Is the quality of food declining?

Zierro

I never said I didn't like taco bell, it's low quality food - PERIOD.

it's never been gourmet - it's cheap for a reason - you get what you pay for generally.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Homemade tacos have always been much tastier. But my point is that the quality, although it is not that good to begin with, has been declining to something even worse. What's so wrong about making this observation?

If anything, I'd say using Taco Bell as an example makes the point stronger. Taco Bell is low quality. Well, when it becomes even lower in quality than it already is, doesn't that say something? It's better than using gourmet lobster as an example, as the better the quality, the more potential it has to decline.

I agree. Homemade tacos have always been much tastier. But my point is that the quality, although it is not that good to begin with, has been declining to something even worse. What's so wrong about making this observation?

Taste - it's not a quantifiable variable. It's objective and varies greatly based on factors. You may of been more hungry when you enjoyed them.

It's a mental observation that cannot be mathematically proven and is strictly someones view.

And it's fast food - could of been left out longer - prefixed or could of been expired - never know.

I dont know about you - but you can go to a fastfood restaurant on day X and get worse food the NEXT DAY.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Taste - it's not a quantifiable variable. It's objective and varies greatly based on factors. You may of been more hungry when you enjoyed them.

Taste is objective?

It's a mental observation that cannot be mathematically proven and is strictly someones view.

Of course. We won't be able to prove anything. However, the more people that report to have seen this pattern, the more it points to the hypothesis being correct. And science deals with mental observations that have nothing to do with mathematics all the time. It's nothing new.

And it's fast food - could of been left out longer - prefixed or could of been expired - never know.

I dont know about you - but you can go to a fastfood restaurant on day X and get worse food the NEXT DAY.

Yes, that is true. Back then when I thought food was better, there have been days where the food just didn't taste right. However, I've been having those days much much much more often and so have others, so I think it's fair to call it a pattern instead of a coincidence.

People saying he is getting older are wrong.

There is less poweder on Doritos, for example now.

Yes, and I can't "snap into a SlimJim" anymore. They have a weird beef jerky-like texture now and are harder to bite. It isn't just a change of my taste buds. Not to mention people who are different ages than me agree with this, so if it is true, it's a major coincidence that our taste buds are altering at the same exact time despite our age differences.

Anyways, this observation can easily be refuted by comparing the ingredient composition from the above products for it's respective years.

If the ingredient composition are claimed to be exactly the same, even though numerous consumers claim they taste much different than they used to, then either the ingredients are lying or the consumers are.

[bleep] guys [Zierro] debate on food ?! Just calm down. :pray:

Well, I only have home-made food. Which is the best. But I know some people don't have that luxury ...

I have noticed, even in Australia, that food - specifically my $2 Cottage Cookies become stale much more quickly.

But yeah, chocolate bars are also getting smaller, if you haven't noticed already :P

"Fun" size my [wagon].

It's been a while since I've had a Slim Jim, so if I had one today I would probably notice any present difference between what it is and what I remember. But Taco Bell has always been crap. Tasty crap, but still low quality.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Eat a Banana. They are awesome, there are even songs about it.

Bananas are great. Healthy and fairly cheap. The only problem is they aren't very filling. As a matter of fact, I don't think any fruit is filling. :o

I don't know what you mean here.

Eat a Banana. They are awesome, there are even songs about it.

Bananas are great. Healthy and fairly cheap. The only problem is they aren't very filling. As a matter of fact, I don't think any fruit is filling. :o

I don't know what you mean here.

Bananas are very filling. Or try green apples with some salt. Or raw mangos with salt. :thumbup:

Also, to your second point. I'm saying you turned to your aggresive post structure involving quotes and then brutally attacking the person on the other end. Like one does. I have no idea what I'm saying anymore.

But yes, fruit is very filling. Also I've noticed if fruit is on the sour side [like kiwi fruit or green apples] it doesn't taste as if your stomach is filled. Watermelon however, is a completely different story.

There is no cantaloupe. It's rockmelon. :thumbup:

Also, to your second point. I'm saying you turned to your aggresive post structure involving quotes and then brutally attacking the person on the other end. Like one does. I have no idea what I'm saying anymore.

Brutally attacking the person on the other end? I have a feeling that you're just luring me into debating you. :lol:

The last McDonalds I had didn't taste great, neither did the last BK.

Not noticed much of a change in frozen foods, although there is a slight lack of taste in them compared to the past.

The reason is the anti-crap campaigns. They make them reduce the fat, sugar and salt in foods by a considerable amount. There not even seasoning stuff right as its unhealthly.

It pees me off as I'm underweight and they keep reducing the fat in the foods I eat and then complain I need to put on weight.

Come on if a obese persona can't control what there eating why take it out on the rest of us. Its the obese persons issue not mine.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Brutally attacking the person on the other end? I have a feeling that you're just luring me into debating you. :lol:

Oh no no.

You know, just taking reference from you and - Venomai, Ginger, 1MA. Your exploits in the "Is God Real" thread. Etcetera. Abortion. Cigarettes.

I don't know about you guys, but I am not liking the taste of alot of foods that they have made low-[something]. e.g. I cannot stand the taste of Maggi 2 minute noodles now that they are 99% fat free, foods I used to love taste awful with their change to low-[something].

It's not that I don't like healthy food, it's just that I can't stand the taste of these foods now that companies are trying to ensnare the weight-conscious and those who are trying to eat healthier. Unfortunately, there are no normal versions, so I have to buy different things instead.

