Where are our long-awaited updates!

Dragonkng198

I was slightly bored earlier, so I went reading through the runescape archives of mainpage posts, and got drawn to the Behind the Scenes! (May it RIP)

I actually found two interesting notes in one of the posts, so I'ma sharing it with you

From link: http://services.runescape.com/m=news/newsitem.ws?id=208

Randomly generated scenarios, where a new adventure is generated for you and your friends each time you go on it. Form an adventuring party and go on your own personal quest

Player owned houses - Each player will be able to have their own unique house. Use the new carpentry skill to make new/rare things for your house. Using the farming skill to grow herbs and plants in the grounds of your house. Build your own private party areas and shop areas, and more!

These are the main two I found, and I just thought I'd throw them on here :P

I suppose the discussion value for this is: What updates have you heard/read about, been excited about and turned out to be a dud?

[inb4saling]SALING![/inb4sailing]

[hide=Stats]Dragonkng198.png          Pumpking.png[/hide]

61669e5031.png

71fb431906.png

39c60fedc1.jpg

Fist of Guthix, but the reason behind it is that the players saw it as a way of free magic xp and there is hardly a challenge playing it in F2P, but if Jagex changed it so only the winner received xp, it would be much more thrilling! (even tho it would probably die :()

When they anounced it I was so happy F2P was finally getting a minigame, and don't forget about the rewards! (those are still good, but to easy to get, yet again, because of the free-magic-xp-people)

Randomly generated scenarios as well as player owned shops are still impossible (at least they were last year when Jagex last talked about them), but Jagex has said that they are still a possibility.

Oh and those weren't promises of updates, it was a list of things they wanted to do.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I'm sure you're all wondering whats coming next now the update is finally out, so read on for a summary of some of the things we have planned

They did plan on it, but either forgot about it, or decided not to bother :P

And I agree on the FOG point, all its used for quite often in F2P is free mage xp

61669e5031.png

71fb431906.png

39c60fedc1.jpg

Randomly generated dungeons would be exciting.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

Randomly generated scenarios, where a new adventure is generated for you and your friends each time you go on it. Form an adventuring party and go on your own personal quest

The thing is, clue scrolls, and temple trekking, while being similar to this, can't be what they meant, as it says that they planned for you to go with your friends :P

Pie, I'd love some kind of farming patch in my house too :D

61669e5031.png

71fb431906.png

39c60fedc1.jpg

Randomly generated 'scenarios' or 'dungeons' is a huge concept, wouldn't be surprised if they had been working on this since they announced it and its still not ready.

However I think Jagex was getting ahead of their technology and even creative limits. Such a vague statement as 'randomly generated scenarios' is going to make players think of scenarios that are truly different and are never repetitive. Which has been attempted numerous times but has always been dull, or didn't meet the standard of randomly generated scenarios.

From a game play stand point there's a ridiculous amount of variables to evaluate for such scenarios. You have to consider what the goal of each scenario will be, or will there be multiple goals? If there's multiple goals, than that means there's going to have to be dozens of more sub-goals in each goal. Example, will you be assigned to kill monsters in this scenario, or will you be assigned to travel through a dungeon as fast as possible, or perhaps solve as many quests as you can before you run out of time...etc. There's such a huge variety of concepts for each goal or reasoning behind each scenario, that it's completely impossible to create and implement them in the game, since each concept would have to have randomly generated terrain, NPC's, items, dialog, rewards, back story, monsters, skills to be used or not used...etc. Applying each of these to each concept thought of, would require a some ridiculous man power or time devoted.

Then there's the fact that you couldn't hard code any of this, it would all have to be dynamic code to work properly and effectively.

Jagex would either have to have designed this feature for a long, long, long time or have advanced in their technology far enough that this wouldn't be such a daunting task to complete. I wouldn't count on this in the next three years or even ever.

---

I thought Wilderness Tag was denied, and they stopped working on it? I don't think we'll get it either. There was an article or something in the dev diaries about them abandoning the project due to the wilderness/PvP issues that they needed to solve, and Wilderness Tag wasn't a priority nor would it have served a point?

