Hey Hey! Racist Red Faces?

jemathonical

Is it just the Americans that take racism over the top? I am almost certain that if Harry Connick didn't say his 2 cents then we wouldn't be talking about this. I don't think Australians or any other country blow up as much as Americans when it comes to racism.

I'm pretty sure it's just Americans.Glad the rest of the world can still take a joke.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just the Americans that take racism over the top? I am almost certain that if Harry Connick didn't say his 2 cents then we wouldn't be talking about this. I don't think Australians or any other country blow up as much as Americans when it comes to racism.

I'm pretty sure it's just Americans.Glad the rest of the world can still take a joke.

Some Most American do...

I'm just mad that people are mad about this.

Some Most American do...

What, mad that people are mad about the video, or mad that people are mad about the fact that people are mad about the video?

a70c7.png

Some Most American do...

What, mad that people are mad about the video, or mad that people are mad about the fact that people are mad about the video?

Mad that people are mad at the video.

Racist or not I didn't think that was really funny. :-? I really don't think they meant to demean anyone though.

A little background on blackface acts:

Blackface (Wikipedia)

Interesting read.

I didn't really think it was that funny either, but still far from being racist.

I've just been pointed to this.

Courier Mail story about a similar skit

Youtube of said skit

Can't stop laughing really... personally i find his skit ripping on the "nature of black" people a lot worse than the Jackson Jive skit and it is so more stereotypically racist than a tribute to the Jacksons when they were a group.

I've just been pointed to this.

Courier Mail story about a similar skit

Youtube of said skit

Can't stop laughing really... personally i find his skit ripping on the "nature of black" people a lot worse than the Jackson Jive skit and it is so more stereotypically racist than a tribute to the Jacksons when they were a group.

Neither are racist, and I'm not so sure Harry was even impersonating a black person there...

The thing that bothers me about people saying the Jackson Jive skit is racist is that they have no idea what the members of the skit think about black people or if they were doing the skit to denegrate them. That's what really matters here. Racism is like any other "ism" - it's a belief held by people. Something can only be racist if the people doing it are making a racist point by it, and I very much doubt that these highly educated people of different racial backgrounds were being racist. To say that is absurd, so for people to say that this skit was racist is absurd.

This was a total piece of crap. It was a JOKE. The media are blowing this out of proportion because it was the Jackson 5 and MJ died (not so) recently.

I'm glad to hear that tif members don't think that all Aussies are racist.

Oh, I also saw a lady saying on an American T.V. how that our civil rights are behind everyone elses on a global scale. That made me LOL.

disturbeda.png

Not really racist, but man, it has been a while since people blacked up on TV. Really what did they expect?

Actually, just a couple of years ago the chaser did a parody of the Jackson five as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMA0fTXECRQ

No outrage or media attention whatsoever. And again, I cite Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder.

The only reason there is outrage and media attention now is because Harry made a fuss about it. You know what people are like - most of them are sheep and need a leader to stand up and say something before they jump on the bandwagon.

Being incapable of laughing at yourself is emotional immaturity. You take the world too serious if you get offended by racist jokes.

You know who I heard the best 'jew' jokes from? Jews, and their parents when I visited their homes. And not just puns, but extremely offensive & vulgar ones. At least 1 group of people who knows how to take humor. It seems non-jews take these jokes more seriously than the subject of the jokes themself.

A joke on it's own is not racist. Even offensive humor can be comedy. Nobody is perfect, there are flaws within human nature, sometimes these jokes and the stereotypes can hit close to home despite being only rude jokes. A piece of comedy should be only evaluated for it's humoristic value, not for political, historical or social agendas.

Even many black comedians make fun of jews/asians/arabs, many asians mock asian/black traditions/customs, yet when anybody white says any of these jokes, it's suddenly racist and offensive. It's ridiculous. Stop appealing to the past because the people alive today have nothing to do with people of the past. Nobody chose to be born a certain skin color nor can they effect it in any way. People are individual human beings, not colors.

"not being able to laugh at yourself" is a cheap statement to make. Do you realize what that statement means when you say it to someone? You are putting blame on someone else for something you do. If the other person finds it offensive, its due to some personal fault he or she has. Its not that he or she is "not ... able to laugh at [oneself]", its that you're not willing to ask "why do you find that offensive", because maybe it actually is, and you would be the one with some personal fault.

Its offensive when whites make the jokes because they were the ones that started them. They were the ones that propagated them, they were the ones that used them against a group, and they're the ones who complain when they can't use them now that they've been called out for those jokes.

I don't find the OP's skit offensive, I also agree that its blown out of proportion. I have to say though, I'd understand why people would get offended. While blackface isn't really a problem now, yellowface (using powder to represent asians) is still a problem, with white men using yellowface getting chosen before auditions for asians exist.

One last thing to most people here - don't let the media's sensationalism build your ignorance and impatience. I still have my own prejudices but if someone finds something offensive that i don't find offensive, the least respectful thing you can do is tell them they're being "oversensitive" without understanding why its a sensitive issue.

Its offensive when whites make the jokes because they were the ones that started them. They were the ones that propagated them, they were the ones that used them against a group, and they're the ones who complain when they can't use them now that they've been called out for those jokes.

White guys started all racist jokes? Even if that was true it would be irrelevant. It's "offensive" for white people to make racist jokes because in Australia/UK/USA we're the majority ethnic group.

Cool.

White guys started all racist jokes? Even if that was true it would be irrelevant. It's "offensive" for white people to make racist jokes because in Australia/UK/USA we're the majority ethnic group.

Why is it irrelevant?

Why is it irrelevant?

As in it doesn't affect the argument of the skit being racist or not. I also get surprised that people never say anything about the Romans enslaving white people, or of black people selling each other off to white people to make money themselves....

As in it doesn't affect the argument of the skit being racist or not. I also get surprised that people never say anything about the Romans enslaving white people, or of black people selling each other off to white people to make money themselves....

My statement was made to a statement that Bluelancer made. He brings up a related issue, I answer. You bring up a related issue, I will also answer:

Romans enslaving "white people" isn't as simple as that. From what I learned in high school it was a social/economic class issue. Blacks selling off other blacks when slavery was accepted was also a economic issue. But whats your point? Does a black man selling slaves to white men make it okay? Does it take the blame off the ones who started and promoted the act?

My statement was made to a statement that Bluelancer made. He brings up a related issue, I answer. You bring up a related issue, I will also answer:

Romans enslaving "white people" isn't as simple as that. From what I learned in high school it was a social/economic class issue. Blacks selling off other blacks when slavery was accepted was also a economic issue. But whats your point? Does a black man selling slaves to white men make it okay? Does it take the blame off the ones who started and promoted the act?

See the bolded part? Guess what: We're in a economic issue as well! Maybe I should start stealing children and selling them to the rich, making midgets fight each other to the death in an arena and while we're at it, hell, I'll marry my sister because it's an economic issue we're in!

That was sarcasm by the way. The point is We are not in those time zones anymore, so for the good of the future, people need to accept "Yes, we HUMANS, not white/black people, made a mistake. Now we must LEARN from it and move on" not dwell on minor issues like the Red Faces incident.

Popoto.~<3

I have no problem with being politically incorrect often. Those who preach tolerance need to get some themselves.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

The only difference is that people seem to have forgotten that black people would sell each other as slaves, or that white people have been slaves too, it just seems to be that in this day and age black people can take advantage of that, and then call anyone who question why they can get this special treatment racist. If I wanted to start a college fund program for white people, I'd be call racist, if I started one for black people I'd be congratulated for helping make the world a fairer place. :wall:

I think there's word for it - something like counter-racism or something along those lines, I'm sure someone here will know. The whites are actually being racist by only letting the blacks, yellows, purples, greens into cheaper education is racist too, against the whites themselves.

I don't think I've explained it all too well but I hope y'all understand.

Of course in a perfect world everything will be equal but I can't see it happening in my lifetime.

newsigzl2.jpg

^Sir Jem 05-The Bunny Drinking Blog?^ Click it!

tetsupportsig2.jpg

See the bolded part? Guess what: We're in a economic issue as well! Maybe I should start stealing children and selling them to the rich, making midgets fight each other to the death in an arena and while we're at it, hell, I'll marry my sister because it's an economic issue we're in!

That was sarcasm by the way. The point is We are not in those time zones anymore, so for the good of the future, people need to accept "Yes, we HUMANS, not white/black people, made a mistake. Now we must LEARN from it and move on" not dwell on minor issues like the Red Faces incident.

It was an economic issue because they were given two choices: get enslaved themselves, or help the whites enslave their own. Either way, I don't get your point.

How would we "move on"? I agree that the "red faces incident" was minor and blown out of proportion by the media. How would we move on, though, if stereotypes are still propagated? "hey, I'm going to make fun of your eyes because you're asian. What, you're offended? Why don't you move on? So what if everybody made fun of you all your life for it? so what if your children will also be made fun of for the same reasons?" How would me move on from this?

I have no problem with being politically incorrect often. Those who preach tolerance need to get some themselves.

Why and how so? (to your latter sentence)

I think there's word for it - something like counter-racism or something along those lines, I'm sure someone here will know. The whites are actually being racist by only letting the blacks, yellows, purples, greens into cheaper education is racist too, against the whites themselves.

I don't think I've explained it all too well but I hope y'all understand.

Of course in a perfect world everything will be equal but I can't see it happening in my lifetime.

Thats a totally different boat - thats discusses whether or not its reasonable, fair or justifiable to make amends now for wrongs made in the past. I think there might be a word for what you're looking at, but its counterproductive to argue for it (this excludes affirmative action - that does merit discussion) - instances of "counter racism" comments usually boil down to a privileged person complaining about why they can't do "something", when they have access to most "things". Why can't I use the N word? Why can't I (as a male) participate in a women's group for rape victims? There was a racial incident against asians and asian americans at my university recently - there were two meetings open to the students, one was open to all students, the other was open just to asian students. White students purposely sat in at the latter discussion. Why? They thought it wasn't fair that they couldn't participate.

The only difference is that people seem to have forgotten that black people would sell each other as slaves, or that white people have been slaves too, it just seems to be that in this day and age black people can take advantage of that, and then call anyone who question why they can get this special treatment racist. If I wanted to start a college fund program for white people, I'd be call racist, if I started one for black people I'd be congratulated for helping make the world a fairer place. :wall:

No one really notices that black people sold each other off because when thats learned in high school, its coupled with the whole issue of slavery and who started it. Once again, it was an economic issue. It'd be more useful to understand why slavery happened rather than point fingers and say, "hey, white people were enslaved too! enslaving blacks and the treatment they received as slaves wasn't that bad!". Anyways, I distinctly remember my teacher emphasizing the fact that white "slaves" (usually indentured servants) had a ton more rights than black slaves.

I understand why its unfair in the literal sense that you can't make a college fund for whites. But the reasoning behind why funds go to underprivileged hispanic or black students is because... they're underprivileged. If population A has better schools, supplies, teachers, and campus safety than population B, wouldn't some funds be better of in population B? And its not even like its given randomly. The college funds are for students who come from poor homes who made it through the crap that they live through but wouldn't have enough money to make it out anyways.

So you say some poor white students could benefit from those funds too? Yea, but as a majority whole, white students are helluva better off.

This isn't racist, the skit is not about them being black - The face paint was just part of the costume. Nobody would understand what was going on if they didn't have proper costumes. The morons suggesting that this is racist single out the Jackson 5 for being black, YOU'RE the racist.