Anyway to bring back smithing? or is it dead?

darkdoug

If smithing could have a sort of personalized armor that could be sold, then it would pick up albeit temporarily at the worst.

Example: the ability to carve runes into the armor ONLY during the smithing process that adds certain bonuses like +5 strength for earth, +10 magic for fire, etc. The armor could ONLY be obtained through smiths, therefore limiting the availability of the armor for higher levels and justifying such a high smithing level for making rune.

menea_reuter.pnglinkresponsewb2.th.jpg

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

zaaps1: Incorrect.

You would take the drop rate of the sara hilt and the time needed to kill Zil 1 time. Then you would know how much time you would need to get a hilt. Say, for example, ITEM X is worth 60m and has a 1/250 drop rate (which is decent). It's only dropped by MONSTER Y, which takes 5 minutes to kill solo. You would then need 1250 minutes to get ITEM X. That's roughly 21 hours. Then simple division would mean that each hour you make 2.86m.

SGWD is much like that.

Incorrect. Just because the drop rate is 1/250 does not mean that you will get the item within 250 kills. I believe this was a Times article recently.

Here it is: http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?times=179

[/pwn]

guideicon.png

zaaps1: Incorrect.

You would take the drop rate of the sara hilt and the time needed to kill Zil 1 time. Then you would know how much time you would need to get a hilt. Say, for example, ITEM X is worth 60m and has a 1/250 drop rate (which is decent). It's only dropped by MONSTER Y, which takes 5 minutes to kill solo. You would then need 1250 minutes to get ITEM X. That's roughly 21 hours. Then simple division would mean that each hour you make 2.86m.

SGWD is much like that.

Incorrect. Just because the drop rate is 1/250 does not mean that you will get the item within 250 kills. I believe this was a Times article recently.

Here it is: http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?times=179

[/pwn]

Incorrect.

That Times article may say so, and it is true it won't come (most likely) in exactly 250. You are arguing wit the basic rules of probability. When something is random like this is, the BEST thing to do is to take the average. I already addressed this above.

True, you might not get the drop after 21 hours. You could get it later. But you could also get it earlier. That's the just old argument about probability. If you wanna argue about that, take it to your math teacher.

Just replace "21 hours" with "250 kills", although in this case they mean the same thing.

Do you guys even do GWD yourself?

The numbers are completely wrong. First, the time per kill is variable, if you solo sara it is NOT 5minutes per kill. Hell, it's about 2-3 minutes just for it to spawn.

Second, the hilt is not the only money making drop.

Third, it takes about 20-40minutes to get sara KC. If your going with a group, it takes 20-40minutes to get a group and get everyone geared up, on the same page, and in the same cc.

Fourth, you cannot say "You can make 2m an hour, but my friend made 10m! You can make even more than 2m an hour!" The truth is it works the other way as well, but you don't see anyone bragging about their 750 Zilyana kill dry streak. Just as 1 person can make 10m an hour, 10 people can make 1m per hour, using your messed up estimates.

Fifth, people die and DC at godwars, it's a risk you take. One death will set you back anywhere from 2m to 10m or so. Even if you get your stuff back, a death takes at least 30minutes of your time.

Finally, each invent costs 200-300k. For solo sara, you get about 10 kills per inventory, at about 8minutes or more per kill including spawn. You barely make any money at all. Solo Armadyl is even worse money. I do it sometimes to try my luck, but overall it's not a good method of making money.

Grouping reduces your costs, and it's definately the best way to do any GWD boss.

tipitsig.png

Do you guys even do GWD yourself?

The numbers are completely wrong. First, the time per kill is variable, if you solo sara it is NOT 5minutes per kill. Hell, it's about 2-3 minutes just for it to spawn.

Second, the hilt is not the only money making drop.

Third, it takes about 20-40minutes to get sara KC. If your going with a group, it takes 20-40minutes to get a group and get everyone geared up, on the same page, and in the same cc.

Fourth, you cannot say "You can make 2m an hour, but my friend made 10m! You can make even more than 2m an hour!" The truth is it works the other way as well, but you don't see anyone bragging about their 750 Zilyana kill dry streak. Just as 1 person can make 10m an hour, 10 people can make 1m per hour, using your messed up estimates.

Fifth, people die and DC at godwars, it's a risk you take. One death will set you back anywhere from 2m to 10m or so. Even if you get your stuff back, a death takes at least 30minutes of your time.

