horsemanship?

tigershelby2

me and my friend were discussing how this could possibly be a skill. my friend said that there wasnt much to it but i came up with a few points to make it a very diverse skill.

different breeds of horses

different saddles and equipments

different terrain

fighting horseback? like range and melee and mage

different animals, not just horses? like big rats at lvl 1 and so on to dragons?

the only real problem i have thought of with this skill is how would you train? would it be kinda like agility where there are courses? or just some other new way?

MyWorldHero.png

Barrows:

Verac- Helm, Brassard x 2,

Torag- Body, Hammers

Karil- Crossbow

Guthan- Body

Ahrim- Hood, Staff

Well as far as i know theres not that many horses in Runescape. And few to none knights on horseback. (Might be a little off on this one).

The only mounts i have seen is the Terrorbird and the Tortoise that the Gnomes ride on.

I dont see how it could work. Riding horses , Unicorns , Camels and Dragons would be cool, but there is just know way imo that this could be implemented with having a special place you can only do it in.

What i could see happen is it together with the rumored sailing beeing some sorta travel skill to take you from place to place. (Ocarina of Time Style)

Back when RS2 was being introduced Paul said adding horses and mounts, thus making dozens of people on the screen move at dramatically different speeds (not counting running) would make the java-based game engine crawl and lag badly to the end-user, not so much for the server.

It's a good idea in theory, they have probably considered it, but knowing the technical limitations of Java it's somewhat unlikely. Only time can tell... And they can still improve the engine, it's not like it's reached the final stage

Back when RS2 was being introduced Paul said adding horses and mounts, thus making dozens of people on the screen move at dramatically different speeds (not counting running) would make the java-based game engine crawl and lag badly to the end-user, not so much for the server.

It's a good idea in theory, they have probably considered it, but knowing the technical limitations of Java it's somewhat unlikely. Only time can tell... And they can still improve the engine, it's not like it's reached the final stage

well ya...they would need a special place to train, or train low levels then only the high levels can ride around

MyWorldHero.png

Barrows:

Verac- Helm, Brassard x 2,

Torag- Body, Hammers

Karil- Crossbow

Guthan- Body

Ahrim- Hood, Staff

As a former player of WoW, I see no reason to add mounts to Runescape. You can travel across runescape in roughly the time in takes to run from Silvermoon city to the Western Plaguelands (by road), which is about less than one-fifth of the total landmass of Azeroth or less than one-eighth when adding Outland and Northrend continents.

We take for granted how close the cities are. In fact, they're so close it's completely unrealistic. I would trade three months of updates for JUST a four or five times bigger world by just spacing everything out. Then you could justify mounts, but then we'd be right back where we started and mount travel time from the new Falador to Varrock being the same as walking from the old Falador to Varrock.

menea_reuter.pnglinkresponsewb2.th.jpg

It would definitely lag like crazy. The problem with the RS engine is that it loads the map as you go, so it would be loading much more often.

If they could get around that limitation, I don't think it should be a skill. You just buy a horse for like 10 mil (to keep out the noobs :-) and ride around. That would be cool.

guideicon.png

I doubt it to be honest, Jagex has been adamant all along that horses would never be added to the game.

never read anything about that before

It used to be on a sticky in the RSOF do not suggest list, but surprise! It's not there anymore.

It is extreamly hard to run Runescape. Adding a new skill would cause too much trouble for the Jagex moderators.

:? How long have you played? Jagex always adds new skills to the game.

On topic: Aside from the "cool" factor, what uses would it have? In other words, how would it tie in to already existing game content. As it is, teleporting would still be a faster and more efficient method. If it created an advantage for combat, then would they have to retool our combat levels again for this?

rssig2.png

i personally think it's not a great idea.

there are many efficient ways of getting around on runescape, why add something just for a "pizzazz" factor? it would make the game lag like crazy, especially for those who already have bad connections. and as someone already said... different speeds etc would be hellish to program in.

basically, it might work on a game which is more polished eg wow... but on runescape, i like it as it is. i'd hate a horsemanship aspect to the game.

At this point in the game, the question shifts from "is it technically possible" to "why even bother". The amount of teleportation/transportation tools we have at our disposal already eclipses the need for any sort of mount; besides, the RS game world isn't big enough to justify it yet.

You should've said something three years ago, when people wanted mounts.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

As a former player of WoW, I see no reason to add mounts to Runescape. You can travel across runescape in roughly the time in takes to run from Silvermoon city to the Western Plaguelands (by road), which is about less than one-fifth of the total landmass of Azeroth or less than one-eighth when adding Outland and Northrend continents.

We take for granted how close the cities are. In fact, they're so close it's completely unrealistic. I would trade three months of updates for JUST a four or five times bigger world by just spacing everything out. Then you could justify mounts, but then we'd be right back where we started and mount travel time from the new Falador to Varrock being the same as walking from the old Falador to Varrock.

Wow, very very true. I always thought RuneScape distances were silly. And the ease of teleportation? I had a hard time starting up WoW since I couldn't teleport half-way across the world. :lol:

I agree with Fenrir: RuneScape doesn't need mounts.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

True. The game is already really slow at some times. If you add people riding on horces at a fast speed, even the loading would take a day, not counting the game itself which would he stuck the moment you log on.

But horses are a cool idea. :)

Darth Adaar

• 3 weeks later...

56.jpg

Just imagine, not being able to be blocked by creatures without horsemanship! That would be sooo awesome!

Seriously though, I'm not sure that a transportation-based skill is necessary. There's so much transportation already, and the rest update makes it even easier to just run.

Pogo-Sticks? Kangaroo Boots? There are any number of ways to introduce a new run ability into the game which would cut down on the time taken to cross RS

...But as it has been said RS is not that big....

If Falador and Catheby were merged into the Dwarf mines, as a mining outpost, if Rimmington and Port Sarim were folded on to Karajama, if Seers and Camelot were combinded into a farmhouse with a Flax field, if Lumbridge was a Castle and Al Kharid to the Shantey Pass and the four major cities were Varrock, Pollnivneach, Ardougne and Port Phasmatys...then maybe horses would be justifed.

Though maybe Jousting should be added.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

The thing that worries me most is seeing World 1 and World 2 completely engulfed in a mass of brown, black and white hairy things. You simply cannot trade like this; the right-click option on a couple of 'stacked' horses would probably amount to the length of your game window.

Banning horses in cities wouldn't be too good either since I suspect that the whole concept is to have selected people ride through Varrock like some nobleman on the finest steed.

drapit.png

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this has already been posted but this new skill is appreantly so 'big' that it could of been made into its own game. I don't think that horsemanship, along with sailing, is diverse enough to be created into its own game.

However, Im not saying for certian that this will never be a skill along with sailing but for now it's not likely to happen.

Lies In Life.

I don't think there's a need for horsemanship at all. (I think this should be in the suggestions forum anyway)

Apart from the HUGE amount of lag it will cause, think about what it will add to the game, other than it being "cooler"? Nothing much. Travelling at higher speeds is still slower than teleporting...

In my opinion, the money you'd be spending on it would probably be close to the cost of runes for teleporting.

abr3qr2.jpg

Make the same mistake twice,

Burst of red and green covering me.

Brings the things that she loves,

I should let it fold over.

Honestly I can only see a mount as an aesthetic addition seeing how Jagex really hasn't given us different speeds to move at. I think they need to work on higher agil = quicker movement (like it should have started out as :wall:). Mounts are very unnecessary in a game where you can teleport across the map in an instant.

Trapt45.png