Why can't adults drink?

Zierro

I'm already running late for work so this'll be quick,

"binge drinking is classed as 3 pints!"

That's not binge drinking, that's just being over the limit. There is a difference.

"I wonder how many pages I have been defending myself from this on slaught of pro alcohol people?"

Do you know why that is? Because almost every point you make is completely ignorant and either biased or wrong.

And Sworddude made a good point about not all alcohol tasting nasty. You say you didn't like vodka - I agree, straight vodka tastes like crap, however when it's mixed with coke or orange juice or something it's actually quite nice.

Could go on but I have to dash.

Binge drinking is classed as 3 pints cos it was on a documentary.

I know why I have been attacked by them .... cos I am attacking something they like but instead of saying "ok, you don't like it but we do" it has been dragged across about 3 pages (thats a guess).

How does that work? I am ignorant cos I don't drink alcohol? So cos I don't do something I know nothing about it? Does that mean because you drink you know everything about it?

Maybe I know more than you do about it and I am telling you the infomation but because i am attacking something you like you don't want to take that infomation on cos you don't want it to effect your view of alcohol.

Maybe instead of making my brain grow slower by drinking alcohol I have read about it and watched a few programmes about it while you sat around downing pint after pint.

Here is an interesting article that I read today, that might be of relevance.

Article

Or, if you don't want to go off-site :

[hide=Alcohol link in 47% of murders]ALMOST half the homicides between 2000 and 2006 involved the consumption of alcohol, according to figures in a report.

A paper released by the Australian Institute of Criminology showed that of the 1565 murders recorded in that period, 746 or 47 per cent were classified as alcohol-related and, in 60 per cent of these incidents, the victim and offender had been drinking alcohol.

The Alcohol and Homicide in Australia paper drew on victim toxicology reports.

The institute's general manager (research), Dr Judy Putt, said eight of 10 homicides occurring in recreational venues were alcohol related and homicides on weekends or evenings were most likely to involve alcohol.

"Factors like gender, employment status, age, the relationship between victim and offender, as well as whether those involved were of indigenous backgrounds, affected the likelihood of alcohol being involved," Dr Putt said.

"Homicides involving male victims, unemployed victims and young offenders were also identified as most likely to have been alcohol related."

The paper also shows that 44 per cent of intimate partner homicides were alcohol related.

"The study found homicides where a male victim was killed by a female intimate partner were highly likely to be related to alcohol consumption (73 per cent), indicating that it is a more significant factor in intimate partner homicide than indicated by previous studies.

"Eighty-seven per cent of intimate partner homicides among the indigenous population were alcohol related, making it the highest proportion of alcohol-related homicide of all factors studied," Dr Putt said.[/hide]

It's Aus, what do you expect? I don't know any teens outside of my immediate family who haven't been drunk on several weekends, all underaged.

What does that mean? "It's Aus, what do you expect?" Do you think aussies are more aggersive when there drunk then other countries?

perfetc_666.png

IM GOING TO LIVE FOREVER .......... or die trying

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not binge drinking, that's just being over the limit. There is a difference.

"I wonder how many pages I have been defending myself from this on slaught of pro alcohol people?"

Do you know why that is? Because almost every point you make is completely ignorant and either biased or wrong.

And Sworddude made a good point about not all alcohol tasting nasty. You say you didn't like vodka - I agree, straight vodka tastes like crap, however when it's mixed with coke or orange juice or something it's actually quite nice.

I know why I have been attacked by them .... cos I am attacking something they like but instead of saying "ok, you don't like it but we do" it has been dragged across about 3 pages (thats a guess).

How does that work? I am ignorant cos I don't drink alcohol? So cos I don't do something I know nothing about it? Does that mean because you drink you know everything about it?

Maybe I know more than you do about it and I am telling you the infomation but because i am attacking something you like you don't want to take that infomation on cos you don't want it to effect your view of alcohol.

Maybe instead of making my brain grow slower by drinking alcohol I have read about it and watched a few programmes about it while you sat around downing pint after pint.

You're not ignorant because you don't drink, you are ignorant because you only have looked at 1 side. Do you think you're the only one that has seen those videos? I have seen plenty, I know people get hospitalised because of it. (Drunks thrown their empty beer bottles at me because I didn't want to sit and get drunk with them, they missed luckily.) I know that alcohol affects your body in a negative way, many things that you eat and drink do it too. Just because it may hurt you doesn't mean that people should stop it.

Article

[hide=Alcohol link in 47% of murders]ALMOST half the homicides between 2000 and 2006 involved the consumption of alcohol, according to figures in a report.

A paper released by the Australian Institute of Criminology showed that of the 1565 murders recorded in that period, 746 or 47 per cent were classified as alcohol-related and, in 60 per cent of these incidents, the victim and offender had been drinking alcohol.

The institute's general manager (research), Dr Judy Putt, said eight of 10 homicides occurring in recreational venues were alcohol related and homicides on weekends or evenings were most likely to involve alcohol.

"Factors like gender, employment status, age, the relationship between victim and offender, as well as whether those involved were of indigenous backgrounds, affected the likelihood of alcohol being involved," Dr Putt said.

"Homicides involving male victims, unemployed victims and young offenders were also identified as most likely to have been alcohol related."

The paper also shows that 44 per cent of intimate partner homicides were alcohol related.

"The study found homicides where a male victim was killed by a female intimate partner were highly likely to be related to alcohol consumption (73 per cent), indicating that it is a more significant factor in intimate partner homicide than indicated by previous studies.

"Eighty-seven per cent of intimate partner homicides among the indigenous population were alcohol related, making it the highest proportion of alcohol-related homicide of all factors studied," Dr Putt said.[/hide]

It's Aus, what do you expect? I don't know any teens outside of my immediate family who haven't been drunk on several weekends, all underaged.

