Your standing on religion

xAxelx

Also teh thing you are refering to Nadril, is actuly to do with energy. energy cannot be created or dystroyed.

It isn't matter, but ENERGY that cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be converted into another type of energy.

actually, no you are both wrong. matter IS energy. e=mc^2.

:?

No that says that Energy = matter x speed of light, squared.

It dosent just equal matter.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also teh thing you are refering to Nadril, is actuly to do with energy. energy cannot be created or dystroyed.

It isn't matter, but ENERGY that cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be converted into another type of energy.

actually, no you are both wrong. matter IS energy. e=mc^2.

Energy = mass * speed of light ^2

It doesn't mean that matter is energy. :?

==================================

Retired tip.it moderator.

Teaching and inspiring.

Nadril touched on something very important - the subject of what exists. There's really only three answers to the question of what exists: Nothing, an Impersonal Something (such as matter or energy), or a Personal Something (such as God). Your assumption about what exists will affect pretty much every belief you have.

If you believe that nothing exists; then good for you. But wait... there is no you, there is no good, this conversation isn't happening. There isn't even such thing as a conversation. There isn't even such thing as a thing!

In other words, the fact that we are talking, and that there is a we and that we are using words, disproves the idea that nothing exists.

If an impersonal something exists, then it explains the unity of reality. If matter and energy are all that exist, then it would make sense that everything is made up of matter and energy. However, it doesn't explain the diversity of the world. If there is nothing but matter and energy, then what is the point of diversity? There is no more meaning for a human than a plant or an atom - they're all just that same impersonal something.

Meh, I don't have time to write anymore, but I'll try to write more about the impersonal something and the personal something when I get a chance.

Edit: To Nadril - whether it's energy or matter that cannot be created or destroyed, it's still an impersonal something, and both yield the same results philosophically. :)

Punctuation.gif

"In so far as I am Man I am the chief of creatures. In so far as I am a man I am the chief of sinners." - G.K. Chesterton

It doesn't mean that matter is energy. Confused

cant destroy matter without destroying energy also. matter is energy, just a different form.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

And about people who live good lives? The Bible makes it very clear, that we are to live life dependent on God for our salvation (read Romans 4, Abraham was justified by faith, not works). Of course faith produces "good lives", but first we must have faith in Christ. Of course the name "Jesus Christ" does not matter, it is the attitude of dependency on God, the attitude that we need Him for us to live our "good lives".

Since you mention the letter to the Romans, have you also read Romans 8? I had lectures about it for 1 week when I was in Taiz̮̩̉̉. It says that people live either in the Spirit of God and Jesus Christ, or in sinfulness (so quite the same as living with faith, and being forgiven, or living without and being sinful). It also says implicitly that the Spirit lives in everyone who does not knowingly reject God's mercy (we are all children of God, the Spirit lives in us because we are children of God). Hence, everyone who does not knowingly, willingly, renounces God's mercy will be saved. The brother who gave the lecture explicitly pointed out that one should not assume from this text that only people who explicitly believe in God have the Spirit - the Spirit lives in you regardless of everything else, as long as you do not renounce it.

Interesting, it's not something I'll just take as you say, as you didn't provide actual verses, and I quickly skimmed the passage (NASB, fyi - widely recognized as the most 'accurate' English translation as it takes each word seperately translated, but knowing you, you'll beg to differ, and that's alright ;)) - and didn't see anything to point out that all were saved save those who reject Him. It is also very consistent throughout Scripture, that it is those that accept Christ, that are brought salvation - not those that merely do not reject him. You have my word (for what it's worth) though, that I will definately look into this matter more fully.

xyrec: this is an example of what I just said: insane and I seem to disagree, though we both read the bible, we read it in different ways. It's impossible to specify one 'true' way to read it, even if not simply because of translating issues, then because of interpretational differences. Heck, Jehovah's witnesses read the bible. They conclude from it that blood contains a person's soul, and thus blood transfusions are transferring your soul - woah, we shouldn't have that!

In other words: it's not as simple as saying 'the bible is the only thing we need, and we will all believe the same', nor can one say 'there is only one way to read the bible, so everyone who does not read it exactly as I do is a fraud Christian' (I know you didn't say that, I'm just pointing things out :-) )

Though this is true, I still believe that there is an objective Truth that can be revealed to us throughout Scripture - and with God's guidance and the Spirit's revelation, that Truth can be attained.

summerpngwy6.jpg

If an impersonal something exists, then it explains the unity of reality. If matter and energy are all that exist, then it would make sense that everything is made up of matter and energy. However, it doesn't explain the diversity of the world. If there is nothing but matter and energy, then what is the point of diversity? There is no more meaning for a human than a plant or an atom - they're all just that same impersonal something.