Stupid people wanting to eat their fatty food yet try and loose their weight so they get companies to change their receipe. :cry:

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

I don't often go to a fast food place (they have become really expensive as well), usually on the alcohol drenched weekend a burger and fries might see it's way to me.

But talking about proper food, yes the quality has decreased alot. Salami, smoked ham&etc that you put on your toast all have a crapload of stuff in them which you didn't find some years back.

As an example i can take elk. At certain big super-markets you can find elk meat, which actually don't taste that bad compared to other meat types. But i've also eaten it without the factories interfering (dads sis' - her neighbours are hunters), and it's a big different in the taste, yep ok partly because it's more fresh but also due to it being free from additions.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

You know, just taking reference from you and - Venomai, Ginger, 1MA. Your exploits in the "Is God Real" thread. Etcetera. Abortion. Cigarettes.

In those cases, any ad hominems were mutual. This thread is pretty different if you ask me though. The most debating on this thread is how Das said my Taco Bell example is bad, and me defending it. In fact, in this thread I even said the words, "I'm not trying to argue here." You should be proud of me. :D

Oh no no.

Oh yeah? What's that big paragraph above then??

In those cases, any ad hominems were mutual. This thread is pretty different if you ask me though. The most debating on this thread is how Das said my Taco Bell example is bad, and me defending it. In fact, I even said the words, "I'm not trying to argue here." You should be proud of me. :D

Oh no no.

Oh yeah? What's that big paragraph above then??

I don't know anything anymore. I should log-off for the night. :thumbup:

I lurve you Zierro.

Bye bye everyone.

Also I've noticed that companies have started to put more air in chip packets than before. C'mon.

When I was 10, I opened up a packet that was just air. I know, crazy. Though, probably just a hiccup in the production line.

I don't know anything anymore.

Haha, I edited it because that did come out wrong:

In those cases, any ad hominems were mutual. This thread is pretty different if you ask me though. The most debating on this thread is how Das said my Taco Bell example is bad, and me defending it. In fact, in this thread I even said the words, "I'm not trying to argue here." You should be proud of me. :D

(I was talking to someone else when I said I wasn't trying to argue. Not Das.)

I lurve you Zierro.

Yeah, it's been an interesting night. <3:

When I was 10, I opened up a packet that was just air. I know, crazy. Though, probably just a hiccup in the production line.

That happens with Sweet Tarts candy a lot. I mean, there are only three in them so it's not like you're missing out on much, but still, just the idea of it is funny.

i dont eat out much, or eat stuff like taco-bell, processed foods or anything, so i wouldnt know

but the quality of food i eat at home....hasnt declined. likely never will.

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

I generally eat all home-grown or organic food, so I haven't really noticed much of a difference. If I ate out more or ate more processed food I may notice such a trend. Although, I did have a hot rod a while back and it tasted like a greasy dog treat. I don't remember if thats what they always tasted like or if it's new. I'm also not sure what a dog treat tastes like, but thats what I imagine it as. :?

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

I haven't been to McDonald's in at least a year, Burger King in about 6 months... I generally go to Culver's, Arby's, or Wendy's if I get fast food. I like Taco Bell, imo it's better than tacos at home (my mom never gets the right kind of ground beef and it doesn't cook properly, it's nasty), but it's always been and will always be cheap crap (but good crap).

As for the quality of Arby's/Culver's/Wendy's I've not noticed any decline, although at Culver's the Kids' Meals are giving less food which I guess is okay unless you're a teenager eating it. Arby's is and always has been expensive, and they recently got rid of regular fries and the chicken strips which made me angry (although Sonic has almost identical ones).

You can eat decently at fast food restaurants cheaply... When I go to Wendy's I get 2 Double Stacks (.99 each), sometimes a Value Fry (.99) and usually a small Frosty (1.29) It fills me up and I get a fake ice cream treat for less than $5! Although I'd rather go to Subway and get a footlong sub.

As for prepackaged foods, I don't really buy off-brand stuff of the sort that's apt to be declining in quality (peanut butter, ketchup, potato chips, cheese, etc) and I haven't noticed any decline in the name-brand stuff, except for perhaps reducing the size of the products.

EDIT: Except for hot dogs. Hot dogs are nasty crap unless you buy Hebrew National or Kogel ones (ball park and oscar mayer are okay, they're still not that good though). And they're really small.

Taste is objective?

you cannot define taste into a measurable quantity, What i enjoy you might not and what you enjoy, I may not.

Of course. We won't be able to prove anything. However, the more people that report to have seen this pattern, the more it points to the hypothesis being correct.

Yeah, but so far it seems to be your and your buddies who have noticed the decline in a cheap fast food chain - could be a change in management or something to that chain. For scientific data you would need a large sampling of a variety of people nation wide - not off topic of a fansite who has users known to [bleep] and moan about everything jagex does.

Back then when I thought food was better, there have been days where the food just didn't taste right. However, I've been having those days much much much more often and so have others, so I think it's fair to call it a pattern instead of a coincidence.

Again one taco bell fan out of how many? You could be psychologically bored of taco hell and want change - so could your friends.

You are still buying cheap quality food - Economically food costs have risen over the years - meaning for taco bell to still offer the 99 cent tacos and burritos - something has to give - a major reason they use rice much more now - it's cheap. It's the lowest end mexican fast food (And maybe fast food) restaurant on the market .

Abraham Lincoln

Good quality food is out there, it's just not as readily available as it should be and little too expensive.

And I haven't had Taco Bell in about 4 years since the last time I went it made my anus fall out.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

i found what looked like a fried roach in mine 7 years ago while on a road trip and swore off the place!

Abraham Lincoln