Hey Hey! Racist Red Faces?

jemathonical

Just a little background information for the most of you who didn't see this.

Last night a show called 'Hey Hey It'sSaturday' had a special reunion show after 10 years off air. It is one of the greatest shows ever in Australia.

There was a segment called 'Red Faces'. It's like Americas/Australia/England's got talent, but without the talent. The acts are hilariously bad and the judges always give bad scores no matter what/

Anywho, this skit was on last night. 6 fellas going up there and doing the exact same skit that they did 20 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96YLZFbrMms

But oh no there was some controversy in a light hearted entertainment show! American guest judge Harry Connick Jr called the skit racist and had a whinge about how in America the blacks have been fighting for years to stop the racism and all that. White man must never paint his face black to impersonate a black man.

"Thanks Daryl - and I just wanted to say on behalf of my country, I know it was done in humour ... but we have spent so much time trying to not make black people look like buffoons, that when we see something like that we take it really to heart," Connick Jr said.

So today of course all the political correct media commentators call the skit racist and bad taste too and everyone is calling everyone racist and it's a complete joke. I watched the act and laughed, like I gather many Australians did.

Connick Jr put a dampener on an hilarious 3 hours of Australian comedy. And now all we are hearing about the final show is how Darryl Somers is racist, the producers are racist, the people in the act are racist. But who cares? So some white people painted their faces black? How else are they going to pretend to be the Jackson 5?

What does Tipit think about the skit - Funny? Racist? Terrible? Great?

Let's go

newsigzl2.jpg

^Sir Jem 05-The Bunny Drinking Blog?^ Click it!

tetsupportsig2.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus Christ, Cant we go back to the 90's when people DIDN'T snap at everything and label it whatever, In this case racist. Seems if you say/do one bad thing to a person with dark skin your instantly labeled racist, When it has NOTHING to do with their skin/color/background! :|

Popoto.~<3

I'd rather say that Mr.Harry Connick Jr should take a closer look at his own prejudice (quite revealing how he reacted right?). I didnt see anything racist in that skit - only a fun tribute to a great great group and its front lead singer; MJ.

Sunli's noob

It's all in good fun. Calling out someone for making fun of black people is not exactly the opposite of racism. In America we seem to put other races on a higher level then ourselves. That's still a form of racism. I get America has struggled hard in the past, but that's over now. Equality is the opposite of racism, which means all races are on an even level, you put blacks higher then yourself and the problem hasn't gone away.

Personally I'm sick to death of the politically correct turn society has taken with these kind of things. It was done jokingly and there was no overt racism whatsoever. Why isn't that enough for people? If people stop to think for a second or bother to do a dictionary check on what racism entails they might come to a more reasonable opinion. The idea that black facepaint in a comedic context means you believe an entire race is inherently inferior is insane.

I though moronic blackface acts were gotten rid of during the 60's, good to see that society is making progress. In short, yes it is offensive.

A little background on blackface acts:

Blackface (Wikipedia)

Edit - To clarify, I don't know if those guys meant to be offensive and I don't know if they are racists or not, I deliberately didn't say it was was racist - I say it was offensive, I consider it ignorance more than anything.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

As I read previously today, "Criticise them not for being offensive. Criticise them for being unfunny. There's a difference."

Admittedly I didn't watch the piece in context, and from what i've gathered it was just a celebration of the show. The use of blackface was just to emulate the Jackson 5, which would have been abysmally pathetic without the use of blackface.

The blackface in this context has no derogatory meaning, and I see it as merely a visual device to aid their performance.

As I read previously today, "Criticise them not for being offensive. Criticise them for being unfunny. There's a difference."

Admittedly I didn't watch the piece in context, and from what i've gathered it was just a celebration of the show. The use of blackface was just to emulate the Jackson 5, which would have been abysmally pathetic without the use of blackface.

The blackface in this context has no derogatory meaning, and I see it as merely a visual device to aid their performance.

I agree entirely and that is one of the greatest quotes I've seen in a while.

"Criticise them not for being offensive. Criticise them for being unfunny. There's a difference."

If they didn't have the blackfaces I don't think as many people would get it straight away and therfore I think it was necessary.

Pit_Guardian.png

Gamertag: EFs Predator.

Games I play: Halo 3, Halo wars.

It was kind of funny, I guess. Not uproariously or something. Got a little chuckle.

