Hurricane Katrina

uber_n00blet

oops

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update:

- Buses from Superdome to Astrodome are on hold due to small-arms fire at Chinook helcopters that were involved in the process

- Mayor Ray Nagin ordered the entire police force to abandon search-and-rescue efforts and stop thieves who were becoming increasingly hostil.

- A man in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, fatally shot his sister in the head over a bag of ice. Dozens of carjackings were reported, including a nursing home bus and a truck carrying medical supplies for a hospital. Multiple police officers said they had been shot at.

- FEMA suspends rescue operations in New Orleans due to chaos and disorder, danger to rescuers

- Supply trucks filled with food, medicine, and water are being hijacked outside the city by numerous armed gangs.

I don't know what to say to things like that.

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

:? ^ I t hink it is times like these where we must switch our priorties. IThink i should be more important to protect those who are living then the ones we think live. All people unnecisary should be pulled out of there...

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

i have a question tho.

Why are the libs trying to blaim this on President Bush. They're claiming he didn't act on it, and he could have saved lives.

Hello?

He made it a case of national Emergency before the hurricane struck.

- Only character in Runescape History maxed out in RSC and RS2

x843.png

"Hospital halts evacuation after sniper fire"

(cnn)

What the *? Let 'em drown.

fire as in flame or sniper fire as in bullets???

x843.png

(cnn)

Take a guess man. So obviously bullets.

thirdeyesig0tl.jpg

Dreaming of that face again

It's bright, and blue, and shimmering

Grinning wide

And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

(cnn)

Take a guess man. So obviously bullets.

i figured, just found it hard to believe in all the crisis, somebody would be sniping....

x843.png

Update:

- Buses from Superdome to Astrodome are on hold due to small-arms fire at Chinook helcopters that were involved in the process

- Mayor Ray Nagin ordered the entire police force to abandon search-and-rescue efforts and stop thieves who were becoming increasingly hostil.

- A man in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, fatally shot his sister in the head over a bag of ice. Dozens of carjackings were reported, including a nursing home bus and a truck carrying medical supplies for a hospital. Multiple police officers said they had been shot at.

- FEMA suspends rescue operations in New Orleans due to chaos and disorder, danger to rescuers

- Supply trucks filled with food, medicine, and water are being hijacked outside the city by numerous armed gangs.

I don't know what to say to things like that.

As with every culture, there are those who bring shame and disgrace to it. These people are the lowest of the low, no doubt. Nothing we can do except watch and wait for the police to be able to detain and do something with those scum.

Anyway, at least there is some good coming out of this. Our state (which is about 2 states over) has been recieving thousands of people per hour by the busload who have been displaced by the hurricane, or their homes have been completely destroyed. I guess New Orleans had a population of at least 100,000-200,000, and every one of those people are needing to find a new place to live. At least here, a majority of the Hotels are offering lowered rates, but most are full, even in my small town, and shelters are over-capacity.

Guess all we can do is wait, has anybody seen the before-and-after satellite photos of New Orleans Thursday before it got hit by the hurricane, and then after on the following Tuesday. It's eerily awesome how much the landscape changed.

EDIT: Found some links of satellite imagery: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/new-orleans-imagery.htm

Here's a picture of choppers rescuing folks stranded on a small piece of raised land :shock: Take a look at the highway uinderwater

3.jpg

Here's a few of the buses taking the thousands of homeless residents to various shelters around the southeast.

18.jpg

And here's some people stranded on a roof attempting to write a message.

9.jpg

Man, that mustve been awful

Wow, I dunno what to say. Truely a national crisis...New Orleans is just, finished. Wow. With the mayor declaring it a desperate sos situation, and still not much relief on its way, NO is truely in chaos. I can't imagine. I just actually got word that my aunt was living in NO, along with her husband. She's in Toronto for my cousins wedding which is tomorrow, but her husband was still in NO and got stuck in the storm. If any Canadians out there watch Canada AM in the mornings, she was interviewd on it. Here's the link:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... b=CanadaAM

:(

signaturecj5.jpg

The goverment is acting very slowly considering they are so quick in Iraq.

I belive this will be the end of the bush administration.

If I was incharge I would have gotten all avalible airstrips cleared (even those not intended as airstrips) and brought in all avalible aircaft to take people out.

~Dan64Au

Since 27 Aug 2002

Gas prices around here have gone up by 45 cents in the past few days. But since houses are flooded, people are drowning, families are being destroyed, lives are being ruined and even more people are going to die, I really dont see how I can complain. The only way this situation could possibly be made worse is if somebody tried to sue somebody over this.

This is the way the world ends. Look at this [bleep]ing shit we're in man. Not with a bang, but with a whimper. And with a whimper, I'm splitting, Jack.

I go to a highschool in Houston, Texas and the teachers are already talking about all the new people that the school is going to get. Imagine how hard it would be... Losing your home, and your friends and having to go to a new school. I mean jeez... All of the people from New Orleans are coming to Houston to live.. Very sad situation :(

People are over there literally dieing in the streets, and Bush wont send help immedietly. But he was pretty hasty to send troops to Iraq, wasn't he..? This is on our own dam back-door... :x

Burn in hell, Bush.....

x12.png

blackgoldrobesrv5.png

Yes I am a girl. No, I won't be your girlfriend. :oops:

People are over there literally dieing in the streets, and Bush wont send help immedietly. But he was pretty hasty to send troops to Iraq, wasn't he..? This is on our own dam back-door... :x

Burn in hell, Bush.....

Im not a fan of bush, but the guy is doing everything he can. I just saw him on the news actuly in the streets talking to people. I Think seeing the president would bring alot of hope to some.

And ive seen some pics, they are having troubles getting in, but they have a convoy of trucks going there.

Also Canada is having a huge ship in halifax being loaded with supplies and will hope to be on its way in 2 days.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

I just saw another news report.... A guy was running through New Orleans with an Ak-47, and people are shooting at the national gaurd and the police. :(

this is getting very bad...this is news to me

ima go check this out for myself...how horrible :cry:

My dad last night made a statement which is very true, yet very sad... Its going to take a very long time to ever rebuild that city. But what i came to think, would it be worth it? Why spend the billions of dollors on cleaning up the city, then rebuild? Why not just rebuild a new city? That way no money must be wasted on cleaning the old one.

I know it sounds bad, but really, why put people through the procces of cleaning it up, when a new city could be made. And if not a new city, all the people could find homes throughout Louisiana and texes.

People might have to face the fact they might never see their home ever again...

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

I agree, saving New Orleans is almost pointless. On a related note I fail to see how this is Bush's fault. First off, it took about a month to get troops to Iraq so stop saying "hey invaded Iraq faster then he heled N.O." and secondly, its called bureaucracy. Things don't happen very fast in goverments, espically is a country as massive as the US.

I mean, it took congress 3 days to give like 5 billion in relief effort. How long can that take "Okay senators, I think we should give N.O. 3.8 billion dollars.... now lets argue/debate/vote/confirm it for 3 days while people are dying" And you yell at Bush for taking to long? Don't get me wrong I dislike Bush as much as the next guy but put the blame where it lies.

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

Why spend the billions of dollors on cleaning up the city, then rebuild? Why not just rebuild a new city? That way no money must be wasted on cleaning the old one.

If New Orleans is going to be rebuilt, it has to be cleaned. There's debris everywhere. You can't just build buildings without clearing out all of the trash. I can't even fathom how much work it will take, but I'm sure N.O. will get rebuilt. People will want to live there. Granted, a lot of people won't go back because they realise it's not worth it to risk their house to another natural disaster, but a lot of people attach a huge sentimental value to a city, and are going to want to stick with it.

Murder and mayhem in New Orleans' miserable shelter

By Mark Egan Fri Sep 2,11:44 PM ET

NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) - With the rotors of

President George W. Bush's helicopter sounding overhead, New Orleans' poor and downtrodden recounted tales of murder, rape, death threats and near starvation since Hurricane Katrina wrecked this city.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ending days of abandonment since the hurricane struck on Monday, the U.S. National Guard handed out military rations and a bottle of water to thousands of evacuees -- the first proper meal most had eaten in days.

But as the masses lined up outside, herded by Army troops toting machine guns, inside the convention center where these people slept since Monday was the stench of death and decay.

Leroy Fouchea, 42, waited in the sweltering heat for an hour to get his ration -- his first proper food since Monday -- and immediately handed it over to a sickly friend.

He then offered to show reporters the dead bodies of a man in a wheelchair, a young man who he said he dragged inside just hours earlier, and the limp forms of two infants, one just four months old, the other six months old.

"They died right here, in America, waiting for food," Fouchea said as he walked toward Hall D, where the bodies were put to get them out of the searing heat.

He said people were let die and left without food simply because they were poor and that the evacuation effort earlier concentrated on the French Quarter of the city. "Because that's where the money is," he spat.

A National Guardsman refused entry.

"It doesn't need to be seen, it's a make-shift morgue in there," he told a Reuters photographer. "We're not letting anyone in there anymore. If you want to take pictures of dead bodies, go to

Iraq."

As rations were finally doled out here on the day

President Bush visited the devastated city, an elderly white woman and her husband collapsed from the heat.

"I had to walk two blocks to get here and I have arthritis and three ruptured discs in my back," said Selma Valenti, 80, as her husband lay beside her, being revived by a policeman in riot gear. The two had eaten nothing since Wednesday.

Valenti and her husband, two of very few white people in the almost exclusively black refugee camp, said she and other whites were threatened with murder on Thursday.

"They hated us. Four young black men told us the buses were going to come last night and pick up the elderly so they were going to kill us," she said, sobbing. "They were plotting to murder us and then they sent the buses away because we would all be killed if the buses came -- that's what the people in charge told us this morning."

Other survivors recounted horrific cases of sexual assault and murder.

Sitting with her daughter and other relatives, Trolkyn Joseph, 37, said men had wandered the cavernous convention center in recent nights raping and murdering children.

She said she found a dead 14-year old girl at 5 a.m. on Friday morning, four hours after the young girl went missing from her parents inside the convention center.

"She was raped for four hours until she was dead," Joseph said through tears. "Another child, a seven-year old boy was found raped and murdered in the kitchen freezer last night."

Several others interviewed by Reuters told similar stories of the abuse and murder of children, but they could not be independently verified.

Many complained bitterly about why they received so little for so many days, and they had harsh words for Bush.

"I really don't know what to say about President Bush," said Richard Dunbar, 60, a Vietnam veteran. "He showed no lack of haste when he wanted to go to Iraq, but for his own people right here in Louisiana, we get only lip service."

One young man said he was not looking forward to another night in the convention center and wondered when conditions would improve. "It's been like a jail in there," he said. "We've got murderers, rapists, killers, thieves. We've got it all."

Sickening.

I know the price. I pay it gladly.

Yeah, some Australians who got rescued by an Australia news crew of all people. And they did say things were that bad. With the raping and the murdering.

They were scared for their lives. They were like huddled in a section with the guys on the outside, chicks on the inside so they would've get rapped or whatever. And if anyone of them needed to go anywhere they were acompanied by 3 of the guys.

To think you need that kind of protection just to go to do something simple like the bathroom is rather scary.