What does that mean? "It's Aus, what do you expect?" Do you think aussies are more aggersive when there drunk then other countries?

No, it's just more of a thing to do on a weekend in Australia. There are places where whole towns will live off welfare and drink all the time. It's just Australian culture to get drunk.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

You're not ignorant because you don't drink, you are ignorant because you only have looked at 1 side. Do you think you're the only one that has seen those videos? I have seen plenty, I know people get hospitalised because of it. (Drunks thrown their empty beer bottles at me because I didn't want to sit and get drunk with them, they missed luckily.) I know that alcohol affects your body in a negative way, many things that you eat and drink do it too. Just because it may hurt you doesn't mean that people should stop it.

Article

No, it's just more of a thing to do on a weekend in Australia. There are places where whole towns will live off welfare and drink all the time. It's just Australian culture to get drunk.

There is no other side, all of that which I have said happens, you mess your body up a bit, you end up broke, smelling of booze, feel like crap in the morning and all the other stuff in return for fun and relaxation or in my case violence and aggression ( I may not have been drunk but I have been tipsy).

perfetc_666.png

There is no other side, all of that which I have said happens, you mess your body up a bit, you end up broke, smelling of booze, feel like crap in the morning and all the other stuff in return for fun and relaxation or in my case violence and aggression ( I may not have been drunk but I have been tipsy).

There is an other side. Those who haven't become broke, those who don't end up smelling like booze, and those who get over hangovers quick and easy. My dad has been drunk and the next day he: wasn't broke, not even close, didn't smell of booze, but rather smoke from them lighting a fire, he wasn't hungover, or it didn't bother him, he was even cleaning up from the party as it was his 50th party. The dog spent the day sleeping as he had been given beer the night before.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

This is why you have to defend yourself.

Your problem is that you refuse to see any arguments but your own...which are biased and based on "documentaries" and after school specials and what have you (which aren't a real source unless you provide the name ;)).

As to the topic, drinking is good. In moderation. Oh, and I've never seen any of what you describe...since I haven't seen it, is it invalid? Think on it.

There is an other side. Those who haven't become broke, those who don't end up smelling like booze, and those who get over hangovers quick and easy. My dad has been drunk and the next day he: wasn't broke, not even close, didn't smell of booze, but rather smoke from them lighting a fire, he wasn't hungover, or it didn't bother him, he was even cleaning up from the party as it was his 50th party. The dog spent the day sleeping as he had been given beer the night before.

Every time I have drunk with people in been around people who are drinking I can always smell the alcohol on there breath and clothes.

I said you end up broke, not you have a few drinks and all of a sudden you have no money what so ever.

Btw I see people keep using italics so weather it's my pc or my eyes (I wear glasses) I can't see the italics so using them is a waste of time tbh.

I think the effects of alcohol doesn't justify the good point(s), more con's then pro's, etc. etc.

This is why you have to defend yourself.

Your problem is that you refuse to see any arguments but your own...which are biased and based on "documentaries" and after school specials and what have you (which aren't a real source unless you provide the name ;)).

As to the topic, drinking is good. In moderation. Oh, and I've never seen any of what you describe...since I haven't seen it, is it invalid? Think on it.

Is there any more that I need to see? You get drunk "you have a good time, you relax, you enjoy yourself more" blah blah blah I have seen that side of the argument.

I put those points in speach marks cos it is a matter of opinion.

You are a hypocrite since your saying the exact same thing over and over again dispite what I have typed. I could write a story about pigs and you would probably not read it and type "that's biased and ignorant."

You all (as in people who talking to me) seem to spend more time attacking me than trying to argue your side of the debate/discussion/argument (whatever you want to call it).

The only thing I have heard on your side is alcohol helps you have a good time and relaxes you, the rest is spent calling me whatever and about my problems (how biased I am or ignorant blah blah blah).

Think on it!

Were do you get your infomation from about certain things? Go and talk to experts? No, you probably watch tv or read books, both of which I have done, which is why I can say I know what a hang over is, I know how you can drink beer from a bottle, I know that alocohol doesn't kill brain cells and more.

Drinking in moderation maybe good but how many teenagers drink in moderation? Infact how many adults do? I know it's going to be alot less than teenagers but its still going to be alot.

Theres about 6.8 billion people in the world, do you think there are more drinkers than non drinkers? I put money on it only being about 20% of the worlds population are non drinkers.

perfetc_666.png

For the rest of the people debating in this thread. I believe we should look on why the lawmakers made it 21+, then we can break that down...no? :|

I try to be civil but read whats been thrown at me aswell, its a bit biased since I am 1 of about 2 on this entire thread that doesn't drink.
We're debating why can't adults drink. You're simply saying random facts and statements.

Your an expert on drink cos you drink it?
Based on my history and the history of my friends. Of whom I can go to them for advice. Yes.

I am not allowed to think it tastes like crap? Some people don't like somethings now they cannot voice there opinion on it? :?
If you can actually go in-depth on what it was then yes, you can. But you're saying it tastes like crap, without any specific is just pointless.

People have alcohol with everything and people also over exaggerate (me saying peoples lives revolve around it, for example)
Then why say such statements? Why exaggerate? It's making only making your argument which is already weak, more weak.

What is to get? It does cos alot and not just to buy the alcohol but to clean up the effects of it.
Don't even get what you said here.

You conveniently cut out of that quote were I said "I didn't mean for it to sound harsh." nicely done. =D>
Either re-word your sentence or think before posting. But it doesn't matter anyways, because the matter of the fact is, you still believe everyone who drinks is an idiot.

"That you're not looking too hard enough"? If I see a group of people drinking in those places what else am I meant to see? Except a group of people drinking in them places?
You acted like everyone in your town was a drunk. Be more specific, or I'm simply going to say once again, you're only looking for what you want to see.

Jesus, am I being attacked for not liking alcohol or what!
Our intention is not to attack you. Our intention is debate.

