The Running Thread

noble_aloof

If you get the Five Finger Flow's you oughta be able to use them in the winter unless you live in like alaska or somewhere else far north. It's meant to be used in low temps (website says ~25-40 degrees Farenheit) and if you're going out at temps colder than that you can use the Injinji wool toe socks for extra warmth.

Yeah, I'm talking -20C (-4F) to -40C/F, around -50(-58F) with windchill, plus snow...think I'll stick to boots and thermal socks

boots? this thread is about running.

Yes, but I was asking about a shoe that I thought runners would have some experience with. In any case, derail over I guess

yes.png

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we did our first big workout of the summer today which consisted of a 12 minute 2 mile run.. i was the fastest and ended up coming in around 12:10 due to very poor pacing by the kid with the watch. i should be getting a new pair of shoes this week :D

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

we did our first big workout of the summer today which consisted of a 12 minute 2 mile run.. i was the fastest and ended up coming in around 12:10 due to very poor pacing by the kid with the watch. i should be getting a new pair of shoes this week :D

first big workout of the summer? our official season starts on the first...

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

Hey all,

I'm getting into running on rest days from my workouts or days in which I have worked out but still have some energy to kill.

However, I'm currently running in an old pair of Nike Shox and would like to invest some money in some actual running shoes.

My current budget is about £60, which is (at a very rough estimate) approximately 66 euros and 85 dollars.

What sort of shoes should I be looking at and are there other things you need to know aka the terrain/heat in which I run?

Cheers,

Ed.

edtheripperpixelsigv2zy8.png

Thanks to Jopie for this great signature.

99 Slayer|Fishing|Summoning|Hitpoints|Attack|Strength|Defence|Fletching.

Anyone at Manchester University PM me

Hey all,

I'm getting into running on rest days from my workouts or days in which I have worked out but still have some energy to kill.

However, I'm currently running in an old pair of Nike Shox and would like to invest some money in some actual running shoes.

My current budget is about £60, which is (at a very rough estimate) approximately 66 euros and 85 dollars.

What sort of shoes should I be looking at and are there other things you need to know aka the terrain/heat in which I run?

Cheers,

Ed.

terrain and temperature yes,as well as foot shape (arch type, size, pronation) and running style/distance.

I'd reccomend Asics or Saucony over a more generic brand like Nike or Adidas as I've found there shoes to be more conferable and better designed for running.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

as does ours. when i said "big" workout i meant speed work that is equal to the degree of difficulty usually found within our seasonal workouts. there have been smaller ones and plenty of hill work but i felt that this one was on par with some that we've done during past seasons. sorry for any confusion

How do Mizuno brand shoes compare to Asics/ saucony? I have a pair of those, they seem respectable.

every kid in my grade who runs under a 20 minute 5k wears mizuno shoes besides me. i swear by asics because they are known to be the best fitting and just about the longest lasting in terms of durability. my first pair is still that pearly white color with only one rip in them. i used to go cliff diving at the local swimming hole with them then the next day i could run a couple miles on them.

as far as spikes go this year i'll be picking up a pair of saucony.. the design looks really, really sweet.

Shay xc 2

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

I just ran a lap of my campus, its apparently 5.4km, and it took me 35 mins, but its a lot of up and down, which made it challenging. Luckily its overcast today or i dont think i'd have made it the whole way.

-Destroy Topham-

Punk_Man666.png

Punk_man666.png

Not sure if this has been brought up, but there is a great shoe that apparently is just the best thing ever for running. It's called the Vibram Five Finger shoe, it's basically like running barefoot

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/ This the OFFICIAL website, and any other website is a knock off version of the shoe, so beware

And here's a thread discussing how good they are

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3171064

img1-large.jpg

I've been considering getting a pair for general every day usage, but I'm torn since winter lasts pretty long and is too cold to wear these here

Waiter at a local restaurant was wearing these the other day, I thought they were strange as hell.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

as does ours. when i said "big" workout i meant speed work that is equal to the degree of difficulty usually found within our seasonal workouts. there have been smaller ones and plenty of hill work but i felt that this one was on par with some that we've done during past seasons. sorry for any confusion

How do Mizuno brand shoes compare to Asics/ saucony? I have a pair of those, they seem respectable.

every kid in my grade who runs under a 20 minute 5k wears mizuno shoes besides me. i swear by asics because they are known to be the best fitting and just about the longest lasting in terms of durability. my first pair is still that pearly white color with only one rip in them. i used to go cliff diving at the local swimming hole with them then the next day i could run a couple miles on them.

as far as spikes go this year i'll be picking up a pair of saucony.. the design looks really, really sweet.

