The Obligatory Ice Hockey Thread

Hawks

• 3 weeks later...

leafs had a good run. really good series against boston but I think this outcome was a foregone conclusion. hoping they can force a game 6 at least

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Nice to see these interesting original-6 match-ups between the Bruins/Rangers and Wings/Hawks.

I didn't realize it, but TSN was saying that the Bruins and Rangers have not played a play-off series against each other in nearly 40 years? :unsure:

nyuseg.png

That SHG by Alfredsson was crazy. So glad the Senators won, watching Cindy Crysby lose is very satisfying.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

In other news, my bracket is still perfect.

lAzoj6b.png

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

As much as I would love for the Wings to bring the Cup home, I seriously doubt it. At this point, I'll be happy as long as Chicago or San Jose don't win the Cup.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

As much as I would love for the Wings to bring the Cup home, I seriously doubt it. At this point, I'll be happy as long as Chicago or San Jose don't win the Cup.

Last nights game would have been vastly different had Howard not choked on the Penalty Shot like usual, though I think awarding a penalty shot to begin with was a pretty weak call. But don't take what I'm saying as an insult toward Howard, I think he's easily one of the top 3 goalies in the league, he just has a record for bellying up in clutch situations like that. They look better then they did in Game 1 in the past 2 games, but still pretty bad, if they can recapture that same intensity from games 2-4, they should be in good shape come tomorrow night. Also, Abdelkader needs to calm his ass down.

Frolik made a great move...I don't think Howard choked at all.

@Blyaunte: I don't feel strongly about it. On the one hand, it may prevent some injuries...on the other hand, having less experience with checking leaves players more vulnerable at an older age when the size disparity between kids is different. I think when playing hockey one should accept that it's a dangerous game and there will always be injuries despite everyone's best efforts.

polvCwJ.gif

Hey boys! What's your take on the recent development from Hockey Canada about eliminating body checking at the Pee Wee level?

I, like obfuscator, don't have strong feelings for or against it. Apparently it has had some measure of success in Quebec, but only time will tell if it is the right move.

That's a shame about my bracket, especially after a questionable game 6, but what a solid post-season performance from the Red Wings! In a rebuilding year with a bunch of rookies and huge cap space, they not only made the playoffs, but took down a 2nd seed and took the President's Trophy winner to overtime in game 7. Unbelievable. So proud of my hometown team :thumbsup:. Watch out, eastern conference teams, Hockeytown is alive and kicking.

Hamtaro.png

That's a shame about my bracket, especially after a questionable game 6, but what a solid post-season performance from the Red Wings! In a rebuilding year with a bunch of rookies and huge cap space, they not only made the playoffs, but took down a 2nd seed and took the President's Trophy winner to overtime in game 7. Unbelievable. So proud of my hometown team :thumbsup:. Watch out, eastern conference teams, Hockeytown is alive and kicking.

Detroit is insanely well-coached, well-organized and well-funded. They have been and shall remain a dominant force in hockey for years to come. If there is anything that the Red Wings know about, it’s winning-- and winning in the playoffs especially. They are the very model of a great hockey organization – perhaps even a great professional sports organization.

So - ok - final four match ups. Any predictions? What's the chances for an original six match up in the Stanley Cup final?

nyuseg.png

Detroit is insanely well-coached, well-organized and well-funded. They have been and shall remain a dominant force in hockey for years to come. If there is anything that the Red Wings know about, it’s winning-- and winning in the playoffs especially. They are the very model of a great hockey organization – perhaps even a great professional sports organization.

So - ok - final four match ups. Any predictions? What's the chances for an original six match up in the Stanley Cup final?

Not to sound complacent but I'm extremely pleased with how Detroit performed this year considering the number of vital people they lost in the past two years alone; of course I'd have loved to see them finish off Chicago in game 5. This off-season we will see a big focus on people that can make an immediate impact for us but I know we'll see a lot of the fresh faces we saw this year come back next year. The amount of experience they gained from 14 playoff games is immeasurable. Obviously it exposed some glaring holes where lines can be restructured and people that need to level their heads and stop with the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde performance (Smith) but it will help us immediately and in the long run. I'm excited for the future of Detroit, we're at a point where Babcock kind of has a team that's definitely all his own and there's really no players from the Bowman era (obviously not saying that in a negative manner because look at the work they did with him as a coach. But Babcock is truly one of the great coaching minds in the league, and has that uncanny ability to bring out the best performances in even his "weakest" players.

I'm glad chicago won, I think CHI/LA is a much more interesting matchup than DET/LA.

Interesting year for the final four....it's been a while since all 4 of the remaining teams were powerhouses who were expected to make it.

I'm thinking a CHI/PIT final, which would be amazing.

polvCwJ.gif

I was mentioning this to my dad the last time I was over watching hockey, since I'm an Oilers fan, I said whatever Detroit is doing with their prospects, Edmonton needs to take a page out of their book and develop all of these young players the right way.

As far as the final four are concerned, I would like to see a Penguins vs Hawks final just because it would be very run and gun style of play. Also the first time in 60-some odd years I think to be the last 4 cup winners facing each other in the conference finals.

oaM0.png
fXPnd.png