I bet if I asked, do you think you drink to much? It would be a resounding "no"
Yes, I don't. So it will be a No.

Can I ask how often do you all drink?
It's been a while. On rare occasions.

Last time I drunk was 1st of november 07. I plan on having an alcoholic drink on the 1st of november 09. ::'
It still seems your ignorant, as your statements/arguments have shown.

For the rest of the people debating in this thread. I believe we should look on why the lawmakers made it 21+, then we can break that down...no? :|

I try to be civil but read whats been thrown at me aswell, its a bit biased since I am 1 of about 2 on this entire thread that doesn't drink.
We're debating why can't adults drink. You're simply saying random facts and statements.

Your an expert on drink cos you drink it?
Based on my history and the history of my friends. Of whom I can go to them for advice. Yes.

I am not allowed to think it tastes like crap? Some people don't like somethings now they cannot voice there opinion on it? :?
If you can actually go in-depth on what it was then yes, you can. But you're saying it tastes like crap, without any specific is just pointless.

People have alcohol with everything and people also over exaggerate (me saying peoples lives revolve around it, for example)
Then why say such statements? Why exaggerate? It's making only making your argument which is already weak, more weak.

What is to get? It does cos alot and not just to buy the alcohol but to clean up the effects of it.
Don't even get what you said here.

You conveniently cut out of that quote were I said "I didn't mean for it to sound harsh." nicely done. =D>
Either re-word your sentence or think before posting. But it doesn't matter anyways, because the matter of the fact is, you still believe everyone who drinks is an idiot.

"That you're not looking too hard enough"? If I see a group of people drinking in those places what else am I meant to see? Except a group of people drinking in them places?
You acted like everyone in your town was a drunk. Be more specific, or I'm simply going to say once again, you're only looking for what you want to see.

Jesus, am I being attacked for not liking alcohol or what!
Our intention is not to attack you. Our intention is debate.

I bet if I asked, do you think you drink to much? It would be a resounding "no"
Yes, I don't. So it will be a No.

Can I ask how often do you all drink?
It's been a while. On rare occasions.

Last time I drunk was 1st of november 07. I plan on having an alcoholic drink on the 1st of november 09. ::'
It still seems your ignorant, as your statements/arguments have shown.

(my 29th post on this thread :thumbsup: )

No, I gave my opinoin on it then was targeted because I think differently from every body else here.

So your friends who drink alcohol are experts on it cos they drink it? :lol: have you heard kids saying to each other you can get pregnant if you kiss, does that make that true? Just because 1 of your mates tells you something doesn't mean it is true.

You want me to describe more in depth what crap tastes like? It tastes awful, bitter, strong ... is that enough? Maybe it is just me cos I can't tell the difference between carling and fosters and all the other kinds. If you try something and you don't like it you will say it tastes like crap every body knows you think it tastes like crap but I say it tastes like crap and you want more info on it :?

When you drink alcohol it makes your brain grow more slowly, in other words it is held back which is the definition of mentaly r.e.t.a.r.d.e.d. so calling you an idiot is just a slight stretch of the imagination since an idiot is some body with an iq less than 25, so I have read anyway.

How do you want me to be more specific? And I will try to be. I can only say what I see, do you want me to knock on people's homes and say "hi, are you drinking any amount of alcohol tonight?" If I walk down the street to town and back again I will see people in the park and in bus stops drinking things like white lightining (very cheap cider). What more do you want?

If you read from just a few pages ago there has been no debate, I am not 100% sure but I think every single person has quoted me so there isn't a disscusion its just talking at me.

Wow, I am a psychic :lol:

I am going to drink on the 1st of november 09 and I am still ignorant! I am doing more than you are in this debate. Instead of just sitting on 1 side I am going to experiance the other side by drinking, what are you going to do?

Do you even know what that word means, ignorant? (the irony, if you don't!) incase you don't: it means lacking in knowledge, I have proven I am not ignorant and I am going to take it 1 step further and drink. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT!?

Sorry, for going round the word filter but I wasn't calling any body a r.e.t.a.r.d, I was stating that thats what happens to your brain when you drink.

perfetc_666.png

It's impossible to try and explain to someone who doesn't drink or has had a bad experience with alcohol why it's so nice to sit down and have a drink with some friends. Really, it's impossible. No matter how much someone tries to argue you are only going to see the bad, or you're going to think that all of the bad that is associated with alcohol happens a lot more than the good. Of course you don't see it as the pro's outweighing the cons because you're trying to compare it with the worst.

As far as you go, perfectc, you seem to be making some incredibly stupid arguments.

So your friends who drink alcohol are experts on it cos they drink it? :lol: have you heard kids saying to each other you can get pregnant if you kiss, does that make that true? Just because 1 of your mates tells you something doesn't mean it is true.

Not only do you not know who his friends are but you don't know their experiences. And yes, I would consider someone to be quite knowledgeable if they took part of the act or consumed it. Your example is stupid because clearly those kids don't actually know what sex is. However I would consider a person who has had sex to probably know a decent bit about how you can get pregnant. It all comes with experience, and in all honesty you're shooting yourself in the foot here because you really haven't experienced alcohol (other than a sip of vodka).

You want me to describe more in depth what crap tastes like? It tastes awful, bitter, strong ... is that enough? Maybe it is just me cos I can't tell the difference between carling and fosters and all the other kinds. If you try something and you don't like it you will say it tastes like crap every body knows you think it tastes like crap but I say it tastes like crap and you want more info on it :?

It's more of the fact that just because you think it tastes like crap doesn't mean other people hate it. I dislike the taste of strawberries, but this doesn't mean that anyone who eats them are stupid because they taste bad. And anyways alcohol is a refined taste after a while.