I remember talk of Duke Freedom suggesting that PoH have their own shop type thing. Where players would advertise their shop on RSOF and players could go purchase what was in the windows at PLAYER set prices. I liked the idea a lot, as players could be selling items while not present at the current location. AND FURTHERMORE it would force people to spend money on their PoH and thus drain the money out of the game ( it was needed at the time ).

However, this didn't happen, and the houses are basically there to look pretty / get prayer up / teleport places. And in return for a shop suggestion, we get the disastrous GE of unbuyable / unsellable items. SHAME

jd4mfinalsmal0jp.gif

Proper Daily blogging including Starcraft 2!

Includes goal for 80+ all stats

I'm still waiting for them to talk more about the Eastern Lands, as was promised in the February(?) BTS. So far, we haven't had anything related to it, besides the hairstyles. They said it would be this year when we heard more about "Ak-Haranu and the Eastern folk", but it seems to have gone by the wayside.

Anyway, talking about the POH subject. I think that a "Clan House" feature by which people that are members of your clan or on your friends' list could enter your house, even when you're not on. This would allow more people to use your house, and it would allow for uninterrupted clan meetings. Plus, you don't have to stand around inside your house while it's open. Parties are also easier to have in case you disconnect. It's a pain in the arse to spend 100M into your house with the idea that people can appreciate it, but you have to constantly stand around and do nothing in order for people to even train there.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Wow...looking back on that year makes me wish we had some epic updates like that this year.

The sour dough of the epitmous pie hungers for another's sweet lips to be dulled into a state of most irreverant humbleness

TUBULAR BELLS!

Randomly generated 'scenarios' or 'dungeons' is a huge concept, wouldn't be surprised if they had been working on this since they announced it and its still not ready.

However I think Jagex was getting ahead of their technology and even creative limits. Such a vague statement as 'randomly generated scenarios' is going to make players think of scenarios that are truly different and are never repetitive. Which has been attempted numerous times but has always been dull, or didn't meet the standard of randomly generated scenarios.

From a game play stand point there's a ridiculous amount of variables to evaluate for such scenarios. You have to consider what the goal of each scenario will be, or will there be multiple goals? If there's multiple goals, than that means there's going to have to be dozens of more sub-goals in each goal. Example, will you be assigned to kill monsters in this scenario, or will you be assigned to travel through a dungeon as fast as possible, or perhaps solve as many quests as you can before you run out of time...etc. There's such a huge variety of concepts for each goal or reasoning behind each scenario, that it's completely impossible to create and implement them in the game, since each concept would have to have randomly generated terrain, NPC's, items, dialog, rewards, back story, monsters, skills to be used or not used...etc. Applying each of these to each concept thought of, would require a some ridiculous man power or time devoted.

Then there's the fact that you couldn't hard code any of this, it would all have to be dynamic code to work properly and effectively.

Jagex would either have to have designed this feature for a long, long, long time or have advanced in their technology far enough that this wouldn't be such a daunting task to complete. I wouldn't count on this in the next three years or even ever.

Someone needs to play Stealing creation. It has all of those things except a random plot (a random plot sounds like a dumb idea). So how is this outside of there technology limits?

How hard is it to change what the goal is? Make a RNG that picks a number between 1-3. 1 is press X number of switches to beat the dungeon (X is decided by another RNG), 2 is kill X number of generated NPC's, and 3 is reach the end in X number of minutes.

There does not need to be "randomly generated plot, and dialog". All you need is one plot for the randomly generated dungeon. "This portal will take you into dimension Bla. Bla is realm corrupted by Zammorak, so his chaos is very evident there. Be careful there, because you won't know what to expect. I'm sure a brave adventure as yourself can handle this though! If you're lucky. There is some good treasurers to be found there, there's even rumored to be an orange party hat at the end! "

There, a plot that covers enough about the dungeon, and explain why it's random, and why you have incentive to go there.

Do you think random terrain is that hard? Have you ever heard of building map segments, then having the game randomly place them together? That's all they need to do to make random dungeons.

Prism_Swords.png