A New Skill: Boating

Jeda45

No, not sailing. Boating.

There would be two sections to this skill, Boats and Ships.

Boats:

Can be built with the Construction skill. Boating level to use is about the construction level to make, methinks.

Lv1: Log Raft. Needs: 10 logs, 3 rope. 10 Inventory slots. Restricted to rivers.

Lv5: Walled Log Raft. Needs: 10 logs, 3 rope, 10 planks, 30 nails. 20 inventory slots. Range is 1 unit.

Lv7: Small rowboat. Needs: 30 planks, 100 nails, 5 Swamp Paste. 5 inventory slots. Range is 5 units.

Lv14: Large Raft. Needs: 15 logs, 5 rope, 20 planks, 50 nails. 40 inventory slots. Range is 2 units.

Lv23: Rowboat. Needs: 50 planks, 200 nails, 25 Swamp Paste. 10 Inventory slots. Range is 8 units.

Lv35: Sail raft. Needs: 20 logs, 10 rope, 20 planks, 50 nails, 1 Sailcloth. 25 inventory slots. Range is 10 units.

Lv55: Sailboat. Needs: 100 planks, 500 nails, 2 Sailcloth, 50 Swamp Paste, 5 logs, 2 rope. 50 inventory slots. Needs 1 other crew member (read: willing player). Range is 25 units.

The Sail Shop: Sells all items listed above (In the "needs:" section), and oars.

Found at most ports. Also has a "boat exchange" where you can buy/sell boats.

I'm not sure what a "unit" should be, but I think 10 units should get you to Karamja from Mudskipper Point.

Most boats can be fished from if you're lucky enough to have the tools and find a shoal. If you find a shoal, you can catch fish from it.

Tuna shoal: Needs level 20 fishing. 15 XP each. (Harpoon)

Swordfish shoal: Needs level 40 fishing. 50 XP each. (Harpoon)

Shark pack: Needs level 65 fishing. 90 XP each. (Harpoon) If in a shark pack with a raft, you will probably get attacked.

Turtle shoal: Needs level 70 fishing. 40 XP each. (Big Net)

Manta shoal: Needs level 80 fishing. 35 XP each. (Harpoon)

You can also get seaweed, edible seaweed, and flotsam (Big Net). Flotsam can be looted for:

Planks

Rope

Seaweed (both kinds)

Oysters

Logs

Sailcloth

Nails

Caskets

Random events:

Storm: The higher the level, the better you chances of surviving are.

Ghost Ship: An abandoned ship! What supplies might it have?

Pirates: If you're defeated, you lose your boat/ship and stuff! If you win, you can loot the pirate ship for treasure (Including stuff the pirates have found in the past. Including rares that have been lost)! Arr!

And to be a sailor:

There are 4 kinds of ship:

Fishing Trawler

Merchant Ship

Vessel of Exploration

Warship

At most docks, there'll be a cap'n waiting to hire you as a sailor. If your level is enough, you might become one yourself!

On fishing trawlers, the deal is more or less the minigame, with less catastrophe,fewer rare fish (You'll get lots of tuna. Ix-nay on the ark-shays, mostly, though.), and no helpful messages on the screen ("Oh noes, the net's ripped!". No. You're going to have to check yerself. Luckily, it will happen less)

Merchant ships. These have a high rate of pirate events. But, the pay is much better than on other ships. Like the trawler, but no fish.

Explorer: Go to uncharted lands. Find cool new stuff. Leaks will spring now and then, like the other ships.

Warship: Fight other ships. Good pay, lots of combat XP. Lots of loot from pirates, too!

If you jump into a river in Paris, you're insane. If you jump into a river in Egypt, you're in denial.

[hide=quote]No, not sailing. Boating.

Boats:

Can be built with the Construction skill. Boating level to use is about the construction level to make, methinks.

Lv1: Log Raft. Needs: 10 logs, 3 rope. 10 Inventory slots. Restricted to rivers.

Lv5: Walled Log Raft. Needs: 10 logs, 3 rope, 10 planks, 30 nails. 20 inventory slots. Range is 1 unit.

Lv7: Small rowboat. Needs: 30 planks, 100 nails, 5 Swamp Paste. 5 inventory slots. Range is 5 units.

Lv14: Large Raft. Needs: 15 logs, 5 rope, 20 planks, 50 nails. 40 inventory slots. Range is 2 units.

Lv23: Rowboat. Needs: 50 planks, 200 nails, 25 Swamp Paste. 10 Inventory slots. Range is 8 units.

Lv35: Sail raft. Needs: 20 logs, 10 rope, 20 planks, 50 nails, 1 Sailcloth. 25 inventory slots. Range is 10 units.