When you drink alcohol it makes your brain grow more slowly, in other words it is held back which is the definition of mentaly r.e.t.a.r.d.e.d. so calling you an idiot is just a slight stretch of the imagination since an idiot is some body with an iq less than 25, so I have read anyway.

source please. You're just making up [cabbage] now, including this entire iq less than 25 bullcrap which doesn't even have any meaning on this thread. Still you're going into some really stupid territory by saying that anyone who drinks alcohol is going to become mentally retarded.

How do you want me to be more specific? And I will try to be. I can only say what I see, do you want me to knock on people's homes and say "hi, are you drinking any amount of alcohol tonight?" If I walk down the street to town and back again I will see people in the park and in bus stops drinking things like white lightining (very cheap cider). What more do you want?

You have only seen one side of the story, that's the entire point. I don't care if you have drank a little bit of vodka before or not, you haven't actually experienced anything other than the bad side of alcohol.

I am going to drink on the 1st of november 09 and I am still ignorant! I am doing more than you are in this debate. Instead of just sitting on 1 side I am going to experiance the other side by drinking, what are you going to do?

What the hell do you want us to do? Get violent and aggressive? Drive drunk? We aren't just going to be able to experience something like that and I certainly don't ever want to.

Do you even know what that word means, ignorant? (the irony, if you don't!) incase you don't: it means lacking in knowledge, I have proven I am not ignorant and I am going to take it 1 step further and drink. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT!?

First of all, that isn't what irony is. You also are getting worse by the moment, do you really think we don't know what ignorance is? You're living in it right now. Just because at a future date you are going to go out and drink doesn't mean that you don't lack the knowledge pertaining to alcohol now, which is the part that matters.

Sorry, for going round the word filter but I wasn't calling any body a r.e.t.a.r.d, I was stating that thats what happens to your brain when you drink.

Sigh.

It's impossible to try and explain to someone who doesn't drink or has had a bad experience with alcohol why it's so nice to sit down and have a drink with some friends. Really, it's impossible. No matter how much someone tries to argue you are only going to see the bad, or you're going to think that all of the bad that is associated with alcohol happens a lot more than the good. Of course you don't see it as the pro's outweighing the cons because you're trying to compare it with the worst.

As far as you go, perfectc, you seem to be making some incredibly stupid arguments.

Not only do you not know who his friends are but you don't know their experiences. And yes, I would consider someone to be quite knowledgeable if they took part of the act or consumed it. Your example is stupid because clearly those kids don't actually know what sex is. However I would consider a person who has had sex to probably know a decent bit about how you can get pregnant. It all comes with experience, and in all honesty you're shooting yourself in the foot here because you really haven't experienced alcohol (other than a sip of vodka).

It's more of the fact that just because you think it tastes like crap doesn't mean other people hate it. I dislike the taste of strawberries, but this doesn't mean that anyone who eats them are stupid because they taste bad. And anyways alcohol is a refined taste after a while.

source please. You're just making up [cabbage] now, including this entire iq less than 25 bullcrap which doesn't even have any meaning on this thread. Still you're going into some really stupid territory by saying that anyone who drinks alcohol is going to become mentally retarded.

You have only seen one side of the story, that's the entire point. I don't care if you have drank a little bit of vodka before or not, you haven't actually experienced anything other than the bad side of alcohol.

What the hell do you want us to do? Get violent and aggressive? Drive drunk? We aren't just going to be able to experience something like that and I certainly don't ever want to.

First of all, that isn't what irony is. You also are getting worse by the moment, do you really think we don't know what ignorance is? You're living in it right now. Just because at a future date you are going to go out and drink doesn't mean that you don't lack the knowledge pertaining to alcohol now, which is the part that matters.

Sigh.

:wall: If you had been reading all of my post you will know that I have sat down with friends and had a drink ... on more than one occasion.

Sorry, but just cos you have been drunk a few times does not mean you now everything about alcohol, that is a stupid thing to say. Do people who have smoked 30 or 40 years know every thing about cigarettes? They don't have a clue!

I know the comparison of chilren talking about sex and alcohol is an extremely loose one but that was the point, I am trying in vein to lighten the mood in this aggresive thread.

I have drunk much more than a sip of vodka, let me put it like this I have drunk wnough over the years to get most people drunk.

I am not trying to force my opinion on any body, you don't like strawberries and thats ok, thats all some body had to say to me and it was over but no I say it tastes like crap and people are up in arms like I just shot there cat! I know people have differing tastes, I hate all fish food and alot of people love it ... I can cope with that.

"the genral book of ignorance" by steven fry, it was £5 from HMV! Or go to faber.co.uk it should be there. and http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/idiot .The meaning of idiot.

I have experianced the so called good side, I have been to parties were people were drunk and I have seen people laughing, falling over ... the works.

I want you to get off my back about being ignorant to alcohol when I am clearly not. Granted I know it wasn't you who said it but you asked.

On the flip side of my first small paragraph you don't to experiance something to know about it. I know about alot of things but I hanv't experianced them.

30th post on this thread alone :thumbsup: :D ... pitty I am doing this :wall: at the same time.

perfetc_666.png

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY EVERYONE THINKS YOU'RE BEING IGNORANT.

If I, a drinker, can see that there is a bad side to drinking, then you, a non-drinker, should be able to see that there is a good side to drinking, if only in moderation.

I'll tell you what I'm going to do. I'm going to inform you that I'm not drinking right now, experiencing the other side. In fact most other people replying to your "opinions" (because good god they are not facts) are sober more often than not.

Sorry, but just cos you have been drunk a few times does not mean you now everything about alcohol, that is a stupid thing to say. Do people who have smoked 30 or 40 years know every thing about cigarettes? They don't have a clue!

Nobody claimed to know everything about alcohol. Far from it. But we can assume most of what you're saying is bull[cabbage] because you haven't sourced a single thing. We're not throwing up facts left right and centre, we're saying our opinions on alcohol rather than coming up with crap like "When you drink alcohol it makes your brain grow more slowly" etc.

