H1N1 Vaccine

RpgGamer

To clarify, I'm only against vaccinating myself since I'm not in a risk group (well, I am, but only at risk for getting it). My mom seems to buy into the swine flu is going to kill healthy adults. No, it's not.

However, I do think that children, elderly, and people with weakened immune systems etc should definitely get vaccinated.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goddammit, I took the vaccine the other day. It also hurts more than the regular flu vaccination. It has more of a burning sensation.

Six hours after I got the vaccine I was chilling with some friends at somebody's house when I started feeling funny, and I suddenly go extremely cold, like a really bad fever spell. Luckily two girls volunteered to lay on top of me as I was shaking on the couch, but it passed in 10 minutes and I was perfectly healthy and drinking again 2 hours later. I could only imagine the state I'd be in if I actually caught the flu... I don't like being out of commission for a week unlike a lot of people here.

hiccup.png

Goddammit, I took the vaccine the other day. It also hurts more than the regular flu vaccination. It has more of a burning sensation.

Six hours after I got the vaccine I was chilling with some friends at somebody's house when I started feeling funny, and I suddenly go extremely cold, like a really bad fever spell. Luckily two girls volunteered to lay on top of me as I was shaking on the couch, but it passed in 10 minutes and I was perfectly healthy and drinking again 2 hours later. I could only imagine the state I'd be in if I actually caught the flu... I don't like being out of commission for a week unlike a lot of people here.

I got the vaccine on Thursday, injectable. It burned for less than a second (the Type A burned for 30 minutes), my arm never got sore, I barely even felt the needle. Stop being wussies. I admit that the Type A gave me chills for a few moments after a few hours, but the H1N1 injection didn't bother me at all.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Why I am not getting the swine flu vaccine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URHhyP4lmQ4

That's like saying: "I never leave my house because there's a chance a plane could fall on me while I'm out for a stroll!"

Except a plane could still fall on your house and kill you. Actually, that makes it an even better analogy.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

That's like saying: "I never leave my house because there's a chance a plane could fall on me while I'm out for a stroll!"

Wow... She was so hot and successful, too... Not saying I wouldn't feel as bad if it was a fat person... Just saying...

But still, I'll agree with the above statement. I'll bet that more people have had even worse things happen to them after taking the normal flu shot. Still... that's sad...

Edit: Watch her become the greatest runner of all time, lol, because if that had happened to me, I'd be running 24 god damn 7.

guido_49.png

Except there is no proof whatsoever that the vaccination caused that. Correlation doesn't necessarily imply causation. Out of interest, I did a little calculation when I heard about that story the other day, and based on the 10 million or so shots used in the US so far and the 10,000 or so people affected by the most common form of dystonia (I think it may have been even more, but I'll use a conservative estimate), you'd expect about 1000 people who got the shot to have dystonia. Enough to make it plausible that this a completely chance event.

As for the topic in general, I agree with fastortoise. Just because it hasn't gone through clinical trials, it doesn mean that it was rushed or is unsafe. There would have been QC checks at all stages I'm sure, and you need to remember that there is a similar process every flu season to make a new vaccine againt the regular flu.

Having said that, I think the vaccine is probably best for those in at-risk groups. I'm not convinced it's deadly enough to justify whole-population vaccination programs.

Well I refuse to get the shot, not because I'm particularly "scared: of it, but because I believe that you should not get vaccinated for any disease that is not extremely fatal and contagious. I have gotten the flu shot for the past 2 years (because my mother pretty much kidnapped me for a routine "physical" But not that I am of age I refuse to ever get it again, you know why? Because all of this over medicating is just cause more powerful diseases to come about *cough* MERSA *cough*

Yes I am an asthmatic but I am in decent physical shape and am not really worried about the flu and whatnot. What does not kill makes you stronger! \:D/

-PS: I know MERSA came about from the over-abuse of antibiotics (as in you can get them for any stuffy nose) and the fact that its also from people not using them as directed (not finishing them) But it was an example

First of all, it's MRSA, not MERSA. Second, flu vaccinations don't cause antibiotic resistance (wrong on mechanism of action and target organism - I think this is new for me); that wound be over-perscription of antibiotics.