Shay xc 2

thanks for that link I may have to be ordering a pair of thoughs ;)

DM0Yq2c.png

• 2 weeks later...

I PR'd the first offical race of the season (a 3k) by 2 minutes. Time for some sub 18 5k times :D

DM0Yq2c.png

I do some jogging when I have time and feel like it. I did track last year for phys ed credit and it was alright. I'm a fairly neutral runner so brooks glycerin are where its at in terms of shoes.

sometimes i doubt your commitment to sparkle motion...

XC season started, hopefully I'll get 16:30 for my time on the course we run at.

Looking forward to a 4:40 mile also. Not that far from it.

i can't tell you how far you should be running weekly, but you should look into new balance (tends to be the cheapest) and remember that 'cheap' shoes literally cost more than expensive shoes in the long run. spending under $60 on shoes usually isn't a good idea.

I found 800s much easier than 400s.

I've been trying to do HIIT but my mum's treadmill won't go fast enough and when I run outside in winter my chest throat and nose feel like they're on fire.

Could anybody suggest some cheap runnin shoes available in the uk? And how far should i try to run per day/week?

Don't buy cheap shoes. They may seem like a good option at the present, but think about the future. Everyone has a different stride and feet shape. Some people roll in, some people roll out, and some don't roll. Some people have a flat foot, and some have an arch in their foot. Cheap shoes don't accommodate for any of this, which is why you need to go to a proper shoe place to get it done. If you use cheap shoes, it will do damage to your body, as you are running with shoes that don't accommodate you.

Eventually, it would cause injury, which would cost more than a good pair of shoes.

In terms of how far you should be running, it all depend on your level of fitness and your motivation at the current time. Try running 3K's first and see how you do. Then adjust according to what you can do. Don't run a really long run straight away or you will hurt yourself.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

I've been trying to do HIIT but my mum's treadmill won't go fast enough and when I run outside in winter my chest throat and nose feel like they're on fire.

I prefer running when it's cold, i find the heat too energy zapping. Obviously, it's pretty hard when literally freezing outside, especially while your lungs are warming up, but I find that happens late at night, like a couple of weeks ago when I went for a run at like 11, after work.

rosssigfinal.jpg

I used to have this problem till I found out the secret.

You need to get some type of turtleneck or long-neck Underarmor. I suppose a scarf might do the trick, though I havent tried it personally. For the first 10 minutes of your run, stretch the turtleneck up and cover your mouth+nose with it. Depending on the shirt, you might get too much carbon dioxide so you can stop and take a little breather if you need to. If you need to stop, cover your mouth while you breathe in and then move the hand away while you exhale, this helps to warm the air before it enters your body.

Once you get nice and warmed up, you should have more luck. If this still doesnt work, try warming up inside with 10 minutes on the treadmill, then go outside and do an outside warm up for 5-10 minutes using your turtleneck trick above. Also make sure you keep your scarf/turtleneck covering your neck. Obviously your air pipe is in your neck so any layers of clothing you can add to that area will be of great help.

If you still don't have any luck, sorry. :( It worked great for me though. I used to only spend like 20 minutes outside in the winter, but this past winter I was able to comfortably run for 60+ minutes.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

I get to run a 10K on the track tomorrow for time. Submitting it to College which will be good.

Hoping for 35 minutes...If I can get that, I'll be happy (9 Minute PR if I do).

Submitting it to College which will be good.

What?

The 10K I ran was supposed to be for College recruitment. Got 45 minutes for the time but it was like 85-90 degrees and sucked to run...