What's the deal with hacking nowadays?

bronzewarrior

"88m DROP PARTY HAPPENING in 8 minutes!!!" is being screamed across the map by bankers and players alike =P~ .

Many think of this event as a quitting party but the real truth is that the 88m came from a hacked account.

What's up with hacking nowadays?

My friend was hacked today (3/16/09) and changed his password and attempted to log in... THAT ACCOUNT IS LOGGED IN, PLEASE WAIT 60 SECONDS... he proceeded to sit there for about 15 minutes spamclicking the "login" button to access his account with 131m gp, 163m total xp and a near top 1k slayer level.

He logged off of runescape on 3/15/09 wearing full bandos and gear appropriate for a slayer task, he finally was able to log in and found himself with empty friend and ignore lists and at the grand exchange with a 131m gp cashpile in his inventory. He immediately IMs me on facebook: WTF HE DIDN'T TAKE ANYTHING, HE SOLD ALL MY [cabbage]!

The hacker logged in, turned off private and sold all of the valuables on the ge.

What struck both of us as odd was the fact that my friend's PIN number was also cracked... (trust me it was not 1234 #-o )... he said his virus scanner had not picked up anything and that he didn't really do any harmful things. I told my friend that the hacker was probably going to RWT all the money so he stashed away his money in the various nooks and crannies of runescape which could hold geepee and logged out for the night.

Has hacking become more common nowadays? Many of my friends are getting hacked.

How can hackers manage to crack PIN numbers?

What was the hacker's goal in my friend's case? BH was closed and i'm sure dstones were nerfed so how can they RWT any possible gains?

If PINs can now be cracked, what will give hardcore rs'ers peace of mind when they are away?

What's your view/opinion of hacking and how to avoid it? What would you do if you were in his situation?

Discuss

Xzxpvp7xzx.png

xzxpvp7xzx.png

xzxpvp7xzx.png

2nd troll to 840+ post count.

It's not hacking, it's account scamming.

Also, if his antivirus is AVG, Norton or mcAfee, no wonder it didn't pick up the keylogger.

Has hacking become more common nowadays? Many of my friends are getting hacked.

No..

How can hackers manage to crack PIN numbers?

Someone that knew him well enough to guess.

What was the hacker's goal in my friend's case? BH was closed and i'm sure dstones were nerfed so how can they RWT any possible gains?

Revenge? Just wanting to ruin someone? Again, maybe someone he knew, wanting to hurt him.

If PINs can now be cracked, what will give hardcore rs'ers peace of mind when they are away?

See above

What's your view/opinion of hacking and how to avoid it? What would you do if you were in his situation?

hacking is dumb, gaining things through stealing them does nothing, and now that we cant really gain anything, wth?

Make moneys back!

35b9enp.jpg

I'd say it possibly could be more common nowadays, due to stuff involving RWT. High level accounts can sell for some decent USD, I think. I'll have to ask Lazaro on that.

As for the PIN thing, I'm not sure.

People generally do it for the satisfaction of knowing they ruined someone's day. That's how people are. Can't change that. :|

People are stupid. Honestly, don't be an idiot and you won't get "hacked". Don't use your dogs name as a password. Run an AV scanner. Don't tell your friends your password. Whee, you've just subverted the evil hackers.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Some hackers just like to mess with stuff. Your friend should be thankful that a) he got to keep his account, B) his stuff wasn't all party room'd for the hacker's enjoyment. No severe damage was done besides him maybe losing a few mil if his stuff was sold for less than he originally bought it. But if it were me I'd much rather lose 10-20mil than lose every valueble item I own or my account itself.

There are only a few ways to get hacked. Sometimes the victim is stupid or careless. Sometimes it's a normally cautious player who gets caught offgaurd and gets a keylogger. Very few accounts are hacked by hackers sitting there guessing the password and PIN. Most of the time when this happens its either you have an easy pass/PIN or someone you know betrayed you or stole your pass. Hackers aren't a threat if you use some common sense and caution.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

It's not hacking, it's account scamming.