Finally, each invent costs 200-300k. For solo sara, you get about 10 kills per inventory, at about 8minutes or more per kill including spawn. You barely make any money at all. Solo Armadyl is even worse money. I do it sometimes to try my luck, but overall it's not a good method of making money.

Grouping reduces your costs, and it's definately the best way to do any GWD boss.

And the number was based on a group going to GWD?

It's not my number, either. I got it from RSOF from a poster who I believe is a very reliable source.

Incorrect.

SGWD is much like that.

Its like that except you didn't factor in the fact that the hilt is ~48m, you have to get there and back, supplies cost, and KC time.

If you factor all of that in, you won't make nearly that much money. If you go in teams, then the amount gained is even less.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

1) In the actually evidence and not mathematical example I provided, it WAS on a team.

2) While that's true, that doesn't mean you "make" any less money, you simply "lose" part of it. Even though you pay taxes, that doesn't make your income on paper any smaller, it just means you need to give up some of it. For companies, they publish their income before subtracting costs for a reason. It's to show how much is possible you can get out of GWD, since the costs of it can easily be changed higher or lower. Yeah, in reality you'd end up with less money than 2m, but you'd still be making about a million more than most other methods.

None of this has to do with smithing either. I brought GWD up because someone thought it was impossible to make high amounts of money. That is not true because you can make a lot of money by monster hunting. Therefore, if you can already make a lot of money, it stands to reason that a new method being introduced does not mean as bad as it may sound.

Its simple. Introduce a new string of hard smithing related quests, each with mid to high level powerfull and expensive smith-able items.

This way, smithing rune does not become obsolete to the average player, but since there are a series of hard quests in order to smith the best items only the most dedicated, high leveled smiths should be able to produce quality items.

Crossed_Body.png

Crossed%20Body.png

1) In the actually evidence and not mathematical example I provided, it WAS on a team.

2) While that's true, that doesn't mean you "make" any less money, you simply "lose" part of it. Even though you pay taxes, that doesn't make your income on paper any smaller, it just means you need to give up some of it. For companies, they publish their income before subtracting costs for a reason. It's to show how much is possible you can get out of GWD, since the costs of it can easily be changed higher or lower. Yeah, in reality you'd end up with less money than 2m, but you'd still be making about a million more than most other methods.

None of this has to do with smithing either. I brought GWD up because someone thought it was impossible to make high amounts of money. That is not true because you can make a lot of money by monster hunting. Therefore, if you can already make a lot of money, it stands to reason that a new method being introduced does not mean as bad as it may sound.

1. If you are teaming, then you'll get much less money. If you CS it, then a hilt will only be 7m-10. EVen less money. If you LS, then your chances of getting the hilt just went up.

2. Actually, if you must pay 90% taxes, then no, you won't make that much. Supplies cost alot. TYou don't make millions. I'm talking about Brews, Sup Restores, P pots, sharks, pots.

Maybe you should try GWD before talking about the figures you are suggesting. Realistically you don't make much more then if you just kill Avainsies until your able to get a very high leveled partner, and/or get high stats yourself.

EVEN if you factor in lesser drops(shards, sarasword), it still isin't that high.

EDIT: 2. I just reread what you wrote, and I misunderstood. Buy the same token I can say you make 100billion a day smithing. IF you don't count the costs, then why don't you buy visages and make a DFS, and sell? 15m Profit right?

Owned_Nex.png

1. If you are teaming, then you'll get much less money. If you CS it, then a hilt will only be 7m-10. EVen less money. If you LS, then your chances of getting the hilt just went up.

2. Actually, if you must pay 90% taxes, then no, you won't make that much. Supplies cost alot. TYou don't make millions. I'm talking about Brews, Sup Restores, P pots, sharks, pots.

Maybe you should try GWD before talking about the figures you are suggesting. Realistically you don't make much more then if you just kill Avainsies until your able to get a very high leveled partner, and/or get high stats yourself.

EVEN if you factor in lesser drops(shards, sarasword), it still isin't that high.

EDIT: 2. I just reread what you wrote, and I misunderstood. Buy the same token I can say you make 100billion a day smithing. IF you don't count the costs, then why don't you buy visages and make a DFS, and sell? 15m Profit right?

Ok so am I ignoring the first part? Just to be safe...

