Anyway to bring back smithing? or is it dead?

darkdoug

I remember the day when I use to be able to make a seriouse profit off of smithing. That was when Bluerose13x was the only 99. That day is long gone now and my questions is whether or nto smithing can be brought back to life. I love smithing but it is so expensive or slow to level. And waht makes maters worse is that smithing has no purpose now since the highest armour you can make now is rune... which if you become a member is obsolete by the time you are level 70 usually.

what you guys think? anyway to bring it back or is it dead???

maybe lower the required level of smithing for everything and create a new smithable armor in the future??

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if they did make a whole new set of smithable armor that would change the whole skill...all the required levels would change and go up or down. jagex would also either have to introduce an entire new set of items or just make a current item (black) smithable, which would therefore change mining

MyWorldHero.png

Barrows:

Verac- Helm, Brassard x 2,

Torag- Body, Hammers

Karil- Crossbow

Guthan- Body

Ahrim- Hood, Staff

I think being able to repair your Barrows armour at lower costs without bothering to fix them in the player-owned-house would add some life into the skill. Otherwise, there could be a minigame.

Anyway, its not exactly dead. It was expected that prices would go down as more and more people reach 99. Not to mention certain bolts and smelting still gets you profit.

Thanks..

Lord Shalaj

[99 Woodcutting] [99 Strength][99 Hitpoints]

30db3v5.jpg

"What will come, will come..

..We will have to face it when it does!"

Farming With Profit and VineSweeper Guide

A better method to slay Dagannoths!

PvP drops:

[hide=]1 x Vesta's Chainbody, 3 x Brawling gloves (Melee [1], Range [1], Magic [1])[/hide]

Smithing for the most part is dead. Better unsmithable things can be obtained. The only use now is bolts and arrows.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

I like the idea of living up old skills but I disagree with what you are stating: Smithing isn't insanely expensive to lvl anymore. In fact, I can get 99 smithing with around 20M, at a rate of around 90k xp an hour (smithing arrowtips with sc hammers)

Smithing was a doomed skill the moment Jagex started releasing better items than Rune. Not to say that they weren't good updates, but they definitely killed the skill.

Even is Smithing got new armour theres no point to it, Barrows is the most-used armour now.

Jagex made smithing terrible by making everything buyable.

An idea of mine would be to be to make a new part of RuneScape where you can't bring anything inside and must use your own skills to make stuff (and since GE spoils alot of things,we could make a completely different set of armour that can only be traded player to player. since we have the trade limit thing it's do-able without introducing RWT)

Zaroterasu.png

I like the idea of living up old skills but I disagree with what you are stating: Smithing isn't insanely expensive to lvl anymore. In fact, I can get 99 smithing with around 20M, at a rate of around 90k xp an hour (smithing arrowtips with sc hammers)

ya...but for a f2p player smithing either takes alot of patience to mine your own ores, or an insane amount of money...neither of which most f2p players have

MyWorldHero.png

Barrows:

Torag- Body, Hammers

Karil- Crossbow

Guthan- Body

Ahrim- Hood, Staff

maybe it isnt dead. i just like smithing but i wish i could get somethign more out of it....

ya...the only thing we really get out of smithing right now is a little bit of money for alot of time. we need more reward for the massive amounts of time spent

MyWorldHero.png

Barrows:

Torag- Body, Hammers

Karil- Crossbow

Guthan- Body

Ahrim- Hood, Staff

ya...but for a f2p player smithing either takes alot of patience to mine your own ores, or an insane amount of money...neither of which most f2p players have

you are wrong, it always takes an insane amount of money for a f2per. Getting those ores doesnt make the ores free, you know. In fact, it's better to mine rune, sell it, and buy steel bars or whatever. Things you gather arent free.

you are wrong, it always takes an insane amount of money for a f2per. Getting those ores doesnt make the ores free, you know. In fact, it's better to mine rune, sell it, and buy steel bars or whatever. Things you gather arent free.

well technically...if you totally mine all your coal and all your iron/mith/addy/runite it would be totally free minus the price of the pick so therefore...any player f2p or p2p could get their smithing to 99 without paying more than 50k which would easily be albe yo be made back

MyWorldHero.png

Barrows:

Torag- Body, Hammers

Karil- Crossbow

Guthan- Body

Ahrim- Hood, Staff

well technically...if you totally mine all your coal and all your iron/mith/addy/runite it would be totally free minus the price of the pick so therefore...any player f2p or p2p could get their smithing to 99 without paying more than 50k which would easily be albe yo be made back

You could get any skill to 99 without paying ahything -.-

Smithing is a dead skill. The only incentives for leveling that skill, are to meet quest requirements, and to increase total level. The skill itself is useless, with the release of the greater armors (those above rune). Not to say that the skill is doomed, I do have a few ideas that might make smithing useful. Perhaps (now, this is an idea ripped straight from Oblivion) a player may be able to temporarily enhance certain weapons/armors with the smithing skill. Think of sharpening a blade, so it has enhanced stats for a while, before reverting to it's regular state.

