Interesting/Epic Chemical Reactions?

Dizzle229

I need some help in finding a video. It started today in Science class.

My teacher showed a video of some guy putting the different Alkoli metals in water to test the reaction of each one. Starting with Sodium, it went all the way down to Caesium. But there should have been one other one, Francium, at the end.

I asked the teacher about it, and she said that Francium is very rare, only about 400 grams of it exist on Earth, and it's radioactive.

Now for the fun part. Does anyone have a video of someone putting Francium in water? Supposedly it should react way, WAY more violently than Caesium (which is the second most violent one, beaten only by Francium).

This is a video of Caesiums reaction with water.

[yt]mEMZoFV_1-M[/yt]

And that was only a small amount.

Consider Francium as the nuke of the Alkoli metals. A video of Francium + Water would probably be really epic.

The problem: Because it's rare, it may never have been recorded, and if it has, I sure can't find the vid.

Mods, if you feel this is spam feel free lock.

People can also post stuff about cool chemical reactions! (Not just videos though). ~Lionheart_0

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure about this video, but didn't Mythbusters test something similar (doubt they would have used Francium) based on faked videos they saw on Youtube? Let me know if you find the video you are looking for. I would be interested in watching it.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but something to watch.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

A bit of searching, and I found a thread on some other forum asking much the same question. This is one of the responses:

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum ... 4#msg16334

Francium is the most reactive alkali metal, it is so reactive people cannot contain it, it is so reactive as soon as you see it, it has gone, unlike lithium etc that reacts with water francium doesnt need water just atoms in the air!! This is why there are no videos, if you look at francium on the periodic table there is no exact atomic weight it is wrote (233) this is because they cannot contain it for the time to takes its weight properly.

http://www.webelements.com/francium/

Brief description: francium occurs as a result of ? disintegration of actinium. Francium is found in uranium minerals, and can be made artificially by bombarding thorium with protons. It is the most unstable of the first 101 elements. The longest lived isotope, 223Fr, a daughter of 227Ac, has a half-life of 22 minutes. This is the only isotope of francium occurring in nature, but at most there is only 20-30 g of the element present in the earth's crust at any one time. No weighable quantity of the element has been prepared or isolated. There are about 20 known isotopes.

Doesn't look like we will be finding a video. That would be interesting though.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

I'm not sure about this video, but didn't Mythbusters test something similar (doubt they would have used Francium) based on faked videos they saw on Youtube?

I remember that episode.. but it was some more common metal... I can't remember for the life of me what it was however. #-o

I like stir fry

Protoguy.png

protoguy.png

Doubt you'll find anything like that soon. You could search for reactions between alkali metals and halogens though. Those should be quite strong as well, specially between Caesium and Fluorine.

This signature is intentionally left blank.

i prefer physics to chem

just take some pure water try and get as few minerals as possible and bring it to its boiling point. the water actually won't boil as there are to few particles it it to cause a reaction to the heat. the energy that would have been released by the water bubbling is then stored inside of the water. put on goggles stand back and add anything from a spoon to a pinch of sand. all the energy stored in the water is then released all at once and boom.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

I thought Francium had to be man-made or whatever and is really unstable.

I can imagine it being really expensive, and probaly illegal for lots of people to even have... The periodic table in our class doesn't even have a picture of it so..

Doomy edit: I like sheep

Francium + hydrochloric acid. Go.

This.

Brainiac had exploding metals on it, they were exploding them in bathtubs we watched it in science. ::'

I'd love to see a Francium explosion though. Maybe the government could put it on YouTube? I bet they've got some hidden away in secret.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Not worth it. There aren't enough molecules of francium to warrant a decent explosion. You'd get much better results from Caesium + Strong Acid.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

This thread was already "/thread'd" by the fact that francium is unobtainable in a stable form as it reacts and breaks down as soon as it comes into existence, therefor is IMPOSSIBLE to see react in water.

