Anyway to bring back smithing? or is it dead?

darkdoug

To bring back smithing (will annoy a lot of players):

a) change armours down levels so rune is smithable at 55 (bring down peoples levels as well, but not exp, or some other compromise, preferably raising levels above 99)

B) Make dragon smithable (60-80)

c) make a new type of armour which is ONLY available through smiths(81-99)

d) get rid of multi-mil dragon / rune drops and replace with admant/rune alternatives

That might work, but its only chance :)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive always felt they should raise the level cap to 126 anyways (its like 185m xp or something like that). This would allow people who have spent real time in the skill the chance to make items exclusive to those who have poured both the time and the money into smithing. Of course there are more negatives about raising the level cap than there are positives.

1-800slayer.png

Retired after 2 accounts and 8 years of scapin...2 accounts over 2,000 total...may my life rest in peace

Brawl Code:5327-0581-3706

one person mentioned something about sharpening weapons,...

what if you could add different bars of metal to different items, to improve their stat,...

like say, if you had a rune 2h,... you could add more rune bars to it to improve its stats. up to a certain degree of course. (we wouldnt want some super rich guy to get a bronze dagger, with 300+ stats on it)

also if there was some advansed armor that we could smith, like the d plate, maybe with more than one skil requirement, it would bring the skill back to life.

ex. you find a special furnise in your travels, wich requires lv 50 construction to fix, lv 70 firemaking to light, and lv 99 smithing to make anything. but this furnise could use dragon lumps to make things other than the d'plate, maybe it could make dragon swords too?

lots of money is tainted, it taint yours, and it taint mine

• 2 weeks later...
Even is Smithing got new armour theres no point to it, Barrows is the most-used armour now.

Jagex made smithing terrible by making everything buyable.

An idea of mine would be to be to make a new part of RuneScape where you can't bring anything inside and must use your own skills to make stuff (and since GE spoils alot of things,we could make a completely different set of armour that can only be traded player to player. since we have the trade limit thing it's do-able without introducing RWT)

I am totally agree with you.

Smithing, at the moment, is almost dead. There is little to no use for smithing anymore, since rune drops are "common" from high level monsters. The only way to bring it back would be to make armor repairable through smithing, or to open up to some new type of mass-producible item, something like bolts or arrowheads. I don't have any ideas of what that item might be, but I find that the main reasons I smith anymore are to make arrowheads and bolts. So, it would make sense to me to open up to new types of similar items...

ae84735921.png

Porsche: It's supposed to go in the rear.

Adding something like the above suggestions would be nice, however my point is Jagex can't do that. It would cause further unbalance in producing skills.

You would have to let fletchers give additions to their bow, cooks something to increase healing. That would obviously never happen.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

I don't think smithing should be made profitable (impossible). Instead, there should be some untradable rewards that give advantage over people without that smithing level.

For example, only people who have level 70 prayer can get the combat boost from the Piety prayer. It's not possible for players with level 1 to buy and use the prayer. Someone with level 99 smithing has currently no advantage over people with level 1.

I like the idea of living up old skills but I disagree with what you are stating: Smithing isn't insanely expensive to lvl anymore. In fact, I can get 99 smithing with around 20M, at a rate of around 90k xp an hour (smithing arrowtips with sc hammers)

ya...but for a f2p player smithing either takes alot of patience to mine your own ores, or an insane amount of money...neither of which most f2p players have

haha tiger thought that was great for some reason :lol:

Best Rubik's cube time solve: 27.81 seconds.

Completed Facebook Tetris Marathon (670k score)

2000+ total with 5 99's, fletching, cooking, attack, thieving and firemaking

[hide=]

I think its dead. Although its true the DFS was a step in the right direction, they made things too high level already. It would be like need 99 Flech for rune arrows, and 90 for Dragon. Unless they reduce the level to smith metals, it is essentially dead.

i guess this is how i feel also, in comparison to other skills. smithing has no growing room. I mean you need 75 smith to make full adam when most people by the time they get to 75 smith they are over 100 combat....

[/hide]

same.

modmarkg.jpg

Ufosssssssss.png

I can tell hopefully in the next year, Jagex will make a new smithing and mining quest. Hoping it may give us an opening to a new ore and area for fast banking. :thumbsup:

Unfortunatly thats unfounded and very unlikely.

Owned_Nex.png

Oh this looks like fun. (5 hours later, yeah, it was fun ::' )

I tend to ramble so have hidden the less than critical parts.

Ok, fast banking is more lethal to smithing than barrows was...

If there is a bank next to a mining site then(apart from being crowded) then you would have a massive amount of ore deluged into the markets, followed by ore prices going down, followed by smithed items going down as well. Thus the 'profit window' is metaphorically shut.

A new ore is, at best, a temporary solution...

New ore will probably go the way of oak chairs after construction was lanuched; everyone will want one and then realised that actually it isn't worth it because barrows is still better, and then no one will want it, flooding the markets with the now worthless ore, taking I don't know how long to recover.

Sharpening weapons, while good on paper is worthless in practice...

I am not saying that people won't do it, but you have to remember the numbers we are dealing with. Say sharpening increased the weapons slash stat by +1 per level, starting at 60. You could almost double the effectiveness of a rune sword(From 47 to 87), taking it almost 20 points clear of a Dragon Sword(68), and over half of Vesta's sword(121)

There is, frankly, no way Jagex is going to do that. Rune sword costing 20K and a Dragon Sword costing 60K, would stuff the economy more than anything because for all the mid-high players(like me) would now be walking around with cheap weapons that killed better than expensive weapons.

