Anyway to bring back smithing? or is it dead?

darkdoug

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well smithing on F2P doesn't really need fixing does it? After all most of the arguements of which Smithing doesn't work seem to be centered on there being better armour than what is smithable.

If that isn't the case, then many of the proposed solutions would fail to fix the issue.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

• 4 weeks later...

when bolts for crossbows were made good, this revived smithing for a few months. Jagex need to find a similar, more permanent solution such as this.

Best Rubik's cube time solve: 27.81 seconds.

Completed Facebook Tetris Marathon (670k score)

2000+ total with 5 99's, fletching, cooking, attack, thieving and firemaking

• 2 weeks later...
Smithing is a dead skill. The only incentives for leveling that skill, are to meet quest requirements, and to increase total level. The skill itself is useless, with the release of the greater armors (those above rune). Not to say that the skill is doomed, I do have a few ideas that might make smithing useful. Perhaps (now, this is an idea ripped straight from Oblivion) a player may be able to temporarily enhance certain weapons/armors with the smithing skill. Think of sharpening a blade, so it has enhanced stats for a while, before reverting to it's regular state.

like you could repair barrows armour past 100?

Pit_Guardian.png

Gamertag: EFs Predator.

Games I play: Halo 3, Halo wars.

Smithing is a dead skill. The only incentives for leveling that skill, are to meet quest requirements, and to increase total level. The skill itself is useless, with the release of the greater armors (those above rune). Not to say that the skill is doomed, I do have a few ideas that might make smithing useful. Perhaps (now, this is an idea ripped straight from Oblivion) a player may be able to temporarily enhance certain weapons/armors with the smithing skill. Think of sharpening a blade, so it has enhanced stats for a while, before reverting to it's regular state.

like you could repair barrows armour past 100?

I think he' s reffering to non-degradable items. Sharpening an axe to increase woodcutting speed, or a pickaxe to increase mining speed. Sharpening a scimitar before battle seems logical enough. Sharpening your arrows aswell. Magic would be left out of this though, maybe give magic an empower option.

I like this idea. Let' s say you have three stages of sharpening, one at level 30, one at 60 and one at 90 smithing level. The first give a 5% bonus to all weapon stats, the second 10% and third 15%. At 99 you can sharpen "legendary" weapons such as godswords, sharpen the [bleep]es on the Whip and even sharpen or mend barrows weapons. This wouldn' t last long, let' s say 15 minutes for level 30, 30 minutes for level 60 and 60 minutes for level 90. And you can only sharpen once every 60 minutes, so technically you can always have a sharp sword when you achieve a very high level of knowledge as a blacksmith. Mending degradable items does not however prolong their lifespan, only sharpens them a bit. This also applys to corrupt aswell, but does not make them last longer.

Also, you could let' s say repair armour, in a way. Hammer out and smooth dents, repair slash marks and arrow holes. Polished or repaired armour would increase the same as weapons, 5, 10 and 15% boost in all stats.

And let' s say, once you smith a sword, it' s blunt, so you must sharpen it, giving you extra smithing experience, let' s say 10% of the initial given exp for smithed item. You could also use sapphire, emerald, ruby, diamond or even onyx griding stones to give it an extra +1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 attack bonus. Normal griding stones don' t give any additional boost to accuracy, only said boosts at 30, 60 and 90 smithing. I bet you' re thinking, what about boosts before level 30? None, getting level 30 smithing can be done in about 6 hours if you do it right, so you just sharpen the sword to make it battle ready.

And let' s say, just to not make this too easy for everyone, sharpened swords or mended warhammers and maces are not tradeable, thus giving a new aspect to training smithing. This way pures will have to train smithing to be as good as main characters because, come on, we took the time to learn new skills, let' s start using brains instead of brawn all the time.

If this was released, I say give F2P the second stage and they can sharpen available weapons and arrows. Keep the third and master stage to P2P. To F2P only a ruby griding stone is available, other grinding stones are located in P2P areas.

So what would this update do? Make monsters easier to kill, much easier infact, but it would revive the smithing skill and more or less keep it alive. Might need to decrease the boosts a bit, but this is only a crude idea, so it still has to be polished.

RSN:Mico1311 Combat: 82 Highest skill: Fishing 75 Playing time: From around August 2003

The guy in my avatar is Veso, a comedian mastermind.

In my enlightened self-interest, HERE ARE A FEW SOLID IDEAS to REVITALIZE the SMITHING SKILL:

1) Enable drop trading and eliminate the trade limit.

This would allow people to play multiple accounts at once. In turn, this would REDUCE THE COST OF COAL, due to INCREASED SUPPLY(double the coal in the same period of time). This would then RIPPLE DOWN and make the MERCHANTING CLANS less effective, since people could mine their own coal. It would ALSO immediately have the effect of increased profit margins to high-level smithers.

2) Make coal easier to mine!!!!!

DEAR GOD! This one should be obvious. Coal is mineable at LEVEL 30. I am a LEVEL 86 miner with a rune pick...WHY THEN, do I have to wait 20 seconds (sometimes) to mine a coal?!? Coal should be barely tougher to mine than iron ore. This would: increase supply due to ease of mining, decrease the effect of the merchanting clans on coal, but ALSO increase supply due to the fact that coal would actually be a legitimate ore to POWERMINE.

3) Eliminate an armor set from the game.