100% F2P

Bonesaw342.png

234fcb4520.png

Bonesaw342.png

Bonesaw342.png

99 Defense, Tuesday February 10th 2009

99 Attack, Tuesday May 26th 200962,189th to get it

Smithing is a dead skill. The only incentives for leveling that skill, are to meet quest requirements, and to increase total level. The skill itself is useless, with the release of the greater armors (those above rune). Not to say that the skill is doomed, I do have a few ideas that might make smithing useful. Perhaps (now, this is an idea ripped straight from Oblivion) a player may be able to temporarily enhance certain weapons/armors with the smithing skill. Think of sharpening a blade, so it has enhanced stats for a while, before reverting to it's regular state.

i kinda like this idea. maybe have weapons that you can sharpen? or have them be like degrading weapons that have improved stats the sharper they are and you just need a certain smithing level to re-sharpen the weapon?

MyWorldHero.png

Barrows:

Torag- Body, Hammers

Karil- Crossbow

Guthan- Body

Ahrim- Hood, Staff

Things you gather arent free.

I'd be willing to debate this, but it isn't the thread for it :lol:

The best thing they can do with smithing is allow it to repair, fortify, alter, or otherwise maintain armors. Items like the Dragonfire shield were a step in the right direction - you needed high smithing to make it. Maybe items that you can create, but also require maintenance with smithing- nothing too costly, maybe a system like the crystal shield, but you do the changes yourself with your own materials/skills.

It could also be integrated with Construction or Crafting, metalworking to improve items you make there. More than just armor in your skill halls...

I think its dead. Although its true the DFS was a step in the right direction, they made things too high level already. It would be like need 99 Flech for rune arrows, and 90 for Dragon. Unless they reduce the level to smith metals, it is essentially dead.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

I think its dead. Although its true the DFS was a step in the right direction, they made things too high level already. It would be like need 99 Flech for rune arrows, and 90 for Dragon. Unless they reduce the level to smith metals, it is essentially dead.

i guess this is how i feel also, in comparison to other skills. smithing has no growing room. I mean you need 75 smith to make full adam when most people by the time they get to 75 smith they are over 100 combat....

i guess this is how i feel also, in comparison to other skills. smithing has no growing room. I mean you need 75 smith to make full adam when most people by the time they get to 75 smith they are over 100 combat....

ya...i believe the levels need to be decreased. maybe make it so instead of gaining the ability to make a new item per level be able to make 2 or 3 items per level? jagex really cant bring the armour and weapon levels down to be even with the combat req. because then most people would be able to make full rune, thus bringing the price WAY down

MyWorldHero.png

Barrows:

Torag- Body, Hammers

Karil- Crossbow

Guthan- Body

Ahrim- Hood, Staff

Just a little clarification, please.

Are you talking about making smithing a profitable skill again, or are you wanting to make it a faster skill/cheaper skill to gain xp in?

If you want it to be profitable, then a new type of armour isn't what is needed. I don't believe that smithing will ever become profitable again. Even if you released a new type of armour, or changed the level requirements and xp rates for certain armours, the market would still find its way into the rut we have now: a mithril bar costs about 1.2k each, and that the fastest experience costs the most, the median experience breaks even, and the slowest experience makes a small profit.

If you want to make it a faster, cheaper skill, then a new mine would have to be released right next to a bank, and a furnace. This would, once again, change the prices of everything right now, but the experience would be faster and cheaper.

To make smithing as a fun skill, you would need a new smithing based minigame, sort of what GOP did for runecrafting.

But thats just MHO.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Smithing seems pointless,but it isn't exactly the only skill that's going this way...... crafting, for example, has limited uses, especially for f2p.

runescapess162607v.jpg

Dragon drops: Half shield(cs), med helm(cs) Chainbody (cs) (I do a lot of monster hunting with my clan!

Barrows: Guthan's plateboy [1]

GWD: None yet, only done a few trips

Others: I'd love to be able to let you know.

GentleAura.png

Maybe the introduction of Dragon ore, and the habitility of smithing, modifying all the actual strcuture that smith has, because as you say it is useless (except for the cape and the skill itself) to spend around 50M? in order to do a rune platebody when in Ge it is not more than 100k.

Road to success <--- Blog :D

skala2.png

99 Hunter 99 Firemaking 99 Cooking

99 Thieving 92 Runecraft 99 Fletching

99 Herblore99 Agility

Maybe the introduction of Dragon ore, and the habitility of smithing, modifying all the actual strcuture that smith has, because as you say it is useless (except for the cape and the skill itself) to spend around 50M? in order to do a rune platebody when in Ge it is not more than 100k.

rune plate is more around 50-60k which is more expensive than just the rune ore used to make it...plus the 40 coal required...

MyWorldHero.png

Barrows:

Torag- Body, Hammers

Karil- Crossbow

Guthan- Body

Ahrim- Hood, Staff