This is assuming you limited sharpening to just smithable weapons, since sharpening non-smithable weapons makes the skill no more profitable, and just depreciates armour value. So, while yes it would generate a market for smithed weapons, it would do so at the expense of dragon weapons.

Even if you limited to something like level 85, with +1 every level(if it is +1 every two levels then the increase is rather pathetic) then a Rune sword would have similar but lower stats than a dragon sword, making the endevour worthless, still because at level 85 you are probably going to be able to afford a dragon sword.

Repairing armour has a rather large flaw...

It would require armour to degenerate, and force people to level smithing, otherwise armour would be like a potion, you use it at the start of a fight then you have to buy more. Smithing wouldn't be popular, just annoying.

Smithing is mildly useful in Stealing Creation, that much is certain. But at the same time the rewards(though I like them) are not seen(at least in my experiance of other people) as particularly good. What might be good is if the Volatile armour increased your stats relative to your smithing level.

This though leads to a problem, common with sharpening weapons, you wouldn't know what you were attacking...A level 43 could have armour that was neigh impenetrable and be hitting 20s on you(probably exaggurated). Which would just mess up combat (even more) completely.

So, having read though everything (including the rather large Off Topic sections of this thread) I have come up with a different idea.

Dwarf Magic *Prepares for ridicuale*, Dwarf Magic would be something akin to Ancients and Lunar roled into one. Except that there would be no teleport spells (There has to be a weakeness, and since the weakeness of Smithing is that it takes a long time to cycle from ore to bar to weapon it seems fitting...added to the trend of the spells...)

In any case the spells would be a mix of combat and smithing/crafting stuff. BUT it would be entirely dependant on your Smithing/Crafting skill(The quest to do it maybe requires 40/60 magic, I don't know). While a lot of crafting stuff was taken care of by Lunar, there are still gaps.

Just one last thing before I try a spell list, the 'magic' would be powered by 'cooked ores'; ores that have been through a furnace(A NORMAL furnace you can find anywhere) but have not be changed into bars, these Cooked Ores would be stackable and would have the same costs (in terms of coal) as normal smelting, generating the same amount of XP.

For the following CR is Cooked Rune Ore, CA is Cooked Adamant Ore, CM is Cooked Mithril, CG is Cooked Gold, CSO is Cooked Steel Ore, CS is Cooked Silver, CI is Cooked Iron Ore and CB is Cooked (Tin Ore + Copper Ore). (8 in total)

So a spell list: (All levels are Smithing or Crafting, but would require Cooked Ores), also all attack spells are guarented to hit with at least 1/4 of their max hit, which is in brackets after the max hit for rounding issues.

60: Summon Anvil: Summons an anvil which can be used once, either to smith an item or to block someones way. Lasts 30 seconds (1 CSO, 1 CI and 5 CB)

60: Super heat ore: Copied from the normal spell book and would use runes

62: Super heat ore: Copied from the normal spell book (2 CS)

63: Bronze Fleks: Peppers the target with tiny grains of bronze, doing a max of 8 damage, (instead of always hitting it does 2 damage to the attack stat every time it is cast). (5 CS, 10 CB and 1 Rune Essance)

65: Summon Chisal: Summons a permanant chisal. (1 CSO, 3 CI)

67: Enchant Anvil: Enchants an anvil(must be somewhere fixed) to give you an extra smithing level when you use it (So smithing adament can be done at level 69). Two minutes and it wears off. (1 CG, 4 CSO and 5 CI)

68: Enchant Ore: Enchants all the ore in your inventory, to give you an extra smithing level when you use it(You have to actually use it, not just have it in your inventory). Doesn't wear off. (5 CG, 5 CS and 1 CI)

69: Iron Fleks: Peppers target with small points of iron, doing max of 10 damage(2). (5 CS, 10 CI and 1 Rune Essance)

70: Essance Mine: Summons a tiny essance mine, containing between 1 and 5 essance. Lasts for 30 seconds and can be mined by anyone. (10 CG,10 CS and Randomly 10 CA/CM/CSO or CI(This can be taken from anyone around you, your inventory or the ground))

71: Magic Anvil: Creates an anvil for a minute, which can be used repeatedly, but costs double bars. (4 CG, 5CS and 12 CSO)

72: Steel Fleks: Peppers target with bullet sized flakes of steel, doing a max of 14 damage(3) and removes 10% run energy. (5 CS, 10 CSO and 1 Rune Essance)

73: Tan Hide: Tans hide at no cost. (Different hide costs more Gold Cooked Ore, this would be better worked out by a crafting expert)

74: Sharpen Blade: Gives a plus 5 to Slash and Stab for two minutes, when cast on a sword. (4 CG and 5 CSO)

75: More Chain: Gives a plus 7 to Stab and Slash when cast on chain armour. Lasts three minutes. (6 CG and 3 CS)

76: Cook Item: When cast on someone else it destroys a random item, in their inventory, excluding quest items. Only works on Bounty Worlds and has a 75% chance of failing (100 CG, 50 CS and 2 Iron Ore(uncooked))

77: Mithril Stones: Peppers target with stone sized lumps of Mithril, doing a max of 18 damage(4) and removes 30% of run energy. (6 CG, 8 CM and 2 Rune essance)

79: Fortify Plate: Gives a plus 12 to Crush when cast on Plate Armour. Lasts five minutes. (9 CG and 12 CSO)

