Why this year hasn't been so bad

DarkDude

While some say that there's not been too much content this year, there has been a fair amount of it and most of that is of a high quality. However, all the 'upgrades' this year, when combined, make 2009 one of the best years of updates we've had, here's why.

The year started off with a bang when only the second update increased the logout timer to 5 minutes. This is a HUGE update to the game and it changes so much and makes everyone's lives that little bit easier. You make take this for granted now but the old logout timer was annoying and we just got used to it. Along with this update came the increase in the System Update timer to 10 minutes, which like the above, will be taken for granted but certainly helps out those who needed the extra time to finish what they were doing and get themselves to a safe place.

Now, still in January we had the update that added to the option to right click on PMs to reply to them, something which I personally use all the time and I assume most of you do too, no more having to switch tab to reply to PMs. Along with this update was a very small update, and the sort of update that when combined with similar ones, makes this year one of the best for the player. "The Slayer ring, combat bracelet and the skills necklace have had their 'delays' removed when operating them." A very, very small update as I said, however it's nuisances like that which have now been fixed making the game better overall.

From here on out I'll just post the updates that personally effect me in every day playing and I'd imagine effects a lot of you too without realising it. This is without going into the depths of the patch notes.

Magic Interface Sort, Random Event Update, Price-Checker, Quest-List Update, Deposit All, Route Finding Update, Renew Familiar, Spam Filter, Run Energy Update, Animation Update, Runetek 5, Spell Auotcast Update, Right click equipment update, 'redbars' fixed, Resizable UI update (see all stats at once), Fight Caves Disconnect update, auto-repick option, Confirmation on Alching, Fair Ring Autodial.

As I said, these are just the upgrades that I personally find beneficial in day to day playing that make the game 'easier' and more fun to play. That is not even touching the patch notes which include a hell of a lot more similar updates that. Then of course there has been the content updates to consider on top of that, a lot of them adding something to the game that is used day to day.

While it's true that most of those updates are very small and minor things and when you see them the week they come out you are sometimes left a little disappointed. However, when you combine them together, along with the patch notes and new content you'll be left with, in my opinion, one of the best years of updates we've had.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't played in over a year, but from witnessing all of the updates that Jagex has done to improve the game, it is certainly tempting to come back and play. As some of these annoyances were some of the factors that made me stop playing. I didn't get why I was playing a game that was out-dated and didn't permit you do to things easier, when I had other options available.

If the combat change they plan to do is as spectacular as they've made it seem, I'll be back for sure.

Though there's still the issue about going back and updating, and putting new life in old content, so that it is either usable, or is more than just a faceless quest/mini-game/item (which they have done, but not to the extent players would want so that they could go back and relive it). Still they have done a lot and they deserve a big thanks.

How can you forget the bank space update? It greatly benefited P2Pers going F2P!

And, mention the 1000 skill total worlds. I thought they were a nice addition.

I agree that this year is great.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

My own expansion. Note, this list is only made by looking at the headliners of the updates, usually the other news was just good or even better.

Seers village diary (Enchanted excalibur anyone?), ranged strength checkable, prayer update, high level agility, woodcutting, high level herblore, menagerie, adrougne diary and duel tournaments update (only if the current amount of people on reg 5 is permanent).

Conclusion: awesome updates!

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

The updates you name are great and all, but they should come along with bigger updates. And that's what I'm missing this year; big updates. Alot of updates this year were things you would forget about the day after.

This week I thought there would be a big update. If you look at the Twitter hint you should know why. They were very enthousiastic about this update for reasons unknown to me. They (somewhat) updated the Champions Challenge and made alot of minor changes (No idea why the haircuts weren't just put in "Other news" or the Patch Notes). I can very much enjoy these updates but they don't last long. An imp that follows you around with a banner is fun the first day but gets boring very quickly.

Also we haven't seen a decent quest in ages. Most of the quest JaGeX released this year were fillers or were not even done, but just ended half way through the quest (Curse of Arrav, anyone?). I enjoy RuneScape mostly because of it's quest because they feel like you don't have to do them like almost everything else in RuneScape. I now have a Quest Cape and I'm really waiting for that one quest that will blow my mind.

All in all, it's been a decent year (so far), but it's really not as great as you describe. Most of the updates that get frontpage news articles should be put in "Other news". Maybe JaGeX's view on what a big update is changed since MMG took 'control'.

Click here to check out my Youtube channel!

The updates you name are great and all, but they should come along with bigger updates. And that's what I'm missing this year; big updates. Alot of updates this year were things you would forget about the day after.