[iNSERT "I R EATIN TEH SHIX ATM" BILL COSBY SIGNATURE GIF HERE, LOL]

Francium is so ridiculously rare, reactive and radioactive that we can barely weigh it, let alone observe it's reactions. The best you're going to get out of the Alkali metals is Caesium, which is still capable of impressive explosions when reacting with water and other substances.

Here's something to think about. We are close to completely filling period 7 for the Periodic Table, of which Francium is a member. If we ever manage to discover an element in period 8, the most likely one we will find first is the element after Francium in the Alkali metal group. It currently holds the systematic name Ununennium. Imagine the explosions.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Francium is so ridiculously rare, reactive and radioactive that we can barely weigh it, let alone observe it's reactions. The best you're going to get out of the Alkali metals is Caesium, which is still capable of impressive explosions when reacting with water and other substances.

Here's something to think about. We are close to completely filling period 7 for the Periodic Table, of which Francium is a member. If we ever manage to discover an element in period 8, the most likely one we will find first is the element after Francium in the Alkali metal group. It currently holds the systematic name Ununennium. Imagine the explosions.

Hehe. I always lol at that element. Ununennium. It's so funny to say.

Caesium is pretty awesome but Francium would be really epic to see, same with Ununennium if we could make it a'splode.

Tbh I don't care what I just want to see explosions. ::'

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Caesium + Francium = ???

image.png image.png

Oh yeah, and I've thought of taking babies and throwing them. For funsies. - Lenticular J

ShamanSniper.gif

ShamanSniper.png

"Isn't it pathetic how everything in our society is built around someone screwing someone else out of their money?" - killerbeer0 on American Society

Rebdragon can't wiz a woz.

As Lionheart edited into the initial post, since Francium doesn't exist on video until a way to contain it is found, just post awesome and interesting chemical reactions of things, doesn't just have to be the Alkoli metals.

Could Francium be stored in a vacuum?

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

It'd still decay quickly. By putting it in a vacuum you are only preventing it from reacting with the air.

If you simply want to see something flashy, just watch a Hydrogen/Oxygen reaction. That should be enough.

This signature is intentionally left blank.

As Lionheart edited into the initial post, since Francium doesn't exist on video until a way to contain it is found, just post awesome and interesting chemical reactions of things, doesn't just have to be the Alkoli metals.

Could Francium be stored in a vacuum?

Anyone heard of alchemy? lol?

Well actually...

It could be done IF:

1) Through alpha decay, An unstable isotope of Actinium (Ac), If it were to lose 2 protons and 2 neutrons through alpha decay. It would then turn into Francium... (unsure about atomic masses however)

2) Beta minus decay, An unstable isotope of Radon (Rn), If it were to have a neutron turn into a proton. It would then turn into Francium.

3) Beta plus decay (positron emission, for the hardcore), An unstable isotope of Radium (Ra), If it were to have a proton tun into a neutron. It would turn into Francium.

If only... :roll:

(hope you enjoyed a brief physics lesson)

Luck be a Lady

It'd still decay quickly. By putting it in a vacuum you are only preventing it from reacting with the air.

If you simply want to see something flashy, just watch a Hydrogen/Oxygen reaction. That should be enough.

So basically, if Francium touches any atoms other than Francium, pop?

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

So basically, if Francium touches any atoms other than Francium, pop?

Well, yeah...

Because Francium has an atomic number of 87, it is most likely to be unstable... Being that any number above 82 (ie Lead) tend to be unstable and radioactive...

Francium would rapidly decay in the air until it got below 82 I am assuming, I haven't gone into much depth, I'm applying my own knowledge to this... Also, I'm not entirely sure what type of radiation it is.

But francium does not go pop if it touches with all atoms... Although yeah, it's quite unstable... There is bound to be something which it can be contained in...

EDIT: The numbers on the periodic table, do actually mean something...

Luck be a Lady