81: Edge Blade: Gives a plus 12 Stab bonus when cast on a Dagger. Lasts five minutes. (6 CG and 8 CM)

82: Weighted: Gives a plus 13 Crush Bonus to Maces and Warhammers, when cast on them. Lasts five minutes. (6 CG and 4 CA)

83: Stud Armour: Studs leather armour permentantly. (3 CS and 4 CSO)

84: Adamant Rocks: Hurls Rock sized lumps of Adamant at target, doing a max of 22 damage and removes 50% run energy(5). (9 CG, 5 CA and 2 Rune Essance)

85: Enchant Rocks: Enchants a rock so that it generates enchanted ores, lasts 10 minutes or 20 ores. (10 CG and 40 CI)

86: Extract Ore: Automatically gets ore from a rock, as long as it contains one to start with(Good for mining Rune). (10 CG and 20 CS)

88: Degredation: When fighting bare fisted you ignore armour, lasts for 5 minutes. (30 CG, 30 CS and 5 CSO)

89: Crafting Kit: Summons a full crafting kit, including needle, thread, omni-mould, chisel and hammer. (2 CS and 5 CB)

90: Rune Boulder: Hurls boulders of Rune at target, doing a max of 28 damage(7), fully draining run energy and stuns them for 5 seconds but has a chance of repositing rune ore in the other persons inventory (2 CR, 6 CG and 3 Rune Essance)

92: Summon Ore: Summons an ore up to Adamant at a cost of 2 Cooked ore of the one below(So to summon 1 Adamant it would be 2 CM (Which is 2 Mithril Ore and 8 Coal)) (Also costs 6 CG and 1 CS)

93: Furnace in a Glass: Must be cast on a furnace with molten glass in your inventory. Creates 1 'Furnace in a Glass' which lets you smelt bars, if you have the ore in your inventory, but cannot be used to Cook Ore. The glass will degrade after 140 uses, doing 2 damage, and always smelts Iron at 100% (3 CA, 2 CM, 3 CSO and 1 CB)

95: Trim Blade: Adds a trim of gold around the blade. The Gold trimed blade is conductive to magic (-50 magic defence) and halves the stats of the blade. But has a special attack, when enchanted, by the normal spell book, to do added damage, so even if the blade hits a 0 it will do this damage(50% of special bar); enchant level 1(+3), level 2(+5), level 3(+7), level 4 (10) level 5 (+13) or level 6 (+20). The Blade is non-tradable once it has been enchanted, and cannot be re-enchanted. After 10,000 points of special damage are done the blade will always hit 1 (none transferable, if you get a new blade the bonus is gone) (20 CG and 20 CS)

96: Cook Inventory: At a cost of # of Cooked Ore / 1000 you can destroy the same number of items in the targets inventory(So for 2 items to be destroyed you need 2000 Cooked Ore(any type) but it works 100% of the time), only works on bounty worlds.

97: Convert Ore: Turns mined ore straight into XP(Not really worth it, but for people who just want to burn money) (5 CG and 5 CSO, per ore)

98: Take The Shot: Does a hit with the opponents armour stats at 0. (1 CR, 5 CA and 15 CG)

100: Super Anvil: Hurls a Solid 'Metal' Anvil at the target, does a max of 80 Damage(20), reduces their run energy to 0 for 2 minutes(Even if they use energy potions, though is countered if they have used the Salt Water Pool, the unlimited run energy is cancelled out though), Stuns the target for 10 seconds, reduces all their stats to 50 and sprays the area with different Ores(uncooked), including Rune(up to 50% of how many Cooked Ores were used) (5 CR, 5 CA, 10 CM, 10 CG, 15 CSO, 15 CS, 20 CI, 20 CB and 20 Rune Essance.) If used against a monster it does a max of 80 damage and stuns for 20 seconds.

So it is very much apparent that the price of ore would have to decrease for the spells to become viable...or much more likely, is that more people would mine and Cook(smelt) to make money, leading to a small decrease in prices and put smithing on the same level as Rune Crafting.

[hide=]The spells, though quiet good(well flipping brilliant) at killing people, have very little other use, most of them are (kind of) set in the Jagex mould of useful but useless at the same time. Unless you carried the Ores around while you were doing something they wouldn't be useful...and if you were carrying them it would cut down on your load...Therefore better not to carry the ores and carry what you need instead. Well unless you were mining Essance on a Bounty world...Or doing anything on a bounty world really...[/hide]

Making them always hit has me worried at little...but there is a limit to how many spells you can actually cast because of the rune essance requirement. As well as the cost of the attack, even at the lower end its 1k per hit(supposing you are buying not making), where as at the top end(Rune Boulder) you are paying though the nose, roughly 30k for a single hit, and if you hit a 0 that is a massive amount wasted...and while 7 seems like a lot you can buy a Tuna Potato for 1.3K, which heals 22, three times the amount hit for 30 times less than the cost...and since it is 3 times as limited it seems fair.

The Mini Rune Essance Mine is something else I have concerns about...But the random cost element, added to the ability to extract the cost, from the player, even if they drop or give their high level Cooked Ores to someone else...and the small amount of rune essance up for grabs, and the high cost of it (far higher than a tele to Varrock Tablet to mine it properly) makes it very much a one trick pony...only good for replenishing your supply of rune essance to cast spells when you are down a hole fighting a monster. (Since doing it when PVP would be somewhat foolish)

Not so sure about the Cook Inventory ones...Since I am not a PVP sort of person...Just think it would be a very nice way to destroy people, better than say... Retribution. Added to that it is a new way to rip money out of the game. (Even if you only used Bronze it would be 180K(current market price) per item...Unless they were walking around as a mage with a full barrows and ranger set in your inventory, the spell is too darn expensive. Even then, to make sure you got it, since it would be randomly selected, you would have to pay at least 5.04 Mil, and knowing Jagex you would have a better chance of destroying the good items with higher grade ores...

