Rare Andrew Gower interview

Bruceongames

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the press release:

New Jagex MMO entering final internal testing

In exclusive interview for Bruceongames, Jagex founder Andrew Gower reveals details of upcoming "Mechscape" MMO.

Coventry, UK August 18, 2009

Browser MMOs are very fashionable just now, but the market was led by Andrew Gower's Runescape, which is in the Guinness book of Records, and the company Jagex, which he founded. Jagex is based in Cambridge and with around 400 staff they are the biggest independent UK developer. In addition to Runescape they have the FunOrb online gaming portal.

In an exclusive interview for Bruceongames, http://www.bruceongames.com/ , company co-founder Andrew Gower reveals details of the upcoming "Mechscape" MMO: "It's very much a game of exploration and discovery and has beautiful art direction and back-story............the version in the office is now pretty much feature complete, it's fully playable and is due to enter the final internal testing and polishing shortly."

As part of a wide ranging interview Andrew explains how he got into the video game industry and offers good advice for anyone wishing to follow in his footsteps. He also gives his view of future trends and says what he thinks about being on the Sunday Times rich list.

I seriously hope Mechscape isn't a flop. The potential financial backlash could obliterate Jagex's staff.

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

Sounds good, thanks for putting text on here. Not fan of technology games, but i bet it will be good for those who does.

Welcome to Tip.it :thumbup:

Google "bruceongames" it comes up as a site....

He spelled Runescape "Rumescape" and 1 post count made me suspicious.

I seriously hope Mechscape isn't a flop. The potential financial backlash could obliterate Jagex's staff.

Yeah it could. I wonder why they did not think of Runescape 3 instead?

You might say Mechscape is Runescape 3, but i would say it's not. It's just another game from Jagex.

Andrew tells us what Mechscape is in the interview.

He tells us what has already been told.

Yep. At least they're taking their time. I like the sound of "very much a game of exploration and discovery and has beautiful art direction and back-story".

cliffside1ra5.png

Hehe Andrew has aged well, he doesn't look a day older than he did when you used to catch him on webcam 8 years ago.

Nice little interview, nothing new to be said but was nice to hear from the Wizard Gower himself.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Wow he looks very young. What age was he anyone when he made DeviousMUD because that would of been a very impressive feat for such a young person.

Best Rubik's cube time solve: 27.81 seconds.

Completed Facebook Tetris Marathon (670k score)

2000+ total with 5 99's, fletching, cooking, attack, thieving and firemaking

@bruceongames has an exclusive interview with Andrew Gower at http://[Censored - Don&#39;t use a URL shortner]/1HELFf. Ajd

As for how old he is...

Andrew was born in december 1978 which makes him 31, almost 32. Runescape came out in 2001 which would have made him about 23 when I signed up. Runescape started development in 1999 which would have made him 21. DeviousMUD was made when Andrew was only 20.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Andrew was born in december 1978 which makes him 31, almost 32. Runescape came out in 2001 which would have made him about 23 when I signed up. Runescape started development in 1999 which would have made him 21. DeviousMUD was made when Andrew was only 20.

Dag! I've been playing a game developed by a guy 15 months younger than me? :shock: :lol:

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Pretty nice read.

I have the feeling Jagex has been giving out a lot more interviews lately.

And it's nice to hear some stuff.

Wether it be the beginning or future projects.

summersignature.png angel2w.gif

"A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do"

[Currently playing: K1ll L1f3]

Looking forward to mechscape. This kinda scared me though...

[hide=Andrew "Gower"...err...Gower.]Andrew-Gower-Jagex-Runescape.jpg[/hide]

He has that funny face where his eyes are kinda like this...

[hide=]1214-big-eyes.jpg[/hide]

don't mess with the "Gower" ;)

I think that is his brother, Cletus gower :lol:

I am wondering what age mechscape is going to be set in, sounds like the future to me.

Would kind of make sense, runescape is set in the past and mechscape is set in the future.

perfetc_666.png

IM GOING TO LIVE FOREVER .......... or die trying

And very pretty <3:
I'm pretty, he's not, he's just youthful ;)

Lol at Racheya falling in love with Andrew o.O

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

And very pretty <3:

I think he's better looking than Mark Gerhard ^____^

O_o Mark Gerhard pwns Gower at beauty, That's just IMO

13Ra3.png

Veteran Cape Owner (10 year)

And very pretty <3:

I think he's better looking than Mark Gerhard ^____^

O_o Mark Gerhard pwns Gower at beauty, That's just IMO

No pic no proof :>

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]