Would you pay money for a useless object?

Atom Smash40

Ok, so I've been browsing around forums (both here and on RSOF) and I see many threads about lending rares (eg. Santa hat, Partyhats, H'ween masks, etc.) for money. Now, this doesn't make sense to me. Why would people pay to rent something that doesn't give any bonus whatsoever? If you're trying to look rich, you still aren't. And who are you trying to impress? Also, you can't attack anything with it, so it's not like a godsword where you can actually use it for something. The only purpose it serves is to look good, and even then not many people care.

So I ask, why do people pay/charge to lend rares?

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah they're useless I wouldnt pay to wear them, owned many and given them away or lost them due to the fact when you have it its boring, when you dont have it its agony.

They should spend the money on skills really, lending a weapon fair enough but an item that boosts nothing.

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

So they can show off a nd make it look like they're a rich and/or important player. That's about it.

but see, theyre not. and no one else will believe it (especially if their stats suck and are a low combat level). so why pay to pretend?

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

And you think the only reason one would borrow a "useless" item is to make other people think different of them (I.e they're very rich..)? You don't think it could be for the person that borrowed such items own satisfaction. That they for several hours can be pleased with what they're wearing? Even if it's to sit Hialching in their PoH. May simply be that they've always wanted to wear one and try different outfits for their own pleasure. I don't see a problem with it.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

So they can show off a nd make it look like they're a rich and/or important player. That's about it.

but see, theyre not. and no one else will believe it (especially if their stats suck and are a low combat level). so why pay to pretend?

Because many people pay to have a pretend life because it's better than their own.

We call these people World of Warcraft players. ::'

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

For a while, rares were the only guaranteed source of longterm profit. Back in a former life, I merched these over the long term to the tune of roughly 15m (and then got hacked and turned against merching), which was a crapton of money back in RSC.

I bought a santa for personal enjoyment back in late '05 at 4.8m, and it nearly tripled in value to 12.9m on the day before construction came out (I believe this was roughly May '06).

Nowadays, I have no idea, though, and since my cash reserves are never above around 5m, I have no interest.

NO MERCH - NO PEST CONTROL - NO SOUL WARS

Lowest combat (only sub-90) on the TIF high scores list

mr_ph3r.png

8inagility.jpg

mr_ph3r.png

I guess most just feel like showing off, with something that's not even theirs.

However, there are also those that intend to, or believe they will, buy the certain item, and just want to get the feeling of having it beforehand. Much like someone who takes a car they cannot afford for a test drive- For what it feels, not so they could show off.

*looks at sig*

I had some money to throw around, wanted to try one on and see how it looked... yeah.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Of course. Most people who see someone with a p hat thinks that the wearer of that item is also the owner of it. They most often don't think that the item might have been lent.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Of course. Most people who see someone with a p hat thinks that the wearer of that item is also the owner of it. They most often don't think that the item might have been lent.

I have other experiences. Most people don't believe it's my phat and want to see it in trade (both on my main and my pure).

[404] Signature not found.

People borrow them to boost their self esteem and tell self-perceived noobs that are attracted to the pretty pixels to "bug off" or "get a life noob." Which, in turn, goes back to the first point.

Of course, most borrow them for other reasons, I believe.

demonslayer2.png

Retired Tip.It Mod || Admin and Founder of Caesar 3 Mod Squad! All are welcome!

Nah they're useless I wouldnt pay to wear them, owned many and given them away or lost them due to the fact when you have it its boring, when you dont have it its agony.

They should spend the money on skills really, lending a weapon fair enough but an item that boosts nothing.

They do boost something. They boost egos. ;)

user1-dark.png 

Huge_Noob.png