I have drunk much more than a sip of vodka, let me put it like this I have drunk wnough over the years to get most people drunk.

I used to drink diluted wine as a child. By the age of ten I'd've had at least a bottle over the course of my life. Which is enough to get people drunk. Possibly even two people (lightweights...) So what you said is a bit pointless really.

I am not trying to force my opinion on any body, you don't like strawberries and thats ok, thats all some body had to say to me and it was over but no I say it tastes like crap and people are up in arms like I just shot there cat! I know people have differing tastes, I hate all fish food and alot of people love it ... I can cope with that.

The thing that was being brought up there was that you categorised alcohol as one thing when there are many, many different ways to drink it. There are so many thousands of different cocktails and different types of beer, wine etc that you can't just say "I don't like alcoholic drinks" whereas Nadril not liking strawberries is just not liking one flavour so that's fine. And you disliking fish is fine because of the texture and they tend to taste pretty similar. Unlike alcoholic drinks.

I want you to get off my back about being ignorant to alcohol when I am clearly not.

But you clearly are. My first quote shows that. "There is no other side"

I don't think you even seem to really understand what we're trying to tell you. Also, we can't really understand what you're trying to tell us, because you seem to type your entire trail of thought and then hit submit... Read over what you've put before posting to make sure everything makes sense <.<

Iron_0utkast.png

Maxed 15/06/13

If I, a drinker, can see that there is a bad side to drinking, then you, a non-drinker, should be able to see that there is a good side to drinking, if only in moderation.

I'll tell you what I'm going to do. I'm going to inform you that I'm not drinking right now, experiencing the other side. In fact most other people replying to your "opinions" (because good god they are not facts) are sober more often than not.

Nobody claimed to know everything about alcohol. Far from it. But we can assume most of what you're saying is bull[cabbage] because you haven't sourced a single thing. We're not throwing up facts left right and centre, we're saying our opinions on alcohol rather than coming up with crap like "When you drink alcohol it makes your brain grow more slowly" etc.

I used to drink diluted wine as a child. By the age of ten I'd've had at least a bottle over the course of my life. Which is enough to get people drunk. Possibly even two people (lightweights...) So what you said is a bit pointless really.

The thing that was being brought up there was that you categorised alcohol as one thing when there are many, many different ways to drink it. There are so many thousands of different cocktails and different types of beer, wine etc that you can't just say "I don't like alcoholic drinks" whereas Nadril not liking strawberries is just not liking one flavour so that's fine. And you disliking fish is fine because of the texture and they tend to taste pretty similar. Unlike alcoholic drinks.

I want you to get off my back about being ignorant to alcohol when I am clearly not.

But you clearly are. My first quote shows that. "There is no other side"

I don't think you even seem to really understand what we're trying to tell you. Also, we can't really understand what you're trying to tell us, because you seem to type your entire trail of thought and then hit submit... Read over what you've put before posting to make sure everything makes sense <.<

Which I have admitted to, multiple times.

I am not suggesting that people are drunk 24/7. I mean don't drink for a month or 2 not monday till friday night.

I have sourced alot of things I have said I even named the book, the author, were you can buy the book, a website with the book on and how much it is. Seriously go out and buy/ loan that book, come back and we can talk about it.

I said that cos another person said I had only sipped vodka, which is false.

yeah, there are 1,000's of wines, beers, cocktails etc but of the 1's I have tried i only like 1.

"The other side" is what I discribed, "fun, relaxing etc" I have said that a few times. Infact I have said alot of things a few times, which clearly have been over looked.

Yeah, I have an annoying habit of doing that when I am speaking, typing texting etc. It is just the way I am. Sorry.

Now please read the 1st page of this thread. I have basically said the same things just in a more direct way, some people said:

Smoking or joining the military doesn't make you do stupid things that can harm you or others... :|
Let's face it' date=' in the hands of a responsible person, alcohol is fine. Too bad 95% of the world's population is not responsible.[/quote']. But when I say them I get slated!

perfetc_666.png

Riku and Dizzle weren't stating facts. Well, Dizzle sort of did, but it's not something you can measure so it didn't really count.

Anyway, being a Stephen Fry fan I own said book. What page number?

If I had said that I would have been ripped apart, I said "peoples lives revolved around alochol" then later I said "that was an exaggeration" to which some body posted a comment saying something like "why did you do that it makes you argument look weak!"

It's a good book, isn't it :)

Anyhoo, the page number is 195. Some of the things I have said is in there, others are from tv. ::'

perfetc_666.png

I don't want to make the Independence Day thread go too off topic, so I decided to continue the discussion over here.

It just doesn't make sense. In America, you're allowed to smoke cigarettes and sign up for the army at 18 (both of which can cause you to die), but yet you can't drink?

The Army is amazing, it's my entire life, but its also a government institution, meaning that it is at the mercy of every liberal anti-corporate lobbying group, and every conservative religious nutcase group.

Also, 18 is now becoming more and more meaningless due to the actions of people in older age groups. Pairs Hilton is regularly referred to as a "little girl" or a "child" even though she is 27. The bar is being set higher and higher for adulthood. There are too many man-children and "professional students" in their mid twenties who are still hoplessly dependant on their parents. Many of my friends still live with their parents and complain about this stuff, it's like they want to be an adult but they don't want to pay rent or be away from their parents, it's pretty pathetic.

I am very grateful that my parents threw me out after just giving me a few days to make arrangements when I turned 18. I thought it was cruel at the time, but it has been very beneficial.

Anyway, who cares? Just drink anyway. That law is almost as poorly enforced as no cigarettes before age 18.

