The Obligatory Ice Hockey Thread

Hawks

I caught the first period, and the last minute of the third. Crazy to think an 8th seed is dominating a 1st seed like this. Doesn't really happen in other sports, at least ones I follow regularly. I don't necessarily have a favorite out of the two as I'm a bit particle to both teams, but I am enjoying the series.

tFtfA.jpg

From what I've seen of all the vancouver/LA games, Van has been the better team. At any rate, I'm not surprised that putting Schneider in for Luongo didn't help, Luongo had been fine both games imo.

And yeah, I love the NHL. It's not like some sports where the early rounds are just for show - and team really can win.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Wow, Thomas with 29 saves and Chara with 2 assists and a goal. With the Pens (most likely) out of the picture, a repeat is a very real possibility. Still hoping for a Boston/Philly series again :pray:.

Also, these made me laugh:

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Haha yeah. The playoffs started a few days ago.

So far it looks like Vancouver and Pittsburgh are both out of the first round for sure. :(.

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

No excuses tonight. The only mistake made by the refs against Detroit was missing a Nashville defensemen's hand in their crease to grab the puck and not giving a penalty shot. Literally every other call went Detroit's way and we still could only manage 1 goal. Rinne is a beast.

Edit: Never liked Hossa, but no one deserves that. I hope he's alright :ohnoes:.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Seven minutes into the second period, it's already 6-3 pittsburgh, and Bryz has been pulled.

Lavi just called his timeout though, so I'm sure philly will have a three goal lead by the end of the period.

polvCwJ.gif

Seven minutes into the second period, it's already 6-3 pittsburgh, and Bryz has been pulled.

Lavi just called his timeout though, so I'm sure philly will have a three goal lead by the end of the period.

Nvm, it's 9-3 pittsburgh now..

polvCwJ.gif

Is the league perhaps trying to make hockey reach a wider audience in the U.S.? Call me crazy, but I think there's something fishy going on with this series... So it starts out with a pathetic looking line brawl between the two teams right before the playoffs began. Then there's the "Battle of Pennsylvania" being pushed onto us by every outlet of sports related news. Next there was the constant fighting between the two teams with players being thrown out left and right. Even Crosby has started two fights when he normally is too afraid to fight...

Next thing we know, the favorite to win the Stanley Cup is down by 3 games. Now we have the most goals scored in the first 4 playoff games EVER and the Penguins have 10 goals in a single game. If the Penguins win by 8, both teams are tied for goals scored. The only way this could become more dramatic would be if the Penguins became the 4th team to ever come back from a 3-0 deficit to win the series. If that happens, I believe my suspicion is completely reasonable.

Hamtaro.png

Hate to break it to you, but your suspicion is ridiculous.....Crosby has always been fairly chippy for being a star...

Both these teams have had defensive and goaltending problems for a while, although masked...this was only a matter of time, although I certainly didn't expect it to be anything like this.

polvCwJ.gif

No need to hate to break it to me - I really hope that you're right. I've always found the NHL to be a no-BS kind of sports organization. It really sticks out among the rest, you know? I'd really hate to see anything suspicious going on. I just find it so hard to believe that a goalie who was in the all-star game (and a starter iirc) last year has easily given up so many goals this series.

Hamtaro.png

Ehh...ask any pens fans, they'll tell you that fleury has slumps like this with some frequency. Of course, this one's happened at the worst possible time..

polvCwJ.gif

Canucks just scored 2 fast goals. Let's hope they can hold together in the third!

Also - good job to Ottawa for winning in OT. :D.

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

Congrats to the Predators. Obviously disappointing for Detroit, but Nashville proved themselves to be the superior team. Really sucks to be the first team to be eliminated, though. Good luck to them through the rest of the playoffs, not that Rinne really needs it.

Now to root for the Blues and 'Yotes the rest of this round...

Hamtaro.png

I highly doubt he'll retire after this season. I'm pretty sure he would like to beat the Leafs at the Big House next year :wink:.

Hamtaro.png

Sharks are out :thumbsup:. Also glad to see my conspiracy theory about the Pens was totally wrong. Congrats to Philly on earning that huge win today.

In non-NHL news, one of my old middle school buddies just won a gold medal with the U18 USA hockey team. He's supposed to be taken in the third or fourth round of the 2012 NHL draft.

Hamtaro.png

Goodbye Vancouver ... :(. Sad loss. That game had a lot of broken sticks as well. Lol.

It's all up to Ottawa now.

4K469.png

With San Jose and Chicago out, all is right with the hockey world. Cheering for Original Six and Central Division teams for the time being.

Great call about Phoenix, obfuscator :thumbup:.

Hamtaro.png

With San Jose and Chicago out, all is right with the hockey world. Cheering for Original Six and Central Division teams for the time being.

Great call about Phoenix, obfuscator :thumbup:.

Thanks. Very happy to see them finally win a round...and I think they'll give Nashville a good run too...

polvCwJ.gif