Clans- Are they good or are they bad?

KevinsLunchbox

My views of clans.

I used to be a happy go lucky Runescaper just out there to do whatever I wished, but in the 6 years of Runescape I played, In f2p I was only lvl 95 and failed to actually learn anything. I joined a clan and in the few months I have been a part of it I am now lvl 100 f2p and my skills have gotten better. I used to average 5 combat levels a year (lol yikes) and but I've gained 5 combat levels this year and still going.

I have talked to other people and some would say clans are lame and useless, and others have said that a clan is a good way to get friends, learn some fighting tactics, and other people have never experienced being in a clan before.

So now this is where you guys come in. I obviously like clans, but what do you guys think? Are clans good or are they bad?

My clan is the thing that makes me play runescape, I've been a bit inactive latley all I've been doing is just logging on for wars basically. I don't find anything fun in runescape anymore apart from wars/boss hunts/ pk trips. So I guess you could say the reason I play runescape is for dragonwood.

eosss4.png

Currently in: Echo Of Silence

yea same as david ^^.... i only play runescape for Downfall and the friends in it.... clans ftw ;)

>> DF-RUNE-WILL<<

>> DOWNFALL COUNCIL SINCE OCT 08' <<

Be Part of the Downfall Today!:

Click For Downfall's Site!

#Downfall on swift irc

>>110+ Clan (108+ for Fa) - 85+ Def. - 70+ Mage - 15+ Rune sets - TS3<<

Same, if I wasn't in a clan I wouldn't even bother with RS.

Of course, you are posting in 'Clan Discussion' so I'm pretty much sure everyone here is going to say they're good ::'

rsd.gif

rsdb.png

124ecdx.gifFormer Admin of The Death Monkeighs124ecdx.gif

124ecdx.gifFormer Vengeance Council124ecdx.gif

124ecdx.gifFormer Eternal Honour Member124ecdx.gif

124ecdx.gifCurrent Runescape Dinasty Supreme Member124ecdx.gif

Clans are a mixed boat, to be honest. You are really looking at 2 very differing viewpoints but one recurring theme comes through: Those without clans do not understand those with.

This theory has been proven over the years time after time, as Jagex has shunned clans because they simply don't understand them. Even fansites have shunned clans, not so much now but certainly in the past.

The good: Clans are like Runescape families. Be they big or small, warring or skilling, community or country, clans are basically groups of friends who join together to make their overall game experience better. The clan world is one that is strange and unknown to people who haven't had any clan contact before, so it may seem shocking to a newcomer.

The bad: Clans are like families in bad ways as well. You get all kinds of immaturity, arguing, even hacking, flaming, etc. Basically clans have the best and the worst of the RS world.

The ugly: Rule breaking. Since clans are such tight-knit communites, account sharing runs rampant. As does the use of macro's, auto talkers, and bug abusing. (The infamous drop potential bug a few months back was abused almost entirely by clans and their members).

I remember when I first got into clans I was shocked, to say the least. Everything was so different from what I was used to, though I quickly grew to enjoy it. If you ask around, you will find that most members of serious clans play entirely for their clan, and I am the same way. Clans drag you in, for better or for worse. And they are here to stay ;)

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

it's the same for me, i only play RS to make myself better for my clan.

i tried going on a break from clans but i found that once you've joined a clan...you cant go back to how you used to play RS ::'

th_Headphones-cat.gif

Iz u Dizzy?

Depends, if you enjoy pking with some friends you can't really go deep with out finding a war in place. But most clans provide fun events and a family like atmosphere which is good :thumbsup: I honnestly wish I could do nothing but do wars with my clan daily. My clan mates are fun and positive towards each other and we can make time pass by with fun instead of clicking and talking to a couple friends you can always find some one to talk with or hang out with. I personally play for my clan now and idk what'd I'd do with out clans.