*barges into thread*

I think that many atheists/agnostics (including me) would argue that there's nothing about a human that's fundamentally different from a plant or atom. I know you didn't really get to finish your argument, so I'll ask you: what makes you believe that a human isn't simply a collection of atoms?

Things are sick and twisted from too much sun and Nazis.

Sex, meth, and death fetishes, both of them have got these.

Guarenteed not to bore ya, Germany or Florida!

*barges into thread*

I think that many atheists/agnostics (including me) would argue that there's nothing about a human that's fundamentally different from a plant or atom. I know you didn't really get to finish your argument, so I'll ask you: what makes you believe that a human isn't simply a collection of atoms?

I agree.

I'm going to go into DNA (since I'm going to be a biotech major). DNA of all creatures is similar and universal. It is all made up of the same four amino acids (Adenine, Thymine, Cytosine, Guanine). Though they are made up of the same four amino acids, they are put in different combinations; different combinations make different proteins, which in turn, creates diversity.

We humans are simply a bunch of cells -- stuck together to form a body. Nothing more.

==================================

Retired tip.it moderator.

Teaching and inspiring.

It doesn't mean that matter is energy. Confused

cant destroy matter without destroying energy also. matter is energy, just a different form.

Yes you can destroy matter but you can't destroy energy (see nuclear fusion/fission which releases radiation in return for a smaller atomic mass). Energy from destroyed matter just thins out, like spreading a bit of butter across a piece of toast, the butter isnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t gone but it isnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t in one large clump anymore.

E=mc^2 is an equivalence equation for both energy and matter.

Might I state that you can have energy without mass (e.g. messenger particles such as photons).

An Objects momentum is stated as:

E^2 = p^2c^2 + m^2c^4 (this equation is especially useful for relativistic objects such as photons compared to the approximation p=mv which many people understand momentum as)

Substitute 0 for mass and it turns out:

E = pc or E/c = p

Which means mass-less objects can carry momentum and also have an energy value associated with it.

I think its all a joke and the world would be a better place if no one belived in that stuff.
Oh dear you poor delusion boy / girl.

If there was no god, then why believe in rules? Why believe in order? If there is no god, then there is no right and wrong, because it was god who instilled in us the human nature to make us think "hey, killing someone is wrong".

I could talk heaps more about this but I couldn't be bothered typing more.

To sum it all up I believe in God, I'm a christian. :) I think that believing in a "higher being that loves you so much that he gave his only son to die for you" is much better than believing in nothing.

So if you believe in nothing, you have no purpose in life other than to party hard, screw as many chicks as you can (to ensure your genes is passed on) and then die when you're time is up. Wow, what a bleak outlook... If our kids are being brought up to not believe in a god, no wonder there are more suicides, school shootings, murders and bombings then ever before... Because hey! THERE AREN'T ANY RULES!! :wink:

If there was no god, then why believe in rules? Why believe in order? If there is no god, then there is no right and wrong, because it was god who instilled in us the human nature to make us think "hey, killing someone is wrong".
Morality. I'm a good person. Ive said this many times before but ill say it again. I do good stuff to people, I help out charities and donate a lot of my time and money to help other people. I don't do anything illegal and I'm nice to my friends and family. I don't belive in god yet i'm still more of a christian than most christians.

Being good to other people is about having morals and respect, you dont need "god" to tell you whats right and wrong. You know whats right without being told, or at least I do. You are simply blinded by faith in something which does not exist.

And for the record, look at New Orleans, one of the most right wing religious areas in America. In the time of need and in the time of despair in the superdome people were being stabbed, raped and killed. Horray for god.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Morality. I'm a good person. Ive said this many times before but ill say it again. I do good stuff to people, I help out charities and donate a lot of my time and money to help other people. I don't do anything illegal and I'm nice to my friends and family. I don't belive in god yet i'm still more of a christian than most christians.

Being good to other people is about having morals and respect, you dont need "god" to tell you whats right and wrong. You know whats right without being told, or at least I do. You are simply blinded by faith in something which does not exist.