1. It IS on a team

2. Ok so you don't make millions.

Ok, so I don't professionally GWD. I have no data of my own other than math I can calculate, so no personal experience. So let me ask you a question then, is Zarfot reliable? All personally tested most, if not all, of the things he writes in his guides and they're all correct. I say Zarfot is a reliable source. Therefore...

No doubt it is possible to make insane amounts of money using these methods. For example, a friend of mine went to the Saradomin boss with a team of 2-4 people for about 4 hours a day. In one week, he obtained 9 Saradomin hilts, making 280M. That's 10M per hour.

However, there are many factors to be considered. He definitely had very, very good luck, and said the average profit would be closer to 2M per hour, although it is extremely hard to actually determine an average.

Note that last paragraph, "the average profit would be closer to 2M per hour". PROFIT. That quote was that evidence I was basing my logic off of, not personal experience.

If you want my personal experience at Sara GWD, then it's lagging, dying, and losing a lot of stuff. That does not help us at all here. All it does is confirm that lag can kill you at Sara GWD.

Ok now on to your edit:

You used different terminology there, my friend. Before you said you'd "make" less money. No you don't. If you buy expensive supplies, the amount you "make", in other words the income you get, does not change. The PROFIT changes, but not the INCOME.

So for future reference, I don't want to keep basing my logic on just 1 quote, so you tell me, how much can you make at Armadyl/Saradomin GWD with the optimal sized group, on average? Now I don't expect you to know that, but then answer these questions instead:

1) How big is the optimal sized team for each? Answer the rest assuming you are with the optimal sized team.

2) What is the cost in supplies for both?

3) The droprate of a hilt in SGWD is 1/250, correct? AGS? (Hilts for both, of course.) Sara Sword? Armadyl armor? Godsword shards? If you know them, of course.

4) What is the average money you get from the smaller drops, ex. Rune chainbody, from the bosses and generals?

5) How long does it take to kill each? Respawn?

If you answer those 5 questions, I believe we can have a much clearer discussion.

How about the ability to alter existing armour and weapons, and not limiting this to the standard smithable metals? It would be nice to be able to make armour and weapons look more unique and varied, and also to slightly alter its stats for various purposes. If it was ensured that the only way to do this is by the smithing skill, I can imagine it turning quite a profit.

But, to keep mining viable, altering weapons and armour should require bars and shouldn't provide much experience. Making the weapons and armour as we already can is for that.

Alloys could be fun as well. Smithing still has a lot of potential.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

• 2 weeks later...
smithing cannonballs still gives you some money.

What are you talking about? It's terrible money and it's terrible xp. Money is like 100k or something per hour, which is pathetic, and the xp is like 15-20k per hour, which is worse.

I think decreasing the chance of getting a weapon or armor from monsters would increase reliance on player made armor and weapons.

But that would not work since all the modern weapons can't be made by players and are exclusive to monster drops. All your plan would do is raise the prices. No, there needs to be a new type of armor. That's why I have the idea to Revive Smithing in my signature.

But that would not work since all the modern weapons can't be made by players and are exclusive to monster drops. All your plan would do is raise the prices. No, there needs to be a new type of armor. That's why I have the idea to Revive Smithing in my signature.

Yes, it would raise prices for both player made armors and weapons as well as dramatically increase prices on armor and weapons dropped from monsters.

In theory, players would find it to be much more price worthy to buy smithable items than rare, over-priced armor and weapons, thus creating a better marking for player-made armor and weapons.

This will revive smithing and create a more profitable market for it while keeping rare armor and weapon drops as they should be-- rare.

Back to P2p soon!

Yes, it would raise prices for both player made armors and weapons as well as dramatically increase prices on armor and weapons dropped from monsters.

In theory, players would find it to be much more price worthy to buy smithable items than rare, over-priced armor and weapons, thus creating a better marking for player-made armor and weapons.

This will revive smithing and create a more profitable market for it while keeping rare armor and weapon drops as they should be-- rare.

Buy what smithable armor? Rune? That MIGHT help f2p (still TTs to consider), but certainly not p2p, where Bandos, Barrows, Dragon and Granite dominate

[hide=LONG POST]Maybe you should try GWD before talking about the figures you are suggesting. Realistically you don't make much more then if you just kill Avainsies until your able to get a very high leveled partner, and/or get high stats yourself.

Ok so am I ignoring the first part? Just to be safe...

