GJ09: Best UK Dev goes to...

Wingless

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why are people callin it controversial at all? Sure, some of the runners up had better graphics, but runescape has millions more players than those other studios will ever have. People attribute jagex's win to it's massive fanbase. That's correct. believe it or not, the company with the most fans who will vote them are usually the winners of these types of awards. if they want to avoid the controversy of a "popularity contest", they should make the award selected by a committee rather than the players.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

why are people callin it controversial at all? Sure, some of the runners up had better graphics, but runescape has millions more players than those other studios will ever have. People attribute jagex's win to it's massive fanbase. That's correct. believe it or not, the company with the most fans who will vote them are usually the winners of these types of awards. if they want to avoid the controversy of a "popularity contest", they should make the award selected by a committee rather than the players.

Here's the reason why it's controversial: Jagex is not well liked.

Amongst the gamer community, Runescape is the butt of jokes. Jagex's decisions are often mocked, their customer support is infamous, and the free trade removal is surprising well known.

Edit: I'd also like to point out that this was almost rigged. As pointed out above, both Lion's Head and Rockstar North are console game's. Runescape is not. Runescape has far more non-paying members who are capable of clicking on a link to vote for Jagex. Hell, Jagex has posted, at least twice, about the competition on the front page. Whereas the other companies really don't have that option- only superdedicated fans will visit their website. I'm a hardcore Nintendite, and I don't even visit their site, so that's saying something.

The worst part is the F2P aspect of this. Whereas GTA and Fable require a console and the game itself, Runescape has a free aspect, is online, and can be played in your browser. Ergo, the other two companies have more gamers while Jagex is funneling in pre-teens to vote for them.

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

^I was right *notshocked*

It's not like anyone couldn't see this coming. They made it so that whoever had the most web votes won... gee I wonder who'd win, the people whose game is bought, and then the costumer will probably never interact with them again, or the ones whose game requires their customers to go onto their website. Did you serisouly just blame Jagex for using that advantage? I'd blame the reward makers if I were you, they should've seperated console and internet makers.

The worst part is the F2P aspect of this. Whereas GTA and Fable require a console and the game itself, Runescape has a free aspect, is online, and can be played in your browser. Ergo, the other two companies have more gamers while Jagex is funneling in pre-teens to vote for them.

Wow, did you seriosuly just turn one of Runescape's best qualities, its supreme cheapness and accesibility, against Jagex??

Amongst the gamer community, Runescape is the butt of jokes. Jagex's decisions are often mocked, their customer support is infamous, and the free trade removal is surprising well known.

I'd actually like you to back that up now, and additionaly provide evidence that whoever said that was aware that they have hundreds of thousands of often immature and whiny players, some of whom are completely misuing the support they're given; and that they understand RWT almost ruined Jagex financially and was degrading the quality of the game for many of its players.

When you go feather dragon god, you never go back.

Wow, did you seriosuly just turn one of Runescape's best qualities, its supreme cheapness and accesibility, against Jagex??

No, he merely is pointing out a major bias and error in the poll. He does not suggest that is neccessarily a terrible thing, but in the context of this poll it's a major issue.

I'd actually like you to back that up now, and additionaly provide evidence that whoever said that was aware that they have hundreds of thousands of often immature and whiny players, some of whom are completely misuing the support they're given; and that they understand RWT almost ruined Jagex financially and was degrading the quality of the game for many of its players.

You do realize that those last points are completely irrevelant, save for your belief that they are unfounded, and you are attempting to use "stronger" points to legitimize your belief that Runescape is not made fun of. Runescape is frequently ridiculed; I know that from observation on other video game boards. Runescape is not held in high opinion, to say the least.

No, he merely is pointing out a major bias and error in the poll. He does not suggest that is neccessarily a terrible thing, but in the context of this poll it's a major issue.

It's still not Jagex at fault. Console games and internet could've been seperate. Jagex had a bleeding obvious advantage, why should they not have?

You do realize that those last points are completely irrevelant, save for your belief that they are unfounded, and you are attempting to use "stronger" points to legitimize your belief that Runescape is not made fun of. Runescape is frequently ridiculed; I know that from observation on other video game boards. Runescape is not held in high opinion, to say the least.