Also, 18 is now becoming more and more meaningless due to the actions of people in older age groups. Pairs Hilton is regularly referred to as a "little girl" or a "child" even though she is 27. The bar is being set higher and higher for adulthood. There are too many man-children and "professional students" in their mid twenties who are still hoplessly dependant on their parents. Many of my friends still live with their parents and complain about this stuff, it's like they want to be an adult but they don't want to pay rent or be away from their parents, it's pretty pathetic.

Good point. I just think we should try to combat this by other means instead of labeling entire generations as "immature". For example, instead of setting age restrictions, why not just make it legal but increase the punishment for doing crimes while intoxicated?

Good point. I just think we should try to combat this by other means instead of labeling entire generations as "immature". For example, instead of setting age restrictions, why not just make it legal but increase the punishment for doing crimes while intoxicated?

That might make sense. There would probably be hysterical claims from politicains and lobby groups that it wuld cause some kind of huge crime wave, but I honestly don't know any 18 year old who doesn't drink. I think these age limits are totally ineffective. I am 21 and if I had a 20 year old girl over, and she asked me if I had a beer, what do you think I would say?

"oh, no, sorry, the government says I shouldn't give you one"

it might make drinking more of a causual thing, underage peoople wouldn't need to drink amounts of beer that kill them in drinking games, because drinking would just be a casual thing. Idiots with records could be kept away form it, but the majority could probably handle it.

It would sort of remove the idea that it is an amazing experience.

Is there any more that I need to see? You get drunk "you have a good time, you relax, you enjoy yourself more" blah blah blah I have seen that side of the argument.

I put those points in speach marks cos it is a matter of opinion.

You are a hypocrite since your saying the exact same thing over and over again dispite what I have typed. I could write a story about pigs and you would probably not read it and type "that's biased and ignorant."

You all (as in people who talking to me) seem to spend more time attacking me than trying to argue your side of the debate/discussion/argument (whatever you want to call it).

The only thing I have heard on your side is alcohol helps you have a good time and relaxes you, the rest is spent calling me whatever and about my problems (how biased I am or ignorant blah blah blah).

Think on it!

Were do you get your infomation from about certain things? Go and talk to experts? No, you probably watch tv or read books, both of which I have done, which is why I can say I know what a hang over is, I know how you can drink beer from a bottle, I know that alocohol doesn't kill brain cells and more.

Drinking in moderation maybe good but how many teenagers drink in moderation? Infact how many adults do? I know it's going to be alot less than teenagers but its still going to be alot.

Theres about 6.8 billion people in the world, do you think there are more drinkers than non drinkers? I put money on it only being about 20% of the worlds population are non drinkers.

But you don't really see that side of the argument (you even stated there is no other side - which I pointed out to you). Hell, even your quotation marks make it clear that you don't accept that side (cause "it's a matter of opinion" - whereas what you're saying is "fact" :roll: ).

Well, if we were attacking you, we'd be calling you [developmentally delayed]ed and an idiot (and not [kitty]footing around, either). Some people have...but not everyone. A sweeping generalisation based on a bad experience (much like what you're doing with alcohol).

And in case you missed what I was saying when I said think on it, I'll elaborate; you stated that you always see drunk people doing stupid things, and used that as an argument. I stated that I have never seen what you have described. So...which one of us is right?

When you read those books or watch those TV shows, do you never think that they might have an agenda? I will admit that often they will have facts and "research", but a lot of the time (if they're not an unbiased party) they'll suit the facts to their own needs. I'm not saying that what they're saying is completely wrong and entirely biased, but a lot of the time they don't give you the whole picture. I would also like to know where exactly you're getting your facts from.

It is true that alcohol shrinks the brain [1]. Even being a vegetarian does, apparently (I must remember this for later...)[2]. But according to this, brain shrinkage is a common symptom of ageing and does not cause a loss of cognitive function [3].

Yes, I know that many teenagers do not drink in moderation. Also, that 20% you pulled out of your [wagon] doesn't mean [cabbage]. But I will ask you this; some people abuse it alcohol. Should everyone be disallowed alcohol? Even the responsible drinkers (not a part of what I quoted but I will answer it anyway - I have not drunk alcohol this year except for a shot of rum and a sip of bourbon and coke...in fact, most times I go out I don't drink, which funnily enough is because I hate the taste of most drinks, although Ruski's are quite nice).

There have been deaths attributed to video gaming [4], [5], [6]. Should video games be disallowed because some have abused it?

Likewise, should alcohol be disallowed because some have abused it? Admittedly, alcohol has more to answer for than video games, but I think my point is clear.

The Book of General Ignorance only really says that alcohol doesn't kill brain cells. But yes, a good book indeed. Albeit one not written by Stephen Fry, he only writes the foreword.

And the last two lines of the post above are a good point well made :thumbup:

Iron_0utkast.png

Maxed 15/06/13

The Book of General Ignorance only really says that alcohol doesn't kill brain cells. But yes, a good book indeed. Albeit one not written by Stephen Fry, he only writes the foreword.

And the last two lines of the post above are a good point well made :thumbup:

yeah, I relised that steven didn't write it himself after I posted that I just couldn't be botherd correcting it.

As for the post above yours I am not even going to bother reading all of it cos to be honest I am so bored of this thread, it is as mind numbing as alcohol.

I have said the same things as other people have just in a more harsh (and sometimes confusing way) but I become the target for some reason I get treated differently, oh well.

I have even posted the same things more than twice so I think I am just going round in circles.

The bit of the post I did read was commenting on how I put "fun and relaxing", I did this cos it IS an opinion, I may have not been drunk but I have been tipsy more than once and I got very angry and abusive, which I don't find fun and neither did the people I took it out on. I guess I take after my dad.

If I had been raised in a different enviroment I might be like you all but if I am honest I prefer not to be like you, mainly cos I love dvd's and tattoo's so if I drunk I would have no money for them :D

perfetc_666.png

Ok, well now you're just being a condescending turd.