Except there is no proof whatsoever that the vaccination caused that. Correlation doesn't necessarily imply causation. Out of interest, I did a little calculation when I heard about that story the other day, and based on the 10 million or so shots used in the US so far and the 10,000 or so people affected by the most common form of dystonia (I think it may have been even more, but I'll use a conservative estimate), you'd expect about 1000 people who got the shot to have dystonia. Enough to make it plausible that this a completely chance event.

As for the topic in general, I agree with fastortoise. Just because it hasn't gone through clinical trials, it doesn mean that it was rushed or is unsafe. There would have been QC checks at all stages I'm sure, and you need to remember that there is a similar process every flu season to make a new vaccine againt the regular flu.

Having said that, I think the vaccine is probably best for those in at-risk groups. I'm not convinced it's deadly enough to justify whole-population vaccination programs.

Well I refuse to get the shot, not because I'm particularly "scared: of it, but because I believe that you should not get vaccinated for any disease that is not extremely fatal and contagious. I have gotten the flu shot for the past 2 years (because my mother pretty much kidnapped me for a routine "physical" But not that I am of age I refuse to ever get it again, you know why? Because all of this over medicating is just cause more powerful diseases to come about *cough* MERSA *cough*

Yes I am an asthmatic but I am in decent physical shape and am not really worried about the flu and whatnot. What does not kill makes you stronger! \:D/

-PS: I know MERSA came about from the over-abuse of antibiotics (as in you can get them for any stuffy nose) and the fact that its also from people not using them as directed (not finishing them) But it was an example

First of all, it's MRSA, not MERSA. Second, flu vaccinations don't cause antibiotic resistance (wrong on mechanism of action and target organism - I think this is new for me); that wound be over-perscription of antibiotics.

I think what the video was saying was that the girl had dormant dystonia, but the flu vaccine triggered it. And as for your final statement, there are theories floating around that say not giving the immune system enough "practice" can cause it to grow weaker. Probably a load of BS, but it's not outlandish by any means.

guido_49.png

Even though I'm in the high-risk group (teen with type 1 diabetes) I'm not getting it. If I get it, it's not going to kill me any worse than normal flu would. I don't trust the government as far as I can throw them these days. I know even if my mom or doctor or endo said I should get it I'd fight getting the vaccine. Luckily, none of them told me to get it (though my endo got it herself), and my doctor called to ask if I wanted it.

I've gotten a normal flu shot for the past 5-7 years every year. But I don't trust this H1N1 vaccine and I don't think it's necessary.

I think what the video was saying was that the girl had dormant dystonia, but the flu vaccine triggered it. And as for your final statement, there are theories floating around that say not giving the immune system enough "practice" can cause it to grow weaker. Probably a load of BS, but it's not outlandish by any means.

Whatever her claim is, I think it's still plausible for it to be a completely chance event and there's no evidence to suggest the vaccine caused her dystonia. By the way, what's dormant dystonia? I tried googling it and I couldn't find any solid info on it...

As for the second point, it's actually true that not giving the immune system enough practice causes it to grow weaker. An example of this is that antibodies don't last forever, hence why we need to get booster shots with some vaccines. What's your point here exactly? I'm having a hard time seeing it.

I knew a couple people with swine flu, one of them being my brothers friend. After finding out she had swine flu, her mom wouldn't let her take any medicines or let anyone leave the house. She was afraid of bringing more germs into the house and making it worse I guess...But she got over it in just a couple days naturally. All she did was drink lots of water and sleep a lot. I think people are making this out to be worse than what it is. I did hear that pregnant women can die from the vaccine though.

"There are times when silence has the loudest voice."

Whatever her claim is, I think it's still plausible for it to be a completely chance event and there's no evidence to suggest the vaccine caused her dystonia. By the way, what's dormant dystonia? I tried googling it and I couldn't find any solid info on it...