Lv55: Sailboat. Needs: 100 planks, 500 nails, 2 Sailcloth, 50 Swamp Paste, 5 logs, 2 rope. 50 inventory slots. Needs 1 other crew member (read: willing player). Range is 25 units.

The Sail Shop: Sells all items listed above (In the "needs:" section), and oars.

Found at most ports. Also has a "boat exchange" where you can buy/sell boats.

I'm not sure what a "unit" should be, but I think 10 units should get you to Karamja from Mudskipper Point.

Most boats can be fished from if you're lucky enough to have the tools and find a shoal. If you find a shoal, you can catch fish from it.

Tuna shoal: Needs level 20 fishing. 15 XP each. (Harpoon)

Swordfish shoal: Needs level 40 fishing. 50 XP each. (Harpoon)

Shark pack: Needs level 65 fishing. 90 XP each. (Harpoon) If in a shark pack with a raft, you will probably get attacked.

Turtle shoal: Needs level 70 fishing. 40 XP each. (Big Net)

Manta shoal: Needs level 80 fishing. 35 XP each. (Harpoon)

You can also get seaweed, edible seaweed, and flotsam (Big Net). Flotsam can be looted for:

Planks

Rope

Seaweed (both kinds)

Oysters

Logs

Sailcloth

Nails

Caskets

Random events:

Storm: The higher the level, the better you chances of surviving are.

Ghost Ship: An abandoned ship! What supplies might it have?

Pirates: If you're defeated, you lose your boat/ship and stuff! If you win, you can loot the pirate ship for treasure (Including stuff the pirates have found in the past. Including rares that have been lost)! Arr!

And to be a sailor:

There are 4 kinds of ship:

Fishing Trawler

Merchant Ship

Vessel of Exploration

Warship

At most docks, there'll be a cap'n waiting to hire you as a sailor. If your level is enough, you might become one yourself!

On fishing trawlers, the deal is more or less the minigame, with less catastrophe,fewer rare fish (You'll get lots of tuna. Ix-nay on the ark-shays, mostly, though.), and no helpful messages on the screen ("Oh noes, the net's ripped!". No. You're going to have to check yerself. Luckily, it will happen less)

Merchant ships. These have a high rate of pirate events. But, the pay is much better than on other ships. Like the trawler, but no fish.

Explorer: Go to uncharted lands. Find cool new stuff. Leaks will spring now and then, like the other ships.

Warship: Fight other ships. Good pay, lots of combat XP. Lots of loot from pirates, too![/hide]

No, not sailing. Boating. [/thread]

Opeious.pngopei.png

Barrows Drops:....................................................Dragon Drops:...............Other Drops:

Dharok: 2 Helms, 1 Top, 2 Legs, 4 Axes.......................2 Claws Split..................1 Bandos Tassets

Karil: 1 Coif, 1 Top, 2 Skirt, 2 Crossbows......................3 Plate legs...................4 Berserker Rings

Ahrim: 3 Hood, 2 Top, 3 Skirt, 1 Staff..........................2 Plate Skirts.................2 Warrior Rings

Verac: 1 Helm, 3 Tops, 2 Skirts, 1 Flail..........................1 Med........................1 Archer Ring

Guthan: 2 Helm, 5 Tops, 1 Skirt, 0 Spear.....................1 Shield Half.................1 Seers Ring

Torag: 2 Helms, 2 Tops, 5 Legs, 1 Hammer....................4 Hatchets..................1 Missed Divine Sigil (was at bank -,- fml)

Boating persay would have a motor.

There are no motors in runescape to drive boats.

The dwarves could make one. But it's still a shockingly bad idea.

runescapess162607v.jpg

Dragon drops: Half shield(cs), med helm(cs) Chainbody (cs) (I do a lot of monster hunting with my clan!

Barrows: Guthan's plateboy [1]

GWD: None yet, only done a few trips

Others: I'd love to be able to let you know.

GentleAura.png

Explain the difference.

really i think that boating is more limited, (only boats) but sailing is a wider range where you can have boats and other things

even if ppl wanted sailing as a skill ( :wall: which they don't) , why would they want only a part of it?

Opeious.pngopei.png

Barrows Drops:....................................................Dragon Drops:...............Other Drops:

Dharok: 2 Helms, 1 Top, 2 Legs, 4 Axes.......................2 Claws Split..................1 Bandos Tassets

Karil: 1 Coif, 1 Top, 2 Skirt, 2 Crossbows......................3 Plate legs...................4 Berserker Rings

Ahrim: 3 Hood, 2 Top, 3 Skirt, 1 Staff..........................2 Plate Skirts.................2 Warrior Rings

Verac: 1 Helm, 3 Tops, 2 Skirts, 1 Flail..........................1 Med........................1 Archer Ring

Guthan: 2 Helm, 5 Tops, 1 Skirt, 0 Spear.....................1 Shield Half.................1 Seers Ring

Torag: 2 Helms, 2 Tops, 5 Legs, 1 Hammer....................4 Hatchets..................1 Missed Divine Sigil (was at bank -,- fml)

Okay, I was just saying that "sailing" means that the involved boat has a sail...