This week I thought there would be a big update. If you look at the Twitter hint you should know why. They were very enthousiastic about this update for reasons unknown to me. They (somewhat) updated the Champions Challenge and made alot of minor changes (No idea why the haircuts weren't just put in "Other news" or the Patch Notes). I can very much enjoy these updates but they don't last long. An imp that follows you around with a banner is fun the first day but gets boring very quickly.

Also we haven't seen a decent quest in ages. Most of the quest JaGeX released this year were fillers or were not even done, but just ended half way through the quest (Curse of Arrav, anyone?). I enjoy RuneScape mostly because of it's quest because they feel like you don't have to do them like almost everything else in RuneScape. I now have a Quest Cape and I'm really waiting for that one quest that will blow my mind.

All in all, it's been a decent year (so far), but it's really not as great as you describe. Most of the updates that get frontpage news articles should be put in "Other news". Maybe JaGeX's view on what a big update is changed since MMG took 'control'.

So, what was the last decent quest you saw? Which of the old updates were considered big for you?

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

I agree to a certain extent, although some the game content this year has been awesome (Herblore Update, The Achievement diaries, Living Rock Caverns). On top of that I have enjoyed the majority of the quests this year. Some 'bigger' updates would indeed be nice, and I believe we're going to get one before the year is out.

In my opinion, the game is much much more playable (and to me, that means it's more enjoyable) than it was a year ago. This to me is far more important than new content.

I couldn't agree more; I'd much rather have those updates to make everyday scaping easier than a bunch of new swords, armor or quests (don't get me wrong, I love those too :wink: ).

edit: you should add the new 'box sets' of vials, eye of newts, raw bird meats, ect. to your list.

bike.png

Suggest a poll for Tip.it - Here!

I think the new content for this year has been awful. Some of the Diaries were good, but the quests were all very short and many didn't advance the storyline of their respective quest chains, sans Chosen Commander. The Upgrades were fine, but I still contend that they should have been done in conjuction with regular content. I do not think the upgrades should have ever been updates, they should've been "In Other News." Sure, most of the new content has been very good, but none of it was great. All of the great updates this year were upgrades. No new piece of content this year can in my opinion be considered great. The closest would in my opinion have been The Chosen Commander quest. Also, I think a lot of the new content has also been either too plain, unoriginal, or uninspired. Case in point, Living Rock Caverns. It's a good update skillwise, but I found the story behind it, it's underwhelming release, the cave being flung out there with no other explanation, it just felt lazy. Same as the Agility upgrades. Sure, good skillwise, but they just added some obstacles on exisiting courses. Again, felt lazy.

I don't think the whole year has been awful. I'd just describe it as lackluster. Nothing to be excited about.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

How can you forget the bank space update? It greatly benefited P2Pers going F2P!

We got more bank space? :P

I think its been a great year, but nothing has been able to top While Guthix Sleeps from last year in my opinion.

That quest together with HD made last year one of the ones ive liked the most.

I think its been a great year, but nothing has been able to top While Guthix Sleeps from last year in my opinion.

Are you telling me that Runetek5 that let's me click on a vial in one tab and withdraws a death rune from something 3 tabs over, or simply doesn't withdraw it at all, isn't great? :shock:

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

Are you telling me that Runetek5 that let's me click on a vial in one tab and withdraws a death rune from something 3 tabs over, or simply doesn't withdraw it at all, isn't great? :shock:

I love doing that.

Nothing like having an outfit lined up nicely in one tab and clicking each item in order, only to have 3 runes, some random quest items and 2 of the items you actually wanted.

Theres been some fixes which really have helps and others which are nice to have.

However the bugs and issues RT5 created as well as more pressing older bugs still exist.

9/10 for improvements

4/10 for content

10/10 for changing there mind on an update every other day

Its a good year just the focus seems to be anywhere and everywhere.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

All of the great updates this year were upgrades. No new piece of content this year can in my opinion be considered great

I think that's actually the best thing about this year. Instead of mindlessly adding loads and loads of new content, they finally looked back at what's already here and started working and improving from these, a skill they lacked in the past.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

I totally agree, this year has been an awesome one :thumbsup:

I loved the new graphics update, and mobilising army ( that update was this summer, right? ) is now my favourite minigame.

Altough I still can't accept the new tweening-update on the dragon scimitar and dragon longsword, I must say that this have been a good year indeed. :smile:

Don_XiliFied.png

31640 to achieve 99 Firemaking on 30/10-09

XiliFied.png

Thanks Zokot for the amazing sig! Visit my Rc-blog and leave a post:)

I love doing that.

Nothing like having an outfit lined up nicely in one tab and clicking each item in order, only to have 3 runes, some random quest items and 2 of the items you actually wanted.

Theres been some fixes which really have helps and others which are nice to have.

However the bugs and issues RT5 created as well as more pressing older bugs still exist.

9/10 for improvements

4/10 for content

10/10 for changing there mind on an update every other day

Its a good year just the focus seems to be anywhere and everywhere.

I get that weird bank withdrawal thingy too, until I realised that it's better to click on the same spot at the first item you need, with the number of clicks based on how many items you're taking out. For those without placeholders anyway. \:D/

It's going to take some time before something can take over WGS + HD, at least I haven't seen any update this year. It's comparable to the changeover from RS Classic to RS 2, so I don't really compare this year's update to those and then conclude than 2009 is a bad year. I guess updates just come and go, there isn't exactly a very exciting update in RuneScape, since they trickle into the game in small packages and at pretty regular intervals. Lots of goals for me when I go back to member; high level herblore, agility, mining, the new ardougne diary all the way to elite, get myself a D pick, ten ravens, hopefully hunt my own amulet of ranging...

The quests this years are definitely better than quite a lot in the past though, both in terms of graphics, storyline and length. The only long quests I had in the past were those that makes you travel here and there to obscure locations, talk to obscure NPC for a part of an item, or puzzles with high failure rates. I spent more time travelling around than reading storylines.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

RuneTek5 is the one update this year that I really, really hate. Everything is messed up. Takes me three or four attempts just to move an item from one side of my inventory to the other. Outside of that, I've been generally happy with everything this year. Just wish they would focus on something other than PVP "improvements."

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

edit: you should add the new 'box sets' of vials, eye of newts, raw bird meats, ect. to your list.

...which had to be put in thanks to their asinine personal shops and the G.E.'s tight controls.
If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

...which had to be put in thanks to their asinine personal shops and the G.E.'s tight controls.

...which replaced the infinite shop stock.

...which replaced the limited shop stock prior to the removal of unbalanced trade, but bought up mostly by shop bots.

All in all, still great. :smile:

Zepheras.png

-F1775

The quests this years are definitely better than quite a lot in the past though, both in terms of graphics, storyline and length. The only long quests I had in the past were those that makes you travel here and there to obscure locations, talk to obscure NPC for a part of an item, or puzzles with high failure rates. I spent more time travelling around than reading storylines.

The length of the recent quests were everything but long. WGS (although one of a kind) took me hours and hours to complete with a guide. Most of the quest that were released this year could be completed in 30-60 minutes without a guide. This ofcourse based on my own experiences. They also lacked bosses, which is a good way to end a quest.

Also something that bugs me is that the official difficulty is based on the requirements (Within the Light was a Master quest) rather than the actual difficulty of the quest itself. This had nothing to do with this topic though. :P

I'm still waiting for that one huge update that will hopefully make complainers like me shut up. C'mon JaGeX, don't you guys have something up your sleeve?

Click here to check out my Youtube channel!

The length of the recent quests were everything but long. WGS (although one of a kind) took me hours and hours to complete with a guide. Most of the quest that were released this year could be completed in 30-60 minutes without a guide. This ofcourse based on my own experiences. They also lacked bosses, which is a good way to end a quest.

Also something that bugs me is that the official difficulty is based on the requirements (Within the Light was a Master quest) rather than the actual difficulty of the quest itself. This had nothing to do with this topic though. :P

I'm still waiting for that one huge update that will hopefully make complainers like me shut up. C'mon JaGeX, don't you guys have something up your sleeve?

30-60 minutes of talking to NPCs, completing small tasks, reading the background storyline is decent for me. You can't expect a boss in the quest when it's not part of the story, nor can you ask for a longer questing time if there isn't a giant puzzle to solve. Almost every quest we have can be completed within an hour, just that I spend time reading every single dialogue, clicking on all the possible dialogue options and generally enjoy a part of a long story that has yet to be.

Quests like sheep herder, Mourning Ends II, Underground Pass are your long quests, but they aren't that long in terms of storyline, instead you spend more or less 80% of the questing time doing a repetitive task. If players insist long quests all the time, we can always dump all the quest NPCs and items in the middle of Meiyerditch or an obscure room in the Temple of Light, but that defeats the purpose of the quests we had in RuneScape, which have storylines as the base for development.

Zepheras.png

-F1775