As for the second point, it's actually true that not giving the immune system enough practice causes it to grow weaker. An example of this is that antibodies don't last forever, hence why we need to get booster shots with some vaccines. What's your point here exactly? I'm having a hard time seeing it.

Try searching for a genetic condition that a person was born with, but wasn't triggered until an outside force intervened. I have a Tarsal Coalition that had been dormant until last year when a broken ankle caused inflammation in my foot, which caused further inflammation and messed with the nerves in my left foot. The girl could've had an allergic reaction that caused a similar thing to occur where her dystonia was "activated" after the shot. It's perfectly viable. I don't think that her dystonia was triggered right after she took the shot; seems a bit far fetched.

As for the point of my post, I was arguing for the sake of arguing, lol.

Edit to Jes: Anyone one that's young, pregnant, or old has a higher probability of dieing from the flu than a normal person in their 20's. Listing that fact as only being prevalent to the swine flu is just fear-mongering, which every news media I've seen today has done.

guido_49.png

I was one of the first to get the vaccine. [bleep] ya asthma.

Same.

I had it (diagnosed) late last spring.

For me, it was worse than flu I've had before. I was out for a week with high fever. Then, the next week I ended up with pneumonia or something and was gone for another week.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

1. Haha i figured that but when i googled it as MERSA a bunch of things and no spelling suggestion.

2. If you read my whole thing I stated that I knew that not how MRSA came about and that it was antibiotic resistance, it was an analogy

3. Cats

Sig

1. Haha i figured that but when i googled it as MERSA a bunch of things and no spelling suggestion.

2. If you read my whole thing I stated that I knew that not how MRSA came about and that it was antibiotic resistance, it was an analogy

3. Cats

Damn, very sorry about not reading your post properly. That was quite stupid of me.

I don't trust the H1N1 vaccine.

That disease might just be another one of those colds anyway.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I don't trust the H1N1 vaccine.

That disease might just be another one of those colds anyway.

It is just another flu really, it's just if you can avoid getting the flu with a jab, it seems stupid not to really. *shrugs*

Laziness and a bit of fear has stopped me having the annual flu jab, but I had it this year and it's just that easy, complications are so rare, you'd be more likely to get ran over on your way to the doctors.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I just heard a new theory that the H1N1 vaccine actually doesn't do much at all, and that we probably won't need one next year unlike any normal flu shot. Supposedly, the Swine Flu vaccine is just an attempt to stimulate the healthcare bill or something to that effect.

This I don't believe so much, but I still don't trust the vaccine.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

3. Cats

Damn, very sorry about not reading your post properly. That was quite stupid of me.

Meh no harm done I do it all the time. But yeah every day I get called from my uni to get the vaccine, apparently no is not an answer :shock:

Sig

All that is known about the vaccine at this point is... well, there really isn't any real information that has been provided to the public.

Do Flu Vaccines work?

I personally feel that you should never trust the government. Ever. Not saying that it's bad - it isn't.... just don't trust it. And (to me), an even less convincing argument is "but we can trust the big pharmaceutical companies, they wouldn't hurt us! They just want to sell us lots of harmless, expensive drugs, and if they call it a vaccine, and say that it's safe, it must be!"

Besides, I sincerely doubt that it even works: the reason that (all vaccines, but particularly when regarding influenza) they don't work is that the virus is changing constantly, but we're still using drugs that were developed months ago, and probably have been sitting around for a while since then.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

Okay, new for the thread again (I should really just edit first post but, whatever)

My science class is conducting a study on those taking the nasal inhalant version of the H1N1 vaccine. We're making surveys, collecting data...going the whole nine yards. Unforutnatly, I was volunteered to be the class guinea pig. Looks like I'll be getting vaccinated after all. I hope there aren't any adverse effects :fear:. I also heard there's a significant chance of memory loss after dosage. This could suck.

Well, if I suddenly stop posting, everyone here will know why.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn