Tip.It Times: 12 July 2009 - Addressing the Anti-Hack Key

n_odie

Now I'm not saying they were the FIRST people, but I'm saying that Jagex took it from FFXI. I love Runescape, but I'm just bringing this to people's attention.

They didn't take the idea from anybody. They are starting to become pretty standard for any company who has employees using computers networks with sensitive information. It is interesting that it's starting to be pushed on to customers now though. I wonder how many security keys I'm going to be carrying around with me 5 years from now.

Do I need to start saving for my Tip.It key?

rssig2.png

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play may different MMORPG's, one of them being Final Fantasy XI: Online by Square Enix.

I was honestly very excited to see Jagex realeasing these, because i currently have one for my FFXI account.

There are A LOT of misconceptions and assumptions as to how they will work. I don't know how Jagex's will operate for sure,

but I can explain how the others work, and assume that they will be similar.

First off, upon logging in, you will most likely need BOTH: Your RuneScape password & The digit-code generated by your token.

If lost, it is possible, using your recovery questions, you will be able to deactivate it from your account. In the case of Square Enix, you must call their service and provide them with the account creation details to have it removed.

The essential idea of this is so similar to that of FFXI even to the point that, in FFXI, it doubles your inventory.

On RuneScape, you gain extra storage, but in the form of bank slots.

Seeing as these are NOT mandatory, there is almost no downside. Everyone is claiming that "They're trying to sell bankspace." This couldn't be more wrong. They added the bank space, as an INCENTIVE for players who choose to secure their accounts! Jagex would LOVE to see an end to the majority of comprimised accounts.

Although the idea wasn't originally theirs, that doesn't make them any less important. With this token, it is virtually impossible to be hacked.

GetAttachment.aspx&hm__qs=file%3da88824d7-f6c5-4754-9448-e0fbbc349266.jpg%26ct%3daW1hZ2UvanBlZw_3d_3d%26name%3dMDctMTMtMDlfMTYwMi5qcGc_3d%26inline%3d1%26rfc%3d0%26empty%3dFalse%26imgsrc%3dcid%253amedia1.jpg&oneredir=1&ip=10.12.128.8&d=d3934&mf=20&a=01_0b590aaade5e800af268d347750ab151eca93264be20cd9ce2166e583b18cfe9

This is a picture of mine. It's a very simple device. The only difference thus far, is that is 100% wireless and the signal is sent via satellite.

Jagex's will require a USB input to acquire the code from the internet.

14cseg4.gif

Draw what you see, not what you think-you-see. --Carl Purcell

Let me clarify something about these devices that the author seemed to misunderstand. They are not USB keys that have to be inserted into the computer. They are similar to USB keys in their size and shape, but have a small LCD screen with a random string of digits that changes periodically. You do not need a computer with a USB port for this device to function properly.

As for the security issue, the whole thing is optional. Don't bother with one if you are too irresponsible to keep it safe. You don't HAVE to put it on your key ring. I cant speak for anyone else but I have quite a bit of accumulated value on my account that I'd really rather not lose, as well as some nostalgic items from RSC. If I can make my account more secure by using this new key I'm going to do it.

The entire bank space issue seems moot to me. As of now there is really plenty of bank space unless you are a junk collector. Why should anyone care either way whether theres more of it or not? Don't forget that free players were allowed to vote in this poll and we have no idea how many of them voted for the option that included more bank space.

*EDIT* These keys have been around at least since 2000, that was when someone showed me one for the first time. He used his as the login for the computers at a radio station. They were not invented for the sole purpose of playing final fantasy.

First up, I have to say that aside from this sentence: "This is a game that, whether you like it or not, is mostly played by children the ages of 10-18, most of whom go to public schools and who probably encounter other RuneScape players daily." I thought this was a very strong week of articles. Very sorry to point out to the author that the public school generalisation is ridiculously wide of the mark, but that's just because I'm pedantic! :P

[hide=]I don't like the Anti-Hack. It seems that the author missed the point with this one.

Yes, we know that offering bank space is a bribe, but consider that no matter what you do, people won't take in better security until a) their valuables are compromised, or B) they are offered something in exchange. The only way that Jagex could roll this much needed security booster was to offer bank space.

Second, the editor makes an erroneous comparison to Blizzard and Jagex's tech support. Do you want to know what the difference is between the two? Blizzard has six times the amount of staff that Jagex does, so yes, they can afford to flip through whatever logs those characters have and give back the items. Jagex can't. Even if they wanted to, the amount of work required to do that for half of their staff would be immense.

Lastly, yes the reason to hack another player has been reduced to nothing more than to be a jerk, but that doesn't stop me from wanting better security. Security is a good thing to have; even if you may see it as unneeded, the possibility exists for your account to be compromised, and and you should have some way to keep that air-tight secure. Passwords and PINs are only as strong as the person that types them in, and if they use their favorite something-or-other, or some other socially engineerable password, then it's not strong at all.

[/hide]

I think Makoto, that you missed the point of the first article. The point being made is that the security tag is an entirely unnecessary device for the purposes of players, and thus is a shameful attempt at boosting profits. I, and the author alike, would argue that this "much needed security booster" is in fact an entirely pointless concept given the existing safeguards that exist.

As for Jagex being unable to afford more staff, have you ever stopped to think about the fact that Jagex is a multimillion pound corporation? Sure, they may not be as big as Blizzard, but they can damn well afford to improve upon their abysmal customer service with the profits they turn over.

The author was fully aware of the fact that "security is a good thing to have", but what good is it to protect an account which at most has cost around £200-300 of physical wealth, if you're too stupid to protect the computer it runs on, which undoubtedly costs considerably more... Hence investing in good antivirus and anti-spyware software solves any security issues excepting a very determined hacker, and prevents your computer being messed up.

If, as you rightly point out, "Passwords and PINs are only as strong as the person that types them in, and if they use their favorite something-or-other, or some other socially engineerable password, then it's not strong at all." then if you get hacked it's your own damned fault for being such a berk. Jagex should not and does not need to panda to the ridiculous demands of a player core who are too lazy to take care of their own security issues. Offering an in-game incentive as a reward for investing in this entirely useless piece of hardware is shamefaced profiteering and wholly unnecessary. When will Jagex stop pissing around with our money and get working on some GOOD QUALITY updates for the actual game I wonder...?

...hence, the incentive. We all know that people just won't do what's good for them, not even if their lives depended on it. Giving them some extra bank space as part of the deal would get everyone interested, so it isn't just the well-informed that have the key (which is actually very good security) and some bank space to boot.

But if the key is really that important to security, then why not just make it mandatory for all? I imagine that would be a much tougher sale to force everybody to buy one for their own accounts. I own 4 accounts; I certainly wouldn't be buying 4 different keys for each one. They would risk ending up losing members if it was mandatory, which is not their goal. I know I'd probably quit playing.

Here I believe you've refuted your own point. It would be a much, much harder sell to everyone if they decided to make it mandatory. If it's an option, then people will still consider it.

The bank space is a marketing ploy. It's to get enough people interested in buying the key, not so more people will be safe, but so Jagex can minimize any losses, or even come out ahead. They are going to need enough people willing to buy the key to make it worth their while, not ours.

It's the cookie versus cattle-prod ideology at work here; what's going to get more people interested in keeping their account secure - a 750 word essay about it, or extra bank space?

Is it a horrible thing they are trying to do with the key? No, I don't think so. Personally, I'm not interested in it, but if others are that's great. I don't like the idea of an in-game incentive though. Why not give them something off the Jagex store, or a month's free membership instead.

A few quotes from Andrew's recent response would suffice to answer that question:

The problem is just LOOK at the poll. People won't buy the key without the incentive, so we'd probably have to drop the key idea entirely.

Giving up on the keys, and therefore letting lots of people lose their accounts who wouldn't otherwise will NOT make everyone happy.

...surely a free player (who mistakenly thought they didn't need to be any more secure, and so ignored the actual security aspect) if they just wanted membership would be more likely to spend $5 for a month, than $10 for a week.

I think Makoto, that you missed the point of the first article. The point being made is that the security tag is an entirely unnecessary device for the purposes of players, and thus is a shameful attempt at boosting profits. I, and the author alike, would argue that this "much needed security booster" is in fact an entirely pointless concept given the existing safeguards that exist.

To begin with, CatherbyCrumudgeon makes no attempt at proof that this device would turn a profit. Andrew has admitted that they won't make a profit. Mod MMG confirmed that they would be looking at a loss if they rolled this out. Where are you getting this "shameful attempt at boosting profits" theory from? I'd very much like to know.

As for Jagex being unable to afford more staff, have you ever stopped to think about the fact that Jagex is a multimillion pound corporation? Sure, they may not be as big as Blizzard, but they can damn well afford to improve upon their abysmal customer service with the profits they turn over.

Yes, it occurred to me. It occurred to me that Jagex makes millions of dollars every year. But it also occurred to me that not only does Blizzard make billions every year, they also have six times more staff.

The only way they could have better Customer Support is if they stopped rolling updates out altogether. Know what happens to profit? It would tank instantly due to stagnant content.

The author was fully aware of the fact that "security is a good thing to have", but what good is it to protect an account which at most has cost around £200-300 of physical wealth, if you're too stupid to protect the computer it runs on, which undoubtedly costs considerably more... Hence investing in good antivirus and anti-spyware software solves any security issues excepting a very determined hacker, and prevents your computer being messed up.

You're dead wrong. Investing in good antivirus and anti-spyware prevent the most common and easily detectable types of attacks. I'll leave this as a research assignment to you, but a social engineer could very, very easily get account credentials - and they don't even have to have a piece of malware to do it. Also, most computers don't have up-to-date security, even in major firms or places where it would make the most sense - that's about typical. I agree that people should secure their machines, but failing that, what's wrong with securing their RS account?

If, as you rightly point out, "Passwords and PINs are only as strong as the person that types them in, and if they use their favorite something-or-other, or some other socially engineerable password, then it's not strong at all." then if you get hacked it's your own damned fault for being such a berk. Jagex should not and does not need to panda to the ridiculous demands of a player core who are too lazy to take care of their own security issues. Offering an in-game incentive as a reward for investing in this entirely useless piece of hardware is shamefaced profiteering and wholly unnecessary. When will Jagex stop pissing around with our money and get working on some GOOD QUALITY updates for the actual game I wonder...?

Oh yes, blame the victim. That's really good. :roll: Also, it's not that one's account is made rock-solid by having a maximum-length password with numbers and letters, or a four-digit PIN that is nearly unguessable, but it's adding as many difficult-to-compromise access methods to it. On a machine, the three ways that access/information is protected is by something you know, something you have, or something you are. If you already know the password/PIN to another person's account, you have no other way to protect your data; doesn't matter how it came into their knowledge. But, if you don't have their security dongle/device, then you can't get into their account, period. Again, neither you nor the author do anything to prove that this is profiteering; do you assume that these devices are cheap? Because they aren't.

I also thought it was worth pointing out that once you gave them your cash, it was no longer your cash. You no longer have the right to tell them what they can do with their cash. You only have the right to stop giving them cash, and that's as far as it goes.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I thought the first article was spot on, I was nodding the whole way through reading it. Definitely the best article I've seen in awhile.

The second article was biased. Of course Master_Smither is going to say inflation isn't that bad as he contributes quite a bit to it. Him tricking (dds deathmatch) brings in an awful lot of high value artifacts. And I won't take the "I'm doing it for brawlers" excuse anymore. Inflation is bad. Players can penalized for not playing. They need to play to keep up their cash pile's worth. You should not lose money for not playing.

[hide=Makoto]

...hence, the incentive. We all know that people just won't do what's good for them, not even if their lives depended on it. Giving them some extra bank space as part of the deal would get everyone interested, so it isn't just the well-informed that have the key (which is actually very good security) and some bank space to boot.

But if the key is really that important to security, then why not just make it mandatory for all? I imagine that would be a much tougher sale to force everybody to buy one for their own accounts. I own 4 accounts; I certainly wouldn't be buying 4 different keys for each one. They would risk ending up losing members if it was mandatory, which is not their goal. I know I'd probably quit playing.

Here I believe you've refuted your own point. It would be a much, much harder sell to everyone if they decided to make it mandatory. If it's an option, then people will still consider it.

[/hide]

Actually, that was my point. :lol: But if it is that important to security, and their motives are altruistic as they seem to be saying, well there is no sell then. They should do what's necessary, and I'll go find something else to waste my time on.

But they won't make them mandatory. I see that as a sign they're not as important as you think. It's like selling extended warranties. I don't have a problem against the keys. My problem is attaching something that everybody seems to want to it. Like Andrew has implied, nobody is interested without the bank space. I read that as people are more interested in buying bank space. If they can't sell the key on its own merit, then maybe it isn't worth it, at least at this time.

rssig2.png

I thought the first article was spot on, I was nodding the whole way through reading it. Definitely the best article I've seen in awhile.

The second article was biased. Of course Master_Smither is going to say inflation isn't that bad as he contributes quite a bit to it. Him tricking (dds deathmatch) brings in an awful lot of high value artifacts. And I won't take the "I'm doing it for brawlers" excuse anymore. Inflation is bad. Players can penalized for not playing. They need to play to keep up their cash pile's worth. You should not lose money for not playing.

I never once said it isn't bad I stated it wasn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be. I also gave solid facts to support my argument. No players shouldn't be punished for holding large sums of cash, but they should be prepared for economic changes that can arise in an economy going through a lot of changes (i.e ge, pvp removal, and pvp's comeback). If you can give solid information about why inflation is as bad as you make it sound then I welcome it. Inflation is not ruining Runescape, it is merly raising prices and if your mining something like coal you will not be harmed as your logs are rising too. As I said in my article(which it looks to me like you didn't read very well) the only people hurt are people with large sums of stangant cash who are mainly price manipulators and merchants. You may not be able to buy as much of the item but considering the price is higher it will rise more per GE update than it used to. Infact this may even be better and more profit for them. If you can give some counter arguments of why inflation is ruining Runescape's economy then please do so as I enjoy a course of rhetoric every so often.

On a side note, I do trick for brawlers as they make training skills like hunter and agility much easier. The money is nice but if I got brawlers every kill instead of statues I would not care. Many of my friends and people in Panic Patrol know this.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

[hide=Makoto]

[/hide]

Actually, that was my point. :lol: But if it is that important to security, and their motives are altruistic as they seem to be saying, well there is no sell then. They should do what's necessary, and I'll go find something else to waste my time on.

But they won't make them mandatory. I see that as a sign they're not as important as you think. It's like selling extended warranties. I don't have a problem against the keys. My problem is attaching something that everybody seems to want to it. Like Andrew has implied, nobody is interested without the bank space. I read that as people are more interested in buying bank space. If they can't sell the key on its own merit, then maybe it isn't worth it, at least at this time.

But we both know and realize that the only way to get people to buy the key in the first place would be if it came with that incentive. There's really no getting around that, and it's not based on necessity - it's the fact that the reward looks better than the benefits. They don't have any real reason to make them mandatory, but they do have a reason to offer them, of course, but that's stating rhetoric.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg

But we both know and realize that the only way to get people to buy the key in the first place would be if it came with that incentive.

Yes, I agree.

There's really no getting around that, and it's not based on necessity - it's the fact that the reward looks better than the benefits.

I agree.

They don't have any real reason to make them mandatory,

I agree.

but they do have a reason to offer them, of course, but that's stating rhetoric.

I think we're in agreement here. I don't care if they choose to sell the key as optional. I do have a bit of a problem with offering incentives for it, and if they won't get anybody to buy the keys without in-game incentives then maybe it's not worth their time to do it.

I am glad that Jagex decided to pitch the idea and see what feedback they would have first. They could've just gone forward with the plan and surprise us one day. That is definitely one thing that is different, and I'm happy they are willing to open a debate and answer people's questions first. That was a smart move.

rssig2.png

Blizzard also offers this. The bank space is not a good reason to get the usb key. If your too lazy to keep your usb key next to your pc at home and look at it to type in your pass... Then you have no real reason to be playing imo. If you play somewhere else, go out and get a job and get a pc to play at home, if your 13 mow some lawns save up money and get a pc. If you play this at work, then your not working and are therefore useless to your company. I made that point due to people saying they dont want to have to remember the USB device... If you simply keep it on your pc desk you'll never lose it in theory.

This USB Device is for those of us who want Extra security for our accounts. My account on runescape is 8 years old and has never been hacked or scammed...

That right there is reason for most to not get a USB key gen. BUT to me its even more reason to get one. Added security is needed in this day in age. I'll use FUNCOM as an example. i played age of conan for like 2 months but i used my debit card. Their system shows your credit card number in your account settings. My account was hijacked and they stole my debit card number and spent like 600$. IF funcom had the usb keygen that never would of happened.

