Texas talking about secession

The Dark Lord

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politic ... 01713.html

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/04/ ... 02087.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30252723/

[hide=Story]AUSTIN, Texas - In a state that once was its own nation, a Republican governor who talked about secession without completely dismissing the idea has Democratic lawmakers in an uproar.

Gov. Rick Perry, in comments following an anti-tax "tea party" Wednesday, never did advocate Texas breaking away from the United States but suggested that Texans might at some point get so fed up they would want to leave the union. That was enough to feed opinions for and against secession on Web sites, cable TV and talk radio across the nation.

At the Texas Capitol on Thursday, Rep. Jim Dunnam of Waco, joined by several fellow Texas House Democrats, said some people associate talk of secession with racial division and the Civil War and that Perry should disavow any notion of seceding

"Talk of secession is an attack on our country. It can be nothing else. It is the ultimate anti-American statement," Dunnam said at a news conference.

State Sen. Rodney Ellis, a Houston Democrat, said that by not rejecting the possibility of secession out of hand, Perry "is taking a step down a very dangerous and divisive path encouraged by the fringe of Texas politics."

The Democrats are proposing a House resolution expressing "complete and total disagreement with any fringe element advocating the 'secession' of Texas or any other state from our one and indivisible Union."

Perry emphasized Thursday that he is not advocating secession but understands why Americans may have those feelings because of frustration with Washington, D.C. He said it's fine to express the thought. He offered no apology and did not back away from his earlier comments.

Perry's remarks Wednesday were in response to a question from The Associated Press as he walked away from the Austin rally, where some in the audience had shouted "Secede!" during his speech. The governor said he didn't think Texas should secede despite some chatter about it on the Internet and his name being associated with the idea.

"We've got a great union. There's absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what might come out of that. But Texas is a very unique place, and we're a pretty independent lot to boot," Perry said Wednesday.

A day later, Perry said he found the fascination with the remark interesting.

"I refer people back to my statement and I got a charge out of it," he said. "I was kind of thinking that maybe the same people that hadn't been reading the Constitution right were reading that article and they got the wrong impression about what I said. Clearly I stated that we have a great union. Texas is part of a great union. And I see no reason for that to change."

Texas was a republic from 1836, when it declared independence from Mexico, to 1845, when it became a U.S. state.

Perry has been speaking out against the federal government lately over federal economic stimulus spending. He's also in a tough race for re-election against a fellow Republican, U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, whom he is trying to portray as a Washington insider.

Perry spokeswoman Allison Castle criticized Dunnam, saying he was "trying to distract from the fact that yesterday thousands of Texans, including many in his own district, expressed their extreme displeasure at Washington's rampant taxation, big spending and bloated government."

Dunnam suggested Perry is positioning himself for his political future.

"We all knew he wanted to be president. I just didn't know it was president of the Republic of Texas," he said to chuckles from onlookers.[/hide]

I heard rumours about this for a month or so. I don't think it's that big of a deal at the moment, but, in a hypothetical situation, another civil war could lead to the deaths of many people. I think it kind of illustrates just how much Americans are getting pissed off at the government.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Tl;DR

they've been talking about sucession since obama kicked mccains [wagon] in november, nothing new ignore them and they'll go back to propane and football.

OMG OMG SAILING IS COMING LOLOLOLOL!!!1111 b/c JAGEX GAMES STUDIO , ANAGRAM OF SAITO JUDGE X-GAMES

TAKASHI SAITO= RED SOX P1TCHER... RED SOX = BOSTON, BOSTON = PORT CITY!!!! PORT CITY = SAILING

Tl;DR

they've been talking about sucession since obama kicked mccains [wagon] in november, nothing new ignore them and they'll go back to propane and football.

Okay, propane I don't have a deal with. But I love football, and I'm a very civilized person (not that all Texans are uncivilized).

I don't think this will lead to another civil war. I mean sure we've got a lot of Mexicans at our disposal but we'd still lose.

It would be kind of cool if Texas became it's own country again.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

But then where would we get our propane? Canada? Yea, right.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Good, let Texas and the rest of the south secede. It's all treasonous talk, but I very much welcome them to secede, while also seceding their federal aide that they get every year. Rick Perry isn't even popular in Texas, let alone the rest of the United States. This won't go anywhere, but if some wing nut ends up refusing to pay his taxes or acts in a violent form of domestic terrorism and sites Rick Perry, Rick Perry is guilty of treason and subject to at least 20 years in prison.

Rick Perry's rhetoric with his actions: http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archiv ... 017753.php

Anyway, the knee-jerk response about letting them secede aside, I just can't allow the poor Americans in the south to be subjected to such idiocy and be their own government. It's almost as bad as a human rights violation. So we cannot allow stupid idiotic states to secede, regardless of how nice it would be for the rest of the US (the north and the west coast).

Losing Texas would be fail...

I live in Houston, the immense amount of oil that comes through here and other goods, it would be an extreme loss.

Although, my local Fox station had a survey, 38% said Texas has the right to secede. And 18% would actually follow through with it.