6590ew.jpg

yea without clans i wouldnt be playing runescape...and clans push you forward to work harder on combat, today im 109 combat training like crazy so i can be good. but if i wasnt in downfall i'd prob be clwing in 141 and still be like 95 combat. And theres always clan competitions that push you hard to get your skills up.

http://rs-downfall.com Join the Community, if you're already in a clan register and become a clan friend!

Downfall Since September 6, 2008

Clans = good

Over-zealous mods = bad

Too many of the more popular ones have mods that seem to have no reason for being there other than to flex their little internet muscles. I just left one where the mod got into a bit of an argument with someone over typing "omfg" Definitely ridiculous but apparently those are the rules. Not 10 minutes later another mod uses the word "[wagon]" to describe someone who was chatting while a list was being read, and this was somehow perfectly acceptable.

HUH? :wall:

Point being they become like the middle-school "cliques" for the popular kids and anyone not in is out.

Jetset516.png

honestly this is subjective. Some like clans, some dont. For runescape, I think its good, theres a good amount of players that just play for the sole purpose of clanning including me.

gene.png

gene2.png

gene3.png

person who won the most awards: Generaldesor

RETIRED

Clans are what makes RS fun. Now too many people find grinding to be much fun anyways (I only log in for my clan also).

So, yeah, Economically for Jagex, clans gives them an extra million in membership money in a month, so I don't think they are complaining.

And, in all honesty, I find the flaming in between clans to be mildly entertaining.

Clans are like Reality Shows. They're there for people's entertainment. Be it fights happening in between people, or all the funyn wars that are happening.

22031_s.gif

Clans are an excellent way to see simultaneously the best and worst of runescape and its rag-tag community.

I personally would have stopped playing Runescape years ago were it not for finally stumbling upon the clan-scene one day. And that, I suppose, could be considered both good and bad. :P

I think the only clan I see as 'bad' or selfish is the nh clans--but I'm quite clearly biased in this as my main clan operates on 'honor' principles.

hzvjpwS.gif

Well ill say clans are great! because if it wasnt for TDM i wouldnt be here playing runescape or stuff, ill still be playing WOW and wont think of re-playing Rs.

The Neggas Clan since 2nd August 2009 <3

Fishy pot -

99strength

99attack

99cook

99fletch

pfft, who needs clans when you can skill!!

I still <3 TK though <3:

Kill :shame: SKill

Skill> Kill

Sutty 1292 is 17.9% combat based, with 47,745,528 combat based exp, and 266,698,874 total exp.

I'm one of lowest Combat % in my clan =S

Skilling FTW :lol:

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?

Signature_Lady_Gaga_3_by_Sed_rah.jpg

appmanagercrown.pngTKO Blitz Member | bluepd5.gifEx-Tempted Killers Council

Skill> Kill

Sutty 1292 is 17.9% combat based, with 47,745,528 combat based exp, and 266,698,874 total exp.

Gratz?

Go join a skillers clan or something seeing as this topic is talking about how clans are good or bad and you've gone completely off topic. I've heard skiller clans are good and make skilling less boring and give tips on how to level faster. Might join one myself when my stats get half good. XD

New account: Jack

Gratz?

Go join a skillers clan or something seeing as this topic is talking about how clans are good or bad and you've gone completely off topic. I've heard skiller clans are good and make skilling less boring and give tips on how to level faster. Might join one myself when my stats get half good. XD

someone seems a bit angry, and you do realise your going off topic aswell?

on the other hand, Rs would probably be a little more boring if i wasn't in a clan and it's a good pass time from skilling, so clans are a good thing tbh :thumbsup:

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?

Signature_Lady_Gaga_3_by_Sed_rah.jpg

appmanagercrown.pngTKO Blitz Member | bluepd5.gifEx-Tempted Killers Council

pfft, who needs clans when you can skill!!

I still <3 TK though <3:

Kill :shame: SKill

Skill> Kill

I blame people like you for killing the clan world. People would rather skill then kill.... sad days of Runescape.