Reality Television... Boom or Bust?

CaJ

I want to hear people's opinion concerning the state of Reality Television, how you've enjoyed it, how you hated it, etc. Any comments are welcome. Please discuss how it has entertained you, how it has ruined television, or how it has influenced you for future notices.

Once I hear a few words going, I will add my own personal opinion.

Some of the first reality shows like survivor were pretty good, but now they're all the same and they all basically suck.

What really annoys me is VH1, and how they create new reality shows off of their old ones.

Flavor of Love (New York was runner-up) -> I love New York.

I love New York (Those 2 brothers were runner-ups) -> Real Chance or w/e.

Rock Of Love (Daisy was runner up) -> I love Daisy

From all of them -> I love Money.

They really need to get some original ideas... <.<

What can suck any worse than watching adults act like 8-year-old's?

In after 'reality TV sucks'.

You mean "in between". :P

I could've put an 'in during' there, but I was thinking that the thread was over after that post.

Oh well.

As said above, older reality tv was good, the best reality takes skill more than just being popular. Survivor was awesome, i like the apprentice aswell, but even in that the people can be strangely stupid.

But when it comes to things like big brother, and the fake celebs that it makes, it is rediculusly stupid.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

They like reality TV shows because it's so darn cheap to produce. Compare this with a Sitcom. No need to hire specific writers, sets, props, etc. Most importantly, no need to hire the talent to be on the show. That's why there are so many of these shows, because it is so cost effective for it to be produced. Plus for some reason, people love the drama from some of these shows, that they can't help but soak it in. Personally, I'm past that point of drama and would rather watch older syndicated shows or something sports.

So in the producer eyes, it's booming. In the eye of the consumer, it is a bust, but you'd be surprised how many people still tune in to see some of these shows. :roll:

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

The only problem I got with reality television, is that it's turning the History/Discovery/etc channels into a host and his experiences. Axemen and Ice Road Truckers on the friggen History channel!? What the [bleep].

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I like some stuff, like The Apprentice.

But stuff that's too trashy where people get famous for doing literally sitting around doing [cabbage] all, like Big Brother, I absolutely resent. I just watch the opening shows so I know what people are on about, but I hate them.

Iron_0utkast.png

Maxed 15/06/13

Reality TV is not reality TV at all. It's Tell-the-'contestants'-exactly-what's-going-to-happen-and-make-them-act-surprised TV.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

I like some Reality Television :oops:

Pimp My Ride, How clean is my house?, most house makeover shows... They give me so many ideas with what to do with my future home/car etc. The gardening ones are pretty cool too. I do watch some ghost stuff too haha, it's just interesting especially when they insert history in the story. Shattered was interesting too when it was on about 5 years ago.

What I love most is Japanese shows :lol: More specifically: Japanese game shows. They are sooo much better than British/American ones. I particularly like the ones with the Silent Library (where you have to be silent in a library whilst doing funny tasks) and Ramen Soup! (About a group of friends and the random stuff they do).

[yt]U4vlkWZ178U[/yt]

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

I hate Big Brother, and all the crap that comes with that. I just don't find watching a load of people together interesting. If I want to see what happens when 16 people get together, I'll meet up with friends.

The only reality TV I like really is the Apprentice.

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

What I love most is Japanese shows More specifically: Japanese game shows.

Nah. You just love anything Japanese. And anime-y.

Oh guuurl, you just did not say that.

But you're wrong. I've been exposed to oriental cultures ever since I was but a wee child. Two of my cousins were pretty dedicated to the martial arts and such and indulged us in many movies and facts about China/Japan/neighbouring countries. I will admit that anime has furthured my interest in Japan though.

And also, I have differing tastes in anime, I don't just like it all :P

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

I like some Reality Television :oops:

Pimp My Ride, How clean is my house?, most house makeover shows... They give me so many ideas with what to do with my future home/car etc. The gardening ones are pretty cool too. I do watch some ghost stuff too haha, it's just interesting especially when they insert history in the story. Shattered was interesting too when it was on about 5 years ago.

What I love most is Japanese shows :lol: More specifically: Japanese game shows. They are sooo much better than British/American ones. I particularly like the ones with the Silent Library (where you have to be silent in a library whilst doing funny tasks) and Ramen Soup! (About a group of friends and the random stuff they do).

[yt]U4vlkWZ178U[/yt]

That vid is confusing, why do they jump in some ice after they go in the water? Its funny but confusing.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^