I mean as in other gaming companies/employees, which is what I think Ravenkana was asserting (he mentioned Jagex's decisions, not game content). RS is not held in high opinion probably because it does attract younger audiences, that Jagex has to then appease... The fact that they believe RS should be runnable on truly ancient computers doesn't help the graphics and whatnot all that much either.

We're also not mentioning FunOrb, here. It has tens of thousands of paying members, and has some of the highest quality casual games on the internet (in their respective genres). It gets almost 70k page visits a day over 250k unique page visits a month.

I have no such belief.

It's still not Jagex at fault. Console games and internet could've been seperate. Jagex had a bleeding obvious advantage, why should they not have?

That's completely true, if you take the literal meaning of the reward with a grain of salt. But you blew the point Ravenkana was adressing far out porportion to the point where you implied he was directly insulting Jagex; you we're being unfair on Ravenkana(sorry, way too tired to actually scroll down and look it up)

I mean as in other gaming companies/employees, which is what I think Ravenkana was asserting (he mentioned Jagex's decisions, not game content). RS is not held in high opinion probably because it does attract younger audiences, that Jagex has to then appease... The fact that they believe RS should be runnable on truly ancient computers doesn't help the graphics and whatnot all that much either.

No, Revankana explicitly said "the gamer community", not their developers. And Runescape is also held in contempt for gameplay attributes as well; do not try the "people only hate Runescape because of the graphics/players" argument. And Runescape's enjoyability, along with most MMORPG's, is dependant on player to player relations, so having a poorer (not finically, before you misread that) community could significantly affect game play in a negative way.

We're also not mentioning FunOrb, here. It has tens of thousands of paying members, and has some of the highest quality casual games on the internet (in their respective genres). It gets almost 70k page visits a day over 250k unique page visits a month.

Well, that's your opinion. :roll:

If it's the just gamer community, then it should hardly matter. Each company or game targets different audiences, so I don't really care what the rest of the gamer community thinks about RS. Different games have different players, and players from one game disliking another does not impact the legitimacy of the players of that game's enjoyment. Ravenkana bringing that up all the time annoys me, as well as the fact that his only existence on this forum seems to be beating on Jagex for anything (including advertising FO on RS).

. . . so having a poorer (not finically, before you misread that) community could. . .

Oh bloody hell, my reading comprehension is no where near as terrible as you think it is.

If it's the just gamer community, then it should hardly matter. Each company or game targets different audiences, so I don't really care what the rest of the gamer community thinks about RS. Different games have different players, and players from one game disliking another does not impact the legitimacy of the players of that game's enjoyment.Ravenkana bringing that up all the time annoys me, as well as the fact that his only existence on this forum seems to be beating on Jagex for anything (including advertising FO on RS).

Exactly.

Just because you guys hate on Jagex does not mean everyone does. Your opinion =/= others' opinions.

Gosh, I wish these kind of flame wars stop already...

(PS. I was directing to Ravenkana and AlexRose.)

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

this is seriously got to be a joke...its worse then obama winning the 2009 Nobel Peace.

"Worse than HITLER."

Oh. That reminded me of the Urban Dictionary definition which used to say something along the lines of "RuneScape has more of a chance of taking over the world than Hitler did."

And as for the whole major ridicule on the internet deally... Well, look at the exact same site. 5+ pages of nothing but bad definitions for RuneScape.

And as for the actual topic, yayayaya, JaGEx, good job! Even though I should add the exact same few points that several already have here. Although I do wonder how close it was... Hasn't GTA (at least 3?) been out longer than RuneScape and on consoles and PC... Yeah, it does cost more, as a one-off cost anyway, but GTA likely has more widely spread recognition outside of the 'web. And how many of the so-called majority of RuneScape so-defined as 11-13 F2P'ers do you people think actually voted? As I remember it, you actually had to sign up to vote, which turned me off of it. :thumbdown: (Not that it would have likely mattered anyway.)

2dgucz6.png

What I mean by the Hitler comment was that AW was comparing things that are simply incomparable.

Funny that Obama winning the NPP was better for him/her. The tone suggests s/he's not very fond of Obama...

It's a game, take a chill-pill.

What I mean by the Hitler comment was that AW was comparing things that are simply incomparable.