And for the record, look at New Orleans, one of the most right wing religious areas in America. In the time of need and in the time of despair in the superdome people were being stabbed, raped and killed. Horray for god.

Here's a great quote I love to use...

"If the solar system was brought about by an accidental collision, then the appearance of organic life on this planet was also an accident, and the whole evolution of Man was an accident too. If so, then all our present thoughts are mere accidents - the accidental by-product of the movement of atoms. And this holds for the thoughts of the materialists and astronomers as well as for anyone else's. But if their thoughts - i.e., of Materialism and Astronomy - are merely accidental by-products, why should we believe them to be true? I see no reason for believing that one accident should be able to give me a correct account of all the other accidents. It's like expecting that the accidental shape taken by the splash when you upset a milk-jug should give you a correct account of how the jug was made and why it was upset."

-- C.S. Lewis

You don't even know what you're saying mercifull, because you were just an accidental by-product of the evolution of man. All your thoughts are just accidents, all your actions are accidents. Infact, if you don't believe in some sort of supreme being, YOU MEAN NOTHING! When you die, you will be forgotten over the hundreds of years that are yet to take place. Everyone posting in this board will eventually be forgotten. No one means anything to anybody because we're all just accidental by-products of the evolution of a perfect human!

I may aswell just go and kill myself right now... :wink:

You don't even know what you're saying mercifull, because you were just an accidental by-product of the evolution of man. All your thoughts are just accidents, all your actions are accidents. Infact, if you don't believe in some sort of supreme being, YOU MEAN NOTHING! When you die, you will be forgotten over the hundreds of years that are yet to take place. Everyone posting in this board will eventually be forgotten. No one means anything to anybody because we're all just accidental by-products of the evolution of a perfect human!

Thats exactly what I mean. Humans are nothing, the only thing that seperates us from other animals on this world is that we are sentient. We have the same basic needs, instincts and desires. The meaning of life is to survive.

I don't understand how your comment are relevant to what I said earlier, its a straw man argument.

So yeah go and kill youself, you're going to heaven anyway right?... ;)

Neanderthal man did not one day give birth to modern human, we are are evolved over millions of years by natural selection and "survival of the fittest". I guess its kinda "by accident" tho its a bit more complex than that. We are FAR from perfect, very much so. I dont consider a perfect being to go incontinent when it reaches a certain age, and before you bang on about eyes being so amazing. Look around you, look at all the people wearing glasses ot correct their imperfect vision.

You are simply another "Intelligent Design" person whos been told to many lies over the years that you truely belife it.

Evolution is simply change... Biolife changes and if the modification is better for survival then the change is reproduced. Add the changes together and you can have something different than the starting biolife.

Finding holes in the Theory of Evolution isn't proof for any other speculation such as Intelligent Design. ID has to have direct proof to support it. It doesn't. No matter what it claims, there is no proof, it just attacks on Evolution.

1st) Intelligent Design isn't a Scientific Theory... At best, it's philsophical speculation and at worst it is medievil magic from a invisible magical being.

2nd) Intelligent design is untestable.. It is untestable, unless you can present the Designer, that's the only test I can think of about ID.

3rd) ID is non falsifiable, how do you falsify a statement that has no evidence to support it.

4th) A Scientific Theory is a model that that is verifiable from outside sources and explains how things work.... It makes predictions. ID can make no prediction, except that when it looks complicated to someone with authority, he claims Intelligent Design did this and case close, no more to be learned. No avenues to explore,, no anything.. Now, Science looks at it and says, it's complicated and we don't have the answers, lets look at it more and investigate.

On top of everything.. Science is defined by finding answers of this physical world, in physical worldy means. Not the Supernatural. The supernatural has been used for at least the last 10,000 years and they learned nothing. It's only been the last few hundred years Science has been used, and look at the difference.. Science works... gods/superstition/make-believe doesn't.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Would you care to explain what you are trying to say, because this is just a little weird, in my opinion. Especially that last line didn't make much sense to me

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

I have recently decide I dont believe in god, which means im Atheist.

I just dont understand how everyone believes in it. What is your standing on this?

(im not sure if this is like against the rules talking about this so sorry if it is moderators)

I would say im kind of a Atheist as well, but if i had to chose a religion it would have to be catholic, i guess i just believe with alot of their morales, which is what i guess religion is supposed to be about. I never go to church but i think one day i will not because i believe firmly in GOD but because i believe in what the catholic regilion is publising.