dvs_skater.gif

the day they come out with these security keys is the day i quit especially if you have to pay extra $$ for them this game wont be worth it i dont care for extra bank space since i throw away anything i dont use and ive been hacked once before only because i let friend play my account and this was way before this BS trade rape so i say No to security keys ftl

phixcire.png

D.Drops=Skirt9 Med9 Spear2 Visage2 Legs6 boots35 shield half1 whip15 dbow5

phixcire.png

phixcire.png

I never once said it isn't bad I stated it wasn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be. I also gave solid facts to support my argument. No players shouldn't be punished for holding large sums of cash, but they should be prepared for economic changes that can arise in an economy going through a lot of changes (i.e ge, pvp removal, and pvp's comeback). If you can give solid information about why inflation is as bad as you make it sound then I welcome it. Inflation is not ruining Runescape, it is merly raising prices and if your mining something like coal you will not be harmed as your logs are rising too. As I said in my article(which it looks to me like you didn't read very well) the only people hurt are people with large sums of stangant cash who are mainly price manipulators and merchants. You may not be able to buy as much of the item but considering the price is higher it will rise more per GE update than it used to. Infact this may even be better and more profit for them. If you can give some counter arguments of why inflation is ruining Runescape's economy then please do so as I enjoy a course of rhetoric every so often.

My counter argument is simple. Monster drops, especially static drops such as coins, will severely decrease in value. Seeing as these are some creatures' featured drop, this could be quite a problem, and lead to less people hunting them. Also, as previously mentioned, it will be less profitable to alch, but it's always been that way...

Goldflame.png

-Inflation post-

I agree that everything has gone up in prices in the past few weeks. I wholeheartly agree it is the 26k trick that is behind most of it. (Not all though) Let me explain. This trick has been around for quite some time, and I believe was on a small scale up to about a month ago. Why? School is out. Notice that at any given time like 130k+ plus are playing? Few months ago I didn't see more than 80k or so playing on average. Before the break it was mainly high-levelers tricking for easy cash to train said skills. Now it seems it has caught on like wild fire. Go to any GE and you will see so-called "pkers" standing around alching etc. Greedy little level 50's with 40-50m in their pockets snorting with glee at how good they are at pking. Hogwosh. Most kill a friend or 2 over and over again, while being protected by a clan or group of friends on a pvp world. (Many have admitted this to me, and you can just go to most pvp worlds and witness this.) It's a shame really, and I think Jagex should fix this problem immediately. That is not pking in the least bit. That is borderline bug abuse if you ask me, and the majority I know say the same. Getting more drop value than risked value just seems lame, and is really unfair to the other aspects of the game. Yes skillers' items may be going up due to this fact, but is it truly fair and balanced? Why spend months raising a skill to make money, when one can go trick for a few weeks and get 100m? Lame. I pray they fix this sooner than later. Before I get hammered, I am not saying all pkers do this, and that all the school kids that are on break are doing this. Some inflation may be do to them wanting to buy and train their own skills as well, causing more demand in the end. But, at this current time, I believe this tricking is the main villian in my opinion.

*Let the flaming begin*

99 Fletch/Cook/Farm

{Started- 11/06}

My counter argument is simple. Monster drops, especially static drops such as coins, will severely decrease in value. Seeing as these are some creatures' featured drop, this could be quite a problem, and lead to less people hunting them. Also, as previously mentioned, it will be less profitable to alch, but it's always been that way...

Not many monsters are hunted soley for their coin drops. Infact the highest coin drop by a monster is around 20K from a GWD boss. Now if your talking about coinshare drops then with the prices of those items rising it balances out with their gp being worth less.

-Inflation post-

I agree that everything has gone up in prices in the past few weeks. I wholeheartly agree it is the 26k trick that is behind most of it. (Not all though) Let me explain. This trick has been around for quite some time, and I believe was on a small scale up to about a month ago. Why? School is out. Notice that at any given time like 130k+ plus are playing? Few months ago I didn't see more than 80k or so playing on average. Before the break it was mainly high-levelers tricking for easy cash to train said skills. Now it seems it has caught on like wild fire. Go to any GE and you will see so-called "pkers" standing around alching etc. Greedy little level 50's with 40-50m in their pockets snorting with glee at how good they are at pking. Hogwosh. Most kill a friend or 2 over and over again, while being protected by a clan or group of friends on a pvp world. (Many have admitted this to me, and you can just go to most pvp worlds and witness this.) It's a shame really, and I think Jagex should fix this problem immediately. That is not pking in the least bit. That is borderline bug abuse if you ask me, and the majority I know say the same. Getting more drop value than risked value just seems lame, and is really unfair to the other aspects of the game. Yes skillers' items may be going up due to this fact, but is it truly fair and balanced? Why spend months raising a skill to make money, when one can go trick for a few weeks and get 100m? Lame. I pray they fix this sooner than later. I am not saying all pkers do this, and that all the school kids that are on break are doing this, some inflation may be do to they wanting to buy and train their own skills as well, causing more demand in the end. But, this tricking is the main villian in my opinion.