I distinctly remember my second day of ever playing RS; I leveled from 10 to 27 combat by killing cows. I never needed to take the time to upgrade: trainer to bronze to iron to steel to mithril. One of those sets should be eliminated (probably iron or steel) and the others should be bumped down as far as mining/smithing requirements BUT NOT stats. Then, add lunar ores, plus dragon scales, plus coal to make dragonite bars, then dragon armor for high level smithers. This would allow F2Pers a bit more action with easier access to better armor at lower smithing levels, and (due to dragon's stats) would restore value to a high smithing level.

Questions? Let's talk in RS. My Username is Pick_And_Chu. Underscores are spaces.

^

Your last suggestion is pretty good, it doesn't make sense how at level 50 smithing you can only make level 5 armour which is used by 1 in 50,000 players. When was the last time you saw someone wearing full steel?

I mean, at level 50 cooking you're cooking tunas and lobsters, most used foods in the game :S

if more people train smithing, more unuused armour enters the game.

The problem is, is that once some aspect of smithing - or any skill that turns raw materials into usable goods - loads of people do it, and, heightens the supply, while at the same time, lowering the demand.

They pay more and more for the raw goods, since for many, experience is worth more than gold, and then sell for less and less, to beat out any potential competition.

And especially with smithing, where that usable good doesn't degrade, and hardly ever 'exits' the game.

Just supply and demand. :l

It sucks, but I don't think there's really any viable way to bring smithing 'back'.

2vlwv1v.png

I personally love smithing and have been chipping away at it since about '03, instead of inhancing/sharpening etc why not give smithers the ability to turn metal items back into bars, but on a decreasing scacle, so a mith body would give you 4 bars of mithril etc.

This would have 2 effects on the system;

1. By creating a scrap value for an item, things normally dumped in general shops would instead return to the economy

2. Smithers after creating 300 almost worthless steel plate-bodys could instead of high alching, melt them down again to off-set the costs.

Any thoughts Tip.it?

vivimancer.png

I think its dead. As soon as Dragon was introduced, it was dead.

However, for low levels smithing is great.

When I started, I got smithing and mining 60+ and was able to make my armor for most of my combat training after that. Cost free Mith for a low level? Priceless.

top_lel_face.png

• 4 weeks later...
I like the idea of living up old skills but I disagree with what you are stating: Smithing isn't insanely expensive to lvl anymore. In fact, I can get 99 smithing with around 20M, at a rate of around 90k xp an hour (smithing arrowtips with sc hammers)

ya...but for a f2p player smithing either takes alot of patience to mine your own ores, or an insane amount of money...neither of which most f2p players have

exactly...getting the money and buying the required items takes long enough. I've been training smithing for 6 months...if I had to take the time to buy my own ores, it would take me years.

Cpchris.png

Cpchris.png

Cpchris.png

Massively expensive, untradable items that can be made only at 99 (and probably take buying multi-million dollar components from NPCs).

Think of the bind-on-pickup epics in WoW. I swapped to Tailoring on my priest just so I could make the Shadowweave set - and the massive cost was totally worth it.

Actually, untradeable products at all levels would help.

The problem is, is that once some aspect of smithing - or any skill that turns raw materials into usable goods - loads of people do it, and, heightens the supply, while at the same time, lowering the demand.

They pay more and more for the raw goods, since for many, experience is worth more than gold, and then sell for less and less, to beat out any potential competition.

And especially with smithing, where that usable good doesn't degrade, and hardly ever 'exits' the game.

It sucks, but I don't think there's really any viable way to bring smithing 'back'.

Create sets only made through smithing with either the ore and bars used being untradable, so you have to mine it and smelt it yourself, or make the set itself untradable so only the smither could use it.

Imagine is Jagex made a Dragon defender that comes through smithing only and is untradable, requires 85 smithing to make. Or if Jagex makes a new untradable ore/bar, that is able of making tradable ( and useful) weaponry, such as new Arrow Tips , new Throwing Knives, or a whole new set of good armour, all with the same requeriments to make as Rune ( high leveled smithers only pl0x).

People would rush to train smithing insanely :thumbsup:

Create sets only made through smithing with either the ore and bars used being untradable, so you have to mine it and smelt it yourself, or make the set itself untradable so only the smither could use it.

Imagine is Jagex made a Dragon defender that comes through smithing only and is untradable, requires 85 smithing to make. Or if Jagex makes a new untradable ore/bar, that is able of making tradable ( and useful) weaponry, such as new Arrow Tips , new Throwing Knives, or a whole new set of good armour, all with the same requeriments to make as Rune ( high leveled smithers only pl0x).

People would rush to train smithing insanely :thumbsup:

No. I've said this before: Untradeable armor is not the solution. What would that cause? All the people would rush to train smithing, making it even more expensive. Then they will only smith that one item they want, then abandon the skill. It doesn't bring smithing "back", it just makes it like a quest. When a quest has good rewards, you scramble to complete it, no matter how much the requirements cost. Then once you finish it, it stays done, and you never touch it again. That's what smithing would be.

Assume there is a dragon defender. Would you bother to make more after you have a few? Would you bother to train smithing after that? No, you wouldn't. So it doesn't solve the problem at all.

However, let's say the defender was tradeable, but the materials were hard to get and the requirements and danger were high, making it profitable. Would you bother to make more after you have a few? Let's say the higher your smithing was, the more efficiently you could make the defender (and therefore make more profit). Would you bother to train smithing after the minimum required level? Most likely, you would.

Of course, there is the problem of these items never disappearing, but to be frank, with the current PvP system it won't be as bad as we remember.