Also, if his antivirus is AVG, Norton or mcAfee, no wonder it didn't pick up the keylogger.

This. Also, keyloggers can take shots of your screen, so it's just as easy for them to find out a pin. However, I don't think the amount of keylogged accounts has really increased, it's just much more visible now. No one noticed when player X's account was stolen and everything was traded to another account, but it's obvious when there's a 120m drop party.

i remember someone in help and advice who basically said they lived in the middle of nowhere and got hacked for his pin and all his valuables.

He didn't download any [adultentertainment] or any stupid rs enhance/dupe or register with any clans. He had a registered antivirus and was squeaky clean... He said someone full out hacked his PIN number and his password and stole his account. He said no one he knew that played runescape had ever been in the house.

Xzxpvp7xzx.png

xzxpvp7xzx.png

xzxpvp7xzx.png

2nd troll to 840+ post count.

There's no such thing as hacking and cracking in Runescape. The servers have never been hacked, nor have they been cracked, otherwise people far higher leveled and more wealthy than yourself would be losing their account every day.

People who lose their accounts can only be put into one of three categories:

-They lost it to a keylogger

-They lost it to an easy password/pin

-They willingly gave away the password.

That puts you into one of three categories; bad with passwords, bad with computer security, too trusting with others, or a real world trader looking to have your account powereleveled.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Tell your friend to stop giving out his pass. You CAN'T get hacked in RS. Anybody who says they were either a) visits tons of bad sites with keyloggers, B) installed a keylogger, or c) gave out their password. If hacking was possible, Zezima and a thousand other top players would've already been hacked, but they're not.

It's been said before, but the only reason that people get hacked is one of three reasons:

- Their trusting nature,

- Their habit of picking passwords that relate directly to an interest,

- Or their lack of security on a machine.

Your friend probably fell into the second category.

Listen. Tell your friend to not tell anything that might link to your password, or even hint at it. This prevents the simpler cases of players getting hacked. He has a decent AV package, so that's another step in the right direction.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I've only been hacked once and it was when I was lvl 50 for full rune. I got scammed for my password. I did get my account back though. That is a weird case of scamming though. At least he didn't get anything stolen right?

goblin512.png

If you manage to get hacked in the first place its your fault.

People got hacked all the time, its just more people whine about it nowadays.

Decent password, decent recovery's, get jagex to implement optional log in pin, get a decent antivirus, and don't enter your password at random places or download random programs.

Its fairly common sense stuff, if you get hacked, its really your fault. He must have downloaded something dodgy, or something like that. That or hacking really is getting more sophisticated, but i doubt it. Who would waste THAT much time to have runescape, why not go for bank accounts, etc?

O.O

Yeah hacking is such a jerk thing to do, and I hate all of those who do it. -.-

I do remember one time though when a guy gave me a high level account, and told me to transfer all my possessions to it, or else he would take it back. Instead I just put all his current possessions in his inventory, ran out into the middle of the wilderness, and gave someone a nice day. :P

Never talked to him again...

Big_Stingman.png

People seem to put a lot of faith into the stories of these "hacked" players. Honestly speaking if my friend scammed me in RS, I wouldn't admit it to anyone, I would as well go: "OH I WAS HACKED WTF NO ONE IS SAFE!!shift111"

The truth isn't always what we seem to think it is.

IMHO, if someones gonna run keylogs at least run it for something like credit cards or bank information. RS information? Please, use your common sense...

IMHO, if someones gonna run keylogs at least run it for something like credit cards or bank information. RS information? Please, use your common sense...

Because going to jail is always fun, although you can even get in trouble with the law for scamming on runescape -.-

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayl4.png

Quit. PM me if you play The Conduit to exchange friend codes.

whats with the misuse of the word hacking?

hacking implies that the person 'stealing' the account wrote a program/software to crack your password. or used a bruteforce pw cracker... either way, doing that on an rs account is a complete was of time and effort.

its been said before:

-either you downloaded a keylogger

- you entered your login + pw on another site thinking its rs

- you gave your pw to your friend who decided to screw you over.

no hacking involved whatsoever!