[hide=]I suppose it might be used as a new way of scamming...trade something expensive to someone and then destroy their inventory...but it hardly seems worth it, just to scam someone...unless you happened to be selling an inventory(minus 1 for your 28k of Cooked Bronze) of God Swords, on a bounty world, and they were carrying only the exact amount of money (since have 28 GP would make it possible not to lose any god swords)...which to me sounds like it is their own ruddy fault...

But even then killing that person would not be too hard...since they can't tele out and are not carrying any extra tele out things...Suppose they could use a Cabbage port or Amulet of Glory to get away...But thats at least time to attack, so hopefully you would stop them...although you might be too gobsmacked that this incredibly stupid thing has happened to fight... But the long and the short of it is that that would be terribly stupid and unfortunate...but no more so than getting an inventory of 27 God swords and trying to fight the KBD without armour...even as you read it you are thinking it is stupid....Anyway:[/hide]

Costs of cooking an item/inventory

Bronze-180k - 5.04 Mil

Iron-241k - Why would you do this?

Silver- 185k

Steel-618k

Gold-210k

Mithril-1135k

Adamant-2305k

Rune-15.8 Mil - 442.4 Mil

Suffice to say it would be expensive, and could be circumvented by carrying around a stackable item...say feathers, or even certifed pots and ecto-tokens(they finally come in useful)

Also the Convert Ore to XP one...its a little tricky because its 2 levels, and would cost masses, but if you reach level 99(and by extention 100) you get a pretty hefty weapon, albeit at a high price(3090+1050= 4140 extra per bar. So, using only Rune, that is an extra 77562900...77.5 Mil extra. Added on to the 302 Mil it would cost to buy all the materials.

Or using Iron, 12 mil for materials and 258.5 Mil extra.

So, if you were doing it speedy, it would cost almost 400 mil. Doing it money wise it would cost 275 Mil. Still, for 2 levels, that is a substantial investment, considering it has been quoted at 50 Mil doing it conventionally.

And even then the use of the super attack is limited by the number of Rune essance you can carry, so if Jagex wanted you to kill something normally it would be simple to force you to have 1 item, thus you couldn't carry enough essance(at one time) to use the spell. Nor could you mine it because the pick axe would get in the way, and whilst dropping the 1 essance and then mining, then dropping the pick, picking up the essance, casting, and then getting the pick back, is possible...it doesn't seem particularly worth it when you think about the price, at least 75K for the Rune alone.

[hide=]It would be fine for someone who had levelled by cooking ores, thus had already spent the money leveling, but for someone who had brought the attack, after buying their way up through Convert to XP, they are doling out money by the armful, and as the arguement earlier shows the money you make from combat is not a massive amount(2 Mil per hour, if you follow the law of averages and didn't spend anything)...So assuming you were killing the Sara GWD person(Never been so...) you would be using 4 super attacks, 300k per kill(assuming you hit 80 3 times out of 4, and the other one finishes them off), and say you require 250 kills to get your 50 Mil sword, you are spending 75 Mil on killing them.

Now if you are only taking Essance and Cooked Ores you have no food, no tele out ability(Except ammy and ring)... but in any case you are rather stuck as to them fighting back. Added to that having to kill the followers before you face them...and you are not in a great position.

Where as if you are fighting in a quest or in the dual arena/tournament, and, like me you shy from combat, being more of a skills/quests person you want something to give you a fighting chance, and being that you made all these Ores yourself, its not costing you anything, so you can give them this super attack and then move in with more traditional range or melee(Magic being unavailable...although I suppose while they were stunned you could mine some essance, if you had brough it in a pouch, dropped the pick, opened the pouch, cast the spell, picked up the pick, summoned an essance mine, and mined some essance while casting normal metal spells.)[/hide]

So Rune Boulder is probably a better spell to cast, it is cheaper and all together more effective in the long run...but probably not as amusing as seeing an anvil sail into someone. :thumbsup:

All in all though I like it because it would bring smithing up to date(With the combat orientated), rather than wallowing in the backwaters of Runescape, only good for F2P-newb money making, who haven't done Rune Mysteries.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

^ is a good idea, but I don't think Jagex can do.

It would cause Smithing to be, once more, THE skill.

You would have to add something for the other producing skills(fletching, cooking, somewhat firemaking). The spellbook idea would be great, but making a spellbook for smithing would outrage players that skill in other skills.

Owned_Nex.png

I'm not so sure:

Fletching is THE skill to make money out of

Firemaking is THE skill to train prayer with (Pyreships and pyre logs)

Cooking is THE skill to heal with (It is bluging with items)

Fishing feeds Cooking, for the most part

Farming has its rare items

Construction has the status

Runecrafting has 20 types of minigame and is popular to boot

Thieving could do with an upgrade, but it already has a minigame, and is not unpopular.

Mining would be even more important if they did this, but that already has minigames and such.

