Musicians - Why do they keep playing?

quelmotz

This is a simple (and maybe unnecessary) suggestion. Musicians should stop playing when no one is listening.

I mean, they aren't supernaturals or something that never tires. They also get tired after a while.

Supporters:

1. Quelmotz

Feel free to offer constructive criticism. Just follow all forum rules.

How would you know that?

Does a fallen tree make a sound when no one is around?

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

Misc: Abyssal Whip x28 , Dark Bow x5, Beserker Ring x3, Warrior ring x1

Dragon: Dragon Platelegs x2 , Dragon Plateskirt x2, Dragon Boots x38, Dragon Med Helm x4, Shield left half x3

Godwars: Godsword shard x13, Bandos Hilt x3, Bandos Chestplate x6, Bandos Tassets x4, Bandos Boots x5, Saradomin Sword x1, Zamorakian Spear x1,. Armadyl Helm x2, Armadyl chestplate x2.

pointless much? i mean, its not like it hurts a pixelated NPC who has nothing better to do...

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

And why dont bankers work on shifts ? i mean.. they are on 24/7, they only rest when there is server restart ! I have to talk with jagex about their salary :P

P.S: They even get attacked by Wise old people sometimes >.> extra payment for that!!! being banker is risky job :P

I wish you can donate them something to play something else :) change the song for 50 gp or so

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Actually, this is part of a much wider potential update. I wish NPCs actually acted more like they were real people than robots that never tire or get bored. They should live in houses (maybe pop into a house portal?), travel along the pathways, have shifts, stuff like that. Although, if they're gonna have shifts, we have to invent time and days first.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Does a fallen tree make a sound when no one is around?

Yes.

You can use a freaking sound recorder so don't be idiotic.

Actually, this is part of a much wider potential update. I wish NPCs actually acted more like they were real people than robots that never tire or get bored. They should live in houses (maybe pop into a house portal?), travel along the pathways, have shifts, stuff like that. Although, if they're gonna have shifts, we have to invent time and days first.

Yeah, exactly. RS's NPCs act far too much like robots.

They're practicing I guess? Idk. It does seem kinda unrealistic, but I don't see this as necessary. I suppose I'd support this if it went with a whole bunch of NPC updates.

To change NPC beheviour requires massive amounts of coding if they are to behave anything at all like real people.

They could do this, or create a few new quests, monster, areas, a new skill...etc.

I'd rather they did the latter.

2Xeo5.png

Because if any of you knew the ideology and mindset of musicians, they do not play to entertain others or to entertain the notion of them satisfying you. They play because they love music. And they deep down, do not care whether you listen or not.

Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem..

They're practicing I guess? Idk. It does seem kinda unrealistic, but I don't see this as necessary. I suppose I'd support this if it went with a whole bunch of NPC updates.

Maybe I should reword the OP as an update to all NPCs, to make them more realistic.

To change NPC beheviour requires massive amounts of coding if they are to behave anything at all like real people.

They could do this, or create a few new quests, monster, areas, a new skill...etc.

I'd rather they did the latter.

True. But I don't need them to be like real people, just make them a BIT more realistic. I mean, if you see someone wielding a bloody axe and armor with bloodstains all over it walking into your house, what would you do?

a) Carry on with your activities - which is what RS NPCs do, and that is just totally unrealistic.

B) Run into a corner, screaming for help.

c) Grab a knife or something to protect yourself.

B) or c) or a combination of both won't be hard to code. The NPCs don't even need to take a knife or weapon, maybe they could just say "hey you, get out of my house" and start attacking you. The "run into a corner, screaming for help" option isn't hard to code either, as shown in the "wild dogs" example in Varrock.

Because if any of you knew the ideology and mindset of musicians, they do not play to entertain others or to entertain the notion of them satisfying you. They play because they love music. And they deep down, do not care whether you listen or not.

True, but they do get tired sometimes.

Simply no.

With a massive rework on NPCs, we lose out on more important updates.

I mean why should we have a new quest, new items and possibly a new skill when we can have NPCs acting more realistic in an MMO?

It's all about having a bit of both content updates and aesthetic updates. Too much of the former makes the game feel unpolished, and too much of the latter results in the game not having enough content. Having both makes a great game. This is just one of those possible aesthetic updates, it won't mean we'll ignore content.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Maybe if done over time, one type of NPC at a time, it could work. That way they could update their actions and not disappoint those who only care about new content. I would support it as long as they didn't focus too much manpower on it.

Any I have seen have had "music appreciators" with them at all times, anyway.

Maybe if done over time, one type of NPC at a time, it could work. That way they could update their actions and not disappoint those who only care about new content. I would support it as long as they didn't focus too much manpower on it.

Any I have seen have had "music appreciators" with them at all times, anyway.

The best way would do it area by area, because a single code won't work for all NPCs of the same type (so we would have to lose the generic Man (Level 2) model). Start small, say, the farmers in southern Misthalin. Then move to the residents of Lumbridge, or Rimmington, then the Dwarven Mine. Eventually, we can move on to bigger places like Al Kharid. It's pretty much like the area graphical updates we've seen in the past, apart from it's all about NPCs only. It's been done before, so we know that it can be a side-project and won't consume too much manpower when it's needed.

