The Obligatory Ice Hockey Thread

Hawks

Damn. Well, that trade had been speculated about forever.

I really do think we're eventually going to regret this...that said, philly doesn't exactly play great defense/have a good goalie either so it'll be interesting to see how he does.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Man I don't know how I feel about this.

Schenn was inconsistent at times, but I think he was definitely our strongest defensive defenseman (with the occasional offensive spark)

So, in exchange for a guy who could have developed into a franchise defender we get JVR. A guy who puts up decent, but definitely not first line, numbers, and who is a winger not a centre.

My thoughts exactly. Our best shutdown defenseman is now Mike Komisarek...some say that Korbanian Holzer may make the team, but even then he's never really played in the NHL.

Still, time will tell...

polvCwJ.gif

Glad about most of Detroit's signings but I don't know what to do with Tootoo. I hated the guy when he was a Penguin, and I still don't really like him... Wish I was going to be in GR this year to see the Swedish guy whose name I forget. Wondering who's going to be Joey's backup, hopefully it's Jordan. I'll be mad if they keep McCollum up.

Glad about most of Detroit's signings but I don't know what to do with Tootoo. I hated the guy when he was a Penguin, and I still don't really like him... Wish I was going to be in GR this year to see the Swedish guy whose name I forget. Wondering who's going to be Joey's backup, hopefully it's Jordan. I'll be mad if they keep McCollum up.

Tootoo played for the Preds actually, but yeah, I don't care for him very much either. I'm still hoping for Parise and Suter (despite their ridiculous contract offers).

As far as Jonas Gustavsson (the Sweedish goalie) goes, I wasn't really impressed by him when he played for Toronto, but maybe some of the dedicated Leafs fans here can shed some more light on him.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Gustavsson is the type of goalie to make very impressive saves off the rush and then let in a softy that just ruins your team's confidence and then lose the game.

I tried hard to support the guy while he was here, I actually defended him because I thought the criticisms were unfounded. His parents died recently so that could have affected his mental game. But yeah, he just wasn't very good. Hopefully he gets better in Detroit's system. He still has a very good potential and goalies "peak" tend to be later than any other position. I wouldn't put it past the Wings to turn him to a Brian Elliott or Mike Smith.

Plus the number of Swedes in Detroit will make him feel at home.

Creepy moment for me: dreamt we traded Jesse Blacker last night. I woke up super upset thinking it happened. Lol.

Gus could be good, was just so inconsistent. I wouldn't be surprised to see him do much better in detroit.

Some crazy bad contracts handed out..Jason Garrison, brandon prust, wtf?

polvCwJ.gif

Wings fan so I have to be disappointed but I'm not really. I'm more excited about our new guys and our guys that have been in the AHL for a while taking a step up and proving themselves in the NHL. I know Smith will do well, but that's only five d-men total at this point... I want to know why we're dropping Pyett, Ernhart, and Minard; they're all good quality guys, get them to stay because you're not spending millions on Parise/Suter. That said, I'd like to see Semin in a Winged Wheel.

Wings fan so I have to be disappointed but I'm not really. I'm more excited about our new guys and our guys that have been in the AHL for a while taking a step up and proving themselves in the NHL. I know Smith will do well, but that's only five d-men total at this point... I want to know why we're dropping Pyett, Ernhart, and Minard; they're all good quality guys, get them to stay because you're not spending millions on Parise/Suter. That said, I'd like to see Semin in a Winged Wheel.

I don't think Semin will fit under Babcock. Wonder what's the chances of him bolting back to Russia.

Stalking Red Wings development camp, so jealous that I'm not in Traverse. Smith is definitely starting the season with the Wings, and we've still got Lashoff and a couple other good dmen we could see finish the year with the Wings... I'm pretty happy with the way things are going.

Stalking Red Wings development camp, so jealous that I'm not in Traverse. Smith is definitely starting the season with the Wings, and we've still got Lashoff and a couple other good dmen we could see finish the year with the Wings... I'm pretty happy with the way things are going.

Do you expect Wings to trade for a defenseman? I know a couple Wings fans who don't like the current blueline

Nashville is screwed this season. They lost Suter, Tootoo, Radulov, and now Weber. All that's left is Rinne pretty much and, as Montreal demonstrated last season, a good goalie alone won't get a team very far at all.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato