Why this year hasn't been so bad

DarkDude

They need some real high level content this year. Im holding out for the prayer update i hope it dosent suck.

PS: this weeks update was balls.

Does the Herblore update not count as high level? Or is level 95 too low level for you? Same with Agility and the Living Caverns update, that's 3 'high level' updates in a short space of time.

On top of that - Ardounge Elite Tasks and even Within the Light had fairly high requirements.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The updates you name are great and all, but they should come along with bigger updates. And that's what I'm missing this year; big updates. Alot of updates this year were things you would forget about the day after.

Just wanted to point out that this year was planned to be the update year.

f203f1850c.png

They need some real high level content this year. Im holding out for the prayer update i hope it dosent suck.

Does the Herblore update not count as high level? Or is level 95 too low level for you? ...

It was high level before it became Nerflore, now it's just more useless & unsalable pots.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

When Jagex revealed the RuneTek5 upgrade they said that it was like building a tower in the begining and just building more and more levels on top of it. Doing that it becomes weak and you have to go back and re-enforce it. If we take this and apply it to actual content it works much the same way. The old way jagex looked at things was more like a ladder, just build more and more rungs on the ladder without thinking about the lower ones. Now Jagex decided that, rather then having everything liniar and without much purpose to go back, they would breathe new life into the old content and even connect some otherwise seperate skills (living rock caverns anyone?). Now rather then a straight forward ladder I see the game more like the picture below.

33659502076b643454c3.jpg

A complex network of content that you can take seperate paths to get to. Wanted to get high mining and fishing back in the day? Go power mine iron or granite then go power fish at shilo. Now if you want high mining you can gind through 100k ores and fish, or you can go to the living rock caverns and have it all in the same place! Mining, Fishing, and even some combat in there. Jagex isn't giving us big new things at high levels, rather, they are giving us unique way to get to those levels for when they put in more content later. This turned skills from being a grindfest from lvl 1 to 99 so you could get the big shiny cape into something that you think about, "do I want to grind for 35k exp/hour or do I want to have fun for 30k exp/hour?"

tl;dr -> Jagex breathed new life into old skills and minigames so that we would have alternatives to grinding our way to the high leveled content that is inevitably coming.

REMEMBER - It does not matter that you are there, rather, it is how you got there.

I do too. I just spent 52m for 80-90 prayer, and any new prayer better be usable in PvP, or I will be mad. I mean, not only do people with high prayer spend tens or hundreds of millions, but prayer is already added onto our combat level.

The herblore update was BS. Really, it is fairly useless in comparison to what it was useful for before the removal of its uses in PvP. Sure, it will slightly speed up slayer xp, but not much, unless you pot everytime it drops down to 118. Sure it helps in FFA, until you realize that most corpie teams who FFA won't let you join if you have a high herb level. Sure agility armor is nice, until you realize that below 0 KG, negative weight doesn't help run energy deplete slower. Really, when are you running long distances with a full invy of heavy items where you also don't need armor outside of agility armor? Now, if you could combine these with bandos or barrows, it would be very useful for places like duo SGWD and getting to DKS, but outside of those, it really has very few uses. It also isn't really worth the time spent getting, unless you want agility xp. The time spent getting the armor could very easily be recouped by resting and raising energy.

Now, the rock cavern is the really only useful update, and the introduction of how that area was found stank. No real explanation, they just threw it out there with some half-assed little story about the dwarfs blah blah blah.

The slayer update was decent, but a slap in the face for all the slayers who have waited YEARS for a new, high level slayer monster. (No, 78 isn't high.) Or at least another use for slayer points, or SOMETHING. Also, you should have AT LEAST be able to automatically KO gargs if you had hammer in invy. This is only slightly less work, very slightly less. And the number left in task saves all of what, 2 seconds a time? Geez Jagex.

So no. Jagex has fixed a good number of problems, but they have also effed up too much of their new content for this year to have been even halfway great update wise. Supposedly, within a few weeks on RuneTek5, the game was supposed to be running smoother. I still have trouble getting things out of the bank if I click too fast, even if they are right in a row. Weapons are harder to switch, as is armor, which is a real problem at places like DKS or TDS.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

I would say the quality of quests has dramatically been reduced during this year. Every quest that has come out in 2009 to me seems to either lack a strong storyline, be generally boring, or be ridiculously short. I don't like how they've dumbed down the quests too. Modern quests nowadays require maybe one or two items, whereas in older quests gathering the long list of required items was like a quest in itself. Some people would think gathering 20 items for each quest is boring, but it's really annoying to see during quests that NPC's magically have all the required items you need to complete the quest. It sort of like quests no longer depend on your general knowledge of runescape (in this case, knowing where to get a wide variety of items), but are just a "ugh, when will this be over" kind of thing.

Oh well that's my only main complaint. The other updates of 2009 far outweigh quest updates. It's been a wonderful year so far. <3:

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

I completely agree about the small things being the big things. One of the reasons I started playing RS again was because of some of the small things they have fixed and done.

More recently, I would like to add that the "Kills-Left" button for slayer is probably the most useful option out there. I love that I can check how far I have to go without having to stop fighting.

Arbituz.png

I do too. I just spent 52m for 80-90 prayer, and any new prayer better be usable in PvP, or I will be mad. I mean, not only do people with high prayer spend tens or hundreds of millions, but prayer is already added onto our combat level.