1. It IS on a team

2. Ok so you don't make millions.

Ok, so I don't professionally GWD. I have no data of my own other than math I can calculate, so no personal experience. So let me ask you a question then, is Zarfot reliable? All personally tested most, if not all, of the things he writes in his guides and they're all correct. I say Zarfot is a reliable source. Therefore...

No doubt it is possible to make insane amounts of money using these methods. For example, a friend of mine went to the Saradomin boss with a team of 2-4 people for about 4 hours a day. In one week, he obtained 9 Saradomin hilts, making 280M. That's 10M per hour.

However, there are many factors to be considered. He definitely had very, very good luck, and said the average profit would be closer to 2M per hour, although it is extremely hard to actually determine an average.

Note that last paragraph, "the average profit would be closer to 2M per hour". PROFIT. That quote was that evidence I was basing my logic off of, not personal experience.

If you want my personal experience at Sara GWD, then it's lagging, dying, and losing a lot of stuff. That does not help us at all here. All it does is confirm that lag can kill you at Sara GWD.

Ok now on to your edit:

You used different terminology there, my friend. Before you said you'd "make" less money. No you don't. If you buy expensive supplies, the amount you "make", in other words the income you get, does not change. The PROFIT changes, but not the INCOME.

So for future reference, I don't want to keep basing my logic on just 1 quote, so you tell me, how much can you make at Armadyl/Saradomin GWD with the optimal sized group, on average? Now I don't expect you to know that, but then answer these questions instead:

1) How big is the optimal sized team for each? Answer the rest assuming you are with the optimal sized team.

2) What is the cost in supplies for both?

3) The droprate of a hilt in SGWD is 1/250, correct? AGS? (Hilts for both, of course.) Sara Sword? Armadyl armor? Godsword shards? If you know them, of course.

4) What is the average money you get from the smaller drops, ex. Rune chainbody, from the bosses and generals?

5) How long does it take to kill each? Respawn?

If you answer those 5 questions, I believe we can have a much clearer discussion.

[/hide]

First off, monster hunting is luck. Sure, you can get 100 hilt drops in a row. Sure, you might not take a single hit during a fight. We must look at it scientifically, instead of luck. I can get 100 testimonials saying they didn't get that many hilts.

1) The optimal size can vary depending on stats and gear. USually 1-4.

2) This is based purely on inventory. Too many factos to give a definite number.

3) The hilt dorprate of Sara is 1/250. I don't see how the others are relevant sicne we are talkign about Sara.

4) I'm not going to start factoring the 10k drops. You won't get nearly enough.

5) BAsed on stats, number of people, and gear.

In any case, if you do factor everything in, you don't make nearly that much from GWD. I'm not denying the money from them(I GWD when not training).

Anyways, why ar ewe even talking about this?

Owned_Nex.png

Ok comments are underlined.

First off, monster hunting is luck. Sure, you can get 100 hilt drops in a row. Sure, you might not take a single hit during a fight. We must look at it scientifically, instead of luck. I can get 100 testimonials saying they didn't get that many hilts.

You're the one who's saying to look at it scientifically. I'm the one actually doing it. I use probability to get my numbers, what did you use? If the drop rate is 1/250, then it's pretty safe to say you'll have on by 250 kills. Sure you aren't GUARANTEED one, but what other number would you use? "Look I killed 1k and got a hilt, so if you kill 1k you will get"? Fact is, there's no better number to use, and therefore 1/250 is the most accurate, and is reliable enough to use for all calculations.

Ok. What if all team members have the best gear and 99s everything? What's the best team size?

2) This is based purely on inventory. Too many factos to give a definite number.

I'm only concerned about those who have the most optimal setting. That is, best stats, best equipment, GWD vets, etc. I only want to know what the maximum potential is. So let's assume you were 99s across the board and had 500bil to play with. What's the best equipment?

3) The hilt dorprate of Sara is 1/250. I don't see how the others are relevant sicne we are talkign about Sara.

Ok, thanks. The rest are there because you don't go to Armadyl or Saradomin GWD and ONLY get money off hilts. You get money of other stuff too.

Ok fine. You don't need to do exact math, but what is your approximate?

5) BAsed on stats, number of people, and gear.

Ok, let's say all team members have the best gear with 99s across the board with the optimal team size.

In any case, if you do factor everything in, you don't make nearly that much from GWD. I'm not denying the money from them(I GWD when not training).

So we can get accurate information

Ok comments are underlined.

