Mother gives birth to a baby with Anencephaly.

whiteguy

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's ultimately the mother's choice.

I have worked with children who are blind, deaf, mute, and apparently do not know who they are or what they are doing. Yet the parents are happy with the situation, and nothing brings them greater joy than seeing a smile on their child's face (even if it may only be a reflexive smile). If the parents are coping, I see no reason not to support their decision.

Quite. I don't understand how it can sicken someone any more than a person with a bond to their car or trees.

Or, for that matter, a loving bond with one's pet...

After seeing a picture of Anencephaly...I honestly don't know what to say. To even THINK It's alive if a nieve, selfish and absolutly blasphemous act of nature itself.

Err... She is alive, and she's doing surprisingly well:

prettydress.jpg

I don't think it's a human. It doesn't have the capability or the potential to gain the capability to do any of the things that make human beings distinct from other creatures. It can't and no matter what it never will be able to use its hands, understand a language, do abstract reasoning or introspecting. How do define "human being" if you're able to make the claim that this creature is a human? It's like a braindead person who never was "brain alive".

Another person with the whole "human beings are special!" complex. It doesn't matter what you think. There's only one requirement to being human (Belong to the genus homo and species, sapien), and absolutely none of the stuff you typed out makes something more or less human than someone else. A person born without hands to use is still a human. A person born suffering from autism or Down's Syndrome is still human. A person born with a partial brain is still human.

In Latin Homo Sapien means "Wise Human" or "Knowing Human". Since this child quite literally has no brain, it cannot be classified as human being. A human body yes, but not a human being.

Hooray for playing a game of semantics and ignoring the whole "anything which belongs to this taxonomy is human" thing. But, anyway, you also seem to be equally ignoring the fact that anencephaly is a condition which affects humans (As well as other organisms); not a condition which causes humans to cease being humans.

If it doesn't have functions for higher levels of thought, then it obviously doesn't know it exists. What's the harm then?

But we know it exists, which is the whole point.

Why does that, or would that, affect you?
hopesolopatriot.jpg

Lol no brain. Just an excuse cause it's dumb.

Also... I can't stand the way she mentions god every other line.

Really though. I would have aborted it. I'm not a female however so I suppose I wold never be in that position.

If it doesn't have functions for higher levels of thought, then it obviously doesn't know it exists. What's the harm then?

But we know it exists, which is the whole point.

Why does that, or would that, affect you?

Because in the eyes of other humans, some could consider that murder.

I say as long as she is in no pain, let her live. If we're gonna value the "right to live" off of capabilities then we're pretty messed up. This isn't Sparta.

I have worked with children who are blind, deaf, mute, and apparently do not know who they are or what they are doing. Yet the parents are happy with the situation, and nothing brings them greater joy than seeing a smile on their child's face (even if it may only be a reflexive smile). If the parents are coping, I see no reason not to support their decision.

I think this sums it up pretty well. Sure, whether or not this counts as a human being is subjective but if the parents keep it alive its just maintaining a life of something that isnt feeling pain. While the analogy is a bit weird, would you really care what happened to your corpse as long as it wasnt doing any harm?

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

Whatever happened to pro-choice?

It's stupid.

Should we start euthanizing [developmentally delayed] kids while we are at it?

Yes.

Let us start and end with you.

Oh, you're so bloody witty, aren't you? Why on earth should we bother keeping them alive? What do they contribute?

[English translation needed]

Same goes for people on welfare or deaf/blind people? ^

Yo man, it's her choice, I just find it so sad. She thinks she going to have a real baby growing up. :cry:

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

It's stupid.

Yes.

Oh, you're so bloody witty, aren't you? Why on earth should we bother keeping them alive? What do they contribute?

What do you contribute? Besides sarcastic remarks?

He contributes more then that baby :roll:

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

Kill it.

That went way too far..

Good thing the mom is giving the baby as much life as she can. I hope it can live a good life, even though she won't have a lot of advantages of the real world.

It will have NO advantages, it is completely senseless, it will never see, it will never think, it will never move by choice.

It CANNOT live a good life, since it cannot tell what happiness is, or sadness, or anger.

It might as well be a potato.

My sister is autistic and even though she is delayed in many things, its great seeing her alive and trying to live the best life she can. Anyone saying that we should kill developmentally delayed people just because they won't live much longer really makes me [bleep]ing pissed. It feels like nobody wants to give developmentally delayed people a chance and instead wants to "put them out of their misery".

safari20hat11.jpg

We should euthanize anyone who lacks the capability to contribute to society in any way.

Please don't elect this man for president in 2012

Kill it.

That went way too far..

Good thing the mom is giving the baby as much life as she can. I hope it can live a good life, even though she won't have a lot of advantages of the real world.

It will have NO advantages, it is completely senseless, it will never see, it will never think, it will never move by choice.

It CANNOT live a good life, since it cannot tell what happiness is, or sadness, or anger.

My sister is autistic and even though she is delayed in many things, its great seeing her alive and trying to live the best life she can. Anyone saying that we should kill developmentally delayed people just because they won't live much longer really makes me [bleep] pissed. It feels like nobody wants to give developmentally delayed people a chance and instead wants to "put them out of their misery".

You don't seem to get this so I'll put it in caps for you.

THIS BABY DOES NOT HAVE A CHANCE AT ANYTHING!!!

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

It's stupid.

Yes.

What do you contribute? Besides sarcastic remarks?

To this forum? Nothing but sarcastic remarks.

To my society? Plenty, unlike the mentally incapacitated.

My sister is autistic

I was waiting for this to come along. This just shows you have no skill in debating, so you use a prop. I don't doubt your sister's autistic, I just don't give a damn.

Err... She is alive, and she's doing surprisingly well:

Isn't it nice how the knit cap hides the part of her brain which protrudes from her nonexistent skull?

[English translation needed]

It's stupid.

Yes.

What do you contribute?

Edit: I rushed into it. I read the above post to see that I was beat to the punch. :wall:

Isn't it nice how the knit cap hides the part of her brain which protrudes from her nonexistent skull?
Isn't it also nice that jeans hide my prosthetic limb? Isn't it nice how a shirt covers the scar I got when one of my lungs was taken out? I suppose I contribute nothing as well.

The child contributes plenty, if only to the mother.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Damnit Robert, you assume because someone is [developmentally delayed]ed, means that they have no chance and cannot contribute? As long as you are sentient and aware, you have a chance and can contribute.

Autistic people have a chance and can contribute, people with Downs have a chance and can contribute (I think). What you said about killing all of the mentally delayed just cheezed me off bad.

Yeah, I disagree with keeping the baby alive, but damn. You are an [wagon].

image.png image.png

Oh yeah, and I've thought of taking babies and throwing them. For funsies. - Lenticular J

ShamanSniper.gif

ShamanSniper.png

"Isn't it pathetic how everything in our society is built around someone screwing someone else out of their money?" - killerbeer0 on American Society

Rebdragon can't wiz a woz.

Kill it.

That went way too far..

My sister is autistic and even though she is delayed in many things, its great seeing her alive and trying to live the best life she can. Anyone saying that we should kill developmentally delayed people just because they won't live much longer really makes me [bleep] pissed. It feels like nobody wants to give developmentally delayed people a chance and instead wants to "put them out of their misery".

Oh, you're telling me that I don't get this? I have a developmentally delayed sister in the household. Unless you have someone like that, don't be telling me "I don't get it." You don't have an autistic relative, you have no idea what its like to live with an autistic girl for 16 years. It makes me happy to see my sister doing all kinds of things I can't do (she is very good at memorizing the Chinese new year and calendars). Its sad that developmentally delayed people won't be able to do things like us, but if we give them a chance, they can surprise us. Shame on you. Its people like you that don't give them a shot at life. Yup, we should kill babies just because they're brain isn't functioning... Really good for society...

safari20hat11.jpg

We should euthanize anyone who lacks the capability to contribute to society in any way.

Kill it.

That went way too far..

Oh, you're telling me that I don't get this? I have a developmentally delayed sister in the household. Unless you have someone like that, don't be telling me "I don't get it." You don't have an autistic relative, you have no idea what its like to live with an autistic girl for 16 years. It makes me happy to see my sister doing all kinds of things I can't do (she is very good at memorizing the Chinese new year and calendars). Its sad that developmentally delayed people won't be able to do things like us, but if we give them a chance, they can surprise us. Shame on you. Its people like you that don't give them a shot at life. Yup, we should kill babies just because they're brain isn't functioning... Really good for society...

It doesnt matter if you have a [bleep]ing [developmentally delayed] sister. it has nothing to do with this.

The baby doesn't have a [bleep]ing brain, it isn't conscious, and it isn't aware it's alive.

I'm not saying it deserves to live or die, it's not anyone here's decision, it's the mother's decision, the baby is probably going to die within a few months anyways.

It doesnt matter if you have a [bleep] [developmentally delayed] sister. it has nothing to do with this.

The baby doesn't have a [bleep] brain, it isn't conscious, and it isn't aware it's alive.

I'm not saying it deserves to live or die, it's not anyone here's decision, it's the mother's decision, the baby is probably going to die within a few months anyways.

Sorry, I get pissed off when people think developmentally delayed babies should be killed.

safari20hat11.jpg

Maybe drawing it will simply things.

[hide=]nothingb.png[/hide]

The person on the left is the Anencephalic (?) girl, from the original post. The one on the right is a mentally ill person. One has a brain, the other, doesn't. Thus they are not the equal in this argument and anybody else comparing having nothing in their heads to the mentally ill is not only blind, but also insultive to those who have a brain and comparing them to those who don't.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

It doesnt matter if you have a [bleep] [developmentally delayed] sister. it has nothing to do with this.

The baby doesn't have a [bleep] brain, it isn't conscious, and it isn't aware it's alive.

Sorry, I get pissed off when people think developmentally delayed babies should be killed.

oh, didn't read that.

Maybe drawing it will simply things.

[hide=]nothingb.png[/hide]

The person on the left is the Anencephalic (?) girl, from the original post. The one on the right is a mentally ill person. One has a brain, the other, doesn't. Thus they are not the equal in this argument and anybody else comparing having nothing in their heads to the mentally ill is not only blind, but also insultive to those who have a brain and comparing them to those who don't.

At least not as insulting as saying "Kill [Anencephalic and mentally ill people]". I was mostly telling off the people that brought in the "developmentally delayed people deserve to die" argument. If nobody mentioned it, I'd be ok. You would have a point against me if most people didn't post "mentally ill people need to die". Although my last post was sort of pointless, I have to admit.

safari20hat11.jpg