Not related to your most recent post, but if I read this correctly...

...is in reply to...

And you don't seem to have a problem with it. Apologies if I read incorrectly, but what?

I'm pretty sure plugpoint already said this, but I'll reiterate. Riku and dizzle (I think those are the two users you quoted) weren't being asshats (well, dizzle was but I don't think he pursued it too much). Riku made a legitimate point. All you are doing is throwing out half baked facts as if they are the ultimate truths.

Oh, and when I said alcohol was fun and relaxing, that IS fact. The FACT is that when I drank, I had fun and was very relaxed. Just like it is a fact that when you drank you became violent and aggressive. The two aren't mutually exclusive, and acting like your experiences are the only valid ones makes you an asshat.

A closing thought; you have proven to yourself that alcohol can be drunk in moderation (you've never been smashed - only tipsy). Why are you acting as if everyone but yourself is too irresponsible to handle alcohol?

Oh, and House is a drug addict, by the way ;)

Ok, well now you're just being a condescending turd.

Not related to your most recent post, but if I read this correctly...

...is in reply to...

And you don't seem to have a problem with it. Apologies if I read incorrectly, but what?

I'm pretty sure plugpoint already said this, but I'll reiterate. Riku and dizzle (I think those are the two users you quoted) weren't being asshats (well, dizzle was but I don't think he pursued it too much). Riku made a legitimate point. All you are doing is throwing out half baked facts as if they are the ultimate truths.

Oh, and when I said alcohol was fun and relaxing, that IS fact. The FACT is that when I drank, I had fun and was very relaxed. Just like it is a fact that when you drank you became violent and aggressive. The two aren't mutually exclusive, and acting like your experiences are the only valid ones makes you an asshat.

A closing thought; you have proven to yourself that alcohol can be drunk in moderation (you've never been smashed - only tipsy). Why are you acting as if everyone but yourself is too irresponsible to handle alcohol?

Oh, and House is a drug addict, by the way ;)

In short, sthu.

In long, shut the hell up. :D

Lets me wrap this up.

The fact is I don't care, I don't care about you or any body else in this forum, I don't care if you drink till you need your stomach pumped or you stop at 1 pint but most of all I don't care what you think of me.

I don't think my views are the only ones that count but all of you obviously do since your so eager to force your opinions on me which IS what your doing by constantly quoting me.

"dizzle (I think those are the two users you quoted) weren't being asshats (well, dizzle was but I don't think he pursued it too much)" cos no body was badgering him for more than 30 posts!

I could have made that same argument and the same thing would have happend to me as what has happend cos I put it a different way or whatever.

I know people can handle alcohol but most they choose not to.

As far as I am concerned fact means true in every case no matter what, like it is a fact there is never 24 hours in a day! To say "when I said alcohol was fun and relaxing, that IS fact" Is stupid, since you go on to say "like it is a fact that when you drank you became violent and aggressive"

God this argument is so boring, I keep saying the same thing yet no body actually listens, they just pick out the bits were I mention the bad side of alcohol and use them against me ... dispite me saying many, MANY times I understand some people can use alcohol responsibly, people use it to relax and have fun etc etc etc.

I have watched season 1-4 of house over 5 times, I know he is a drug addict. -.-

To clarify. I understand why some people drink alcohol and some people can drink it responsibly, although most choose not to. Personaly, I think it's a waste of money and a little sad that you can't have fun without alcohol. There is also no getting away from the fact that increases your chances of being hurt. If you think them risks are worth it to have fun and/or relax by all means drink till you drop but I won't be joining you.

perfetc_666.png

Ok, that's great. It's obvious that you're failing to back up your arguments, and you've realised that, and now your just being an [wagon] in hopes of covering up said fact.

We're not forcing our opinions on you. We're telling you why we think you're wrong. You are refusing to acknowledge this fact and becoming over defensive in an attempt to divert attention from your shabby arguments.

As for the dizzle thing...people did answer to him. He did have to defend himself. But he hasn't posted in a few pages, so nobody has replied to him...do you understand now? Oh, and the reason we're constantly quoting you is not to force our opinions on you, it's to debate. But hey, I realise that when you're on a sinking ship you gotta grab onto anything that even looks like it might float.

Look, are you being intentionally dense? I hate to accuse people of trolling because it's become a cliche, but you're really cutting it fine, buddy. It is a FACT that I had a positive experience whilst under the influence of alcohol. It is also a FACT that when you had alcohol you became violent and aggressive. You have used your experience for your argument; I have used mine. In doing so, I have invalidated your argument by showing that it is not universal.

It's hard to read tone and whatnot over the internet, but from the way you've been writing, it's hard for people reading your posts (from what I've seen at any rate) to read it as anything other than you saying "alcohol is bad and should be outlawed" (please don't jump on that, because I am not saying you said that, I'm merely trying to get a point across). Hell, when you said "fun and relaxing" it was clear that you were skeptical at best, and very likely more than skeptical.

No, what we are trying to do is point out where you are wrong - you present half baked arguments with little factual basis, and pass them off as ultimate truth.

We are not saying we cannot have fun without alcohol (incidentally, it's [cabbage] like that that makes you a target). It's true that alcohol increases your risk of getting hurt - but so does playing RuneScape. So does sport. In fact, a lot of stuff people do for fun increases the risk of getting hurt (and not just to themselves - sport has incited riots before).

Just think of it this way - RuneScape is to you as alcohol is to us. You play RuneScape for fun - we drink alcohol for fun. You've even paid for members, I note; should you be looked down upon because I can't understand why you'd want to waste your money on that game? Hell, you might even be addicted to it for all I know (I haven't drunk alcohol in a couple of months - can you quit RuneScape for a couple of months?).

Oh, and I find it amusing that you model your personality after a drug addict.