Agility is extremely useful already (in spite of the latest update)

Summoning is extremely useful and a new skill

Slayer is already popular

Hunter I suppose is in the same bracket as thieving

Magic has Ancients, so it doesn't need another wave of attack spells, but maybe this could be more F2P, (just a thought) since skill capes are members only the top spell would only be avalible through wizard mind bombs...so level playing field there.

Range its not uncommon, and has the crystal bow, cannon and such.

Prayer goes without saying, as does Combat.

Woodcutting feeds Fletching, and is incredibly simple to level.

Herblore is extremely annoying but people still level it so obvouisly it has benefits.

Crafting deserves an update as well so maybe some of the higher level 'spells' could have a crafting requirement as well....Trim blade for instance.

Smithing has what? Making nails and bolts and hammering a few top level items together. It is pretty much dead between level 1 and 99, the few highlights are one trick ponies, you can't build a career on smithing God Swords(too my knowladge)...added to that is the prohibitive cost of leveling smithing, there is NO benefit to banking the Iron you mine (Chances are you did the tin and copper, then lost some Iron and thought stuff it.)

So no incentive and no easy-cheap way to level...

Vs

Selling cooked ore and making cooked ore...

It has been left for a long time and now it needs something to smack it into a real skill again. Plus Jagex has shown that it is willing to hack people off for the greater good of the game...GE, PVP worlds, Construction not being free...I once heard a joke

'How many Runescape players does it take to change a light blub?'

'100, 1 to change it and 99 to complain how it was better before.'

Sometimes you just have to do these things and let people get annoyed, then get really enthusastic about how much money they are making from selling tin. Runescape tends to work like that.

Underline'd. Remember we're talking about high levels here.

I'm not so sure:

Fletching is THE skill to make money out of Not really. Moneymaking is only quick with combat, mining, runecrafting, farming and merchanting. Fletching makes money, but not very much at all

Firemaking is THE skill to train prayer with (Pyreships and pyre logs) That's the most xp per action, but that doesn't mean it's the fastest xp. The time it takes to prepare those things overrides the slightly higher xp it gives over dbones + gilded altar.

Cooking is THE skill to heal with (It is bluging with items) I can't argue with that, but how many high levels cook their own food? I don't, and I don't expect many to.

Fishing feeds Cooking, for the most part Right

Farming has its rare items No, not rare items, but it's one of the fastest ways to make money in the game.

Construction has the status And the fun

Runecrafting has 20 types of minigame and is popular to boot Not 20...more like...3? It's popular, but only popular at low levels. If you look at the high level runecrafters, they number very little

Thieving could do with an upgrade, but it already has a minigame, and is not unpopular. It's another one of those quick, buyable 99s that shouldn't get an update

Mining would be even more important if they did this, but that already has minigames and such. I think the only 2 minigames with mining are SC and Stars, and SC doesn't even count since it's not mining-focused.

Agility is extremely useful already (in spite of the latest update) True, but remember its usefulness is often overrided at high levels by herblore (super energies) and summoning (TBs and BAs)

Summoning is extremely useful and a new skill Right

Slayer is already popular Right

Hunter I suppose is in the same bracket as thieving Right

Magic has Ancients, so it doesn't need another wave of attack spells, but maybe this could be more F2P, (just a thought) since skill capes are members only the top spell would only be avalible through wizard mind bombs...so level playing field there. Right

Range its not uncommon, and has the crystal bow, cannon and such. As well as the dark bow, the weapon that has the capability to do the most damage in one shot (96 I think it was, with 99 ranged, best gear, prayer, and darrows with the dbow spec)

Prayer goes without saying, as does Combat. Right

Woodcutting feeds Fletching, and is incredibly simple to level. Right, firemaking too, don't forget

Herblore is extremely annoying but people still level it so obvouisly it has benefits. It has no benefits. There is no benefit to having a higher level herblore. People only raise it for the total levels/prestige. Honestly, making higher level potions does you no good since every singly one of them, without exception, is economically better to buy from the GE.

Crafting deserves an update as well so maybe some of the higher level 'spells' could have a crafting requirement as well....Trim blade for instance. Sure, although usually when you think crafting you think range equipment

Smithing has what? Making nails and bolts and hammering a few top level items together. It is pretty much dead between level 1 and 99, the few highlights are one trick ponies, you can't build a career on smithing God Swords(too my knowladge)...added to that is the prohibitive cost of leveling smithing, there is NO benefit to banking the Iron you mine (Chances are you did the tin and copper, then lost some Iron and thought stuff it.)

So no incentive and no easy-cheap way to level...

Vs

Selling cooked ore and making cooked ore...

Smithing DOES need an update, I agree. I've made up an idea about it too.

It has been left for a long time and now it needs something to smack it into a real skill again. Plus Jagex has shown that it is willing to hack people off for the greater good of the game...GE, PVP worlds, Construction not being free...I once heard a joke

'How many Runescape players does it take to change a light blub?'

'100, 1 to change it and 99 to complain how it was better before.'

Sometimes you just have to do these things and let people get annoyed, then get really enthusastic about how much money they are making from selling tin. Runescape tends to work like that.

Right, the update we need more than anything else is a few hundred injections of maturity into half of the people in Runescape

You will have to forgive me, as a bit of a quest-blinkered person that reads about these things and they all sound very interesting but I don't actually bother with them...so my knowladge is limited to what I know from reading updates and about a year ago when I last did a jack of all traits blitz (When things were rather different).

Additionally its not just about giving stuff to high level people, its about making smithing worth while again, so you need to be able to make money out of it...but Jagex is not going to introduce more skills that circulate money without the ability to take some out.