Come up with a better name.

Please?

If you jump into a river in Paris, you're insane. If you jump into a river in Egypt, you're in denial.

Boating persay would have a motor.

There are no motors in runescape to drive boats.

The dwarves could make one. But it's still a shockingly bad idea.

They already make steam-driven ships. You could use that idea.

Not a bad suggestion, really. Sadly, Runescape already has a huge charter ship system, which would probably poke a hole in your "exploration" idea. A use that boats could have for player use would be similar to agility shortcuts, except you can sail across any lake/river/stream/sea. This could allow greater accessibility, but that's mostly it.

I'm sure plenty of players would appreciate the ability to freely sail Runescape's oceans. All Jagex would have to do is render the oceans (more than what is visible from land) and allow us to steer our ships as easily as we can walk. Maybe we can also hire crews to help man our ships and we can have a special "PvP" for sailing. In this PvP, you do not lose your armour or anything in your inventory, but you can lose merchandise/other valuables on your ships; you can also fire your cannons at other players' ships. I'm sure this new element will add less walls and more freedom in the game.

(And when I mean that it would be as easy as walking, I mean that you can navigate by clicking in the minimap or by clicking on the water. You would be able to travel across the entire ocean, as if you could walk on it. You could possibly find some small islands with caves and send your crew to plunder it while you keep watch on your ship, which adds greater risk as you have only one person who can actually fire a cannon or make any repairs - yourself.)

For example, a high-level Sailor might have a big [wagon] warship manned by a strong crew of mercenaries that are more than willing to loot another player's ship and destroy it (once a player is vanquished, they are forced to swim back to land - like the fishing trawler). A lower-level Sailor might just have some sort of skiff or raft. I think it's an excellent idea, and I wouldn't mind if Jagex did implement this. I don't see how a lot of players would quit (which would be kind of childish) since it's not something that affects everyone, just the people that want to enjoy the new skill.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

• 2 weeks later...

I think not.

Plus, judging from how you explained it, this sounds more like an expansion on the Construction Skill.

Boats:

Can be built with the Construction skill. Boating level to use is about the construction level to make, methinks.Lv1: Log Raft. Needs: 10 logs, 3 rope. 10 Inventory slots. Restricted to rivers.

So, this doesn't sound like a "new" skill, rather just an update on another one.

Link0000109.png

Homer: So if we don't all vote the same way we'll be "deadlocked" and be "sequestered" at the Springfield Hotel, where we'll get Free Room, Free TV, Free Food, Free HBO. OOH! Free Willy!

Skinner: Homer I think this has something more to do than a disobedient whale.

Homer: Okay, how are the rest of you voting.

Every member of the Jury: Guilty.

Homer: How many "S'" in innocent?

*Jury groans*

Homer: I'm only doing what I think is right. I believe Freddy Quimby should walk out of here a free hotel.

May work as say a minigame or part of a quest but not an entire skill.

Yup, it would probably be more like a minigame, like my suggestion was. It would be pretty awesome to be able to freely sail around the entire globe (as long as it's an open body of water that isn't landlocked) and get to randomly find islands/other ships and raid them. It would also add more to the freedom if you could navigate like you would walk (click on minimap or by left-clicking on water for movement).

Maybe you could also fight other players' ships and see who is better. More money invested plus a certain skill level means that you can get a faster, bigger, and stronger ship. :thumbup:

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

^ I would LOVE an update on construction.

Anyways, i don't think this is going to work, because it is too similar to something to do with construction and woodcutting. Or the canoes on the Lum river.

Recent update on construction was they added a Menagerie. There's an update for you.

[hide=Accomplishments]65 Fishing (Swordfish gloves) - July 29, 2009

Rune Defender - August 15, 2009

My Dream Armor(P2P) - August 18, 2009

Slayer Helmet - September 19, 2009

75 Attack (Ability to Wield GS) - October 17, 2009

100 posts in Tip.It Forum - October 25, 2009

80 Strength - December 12, 2009[/hide]

[hide=F2P/P2P Stats and Goals]Kll0neT1me.png

Kll0neT1me.png

Kll0neT1me.png

Kll0neT1me.png[/hide]

"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they can make up their minds."

-Wilt Chamberlain