Because the government is stupid. They want you to start controlling your life at 18 and yet they try to protect you from yourself even when you turn 18, like what the hell? :thumbup: Smart thinkin'! Alcohol is really easy to use, rather hard to die from (if you look at other drugs, which is illegal) and anyone at the age 18 should be allowed to use it.

It is a FACT that I had a positive experience whilst under the influence of alcohol.

This is very true, many of my memories with friends has been under the influence, doesn't mean I can't have fun without it all it means is that I have more fun when I am.

It is also a FACT that when you had alcohol you became violent and aggressive.

That I'd like to disagree with, everytime I drink I become soft and like to hug( :oops: ) people...can't say I get aggressive as I never had a fight and I've been drinking for 6-7 years. I've had disputes, yes that happens to everyone but not a fight. I don't understand how it is a "fact" because you and 5 other friends use alcohol to fight other people. I don't think you mean violent and aggressive, more like reckless and not thinking at all.

Wexexx.png

Wexexx.png

Ok, that's great. It's obvious that you're failing to back up your arguments, and you've realised that, and now your just being an [wagon] in hopes of covering up said fact.

We're not forcing our opinions on you. We're telling you why we think you're wrong. You are refusing to acknowledge this fact and becoming over defensive in an attempt to divert attention from your shabby arguments.

As for the dizzle thing...people did answer to him. He did have to defend himself. But he hasn't posted in a few pages, so nobody has replied to him...do you understand now? Oh, and the reason we're constantly quoting you is not to force our opinions on you, it's to debate. But hey, I realise that when you're on a sinking ship you gotta grab onto anything that even looks like it might float.

Look, are you being intentionally dense? I hate to accuse people of trolling because it's become a cliche, but you're really cutting it fine, buddy. It is a FACT that I had a positive experience whilst under the influence of alcohol. It is also a FACT that when you had alcohol you became violent and aggressive. You have used your experience for your argument; I have used mine. In doing so, I have invalidated your argument by showing that it is not universal.

It's hard to read tone and whatnot over the internet, but from the way you've been writing, it's hard for people reading your posts (from what I've seen at any rate) to read it as anything other than you saying "alcohol is bad and should be outlawed" (please don't jump on that, because I am not saying you said that, I'm merely trying to get a point across). Hell, when you said "fun and relaxing" it was clear that you were skeptical at best, and very likely more than skeptical.

No, what we are trying to do is point out where you are wrong - you present half baked arguments with little factual basis, and pass them off as ultimate truth.

We are not saying we cannot have fun without alcohol (incidentally, it's [cabbage] like that that makes you a target). It's true that alcohol increases your risk of getting hurt - but so does playing RuneScape. So does sport. In fact, a lot of stuff people do for fun increases the risk of getting hurt (and not just to themselves - sport has incited riots before).

Just think of it this way - RuneScape is to you as alcohol is to us. You play RuneScape for fun - we drink alcohol for fun. You've even paid for members, I note; should you be looked down upon because I can't understand why you'd want to waste your money on that game? Hell, you might even be addicted to it for all I know (I haven't drunk alcohol in a couple of months - can you quit RuneScape for a couple of months?).

Oh, and I find it amusing that you model your personality after a drug addict.

LMFAO! :lol:

It is true, no matter what I say I am wrong in your opinion. I have my own point of view and I am wrong, I share your point of view I am wrong, I say I don't care and I am wrong. :lol:

I have defended my points of view for over 30 posts! You seem to not relise that.

I figure after being resonable for over 30 posts and taking alot of flack for it, I am going to take some advice that some body posted to me on this very thread, offence is the best defence. So here goes :D

By telling me how you THINK I am wrong (your words not mine) you are forcing them on me, In the beginning it was a debate but the more it goes on the more your trying to get me to be like you, which I can't do ... unless of course I resort to drink copious amounts of alcohol.

your calling me dense yet you don't know what a fact is. Fact is a universal truth, if very single person who drunk alcohol had "gay old time" then it would be fact but that isn't the case. The fact is people have differing reactions to it, some do have a "gay old time", some are like me, some even go really mellow. get it now?

If people could have fun and relax there would be no need for it, the same goes for smoking.

I am skeptical, why? All I have experianced is the bad side but if people say that then thats up to them.

"No, what we are trying to do is point out where you are wrong - you present half baked arguments with little factual basis, and pass them off as ultimate truth." copy and paste ftw! yeah you said that in your last go at me aswell. Just because you don't know it doesn't mean it is wrong, I could list about 50 things you wouldn't know does that mean there wrong aswell? If so how do you learn anything? Or don't you learn anything except through experiance?

There is a differance between an accident when your sobre and an accident when yor drunk.(I don't think I need to say more than that on that point, its pretty obvious tbh)

I LOVE this paragraph, it starts out making assumptions about me then goes to comparing alcohol to runescape and carries on to say I should be looked down upon and follows that up with I am an addict! :lol: Its so awesome that amount of stupidity can be cramped into a single post!!

While playing runescape I have never been in a fight, thrown up, danced like a tool, fell over, talked bollocks or anything else that you do when your drunk (stereotypicaly of course).

You do relise you have just insulted most of the people in this form by saying members should be looked down upon. =D>

I am far from addicted to it (I know I can prove this but) I played every saturday for 5 hours then quit for about 4 years I recently came back and I am allowed to play 6 hours a day (due to me being on mobile internet) atm I have over 30 hours saved up and last month I never used over 40 hours mainly cos it gets a bit boring. just look at my stats in my sig do they look impressive to you? NOPE!

I don't model myself after a drug addict, I was like this way before I even watched house for the first time.

You had the nerve to call me dense after typing out that paragraph! =D>

I bet after turning the insults table around some body will report me for it :roll:

To the person who posted above me I am the one who gets violent and aggresive, I unfortunatly take after my dad (who I wish would die soon, I might get something useful from him then!)

perfetc_666.png