Low level people are always going to be the major target for Jagex because high level people don't contribute anything except rares...and too many rares flood the markets, so as long as a new rare is released every few months, and the money they circulate is removed in some way, the markets stay bouncy enough to sustain new items being put in.

If a player is going to introduce something to Jagex it is going to have to tick those a few boxes:

Is there a market for it? yes

Does it cater to the average player? yes

Will it be worthwhile to the player? yes

Does it have long term potential? yes

Will it remove money from the game? yes

Are there weaknesses to stop it taking over? yes

Will it not tick a load of people off? What we are trying to work out here.

Fletching

Not really. Moneymaking is only quick with combat, mining, runecrafting, farming and merchanting. Fletching makes money, but not very much at all

Fair enough, but you have to admit that it is a popular skill, it doesn't need a revival. Added to that it is/was a good way to train magic at the same time.

Firemaking

That's the most xp per action, but that doesn't mean it's the fastest xp. The time it takes to prepare those things overrides the slightly higher xp it gives over dbones + gilded altar.

I will give you firemaking. But I will say that firemaking has the potential if people want to use it, smithing doesn't have that potential...if you smith a rune plate body you are at the top of your, regular, game. Smithing other items is rare.

Cooking

I can't argue with that, but how many high levels cook their own food? I don't, and I don't expect many to.

Again it is a personal thing, I cook my own food. But even if you don't, it is a good way to make money...

Fishing

Right

Farming

No, not rare items, but it's one of the fastest ways to make money in the game.

Again my info is out of date, but the result is the same.

Construction

And the fun

Can't say ripping out twenty thousand oak chairs is fun, but it is popular, so...

Runecrafting

Not 20...more like...3? It's popular, but only popular at low levels. If you look at the high level runecrafters, they number very little

I suppose in Runescape you get to a certain level and you stop working and start killing stuff...You become middle class.

I suppose you could say that any skill, that isn't combat related, eventually reaches a point where it stops being trained and is only used to feed combat.

Agility and Magic being exceptions because you get around faster at higher levels(teleports and short cuts)

Thieving

It's another one of those quick, buyable 99s that shouldn't get an update

How do you buy thieving...surely by its nature it takes a long time(geninuly interested to PM me :shock: )

In any case it is not particually capable of getting an upgrade, since stealing from other players would not be on Jagex's list of acceptable things to do.

Mining

I think the only 2 minigames with mining are SC and Stars, and SC doesn't even count since it's not mining-focused.

As you said it is a major way to make money already...and has always been popular.

Agility

True, but remember its usefulness is often overrided at high levels by herblore (super energies) and summoning (TBs and BAs)

I don't know, short cuts are still pretty important.

Summoning

Right

Slayer

Right

Hunter

Right

Magic

Right

Range

As well as the dark bow, the weapon that has the capability to do the most damage in one shot (96 I think it was, with 99 ranged, best gear, prayer, and darrows with the dbow spec)

Prayer & Combat.

Right

Woodcutting

Right

Herblore

It has no benefits. There is no benefit to having a higher level herblore. People only raise it for the total levels/prestige. Honestly, making higher level potions does you no good since every singly one of them, without exception, is economically better to buy from the GE.

Its still rather popular though, which is the whole point to what we are talking about, making smithing popular again. Herblore is a flawed skill because herbs are difficult/expensive to get, making potions is expensive, and thus good to make money from(Or else people wouldn't sell them on the ge, so then people couldn't get them so they have to make them...its a nice cycle), thus requires a handful of people to collect the secondary ingredient. Hence it makes money, hence it is popular, hence updating is not really required.

Crafting

Sure, although usually when you think crafting you think range equipment

Indeed, it is a subsiduary skill that is good for making a few relatively low cost items. There is no money in it, and no real need to level it signficantly. It is forgotten and needs a proper update too ...but since this is about smithing...

Smithing

Smithing DOES need an update, I agree. I've made up an idea about it too.

Then please post it.

Right, the update we need more than anything else is a few hundred injections of maturity into half of the people in Runescape

!!! if you did that then Runescape wouldn't work...it relies on low level people checking out the GE and going 'If I did that, then I would be rich!' ;)

It would be nice, but the immaturity of RS has a great deal of benefits too, not least of all is that you can be stupid occationally and not be branded a lunatic for life...If people were not immature then TET could not do half the things they do, even if I am a serouis person that never gets involved with them.

'Humanity has advanced, when it has advanced at all, not by being serouis, mature and sensible but immature, rebellious and playful.'

I wasn't trying to bring up any points when I commented on the particular skill analysis you did. I was just correcting things more than arguing. I do, however, have to disagree when you say that more a skill to be successful, it needs content for all levels. Now, it SHOULD have content that caters to all players, of course. Why should high-levels be treated differently when everyone contributes the same? (Generally.) But, I like to go for "the quick and effective fix". While updating the entire skill to give players from 3-138 something fun to do is great, it's generally unnecessary if you want to revive that skill. All you really need is some high-level content so mid-level players (which make up the majority) have something to aim for. That's the minimum and the easiest, and it's also the option that would be least prone to unexpected problems, such as sudden shifts in the economy.

So to summarize, a full update is great, but much of it I feel is "wasted" or simply "risky". The more efficient option is to add high level content.

Now onto the skill analysis you did. Once again, these are corrections more than anything else. I agree with the general point you brought up.