Funny that Obama winning the NPP was better for him/her. The tone suggests s/he's not very fond of Obama...

It's a game, take a chill-pill.

Oh, don't worry, I am perfectly chilled. And I know your meaning. And I am perfectly aware of RuneScape being a game.

It is simply that the use of 'Hitler' in a loose association to 'RuneScape' reminds me that "RuneScape has a better chance of taking over the world than Hitler did."

2dgucz6.png

Oh, don't worry, I am perfectly chilled. And I know your meaning. And I am perfectly aware of RuneScape being a game.

It is simply that the use of 'Hitler' in a loose association to 'RuneScape' reminds me that "RuneScape has a better chance of taking over the world than Hitler did."

Well, if Runescape did take over the world...

I dunno what would happen actually. :unsure:

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

Why does the flaming involve Obama, Hitler, and bastards?

Well, obviously it includes bastards :roll:.

If you aren't happy about it, fine. If you're happy about it, fine. If you don't give a [cabbage], I already like you. Get over it, there's always next year.

disturbeda.png

Why does the flaming involve Obama, Hitler, and bastards?

Well, obviously it includes bastards :roll:.

If you aren't happy about it, fine. If you're happy about it, fine. If you don't give a [cabbage], I already like you. Get over it, there's always next year.

Don't worry, those bastards are just butthurt people that were disappointed that GTA/Fable/whatever didn't win.

Or, they just like scolding Jagex.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Not to take anything away from Jagex, but Lionhead deserved 1st, all their games are one of a kind and feature great story lines with extremely fun gameplay. Not just talking about Fable here but Black & White 2 and others.

Anyway, grats to Jagex, although the nature of RS as a browser based game adds significant bias to this result.

slayermask3.png

A Draconic Guide V1.4, Fimer - Multi-Timer Farming Timer V3.

Dragon Boots: 39|Abyssal Whips: 16|Dark Bows: 1|

If it's the just gamer community, then it should hardly matter. Each company or game targets different audiences, so I don't really care what the rest of the gamer community thinks about RS. Different games have different players, and players from one game disliking another does not impact the legitimacy of the players of that game's enjoyment.Ravenkana bringing that up all the time annoys me, as well as the fact that his only existence on this forum seems to be beating on Jagex for anything (including advertising FO on RS)

Ravenkana did not in anyway mention his own opinion towards Runescape, unlike me. He merely addressed why it was a contervertial result, and why the poll was biased. You are basing your arguments off the assumption that we dislike Jagex and we are part of the group Ravenkana described. Just because I (it would be unfair to assume Revankana thinks this as well) do not believe Jagex deserves an award doesn't mean I do not enjoy the game.

Oh bloody hell, my reading comprehension is no where near as terrible as you think it is.

I'm sorry if you took that as an insult. That phrase has been misread by less observant users before, so I just wanted to be safe. That would have made for quite an amusing tangent, wouldn't it?

Or, they just like scolding Jagex.

Or maybe they think it's important to be realistic, rather than instantly favoring Jagex or scolding them. I'm not arguing simply for the sake of arguing, if that's the impression you are recieving from me.

But remember, in a poll it's Quantity>Quality.

And that's exactly why this award is completely meaningless.

Rather funny reading through all these comments against Jagex, saying they didn't deserve to win. Well, as one company started up by very few people to grow over the past 9 years I think they most certainly deserved the win.

It's a wonderful attribute, but ultimately irrvelant. The ammount of players and expansion does not directly corralate between the quality of the design and development of a game, especially when Runescape has a huge availability advantage, completely irrevelant to the actual gameplay, by default.

If so many people went out of their way (In reality) to cast their votes for Jagex well then you should stop moaning. They've built up a good fanbase/customer base so that these generous people would vote for them.

And again, the method the award used was akin to walking into Mecca on any given day, polling random people with the questio "Are you Muslim?", and then attributing the results of that poll to the entire world.

I've played all the GTA's since they were pretty much released. But I am still playing RuneScape since I started, GTA got boring after several months. Don't you see?

Because a person on a Runescape board's opinion is completely representative of rest of the gaming community. I'm not trying to be mean or degrading, but that's not a supporting point at all; and would be for any other person, includin myself.