Somalia pirate situation

mmmcannibalism

[hide=]didnt see a thread on this and it seemed noteworthy enough to discuss

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/12/world/africa/12somalia.html?ref=africa--first thing on google news.

just wondering what everyones thoughts on this were. I am seriously concerned we are going to let the pirates get backup and get away; better to see a firefight then let the pirates have a free escape. I think this is the first pirate attack on an american ship since around the war of 1812.[/hide]

story that prompted me to post this in hide tags

Since everyone was wasting time attacking America, lets just discuss the general problems with Somalia and its pirate "business"

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yarrr.

I don't care ^_^

This.

Although I did have a good laugh. Silly Americans getting trolled IRL.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

Yarrr.

I don't care ^_^

This.

The guy who is being held lives a few miles from me. My best friend's house is next to his, and (obviously) knew him. Latios, [bleep] you, honestly. You say you laughed because I ship filled with humanitarian supplies for one of the poorest areas in the world was attacked. Acting like an ITG won't make you cool, latios.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

Personally, I don't think that America has much to worry about. That particular crew was able to beat the snot out of 4 ARMED pirates and kick them off the boat. If the captain didn't try and be a sacrificial lamb in the beginning, then this [cabbage] would have been over by now.

Seriously though, we need to stop this before it gets to Caribbean levels. I can think of 2 things we need to do; give some level of protection to civilian ships that pass through those waters, and remove the need for the "pirates" to even start this up. Somalia's a hellhole, and by rights I'm amazed this didn't start a whole lot sooner.

You never know which rabbit hole you jump into will lead to Wonderland. - Ember3579

Aku Soku Zan. - Shinsengumi

You wanna mess with me or my friends? Pick your poison.

If you have any complaints about me, please refer to this link. Your problems are important to me.

Don't talk smack if you're not willing to say it to the person's face. On the same line, if you're not willing to back up your opinions no matter what, your opinion may as well be nonexistent.

Yarrr.

I don't care ^_^

This.

Would you have had a laugh if it was someone from your country? That would be funny. If it was your friend, it'd be hilarious!

Wouldn't it?

Yarrr.

I don't care ^_^

This.

Would you have had a laugh if it was someone from your country? That would be funny. If it was your friend, it'd be hilarious!

Wouldn't it?

So it wasn't an issue when it was ships from other nations but when it's an American ship we're all supposed to care? Since Racheya is included in your quote and made the initial mockery of this, I'd like to highlight that British ships have been targeted near the Somali coast but it wasn't an issue as they weren't American.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

Like 1_man_army said, why does this American ship get it's own thread lol? Pirates are constantly seizing ships near Somalia, it's been that way for a while and it probably wont change very soon so I don't see why one American ship gets a thread.

_45605710_africa_piracy2_map226_new2.gif

That's how frequent they are. Wanna make a thread each time one gets captured? Don't forget the other recent attacks...

It is the sixth seizure in recent days, including a British and Taiwanese ship.
sig5235ro7.jpg

Like 1_man_army said, why does this American ship get it's own thread lol? Pirates are constantly seizing ships near Somalia, it's been that way for a while and it probably wont change very soon so I don't see why one American ship gets a thread.

It reminds me of something I saw the other night on Channel 4's 100 greatest stand up comedians. An American comedian was in Spain when he heard about 9/11 and the coverage was in Spanish and it talked about an incident in Nuevo something (whatever the Spanish for New York is). Anyway, he brushed it off and presumed it was somewhere in Colombia or Latin America. After a while he realised it was New York because it was on the news non-stop for hours and therefore it had to be about America to be that important.

He put it in a way which was actually kind of funny but you get my point.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

Yarrr.

I don't care ^_^

This.

Wouldn't it?

They're just being idiots because Americans were attacked. Ironically, Latios is from Australia and Racheya is from the UK. I wonder how those [bleep]ers would have felt if we just let the Japanese slaughter the Aussies and Hitler crush the Brits. After all, they aren't our countrymen, so that makes it funny as hell.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Because Americans only care about world issues when it suddenly affects themselves as well. Not meant to flame, just a neutral observation. Just see how much the average american cared about global terrorism (despite even the marine barrack attack in the 80's that killed hundreds of soldiers) until something bad happened on their own soil.

I don't think 9/11 was good at all, neither are the pirate attacks, but it's sad how the citizens of the US only react to events when it concerns US directly. Maybe these events secondarily serve as wake-up calls or 'Pearl Harbors'.

The guy is a proper man with high morals; Sacrificing himself for his crew, being an exemplary captain as well. I can only wish for his safe return and not getting tangled up in politics. He doesn't deserve to lose his life over a money/ransom dispute.

Yarrr.

I don't care ^_^

This.

Wouldn't it?

They're just being idiots because Americans were attacked. Ironically, Latios is from Australia and Racheya is from the UK. I wonder how those [bleep]ers would have felt if we just let the Japanese slaughter the Aussies and Hitler crush the Brits. After all, they aren't our countrymen, so that makes it funny as hell.

Stop, please stop, you're making the rest of us Americans look bad.

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

Yarrr.

I don't care ^_^

This.

Wouldn't it?

Rofl Godwin's law.

And I would laugh if it was from my country actually, I just find it amazing that this deserves a thread when there are pirate attacks on ships that aren't from America and they don't get threads...

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Yarrr.

I don't care ^_^

This.

Wouldn't it?

Bad example considering that America was pretty much willing to leave us to that fate until the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbour (an thus the war suddenly effected them).

wild_bunch.gif

Yarrr.

I don't care ^_^

This.

The guy who is being held lives a few miles from me. My best friend's house is next to his, and (obviously) knew him. Latios, [bleep] you, honestly. You say you laughed because I ship filled with humanitarian supplies for one of the poorest areas in the world was attacked. Acting like an ITG won't make you cool, latios.

Damn, that close to home? #-o

Idiots don't know what they're getting into. Might as well go ahead and hijack a military base while they're at it.

j0xPu5R.png

I love how people are flaming that this thread got made because a American ship got attacked. Not our fault that all the other nations in Off-Topic didn't make a topic themselves.

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

I love how people are flaming that this thread got made because a American ship got attacked. Not our fault that all the other nations in Off-Topic didn't make a topic themselves.

Actually it's the Americans flaming those who don't care.

And I don't really feel the need to since there isn't an amazing about of discussion for the most part. Something bad happened, it's not good... yeah.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].