Underlined again

Fletching

Fair enough, but you have to admit that it is a popular skill, it doesn't need a revival. Added to that it is/was a good way to train magic at the same time.

It was, you're right. Not anymore. Generally, now alching is considered one of the less efficient options. Diamond bolt enchanting is almost twice as fast and costs half as much. String jewelry and plankmake are even faster, and come with a higher price tag. In actually, ice bursting rock lobsters is the most efficient option.

Firemaking

I will give you firemaking. But I will say that firemaking has the potential if people want to use it, smithing doesn't have that potential...if you smith a rune plate body you are at the top of your, regular, game. Smithing other items is rare.

Firemaking and smithing are in the "useless skills" catagory along with herblore. You can't do anything with it. I honestly don't know how 1 firemaking will benefit over 99 firemaking. Sure you can make a fire faster. So what? So you can burn other logs? Why can't you just bring normal ones? Maybe the most efficient (in time v usefulness terms) for firemaking is either 1 or 30 (cheap willow logs for fires).

Cooking

Again it is a personal thing, I cook my own food. But even if you don't, it is a good way to make money...

Cooking food GENERALLY loses money. The exceptions are mantas and sea turtles. Of course making stuff like pizzas will profit, but it's so slow it's rarely worth the trouble.

Construction

Can't say ripping out twenty thousand oak chairs is fun, but it is popular, so...

Lol. Well TRAINING con isn't fun, but USING con is, am I right?

Runecrafting

I suppose in Runescape you get to a certain level and you stop working and start killing stuff...You become middle class.

I suppose you could say that any skill, that isn't combat related, eventually reaches a point where it stops being trained and is only used to feed combat.

Agility and Magic being exceptions because you get around faster at higher levels(teleports and short cuts)

Very true. It happens to every skill, with the rare exception.

Thieving

How do you buy thieving...surely by its nature it takes a long time(geninuly interested to PM me :shock: )

In any case it is not particually capable of getting an upgrade, since stealing from other players would not be on Jagex's list of acceptable things to do.

Buyable? I was spacing out sorry, but the rest is true. It's one of the fastest 99s along with prayer, con, ranged, and I think 2 more I forgot. I think the number was 60 or so hours to 99 via blackjacks. Very, very quick.

Agility

I don't know, short cuts are still pretty important.

Shortcuts are important, but really not as important. In the modern RS age, you really don't need shortcuts. For most, TB or other run restores would render the shortcut unnecessary, and the few that DO cut off a lot of time (like the Tav dungeon or Elf ones) lead to places that shouldn't be used because there are better options to access equal areas. Take the elf ones for example. Why use that rocky pass when you can charter ship to Tyras Camp with the same quest requirements?

Herblore

Its still rather popular though, which is the whole point to what we are talking about, making smithing popular again. Herblore is a flawed skill because herbs are difficult/expensive to get, making potions is expensive, and thus good to make money from(Or else people wouldn't sell them on the ge, so then people couldn't get them so they have to make them...its a nice cycle), thus requires a handful of people to collect the secondary ingredient. Hence it makes money, hence it is popular, hence updating is not really required.

To call a skill popular, I would have to say that it would need to have lots of users across all the total and combat level ranges. This certainly isn't the case. Most members don't even get it past 40. It's a huge money drain, and most people skip over it unless they happen to farm their herbs.

Smithing

Then please post it.

The link is in my sig, actually.

!!! if you did that then Runescape wouldn't work...it relies on low level people checking out the GE and going 'If I did that, then I would be rich!' ;)

It would be nice, but the immaturity of RS has a great deal of benefits too, not least of all is that you can be stupid occationally and not be branded a lunatic for life...If people were not immature then TET could not do half the things they do, even if I am a serouis person that never gets involved with them.

'Humanity has advanced, when it has advanced at all, not by being serouis, mature and sensible but immature, rebellious and playful.'

Nicely said, but I still would like to see at least some better human-human interaction quality in the community. Maybe not a complete wipeout of stupidity, since we do need it, but lesser amounts of it when interacting to others.

So to summarize, a full update is great, but much of it I feel is "wasted" or simply "risky". The more efficient option is to add high level content.

It only encourages power leveling though. It would be like if you added a 'auto kill' function to skill capes, people would power level...how much simpler an update, and all skills would have it so if you liked a particular skill you liked, you could level that...

A big upgrade means that someone who started leveling and then started doing something else actually gains something, rather than being told 'yeah thats great, finish leveling and we'll talk'

Fletching

It was, you're right. Not anymore. Generally, now alching is considered one of the less efficient options. Diamond bolt enchanting is almost twice as fast and costs half as much. String jewelry and plankmake are even faster, and come with a higher price tag. In actually, ice bursting rock lobsters is the most efficient option.

Hmmm, well maybe it needs an update at some point then, but I think it is ok at the moment, correct?

Firemaking

Firemaking and smithing are in the "useless skills" catagory along with herblore. You can't do anything with it. I honestly don't know how 1 firemaking will benefit over 99 firemaking. Sure you can make a fire faster. So what? So you can burn other logs? Why can't you just bring normal ones? Maybe the most efficient (in time v usefulness terms) for firemaking is either 1 or 30 (cheap willow logs for fires).

Yes...but it does have value in the end. Something like the Beacon system, as well as making pray pots.

Cooking

Cooking food GENERALLY loses money. The exceptions are mantas and sea turtles. Of course making stuff like pizzas will profit, but it's so slow it's rarely worth the trouble.

