What part(s) of this image are fake?

WolfieMario

I don't know why, but I got the idea of posting this image at TipIt and RuneHQ with the accompanying question:

What part(s) of this image are fake?

3rd3teletime.png

If you want, you can try to guess where that screenshot was taken, and I'm betting at least one or two people may guess it immediately. The point is for the image to be taken out of context, so, if you are a member of Sal's Realm of RuneScape, or if you found out where this came from, please do not post here! For those people who do post, I'm interested in seeing how you guys think the image was made, how much is fake, how much is real, etc...

After I have received a few replies, I will post some associated images, explain the backstory, and say how much is fake/real. I will also say the general response of the RHQers who reply in that version of this topic.

Yes, I suppose you can see this as a sort of "social experiment". Too bad I can't try it on Sal's as well, since they already know about the image.

EDIT:

I will now reveal the background info of this fake:

I made this fake for the "TBFL versus Omega faking war" at Sal's Realm. A faking war is when the war maker sets a goal (in this case, to obtain the legendary "Faking Hat"). Then fakers make fakes of them trying to achieve that goal (in this case, trying to get the hat, succeeding in getting the hat, or stealing the hat from another faker). This particular war was between the faking groups TBFL (The British Fakers Legion) and Omega (the longest-running faking group of Sal's). I'm a member of TBFL (even though I'm not British p12876613.gif), but for this war, I was a rogue (meaning that I was not fighting for either group). Here is the topic at Sal's:

http://runescape.salmoneus.net/forums/i ... pic=279559

Here is what happened in the war just before I made this fake (and the other fakes associated with it):

(NOTE: the following fakes are made by Mr E of Sal's Realm of RuneScape, not me)

fakingwar6.png

fakingwar7.png

fakingwar8.png

fakingwar9.png

Basically, Mr E rickrolled Easl (the last person to have the hat (and also the person who started the war)), and Easl gave him the hat. Then, Mr E gave the hat to Sergeant Abram of the Lumbridge Guards for safekeeping.

I responded with this set of fakes:

3rd1yousay.png

3rd2ragnarok.png

3rd3teletime.png

3rd4chat.png

3rd5victory.png

My character is a wolf sort of as an in-joke from PPP (a clan I'm in), and I'm wearing some custom items, including a Lunar Amulet (related to a series of magic fakes I'm working on). Here's the inventory and Grand Exchange views of the item:

lunarammy3.png

The area is supposed to be Hell, and I faked it from the following image:

hypercameaster09.png

It's the rabbit's warren from Easter '09. Someone thought it was from the underground pass p12876613.gif

I had to pixel out the floor (which took forever), edit out the mouse cursor and spiders and Hypercam logo, and pull the vines onto a separate layer (to color it differently). After that, I changed the colors of the walls (which now became the floor) and vines:

warrenpartsseparate.png

Note how I got the floor to fade into blackness. Also, I added some flames around "Hell", and you can see that they look different in the second fake (as though they were animated). In the second fake, I made the flames start going out, added balls of ice, made a snowstorm using the grass texture in Fireworks, and made a few ice patches. In the third fake, I recolored Hell to make it look paler, replaced the fire with ashes (faintly visible), made the snow mostly faded away, and, most notably, coated everything in ice. Making the ice took the longest, as every part coated in ice has 4 layers of it, using grass and parchment textures. Here is the third fake, split into it's individual layers:

frozenhellwhatsfake.png

And here's the ground and ice separated:

frozenhellice.png

In the fourth fake (the chatbox), I had to work off of a wolf mask to make my face:

Wolf_Mask.gif

Also, Abram never makes the "OMG" face, so I had to make that on my own, working off another NPC's face.

skillgoal99fakingunderb.png

Fake Awards:

flatawardsbox.png

(The large number is the amount of awards I have gotten; only 8 are shown above. Click to see all of them.)

Interesting guesses; I'll be posting the background info on this soon. I haven't received any replies at the RHQ topic, though. Actually, I have, but none of the posters made any guesses :P

Fake Awards:

flatawardsbox.png

(The large number is the amount of awards I have gotten; only 8 are shown above. Click to see all of them.)

Wouldn't have the faintest idea, thankfully.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

Me neither. Why do you keep making new topics, and crowding the forums? Bunch them all too one topic.

First time I have ever heard that here :shock:

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

Me neither. Why do you keep making new topics, and crowding the forums? Bunch them all too one topic.

Because the topics are completely unrelated, the only things tying them together are RuneScape and fakes. One's a large series of fakes as a prank, one's an interactive interface for viewing videos, and this one is sort of a "test" to see how many people can tell which parts of an image are fake.

Also, for the people who think there's some sort of "floor texture", there actually isn't, it's a texture which covers the whole image, but it's only really visible above the black void. It's meant to look like faint snow blowing in the air. I know I probably shouldn't have said that, since it's giving it away :?, but I'm clarifying that there's no actual floor.

I'll post the info after one or two more comments, or if the topic seems like it's about to die.

I see not too many people in this section of TipIt are active in RuneScape. Does anyone know of any other boards on the TipIt forums that I can post my fakes and fake-related topics? At Sal's and RuneHQ, people in the faking sections are much more active in RuneScape, but TipIt doesn't have a faking section... Does anyone know of a place where it would be better to post my fake-related topics? I only started posting them here because I saw another faker (who I know from Sal's) posting her topics in The Gallery.

Fake Awards:

flatawardsbox.png

I think if you put one topic in General Discussion in the RS part of the board, you might get more response, make sure you explain your motives to the mods (ie, say 'I put this in the Gallery, but they aren't very active in RS, and this has more to do with RS than art' or something like that)

I think if you put one topic in General Discussion in the RS part of the board, you might get more response, make sure you explain your motives to the mods (ie, say 'I put this in the Gallery, but they aren't very active in RS, and this has more to do with RS than art' or something like that)

Thank you, RuneScape fakes will probably do better there anyhow p12876603.gif

I PMed a General Discussion Global Mod about this, and asked if my previous two topics can be moved (but not this topic). I'm going to post the background info on the image now.

Btw, RHQers have started guessing now p12876603.gif. Apparently some people think that the area is from some quest, and one person thought that you actually can be a wolf in-game p12876626.gif

But people there also think the vines are fake. I never realized "Adjust Hue-Saturation" can make one of the few real things in this image look fake p12876626.gif

Fake Awards:

flatawardsbox.png

By adjusting the colour does it not make the vines fake? They are certainly not the originals ;~;

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

By adjusting the colour does it not make the vines fake? They are certainly not the originals ;~;

Good point, but, if you want to be that specific about things, then every part of the image is fake o_O

If someone were to go into MS Paint and paste a screenshot, and then press Ctrl+I to invert it, every pixel will be different, but they didn't really do anything to achieve it. It doesn't exactly take too much effort to change the color of something.

But, going over the image, I suppose you're right, I realize I made the contrast too strong on the vines 73311039nu9.gif

Anyways, I've posted the background info, and how I made the pic, now p12876603.gif

Fake Awards:

flatawardsbox.png

Wow, that's actually a lot of work :shock:

Thanks p12876603.gif

I wouldn't have bothered posting a topic like this if it were easy p12876613.gif

Fake Awards:

flatawardsbox.png

I, like most people here, had no idea what you had faked before you explained it.

Actually, that's one of the goals of faking - to make something look like it's convincingly from RuneScape. Of course, part of the reason is that many people here don't play RuneScape anymore p12876613.gif

Fake Awards:

flatawardsbox.png