I can see a flame war starting. I don't have time to type everything out so I'm just going to look at a few of your points.

I dont consider a perfect being to go incontinent when it reaches a certain age, and before you bang on about eyes being so amazing. Look around you, look at all the people wearing glasses ot correct their imperfect vision.
Since when did I say we are perfect? I agree, we are far from perfect, thanks to sin.

You are simply another "Intelligent Design" person whos been told to many lies over the years that you truely belife it.
And you are just another "I believe everything that the system tells me" person. Break out of your shell and think for yourself, don't let the fascist way that this planet is run govern your thoughts.

Finding unknowns (holes) in the Theory of Evolution isn't proof for any other speculation such as Intelligent Design.
The fossil record, completely devoid of so called "intermediate species". There is only a handful of debatable so called intermediate fossils ever found. Darwin recognised this hole in the fossil record and hoped that it would be cleared up with the increase in technology over the years. That never came true.

You say that there isn't any proof for intelligent design? How bout the fossil record? It's there as plain as day for anyone to see, Fully developed animals appear in the fossil record.

1st) Intelligent Design isn't a Scientific Theory... At best, it's philsophical speculation and at worst it is midevil magic from a invisible magical being.
Thanks for sharing your opinion on that one, unfortunately your dogmatic approach to that one doesn't really convery much information.

2nd) Intelliget design is untestable.. It is untestable, unless you can present the Designer, that's the only test I can think of about ID.
And evolution is untestable too. Have you been back in time and seen how the universe started with the 'big bang'? Have you read from a primary source about how things evolved?

I can assume that you're going to point to all the dating methods of rocks and bones and things for this one. A pity that all that dating is just a fancy way of saying "I think that this is about x years old". See here for more info on that one (I'm getting tired).

3rd) ID is non falsifiable, how do you falsify a statement that has no evidence to support it.
I could say exactly the same thing about evolution. There is 0 evidence for particles to people evolution, the only thing you'll find is people assuming and day dreaming about what happened.

4th) A Scientific Theory is a model that that is verifiable from outside sources and explains how things work.... It makes predictions. ID can make no prediction, except that when it looks complicated to someone with authority, he claims Intelligent Design did this and case close, no more to be learned. No avenues to explore,, no anything.. Now, Science looks at it and says, it's complicated and we don't have the answers, lets look at it more and investigate.
You must be listening / reading about very foolish creationists. I myself would never do that. See here on what REAL scientists believe about creation. You're using the straw man yourself here, supporting your position by saying that everyone who believes in ID are egg heads and don't really know anything about ID (that is true for some people I guess, but then again you have the same kind of people with evolution. They just believe in it because that's what society says.

The supernatural has been used for at least the last 10,000 years and they learned nothing. It's only been the last few hundred years Science has been used, and look at the difference.. Science works...
You fail to see that a significant (infact overwhelming) proportion of inventions and discoveries have been made by creationists. These people are all creationists who made incredible discoveries... Isaac Newton, Galileo Galilei, Johannes Kepler, Sir Francis Bacon, Blaise Pascal, Robert Boyle, William Herschel, John Herschel, Samuel F. B. Morse, Michael Faraday, Charles Babbage , William Thomson Lord Kelvin, James Clerk Maxwell, Gregor Mendel, Louis Pasteur, George Washington Carver, James Irwin and Wernher von Braun.

So... they learned nothing eh? :)

Would you care to explain what you are trying to say, because this is just a little weird, in my opinion. Especially that last line didn't make much sense to me.
If we are all just accidents of evolution, then why should I believe that one accident (ie mercifull) can account for all other accidents? If we're just all accidents, we're nothing. Look at the size of the universe, now look at the size of you or I. According to mercifull's (and many other peoples) beliefs, we don't mean jack to anything. We're just going to die and we will be forgotten. So why not just die now? Cause our lives are meaningless... :?

I don't think I will contribute to this thread anymore, it is too exhausting and time consuming to type this much. I much prefer to debate in voice, and I do enjoy a bit of the old brain stimulation (makes me think whenever I debate about topics such as this).

By the way, don't take any of this personally mercifull, I'm sure you're a great guy and we're just having a friendly debate, right? I respect you're opinion, even though I may get a little heated in the middle of it all. :)

Thanks for reading and cheers.

i believe in what the catholic regilion is publising.

anti-women

anti-human rights

anti-contraception

anti-freedom of choice

anti-sexual freedom (gay, lesbian, bi, tg etc)

?