Thing is, we basically want to reduce the overused algorithm of pseudo-random movement within a set area, and make more purposeful movement. We've seen basic examples of this in Keldagrim, where a dwarf goes back and forth from his house to the market, with a selection of short (pun intended) dialogues at each end, and a drunken dwarf staggering in a circle around a pub, so I'm sure it's not past TB@JT to introduce something along the same lines.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

No. I do not support.

Why?

Because it would take far, far to much memory both on our computers and our servers. Don't you know that Java has limits? An update like this would make my computer at best lag much, much more than it already does.

And what about those poor souls still using dial-up? They do exist.

Fwut-Grand_Ego.gif

Fwut.png

No. I do not support.

Why?

Because it would take far, far to much memory both on our computers and our servers. Don't you know that Java has limits? An update like this would make my computer at best lag much, much more than it already does.

Uh, FYI, your computer does not cue all the NPCs at once time, only in the area, and if you can go into an area where NPCs move alot already, then your fine, and the servers are fine. Ill say the servers would take a little bit of strain from this, but, probably do-able. It would look a bit silly if 5 people were in a house and the NPC started running to each corner yelling and punching everyone, so you gotta be careful. Maybe some NPCs should do things, like bankers, going to different parts of the bank, doing emotes to tables and stuff, that is VERY easy as it only adds a little bit to the already random walk que they have.

But what I dont get is why we have to sit down to hear the music, why is not heard softly with the area effect music?

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see more realistic NPCs. Because sometimes, its the little things that make a big difference.

But yeah, if a guy wandered randomly into my house wielding a greataxe and wearing bloodstained armour I wouldn't act like nothing is happening.

[hide=A funny conversation]Me:Have u wondered how my brassard, which leaves my chest bare, give about the same def as ur pile of rocks?

Friend:Hahaha

Friend:Maybe you are just good at blocking with your shoulder?

Me:Ahahahahaha[/hide]Rare drops: 4 D legs, 1 D skirt

Barrows items: 2 Verac's helms, 1 Dhorak's Greataxe, 1 Dhorak's platelegs, 2 Karil's leathertops, 1 Karil's crossbow, 1 Guthan's chainskirt

Quest cape achieved 28 Dec, 2009, lost with Nomad's Requiem, re-obtained on 19 Mar 2010.

Fire cape achieved 1 Nov 2010.

No. I do not support.

Why?

Not really, as far as I know the NPC movement algorithm is executed on Jagex's servers, not the user's computer. The user only gets the results of that algorithm i.e. the NPC's position and which direction it is facing. Since this would not change at the user's end, there is no increase in lag whatsoever.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

No. I do not support.

Why?

Not really, as far as I know the NPC movement algorithm is executed on Jagex's servers, not the user's computer. The user only gets the results of that algorithm i.e. the NPC's position and which direction it is facing. Since this would not change at the user's end, there is no increase in lag whatsoever.

int xDir = Misc.random(5);

int yDir = Misc.random(5);

while (true) {

walkNPC(x + xDir, y + yDir);

}

There, thats basically NPC movement in a nutshell, with random walking. Probably a wait timer at the end of course.

while (true) {

if (Misc.random(10) == 1) {

doEmote(pickup);

} else {

}

if (distanceToPlayer(getNearestPlayer()) <= 10) {

if (Misc.random(3) == 1) {

walkNPC(x - 10, y - 10);

Text("HELP ME!");

} else {

Text("Get out of my house!");

AttackPlayer(getNearestPlayer();

}

}

}

There. I wrote basic code that causes the NPC to randomly do an action, like an emote, every so often. And there is also code to detect if a player is nearby, and if it is, it either runes away, or attacks you. Jagex are game experts, Im just a teenager who knows how to code in java, if you guys seriously dont think they can do it, your very mistaken.

No. I do not support.

Why?

int xDir = Misc.random(5);

int yDir = Misc.random(5);

while (true) {

}

There, thats basically NPC movement in a nutshell, with random walking. Probably a wait timer at the end of course.

while (true) {

if (Misc.random(10) == 1) {

doEmote(pickup);

} else {

}

if (distanceToPlayer(getNearestPlayer()) <= 10) {

if (Misc.random(3) == 1) {

walkNPC(x - 10, y - 10);

Text("HELP ME!");

} else {

Text("Get out of my house!");

AttackPlayer(getNearestPlayer();

}

}

}

There. I wrote basic code that causes the NPC to randomly do an action, like an emote, every so often. And there is also code to detect if a player is nearby, and if it is, it either runes away, or attacks you. Jagex are game experts, Im just a teenager who knows how to code in java, if you guys seriously dont think they can do it, your very mistaken.

Wow! Thanks! :thumbsup:

This is nice. You showed them that its quite possible and easy to do it.

I'm quite sick of people who don't know a thing about coding coming and spouting nonsense. Though I myself don't know much about coding... :oops:

• 2 weeks later...
No. I do not support.

Why?

I suppose these pour souls cant gwd either.