The Obligatory Ice Hockey Thread

Hawks

I was mentioning this to my dad the last time I was over watching hockey, since I'm an Oilers fan, I said whatever Detroit is doing with their prospects, Edmonton needs to take a page out of their book and develop all of these young players the right way.

As far as the final four are concerned, I would like to see a Penguins vs Hawks final just because it would be very run and gun style of play. Also the first time in 60-some odd years I think to be the last 4 cup winners facing each other in the conference finals.

I'd like to see the Oilers return to the "glory days" - and they certainly have the future talent-base with which to do it. All they need is more solid goaltending and one or two defencemen. It will be interesting to see how they proceed. They have solid prospects but it takes so long for goalies and defencemen to mature in the NHL.

Honestly, Detroit is amazing in how they've built that team and maintained it over the years. Someone over there has got his head on straight. I dunno who it is, but he should be well paid.

When the playoffs started, I was figuring on a Pittsburgh/Chicago final. That said, as of right now, with no games played as between the final four, I am leaning more towards a PIT/LA final.

The Bruins are still hurting on defence and, as good as Rask can be some nights, I don't see him as being able to withstand the onslaught that Pittsburgh can put up. I don't think Vokoun is gonna be a game stopper, but with that offence in front of him, all he has to do is not allow more than 3 goals a game and he should be a winner.

Chicago’s performance against Detroit showed some real holes in their offensive game. They’re not bringing it to the net in the way they need to be and if they don’t start bringing it, they’re not going to beat Quick more than once or twice a night. Crawford is probably good enough to hold LA to two goals against on any given night, so Chicago’s gotta get three a night to win consistently.

nyuseg.png

I'm not sold on the oilers. Huge question marks on D and goaltending...Everyone assumes their forward group is set just because of the high picks but those guys still have a lot to prove.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

With the Oilers bringing in Klefbom for next season, I really hope he has a good rookie year. He's spent the last 2 I think playing in the Swedish Elite League so it will be interesting to see his switch to the smaller ice.

What I saw from Dubnyk this year is that he's a solid starter, if he could have some decent play infront of him I think he could be a decent goalie at the very least. He had a decent save % this year at .920, and he faced the 6th most shots. If he can learn to not let in those extremely hated soft momentum sapping goals, and keep teams to 2 a night it would be a massive step forward for the Oilers.

I'm hoping they go out this summer and look to bring in some vet d-men, Mactavish said this year it would be safe to say there would be 8-10 new Oilers next season. I can see now that Khabibulin, Whitney, Peckham, Eager, Hordichuck gone at the very least and Horcoff with any luck. I really hope they take the compliance buyout and get rid of him.

It will be interesting to see who goes where this summer, but talk has been circulating around about Edmonton potentially being interested in Ryan Miller. Now that would be awesome to see, and as always since Jagr is on a 1 year deal again. I don't think Boston will re-sign him, so the possibility of him coming to play with Hemsky again pops up. Only time will tell I guess, MacT also said he'd be willing to look at trading their pick in the first round this year but only if the deal is right.

oaM0.png
fXPnd.png

As far as the final four are concerned, I would like to see a Penguins vs Hawks final just because it would be very run and gun style of play. Also the first time in 60-some odd years I think to be the last 4 cup winners facing each other in the conference finals.

Since 1945, so 68 years.

I'm disappointed the Kings are down 2-0. I hope they are at least able to put off a win or two and avoid a sweep.

Yeah they'll be fine. that series isn't over yet, not by a long shot. Wouldn't be surprised to see it go 7.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Why they don't treat puck over glass exactly like icing, I don't know. The offending team should have a faceoff in their zone and not be allowed to change. I honestly don't understand why it's a 2 minute penalty. At least it made for a funny song.

Anyway, I'm kind of hoping to see the Bruins stomp the Blackhawks in an Original 6 final. We should have a good final this year for the first time in recent memory.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

[spoiler=Nothing but class from the Windy City.]sodKA5q.jpg

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Well after that talking about the Oilers needing to teach their prospects the right away and develop them into something.. They fire their head coach and hire Eakins lol.

All these days off between games is killing me, hockey should not go this long into June.

oaM0.png
fXPnd.png

Boston in 6.

Hamtaro.png

Glad I got to see the Kings won at least 1. I've only ever paid the most minimal amount of attention to select west coast teams, so I have very little interest in Chicago or Boston, but I'm going to try and watch the rest of the series if I can.

tFtfA.jpg

The Grand Rapids Griffins are the 2013 Calder Cup Champions!

This is the first time any franchise in GR has brought home the hardware, so we're a little excited.

Oh my Lord, the Heat and Blackhawks in the same week. It's every bandwagoner's wet dream.

Anyway, congrats to the Hawks. I was at least glad to see the Red Wings gave them the biggest challenge. And it's also nice to see an MSU alum (Keith) hoist the Cup.

Hamtaro.png