I honestly think that Texas won't secede, and it was just a bit of verbal fail by the moronic governor. :P

~Knotch

What's with all the ignorance towards Texas? Do people actually think we all walk around with cowboy hats and ride horses everywhere on dirt roads? Well two can play that game.

What with all you dirty Canada touchers with your funny accents. You all just drive taxi cabs around time square while protesting about liberal rights!

:roll:

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

Well, let's see here. Iirc, Texas has something like a $10B surplus (SEE THAT CALIFORNIA??? MAYBE YOU COULD LEARN A THING OR TWO!!!), plenty of arable land and this little thing called a propane industry. If small countries like Sweden can exist, then Texas should be just fine on their own.

It sounds like a lot of hot air to me. This topic also came up in a class of mine a few days back. The scary part was people thought it'd be better for Texas to secede than to stay a part of the Union. Of course, the notion of it is still silly...

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Well, let's see here. Iirc, Texas has something like a $10B surplus (SEE THAT CALIFORNIA??? MAYBE YOU COULD LEARN A THING OR TWO!!!), plenty of arable land and this little thing called a propane industry. If small countries like Sweden can exist, then Texas should be just fine on their own.

Or maybe the other states in the region could "learn a thing or two?" See the thing with Texas is, it's rich with oil, as you stated. If it didn't have any oil, it would look exactly like Louisiana, New Mexico, Alabama, Mississippi, and Arizona; all poor impoverished states that rely HEAVILY on federal funds. So really, it's got a bunch of rich people that skew the data and hold most of the resources, kind of like Alaska except with a bigger population.

Oh, and btw, that surplus is not for the new fiscal years. Oil is now 1/3 the price it was when Texas had this surplus, or at least expected it. So this could entirely change, if it hasn't already, and is entirely dependent on the price of oil. Remember, Clinton's budgets had surpluses "projected," and it was all changed by George Bush.

Good, let Texas and the rest of the south secede. It's all treasonous talk, but I very much welcome them to secede, while also seceding their federal aide that they get every year. Rick Perry isn't even popular in Texas, let alone the rest of the United States. This won't go anywhere, but if some wing nut ends up refusing to pay his taxes or acts in a violent form of domestic terrorism and sites Rick Perry, Rick Perry is guilty of treason and subject to at least 20 years in prison.

Rick Perry's rhetoric with his actions: http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archiv ... 017753.php

Anyway, the knee-jerk response about letting them secede aside, I just can't allow the poor Americans in the south to be subjected to such idiocy and be their own government. It's almost as bad as a human rights violation. So we cannot allow stupid idiotic states to secede, regardless of how nice it would be for the rest of the US (the north and the west coast).

Calm down mage, we all know this is just rhetoric by some really far right wing nuts.

Not that I doubt a lot of the idiocy here, but as long as it was brought to a popular vote and anyone not interested was allowed to leave the state I dont see how it would actually be wrong(even if it would screw the economy they have the human right to be self sufficient correct?). All political movements have their fair share of idiots backing up the cause; not to pick on Obama here but myriads of his supporters cant even name his policies. Same thing with a lot of news reporting, the american media likes to presume guilty before trial for better ratings because the masses want to demonize someone.

(seriously the obama thing was just an example, Im sure we could all prove that holds for Bush, Clinton, Bush the elder and so on back across time)

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

UH OH. They caught us boys, hide the cannons and the moonshine!

Rick Perry is a moron. He shouldn't have won the election a while back. That grandma is smarter than him. He tries any [cabbage] like that, [cabbage], you know how liberal Austin is? As a city? There's a reason we keep Austin wierd. So an idiot like him won't shoot off his mouth.

Or maybe the other states in the region could "learn a thing or two?" See the thing with Texas is, it's rich with oil, as you stated. If it didn't have any oil, it would look exactly like Louisiana, New Mexico, Alabama, Mississippi, and Arizona; all poor impoverished states that rely HEAVILY on federal funds. So really, it's got a bunch of rich people that skew the data and hold most of the resources, kind of like Alaska except with a bigger population.

Now we're one of the most industrialized states in the Union. Oil made us this way. I'm surprised that you seem to think the rest of the union worked hard to get wealthy.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

What's with all the ignorance towards Texas? Do people actually think we all walk around with cowboy hats and ride horses everywhere on dirt roads? Well two can play that game.

What with all you dirty Canada touchers with your funny accents. You all just drive taxi cabs around time square while protesting about liberal rights!

Well, I would argue that the south actually have the funny accents, because the first Americans landed in Plymouth, which is in the north.

actually the first americans came across the bering land bridge...

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

Well, I would argue that the south actually have the funny accents, because the first Americans landed in Plymouth, which is in the north.

actually the first americans came across the bering land bridge...

...And Jamestown was the first settlement...

I forget, but back in the 1800s, didn't some guy try to make Texas independent?

(I don't mean the Republic of Texas in 1836-1846. At least I don't think I do. I just remember my history teacher last year telling us about some crazy guy that had something to do with an independent Texas)

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

The first Americans were here long before Europeans "discovered" this continent.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg