What's your favourite under-rated band (or song)?

Hobgoblinpie

By under-rated, I mean that they haven't gained the attention they deserve, or have the commercial success that you believe they should have.

Obviously, this is subjective, so one person might think a band is under-rate, one person might think they are over-rated.

To start off, I'd nominate Feeder. I wont bore you with the specifics, but they started in 1992 as a rock group (quite obvious). They've made 7 albums, although one is a collection of previous singles with 3 new tracks (Lost & found, Burn the bridges and Save Us), 3 of which are platinum sellers, 2 are gold, 1 is silver, and their latest failed to make even that. So although they have exactly failed to be successful, they haven't really got what they deserve. For instance, view the two video below (they may not be available in your country).

(NOTE: The Platinum, Gold and Silver selling albums are based on statistics from the UK and do not cover other locations).

[hide=][yt]7_alI0nS2Rw[/yt][/hide]

[hide=][yt]Zr_LgUiFSyg[/yt][/hide]

So, what do you think of the songs? And obviously, post your favourite under-rated band or song(s).

I searched for a topic like this before posting, and couldn't find one, so if you know of one, then please point me in the right direction and I will report this thread to a mod to be merged/locked.

Thanks for looking.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, my favorite underrated band is the Flaming Lips. Sure, everybody knows Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, but their other albums kick as well.

safari20hat11.jpg

We should euthanize anyone who lacks the capability to contribute to society in any way.

Please don't elect this man for president in 2012

Gogol Bordello

The Dreadnoughts

Electric Russia

Flica

All pretty good, and Electric Russia only has 1 EP.

The Dreadnoughts are like Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphys but better.

Really not any of my friends haven't heard of 90% of my music, because I'd like to obscure with it.

If you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Feeder is kinda cool. Everyone knows Buck Rogers, though.

As for me:

- Curse ov Dialect (abstract hip-hop, Australia)

- Luminous Orange (shoegaze, Japan)

- Cruyff in the Bedroom (shoegaze, Japan)

- Coaltar of the Deepers (shoegazing death metal (almost), Japan)

- Hartfield (shoegaze, Japan)

- Choro Club (choro/bossanova, Japan)

- Envy (screamo, Japan)

- Mass of the Fermenting Dregs (shoegaze/post-hardcore/altrock, Japan)

- maudlin of the Well (avant-garde, USA)

Yeah I've just [bleep]ged this thread up.

Feeder is kinda cool. Everyone knows Buck Rogers, though.

I think that was the song that like set them up for their career, basically, it showed that they could be very successful. Grant Nicholas was going to give it away for free for another band to record, because he didn't like it. Glad he didn't.

Gorod.

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=44494

http://www.myspace.com/gorod

Catchy, well composed tech-death. They should be as popular as The Faceless or other trendy "techy" bands like that, but I suppose hailing from France doesn't help that much.

Edit:

Just because I'm listening to them right now, I'll add Scrambled Defuncts, a Russian brutal-technical death metal band.

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=858

http://www.myspace.com/scrambleddefuncts

Their 2005 album is some seriously impressive technical mastery. Check it out if you're a fan of brutal/technical metal.

Adagio.

A French prog-band that is slowly turning more to a power metal sound with every album. Still extremely good. (It is a bit annoying how often they change vocalists though).

Just watch this video, its an amazing song.

[yt]uiJRIJijQLw[/yt]

I have a lot. Not my absolute favorites, but they all are very good and need to be heard by more people here.

(MeloDeath)

(Not quite sure what genre, but it's really trippy)

(Pop-Punk, but don't be off-put by the genre).

(Not quite sure, sort of punk meets Bruce Springsteen in a good way)

(Prog metal/Prog death, sounds sorta like Opeth with Dark tranquility influences and less of the loud-soft dynamics and clean singing)

Intronaut (Post-Metal with breakdowns. better than that sounds)

Lo-Fi Scorpio (Industrial, link has legal download of discography. Get Noir)

mewithoutYou (No clue, but one of my favorite bands. Christian lyrics though, but they aren't overbearing. Whole Brother, Sister album is recommended.)

(AMAZING Prog death)

(Pop-punk, some of the best there is)

Thrice (Post-Hardcore, but they branch into a lot of other stuff on later albums)

Trophy Scars (Sorta Post-Hardcore, but just unique. try their debut, Hospital Music for the Aesthetics of Language)

(Metalcore)

All of these bands are really good and worth listening to.

Gorod.

Catchy, well composed tech-death. They should be as popular as The Faceless or other trendy "techy" bands like that, but I suppose hailing from France doesn't help that much.

Agreed, Gorod is amazing.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Gorod.

Agreed, Gorod is amazing.

Have you checked out their new album yet?

Nope. I will check it out now though.

Process of a New Decline?

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Yeah, that's the one. It's very good. It took me a few listenes to fully "get it", though. I'd say it's a more technical album than their previous two, so there's a lot to try and wrap your head around.

Mercyful Fate by far. Their material is solid and catchy. It might be King Diamond's singing that scares most people away but if you don't pay any mind to what he's saying they're almost perfect.

I need to listen to this. :lol:

Aside from Maudlin of the Well like SilverSword posted I'm going to go ahead and say Angizia seems to be really underrated. It's an incredible, incredible band, but also a pretty difficult to get into one. One of my favorite bands though.

I need to listen to this. :lol:

I'd say Yukari Telepath is the album that has the most DM elements. They change styles about 3 times in each song anyway, though - they're quite an interesting band.

I don't think mewithoutYou have had anywhere near the amount of press coverage in the UK that they deserve for their new album 'it's all crazy! it's all false! it's all a dream! it's alright'

Best album of 2009 without a doubt and I've only seen tiny album reviews for it.

Iron_0utkast.png

Maxed 15/06/13

I have a lot. Not my absolute favorites, but they all are very good and need to be heard by more people here.

(MeloDeath)

(Prog metal/Prog death, sounds sorta like Opeth with Dark tranquility influences and less of the loud-soft dynamics and clean singing)

mewithoutYou (No clue, but one of my favorite bands. Christian lyrics though, but they aren't overbearing. Whole Brother, Sister album is recommended.)

(AMAZING Prog death)

Thrice (Post-Hardcore, but they branch into a lot of other stuff on later albums)

Trophy Scars (Sorta Post-Hardcore, but just unique. try their debut, Hospital Music for the Aesthetics of Language)

(Metalcore)

Black moth super rainbow <3: . You like Tobacco to? (Former project)

;>

Death Angel is another band I'd like to mention. Seriously, I recommend Mercyful Fate and Death Angel to anyone.

As for songs, there are a ton of underrated RHCP songs. This Velvet Glove, Dosed, Venice Queen, Transcending, and Don't Forget Me are a few. It amazes me how their better songs are almost unheard of but Californication gets so much credit. :|

(MeloDeath)

(AMAZING Prog death)

(Metalcore)

Black moth super rainbow <3: . You like Tobacco to? (Former project)

I actually never listened to it. I probably should though.

As for songs, there are a ton of underrated RHCP songs. This Velvet Glove, Dosed, Venice Queen, Transcending, and Don't Forget Me are a few. It amazes me how their better songs are almost unheard of but Californication gets so much credit. :|

Every single song bar like 3 on By the Way and Stadium Arcadium is worthy of being a single. But no one pays attention to those much because of the more mellow and "poppy" sound. Slow Cheetah <3:

I'll have to wait and see how their burgeoning career goes, but as of right now Cage the Elephant are pretty unheard of.

p2gq.jpg

Every single song bar like 3 on By the Way and Stadium Arcadium is worthy of being a single. But no one pays attention to those much because of the more mellow and "poppy" sound. Slow Cheetah <3:

I'll have to wait and see how their burgeoning career goes, but as of right now Cage the Elephant are pretty unheard of.

Cage the Elephant seems pretty decent, got the song Ain't No Rest for the Wicked as an iTunes free single of the week.

Holy [cabbage]. Gorods new album is amazing.

Check it out here

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.