You know, I really don't get how...I mean a potato, some tuna, sweetcorn and butter...Or Milk and you get 1.3k out of it. All of these are easy to get, the sweetcorn is probably the most difficult thing there, of which you can farm easily.

Construction

Lol. Well TRAINING con isn't fun, but USING con is, am I right?

Runecrafting

Very true. It happens to every skill, with the rare exception.

Thieving

Buyable? I was spacing out sorry, but the rest is true. It's one of the fastest 99s along with prayer, con, ranged, and I think 2 more I forgot. I think the number was 60 or so hours to 99 via blackjacks. Very, very quick.

Agility

Shortcuts are important, but really not as important. In the modern RS age, you really don't need shortcuts. For most, TB or other run restores would render the shortcut unnecessary, and the few that DO cut off a lot of time (like the Tav dungeon or Elf ones) lead to places that shouldn't be used because there are better options to access equal areas. Take the elf ones for example. Why use that rocky pass when you can charter ship to Tyras Camp with the same quest requirements?

Depends how you train...If you do prayer via the ectofuctus then the short cut is really helpful. Also its not just the major shortcuts, its the little ones like the top of the grand exchange to edgevile.

Herblore

To call a skill popular, I would have to say that it would need to have lots of users across all the total and combat level ranges. This certainly isn't the case. Most members don't even get it past 40. It's a huge money drain, and most people skip over it unless they happen to farm their herbs.

Well, not a lot we can do about that...new potions are too expensive, according to you...again I don't get how, since the GE requires people to sell it, but I trust you on that because I know it doesn't make sense.

Smithing

The link is in my sig, actually.

Yup, missed that.

Nicely said, but I still would like to see at least some better human-human interaction quality in the community. Maybe not a complete wipeout of stupidity, since we do need it, but lesser amounts of it when interacting to others.

That is sort of what Tip It is about...Providing a sense of community...Though I would like a bigger community thing, I don't think the Runescape system could work with it, since people would take advantage of anything useful.

It only encourages power leveling though. It would be like if you added a 'auto kill' function to skill capes, people would power level...how much simpler an update, and all skills would have it so if you liked a particular skill you liked, you could level that...

A big upgrade means that someone who started leveling and then started doing something else actually gains something, rather than being told 'yeah thats great, finish leveling and we'll talk'

It would improve leveling in general by making the skill for known to the public. How good would RC be without 91? Surely, most of the people who train it at level 40-ish aren't aiming for 91, and they all know that rc is beat money-wise at low levels by dragons. So why train? For the prospect of something better.

Fletching

Hmmm, well maybe it needs an update at some point then, but I think it is ok at the moment, correct?

Right.

Firemaking

Yes...but it does have value in the end. Something like the Beacon system, as well as making pray pots.

True.

Cooking

You know, I really don't get how...I mean a potato, some tuna, sweetcorn and butter...Or Milk and you get 1.3k out of it. All of these are easy to get, the sweetcorn is probably the most difficult thing there, of which you can farm easily.

But it takes more time than optimal time. That's the whole idea.

Agility

Depends how you train...If you do prayer via the ectofuctus then the short cut is really helpful. Also its not just the major shortcuts, its the little ones like the top of the grand exchange to edgevile.

Right, I suppose. But for both examples you mentioned there are better options. Ectofungus < Gilded Altar. GE shortcut < GE teleport (You can relocate the Varrock tele there). Agility is really only good for low levels.

That is sort of what Tip It is about...Providing a sense of community...Though I would like a bigger community thing, I don't think the Runescape system could work with it, since people would take advantage of anything useful.

Right, plus if someone you don't think is around Tif, you can ignore them much easier. :lol:

Smithing, once, the most sought after 99. Why was it sought after? Because it was the most profitable. In the last few years, Smithing has become almost a useless skill. I remember I used to be able to make profit from smithing mithril items. Now it's hard to sell mithril losing money.

A big change needs to happen with smithing. After the introduction of Sacred Clay hammers, there's very little 'achievement' left in smithing. It costs less, and is two times faster than it once was. It was rare to see someone with 99 smithing, now it's become a looked past achievement.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

Smithing, once, the most sought after 99. Why was it sought after? Because it was the most profitable. In the last few years, Smithing has become almost a useless skill. I remember I used to be able to make profit from smithing mithril items. Now it's hard to sell mithril losing money.

A big change needs to happen with smithing. After the introduction of Sacred Clay hammers, there's very little 'achievement' left in smithing. It costs less, and is two times faster than it once was. It was rare to see someone with 99 smithing, now it's become a looked past achievement.

Wrong. It didn't get twice as fast, it's almost the same speed (a bit faster, but not double the speed). The only real change is that it's half the cost.

The funny thing is that you can smith Dragon Platebodies at level 92 but you need 99 to smith a damn Rune Platebody.

It is pretty damning evidence for the popularity of smithing when Jagex makes a mistake and no one notices till months later.

The funny thing is that you can smith Dragon Platebodies at level 92 but you need 99 to smith a damn Rune Platebody.

It is pretty damning evidence for the popularity of smithing when Jagex makes a mistake and no one notices till months later.

Well, in Jagex's defense I would like to mention that you aren't "smithing" a Dragon Platebody, you are "repairing" it. Think of it this way, repairing is totally different from smithing. You can repair barrows at 1 smithing, but as you are better at smithing, you can repair it better and thus more cheaply. Once you gain enough xp in smithing, you can repair rare armor you otherwise wouldn't be able to make by yourself, like the D square, DFS, and D plate.