You're the one who's saying to look at it scientifically. I'm the one actually doing it. I use probability to get my numbers, what did you use? If the drop rate is 1/250, then it's pretty safe to say you'll have on by 250 kills. Sure you aren't GUARANTEED one, but what other number would you use? "Look I killed 1k and got a hilt, so if you kill 1k you will get"? Fact is, there's no better number to use, and therefore 1/250 is the most accurate, and is reliable enough to use for all calculations.

I never disagreed about the 1/250 part. I simply said testimonials are not scientific.

Ok. What if all team members have the best gear and 99s everything? What's the best team size?

1-3

I'm only concerned about those who have the most optimal setting. That is, best stats, best equipment, GWD vets, etc. I only want to know what the maximum potential is. So let's assume you were 99s across the board and had 500bil to play with. What's the best equipment?

Again, too many factors. What combat style are you using? What tactic? It all depends on what you are doing.

Ok, thanks. The rest are there because you don't go to Armadyl or Saradomin GWD and ONLY get money off hilts. You get money of other stuff too.

Yes you do, but I don't think a 1/50 drop of a rune chain is worth mentioning.

Ok fine. You don't need to do exact math, but what is your approximate?

I'd say you'd get about 50k on minor rune drops a trip. Buit that depends on the team size.

So we can get accurate information

The topic is "Anyway to bring back smithing." GWD is good. But saying you make shiploads of money from it is not realistic. Although I think it is the best moneymaker ingame, it does not completely dominate other moneymaking ways. Even in the best case scenario, it is hard to even get a team.

Owned_Nex.png

1) Ok, sorry.

2) 1-3, so average 2?

3) The best of each. The best combat style, the best tactic. When I say best, I mean best as in best cost:time ratio.

4) Maybe not the rune chain, but the helm, skirt, plate, and godsword shards are, right? For saradomin, the gs shards and saradomin sword are good drops as well.

5) But see this whole thing started when someone said that making high amounts of money per hour would unbalance the game. I was just saying that you already can. Maybe not to the extent I said, but it's still possible. Either way, I hold that giving smithing a new metal that makes extremely powerful equipment is the best, and maybe only, way to get smithing back in the game.

1) Ok, sorry.

2) 1-3, so average 2?

3) The best of each. The best combat style, the best tactic. When I say best, I mean best as in best cost:time ratio.

4) Maybe not the rune chain, but the helm, skirt, plate, and godsword shards are, right? For saradomin, the gs shards and saradomin sword are good drops as well.

5) But see this whole thing started when someone said that making high amounts of money per hour would unbalance the game. I was just saying that you already can. Maybe not to the extent I said, but it's still possible. Either way, I hold that giving smithing a new metal that makes extremely powerful equipment is the best, and maybe only, way to get smithing back in the game.

But the whole point is you can't do that anymore. The game's stats were meant to end at 99. Having to go to some special "furnace" or have something is just an illusion. You would have to add these "special" items for everything. MAking extremely powerful armour is simply impossible. There would be no use in monster hunting. Every other "secondary" skill would then need to make sumthing "extremely powerful" or be severely underpowered.

Secondary skills were originally meant to make the equiptment second to the best. Unfortunatly Jagex made the skills too high, and now there is no way to expand on it.

Owned_Nex.png

1) Ok, sorry.

2) 1-3, so average 2?

But the whole point is you can't do that anymore. The game's stats were meant to end at 99. Having to go to some special "furnace" or have something is just an illusion. You would have to add these "special" items for everything. MAking extremely powerful armour is simply impossible. There would be no use in monster hunting. Every other "secondary" skill would then need to make sumthing "extremely powerful" or be severely underpowered.

Secondary skills were originally meant to make the equiptment second to the best. Unfortunatly Jagex made the skills too high, and now there is no way to expand on it.

I'm sure if Jagex could extend it, they would. And I hold that it is the only way possible. Monster hunting was never meant to be the main supplier of armor. If you want smithing back, sacrifices have to be made.

I'm going to be gone from Tif for a while, so let's end it there, at a difference of personal opinion.

I definatly agree that smithing was to be the main supplier of armou but I think that monster hunting should supply the top tier or gear. For most of RUnescape rune was the best or second best gear. It made sense to make the levels go up to 99. But now since the game updates so does the level of difficulty. With that increase better gear must be provided.

I'm sure they could extend the levels. But they won't. If that happened every oter secondary skill would be come obsolete. Smithing is going to be dead for a while. Unless JAgex does something very dramatic.

Owned_Nex.png