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

anti-women

anti-human rights

anti-contraception

anti-freedom of choice

anti-sexual freedom (*, *, bi, tg etc)

?

Yeah I have to agree... Catholics... *thumbs down*. (I'm a protestant, of no particular demonination. I just like to call myself a christian).

Would you care to explain what you are trying to say, because this is just a little weird, in my opinion. Especially that last line didn't make much sense to me.

If we are all just accidents of evolution, then why should I believe that one accident (ie mercifull) can account for all other accidents? If we're just all accidents, we're nothing. Look at the size of the universe, now look at the size of you or I. According to mercifull's (and many other peoples) beliefs, we don't mean jack to anything. We're just going to die and we will be forgotten. So why not just die now? Cause our lives are meaningless... :?

But why die now then? It's a bit negative and weird point of view if you ask me. We are here now, right? We do have a choice now, wether we are accidents or not, that is something.

21o4pav.jpg

But why die now then? It's a bit negative and weird point of view if you ask me. We are here now, right? We do have a choice now, wether we are accidents or not, that is something.

An excellent and most valid point. We do have a choice, a choice to believe in God (to believe what he says) and to accept his gift of eternal life or the more negetive choice. To be an athiest, bluntly ignore God throughout your life, maybe fulfill a few of your aspirations and then die. There's no more... You're gone. You'll be forgotten. That's it, no more for you.

I really do prefer option number 1. How 'bout you?

An excellent and most valid point. We do have a choice, a choice to believe in God (to believe what he says) and to accept his gift of eternal life or the more negetive choice. To be an athiest, bluntly ignore God throughout your life, maybe fulfill a few of your aspirations and then die. There's no more... You're gone. You'll be forgotten. That's it, no more for you.

I really do prefer option number 1. How 'bout you?

Yea, no more for you maybe, but you had the choice, you had the possibitlity to pass things on, to change things etc. so you won't be forgotten.

21o4pav.jpg

Yea, no more for you maybe, but you had the choice, you had the possibitlity to pass things on, to change things etc. so you won't be forgotten.

You're kinda missing the point. The main point is that you will be dead, and the dead know nothing (according to the bible, it's like sleep, except without dreams... :P ).

Talking about sleep, I need some know. I'm starting to blabber on about who knows what. I just hope that you feel that you made the right decision. A lot of people are scared of thoughts that there might be something more to life then partying hard / enjoying yourself. More to life then dying.

PM me if you wish. :)

You're kinda missing the point. The main point is that you will be dead, and the dead know nothing (according to the bible, it's like sleep, except without dreams... :P ).

I believe in God, but I honestly doubt an Atheist would care what would happen after his death according to the bible, since he doesn't believe in it. So they wouldn't care either, would they?

21o4pav.jpg

xyrec: this is an example of what I just said: insane and I seem to disagree, though we both read the bible, we read it in different ways. It's impossible to specify one 'true' way to read it, even if not simply because of translating issues, then because of interpretational differences. Heck, Jehovah's witnesses read the bible. They conclude from it that blood contains a person's soul, and thus blood transfusions are transferring your soul - woah, we shouldn't have that!

Ummmm....slight mistake there. Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe that blood contains a person's soul. They don't even believe in an immortal soul. The reason for denying blood transfusions has to do with respect of the sanctity of blood.

In other words: it's not as simple as saying 'the bible is the only thing we need, and we will all believe the same', nor can one say 'there is only one way to read the bible, so everyone who does not read it exactly as I do is a fraud Christian' (I know you didn't say that, I'm just pointing things out :-) )

It's true that some parts of the bible arn't explicit in their meaning and thus are up to interpretation but some things are too clear to be up to interpretation. If the bible says "thou shalt not 'blank'!" then it's pretty obvious, we shouldn't do whatever blank is. So is the whole bible up to interpretation? I don't feel so...some people obviously do though because I've already seen people say that they think most of the bible is made up despite it being a very historically accurate book.

anti-women

anti-human rights

anti-contraception

anti-freedom of choice

anti-sexual freedom (*, *, bi, tg etc)

?

Yeah I have to agree... Catholics... *thumbs down*. (I'm a protestant, of no particular demonination. I just like to call myself a christian).

Although I enjoyed reading a few of your previous posts, this discouraged me - you're generalizing.

summerpngwy6.jpg