But I don't really believe in racism, especially when people call it out like that. Humor is often blamed and misrepresented as sexism, racism, and many other isms. Isms, in my opinion, are not a good thing.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

It was a parody act on the Jackson Five. I don't see how it was racist.

nabsigmar2011.png

[spoiler=My 99s (7)]9,638th to 99 Fletching ~ 29th January 2007

737th to 99 Hunter ~ 2nd July 2007

910th to 99 Agility ~ 28th January 2008

59,467th to 99 Defence ~ 23rd December 2009

92,762nd to 99 Hitpoints ~ 26th June 2010

102,704th to 99 Attack ~ 29th June 2010

144,091st to 99 Strength ~ 29th June 2010

It was kind of funny, I guess. Not uproariously or something. Got a little chuckle.

But I don't really believe in racism, especially when people call it out like that. Humor is often blamed and misrepresented as sexism, racism, and many other isms. Isms, in my opinion, are not a good thing.

This, I hate it when people get offended by everything. Especially when it is obviously a joke.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

Christ sake, everything seems to be racist this or that nowadays.

You can't sing the national anthem at the end of the school year - 'cause it's racist, you can't complain on immigration - because you're a racist if you do... And now you can't paint your face - because it's racist!

Focus on some real issues, god damn it.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Christ sake, everything seems to be racist this or that nowadays.

You can't sing the national anthem at the end of the school year - 'cause it's racist, you can't complain on immigration - because you're a racist if you do... And now you can't paint your face - because it's racist!

Focus on some real issues, god damn it.

Can't have Xmas lights because it's racist.

I hate racism, but this is not racism. It's disgusting how much the media blow this out of proportion.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Being incapable of laughing at yourself is emotional immaturity. You take the world too serious if you get offended by racist jokes.

You know who I heard the best 'jew' jokes from? Jews, and their parents when I visited their homes. And not just puns, but extremely offensive & vulgar ones. At least 1 group of people who knows how to take humor. It seems non-jews take these jokes more seriously than the subject of the jokes themself.

A joke on it's own is not racist. Even offensive humor can be comedy. Nobody is perfect, there are flaws within human nature, sometimes these jokes and the stereotypes can hit close to home despite being only rude jokes. A piece of comedy should be only evaluated for it's humoristic value, not for political, historical or social agendas.

Even many black comedians make fun of jews/asians/arabs, many asians mock asian/black traditions/customs, yet when anybody white says any of these jokes, it's suddenly racist and offensive. It's ridiculous. Stop appealing to the past because the people alive today have nothing to do with people of the past. Nobody chose to be born a certain skin color nor can they effect it in any way. People are individual human beings, not colors.

Apparently the story is all over America now... To make the Downey Jr point a bit more obvious, I can't remember anything remotely like the public outcry we're seeing now when Tropic Thunder came out. In fact, Robert Downey Jr got an Academy Award nomination for his role. Incredible how knee-jerk people can react to things like this, isn't it?

Apparently the story is all over America now... To make the Downey Jr point a bit more obvious, I can't remember anything remotely like the public outcry we're seeing now when Tropic Thunder came out. In fact, Robert Downey Jr got an Academy Award nomination for his role. Incredible how knee-jerk people can react to things like this, isn't it?

That is on the list of things to pound into our head when we're little though, everyone is a racist. Among other things that really have no relevance to this topic. People have the idea they need to prove they are not racist by going out of their way to do that. I know I call a kid on my bus Asian ( his name is Dominick and he's Taiwanese) and one kid Mexican (his name is Christan and, well he's Mexican) though no one calls me a racist except once when someone wanted to fight me because someone said I called a kid mexican. First of all I didn't even know saying someone is from Mexico is an insult. Secondly he wasn't in my circle of friends (I call it that because it doesn't fit the clique i'd be considered in) so he doesn't know I call them that in class as well, in front of teachers. If I want their attention i'll just go, "hey, Asian".

Honestly I know that I am not racist, and that's good enough for me. As long as I don't have doubts about myself people can think what they want.

Humans as a species are so silly.

Ugh, the next time I head the word "racist" I'm going to slap myself in the face.

Seriously, we've done plenty to apologize for having their ancestors in slavery (as if that affects them at all...). Heck, half the scholarships off the PSAT are distinctly for blacks, and the other half are for those who score absurdly high.

There are people who are blatantly racist, and that I'm against. But saying that something's racist when it's not intended to be is another example of....

SOCIETY

BEING

STUPID!

I should seriously make a gameshow about that. Or one of those "inspirational posters."

Edit:

societybeingstupid1.png

Edited by PieisEaten
a70c7.png

Is it just the Americans that take racism over the top? I am almost certain that if Harry Connick didn't say his 2 cents then we wouldn't be talking about this. I don't think Australians or any other country blow up as much as Americans when it comes to racism.

newsigzl2.jpg

^Sir Jem 05-The Bunny Drinking Blog?^ Click it!

tetsupportsig2.jpg