*Let the flaming begin*

The reason 26king boomed is due to the introduction of statues which made pvp trick a steady 1m+/hr for most high level players. Sure summer helped increase 26kers but before statues it was around 500k/hr and that was if you got lucky.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

I think we're in agreement here. I don't care if they choose to sell the key as optional. I do have a bit of a problem with offering incentives for it, and if they won't get anybody to buy the keys without in-game incentives then maybe it's not worth their time to do it.

I'm glad that we agree in principle, but offering the key is probably one of the best ideas to circumvent hacking/account stealing they've come up with; it'd be definitely worth their time to do so.

I am glad that Jagex decided to pitch the idea and see what feedback they would have first. They could've just gone forward with the plan and surprise us one day. That is definitely one thing that is different, and I'm happy they are willing to open a debate and answer people's questions first. That was a smart move.

I agree with that - test the waters before jumping in the ocean, that's what I say.

the day they come out with these security keys is the day i quit especially if you have to pay extra $$ for them this game wont be worth it i dont care for extra bank space since i throw away anything i dont use and ive been hacked once before only because i let friend play my account and this was way before this BS trade rape so i say No to security keys ftl

And here's the ironic part: You (and others like you) would benefit the most from having this security key.

This USB Device is for those of us who want Extra security for our accounts. My account on runescape is 8 years old and has never been hacked or scammed...

That right there is reason for most to not get a USB key gen. BUT to me its even more reason to get one.

That right there is the fallacy of most players. "I've never been hacked in so many years, so I don't need it." It might be that your password has been good for eight years, but all it takes is one mistake to destroy all of that.

s1L0U.jpg

Master_smither wrote:

"The reason 26king boomed is due to the introduction of statues which made pvp trick a steady 1m+/hr for most high level players. Sure summer helped increase 26kers but before statues it was around 500k/hr and that was if you got lucky."

500k-1m an hour regardless is really unfair. Not too many skills that I know of, that a person can make that amount on a regular basis at any combat level. Currently with the trick, any level "so called" pker, can make huge amounts with little fear if done right. I understand your point though. Let's agree to atleast say that the trick is unfair and should be removed from the game, or atleast modified in a way that is more balanced to money gained vs. worn/lost?

99 Fletch/Cook/Farm

{Started- 11/06}

"The reason 26king boomed is due to the introduction of statues which made pvp trick a steady 1m+/hr for most high level players. Sure summer helped increase 26kers but before statues it was around 500k/hr and that was if you got lucky."

Steady 1 mill/hr for SOME people.

People of average level would probably only get 100-250k an hour.

O.O

Steady 1 mill/hr for SOME people.

People of average level would probably only get 100-250k an hour.

When I was 26king, I made about 350k an hour with 0% EP. Level 119 + 10 if it makes a difference.

I enjoyed reading Master_Smither's article. Perhaps not as much imagery to entice readers, but it got the point across clearly. The other articles I had little interest in and the conclusion did not captivate me as much.

In response to the first article, The Anti-Hack Bribe.

If Jagex wanted us to be secure, why not offer us a customer support line to call if we fear we have been hacked, or even do what my work PC forces me to do, and make me create a password that meets certain requirements in length, characters, alpha-numerics, symbol inclusions and more.
In market that Jagex is in, it's impractical to hire dedicated customer service representatives. This impracticality is further added upon by the age group Jagex is catering to. If this idea is going to be brought up, other arguments need to be presented to support it.

Sell me bank space, just dont do it as a bonus for a product that will make the game more inconvenient and feel more like work than it already does, when Im doing the work of leveling and grinding.
I do not like this idea. The only reason they are offering bank space is to entice users into a more secure account. There is a clear difference between bank space and items within the game.

WoW does, and, on top of that, they also have a support line; and, in my view, better customer service. And you know what? Blizzard can restore gold and items, a service that RuneScape is either unable or unwilling to do.
This is perhaps, in my opinion, the pinnacle of the article's point. Many other points brought up seem to rely on inferred material.
hopesolopatriot.jpg