The Obligatory Ice Hockey Thread

Hawks

Unless Murray is available at #5, I don't see any point in drafting a d-man. We're already really deep at the position, and any d-man ranked that high is probably not all that far away.

I hope we draft either Galchenyuk or girgensons, but we'd probably want to drop to take girgensons.

Also, lol:

How bad does your goaltending situation have to be for you to think You know, I should call up the Flyers for help.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Most people probably feel that way. In fact I'm sure a lot of people will complain and ask for Burke to get fired if he drafts a dman.

But this draft reminds me of the 2008 draft. If you redraft the first two rounds there were only a couple of prospects that turned out to be good forwards and the majority turned out to be decent blueliners. Doesn't help that Grigorenko reminds me of Filatov. I remember Leaf fans wanted Filatov over Schenn then too, lol.

Most people probably feel that way. In fact I'm sure a lot of people will complain and ask for Burke to get fired if he drafts a dman.

But this draft reminds me of the 2008 draft. If you redraft the first two rounds there were only a couple of prospects that turned out to be good forwards and the majority turned out to be decent blueliners. Doesn't help that Grigorenko reminds me of Filatov. I remember Leaf fans wanted Filatov over Schenn then too, lol.

Yeah I remember that. We picked Morgan Reilly - would have preferred galchenyuk but I'm happy with it.

Also, J. Staal to carolina to sutter, 8th overall, and dumoulin. The big three are no more!

Very interesting draft thus far.

polvCwJ.gif

Eh. I can see why they picked him, the remaining forwards are definitely risky picks.

I don't think it's a pick that really fills a need on the team (although hopefully he breaks the Leafs tradition of picking up d men who have bad hands, make bad decisions and take too many penalties)

I think they'll be looking to make a trade for a big forward before the season starts, but don't think it'll happen

8 of the top 10 picks are defencemen. If every team went BPA that means there wasn't a 3rd forward worth picking in the top 10.

Well both forsberg and grigorenko are gone now, to wsh and buf respectively...really opens up from here now.

polvCwJ.gif

buffalo got grigorenko, not faksa..and yeah, me jelly :(

not sure if i'd rather have grigs or faksa. that's great for the sabres.

It's not really like we don't have centers, just that we don't have a real #1.

i know but you have to gamble at some point. it's easier to get a #1C if you draft in the 1st round. kopitar, kesler, getzlaf, richards, giroux, etc. non-top 5 picks that became 1st line Cs. can't keep drafting wingers and dmen.

I can see why they took reilly. To be honest, grigorenko and faksa aren't going to be ready for at least two years, at which point who knows what happens..maybe Kadri or colborne is 1c by then.

polvCwJ.gif

Yeah that was funny. Not sure who I want the leafs to take at this point. Nothing specific in mind, I just hope they don't take a goalie till at least the fifth if they do take a goalie.

polvCwJ.gif

Oscar Dansk is the only goalie I know of that is expect to go early in the 2nd round.

I think Burke will opt for "truculence" in the 2nd round. Rielly is talented but he's not a prototypical Burke pick. I'm expecting a power forward like Kerdiles.

Honestly wouldn't be disappointed if he goes for another skill pick and get Collberg (ranked 3rd euro skater), Frk or Marcantuoni (TO native).

Then again he can shock us again and draft a dman lol.

I'd be surprised if he takes a d-man lol. I know he always says BPA but it's such a tossup in the later rounds that I think drafting a forward makes sense. We have so much young d now...we already have an excess and it's only getting worse unless we move out some bodies.

polvCwJ.gif

so he does take a dman. Matt Finn. TSN had him going #20 overall so another BPA pick. I hate Pierre McGuire but he's probably the best TV analyst of prospects since he was a scout himself and he had Finn going to the Caps @ 16.

Leafs cupboard is filled to the brim with dmen now. Insane depth. But these guys won't be playing for another 2-3 years. If Schultz comes to TO that's like drafting another top 10 dman in this draft except he can play next season.

I understand why Burke is doing this though. Toronto was 6th in the conference in goals for, but was just above Tampa for being the worst in allowing goals. Tampa probably had the worst defense next to Edmonton last season.

Next things we can discuss are the free agency on July 1 and the lockout :lol: Maybe some potential trades. Schenn to Philly for JVR. I'm fine with that if we get Schultz.

mcguire is incredibly annoying, but very knowledgeable when it comes to prospects.

I really hope we don't trade schenn, I think we'd end up regretting in enormously if we did. JVR is a nice piece, but a big risk....

Also going to be very interesting to see what happens with Schultz.

polvCwJ.gif

I would like to congratulate my old friend, Pat Sieloff, on being drafted 42nd overall to the Calgary Flames :thumbsup:

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

I know what you mean about Schenn. I think any Leaf fan who likes physical hockey fell in love with Schenn. But if he doesn't improve defensively next season there's a couple guys in the Marlies who can step in and take his spot.

But yeah, he deserves a chance under Carlyle.