The Obligatory Ice Hockey Thread

Hawks

I don't think he'll be fired.

Yeah it was premature, but it the beginning of the end for Wilson. When all of the media, fanbase is calling for your job, the GM will eventually be forced into doing it. Burke can only hold off the hounds for so long.

7-0

Umad Florida?

Was an interesting game to say the least. First two periods were quite good with both teams playing well. Pavelec made a few great stops to keep the lead. Then the Jets just blew it open with a 5 on 1 rush to put them up 4-0 and just never looked back.

Was Wilson doing anything particularly inept or was he just the scapegoat for a collection of problems? I haven't watched very many Leafs games this season, so I can't really make an accurate judgment.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Was Wilson doing anything particularly inept or was he just the scapegoat for a collection of problems? I haven't watched very many Leafs games this season, so I can't really make an accurate judgment.

Just a scapegoat, like the majority of fired coaches are. I don't expect RC to make any significant difference.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Just a scapegoat, like the majority of fired coaches are. I don't expect RC to make any significant difference.

Randy Carlyle is a much better coach than Ron Wilson IMO. If Randy can't get the job done then I think Burke is next.

25zhwts.png

[email protected] - EoS Former Leader - Message if you need anything

Randy Carlyle is a much better coach than Ron Wilson IMO. If Randy can't get the job done then I think Burke is next.

I disagree, but whatever. I'd love to be proven wrong...

polvCwJ.gif

I disagree, but whatever. I'd love to be proven wrong...

There's an awful lot of issues with this Leaf team that I don't think ANY coach is going to fix. They're woefully short on quality players at this point in time. They need a solid #1 goaltender -- plus more depth in goal, and they need to do SOMETHING about their gad-awful defence.

When Dion Phaneuf is your team captain and purported #1 defenceman, you've got problems. He makes the same stupid mistakes, night in and night out, he never learns from them and he's always hanging his goalie out to dry as a result of it. What mistake? It's that same stupid play he makes when he pinches at the opposing blue line to try and make that big hit, and then gets caught with his pants down, misses the hit, and it results in an odd-man rush going the other way. It's like clock-work too. You know he's going to do it - you come to expect it. The opposition does too.

For whatever reason no one's been able to get him to stop doing it. That was why Calgary was so glad t be rid of him and Ron Wilson either didn't know or couldn't get him to stop it.

Hopefully Carlyle can do, but I suspect he won't be able to either ...

<_<

nyuseg.png

Actually, Wilson encouraged his d-men to pinch, and out of all of them Phaneuf got caught the least imo.

I still don't see DP as THE guy on defense..he'd be better off as a 1b defender rather than a 1A.

But yeah, we still have holes. Hopefully Reimer is just suffering from a sophomore slump, and regains his form next season. We do have lots of prospect depth in net as well, but it remains to be seen how many of those actually pan out as NHL goalies...

polvCwJ.gif

We need to keep losing, we are currently slotted to pick 6th, might as well go down to 3rd. Bring it Habs we want your 15th spot.

There's no way Habs aren't finishing 15th.

Grigorenko here you come!

hiccup.png

Rofl isnt it funny that most of the people posting on this thread all cheer for mediocre teams. I think we can unanimously agree that 2011-2012 season = suck fest.

It blew/blows chunks thats for sure. Habs go from Eastern playoff finals material to a team in reconstruction in only 2 seasons? What garbage.

hiccup.png

I was sure this was our year, too.

Still, I think we are trending up, and with the right fixes this summer we should be a playoff team next year.

Although I guess that's what I said this summer too :(

polvCwJ.gif