The herblore update was BS. Really, it is fairly useless in comparison to what it was useful for before the removal of its uses in PvP. Sure, it will slightly speed up slayer xp, but not much, unless you pot everytime it drops down to 118. Sure it helps in FFA, until you realize that most corpie teams who FFA won't let you join if you have a high herb level. Sure agility armor is nice, until you realize that below 0 KG, negative weight doesn't help run energy deplete slower. Really, when are you running long distances with a full invy of heavy items where you also don't need armor outside of agility armor? Now, if you could combine these with bandos or barrows, it would be very useful for places like duo SGWD and getting to DKS, but outside of those, it really has very few uses. It also isn't really worth the time spent getting, unless you want agility xp. The time spent getting the armor could very easily be recouped by resting and raising energy.

Now, the rock cavern is the really only useful update, and the introduction of how that area was found stank. No real explanation, they just threw it out there with some half-assed little story about the dwarfs blah blah blah.

The slayer update was decent, but a slap in the face for all the slayers who have waited YEARS for a new, high level slayer monster. (No, 78 isn't high.) Or at least another use for slayer points, or SOMETHING. Also, you should have AT LEAST be able to automatically KO gargs if you had hammer in invy. This is only slightly less work, very slightly less. And the number left in task saves all of what, 2 seconds a time? Geez Jagex.

So no. Jagex has fixed a good number of problems, but they have also effed up too much of their new content for this year to have been even halfway great update wise. Supposedly, within a few weeks on RuneTek5, the game was supposed to be running smoother. I still have trouble getting things out of the bank if I click too fast, even if they are right in a row. Weapons are harder to switch, as is armor, which is a real problem at places like DKS or TDS.

If those updates are as useless as you say, does that mean that Jagex shouldn't have implemented them at all? If everyone agrees that hgih level potions are useless without PVP, the level 78 slayer beast is one of the lousiest ever, the agility clothing have no use at all, the quests are crappy, should the game now REMOVE these updates from the game? Useless update should have no impact whatsoever if they disappear overnight right? Since no one would notice them.

But no, they may be useless to you, but useful to other players.

Agility robes definitely have some use for me, either as a skilling outfit for Pyramid Plunder, or farm rounds.

What's the point of a new high level slayer beast, if Jagex is currently holding back from releasing any high level equipment, while trying to balance out magic and defence? Even if there's one, the probability of high level equipment is nearly zero.

What do you mean about poorly introduced areas? GWD came out overnight with no proper introduction at all. Pretty much every area in the game just get added to the game "like that".

And I'm against auto smashing gargoyles anyway. I like the idea of special techniques to kill slayer beasts, instead of considering the extra click as 'something I CBA to do because I just want to grind my slayer up".

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

@ravian

No way in hellcan you compare sheep herder to underground pass and mep2. Sheep herder took me around 15 minutes to complete.

Anyways, I see lots of people complaining about upgrade year, there has been some bad upgrades but for the most part it's been excellent.

Levon.png Bladewing.png

It's great you know what you're talking about rustiod. Everything you've said is 100% accurate a true.

That being said...your a [bleep]ing [bleep] douchebag, and none of your advice will ever (or should ever) be taken seriously because of it.

disregard good advice because the giver is a douche

THAT MAKES YOU A BETTER PERSON

I would say the quality of quests has dramatically been reduced during this year. Every quest that has come out in 2009 to me seems to either lack a strong storyline, be generally boring, or be ridiculously short. I don't like how they've dumbed down the quests too. Modern quests nowadays require maybe one or two items, whereas in older quests gathering the long list of required items was like a quest in itself. Some people would think gathering 20 items for each quest is boring, but it's really annoying to see during quests that NPC's magically have all the required items you need to complete the quest. It sort of like quests no longer depend on your general knowledge of runescape (in this case, knowing where to get a wide variety of items), but are just a "ugh, when will this be over" kind of thing.

Oh well that's my only main complaint. The other updates of 2009 far outweigh quest updates. It's been a wonderful year so far. <3:

Wait a second, you actually enjoyed being in the middle of nowhere, far away from every bank or tele spot and questing away, solving puzzles and fighting hard monster. But at that point, just when it got a little exciting, you needed to go all the way back for something as stupid as a hammer? That's the reason I used to hate quests...

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

@ To all complaining about Runetek 5:

I never, ever experienced the clicking problem. I managed to get items out of my bank fine, and I can drag my items around fairly well. Even changing armor in Fist of Guthix wasn't so hard.

However, since RT5 I've been experiencing more log-on screen glitching. Sometimes, after a while, the screen doesn't register and it brings me back to the log-on screen. Extremely annoying in minigames.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Why do people always moan about the level 78 slayer monster. Sure its pretty bad, but it was one of the higher level gaps left to fill.

Using the monster every 2/3 levels the gaps left were;

2/3 <- unlikely

12/13

27/28

77/78 <- dead center

87/88

92/95

97/98 <- unlikely

Which gap would you rather they filled <75 or >75?

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

A good high level update would be some raid content. Something we would need to implement a DKP system in our clans for.

Also and some of you really wont think this is a high level update but trust me, it is. They need to add a guild tag to your name in game, and the functionality to level a guild, that way its very easy to spot the good high level guilds and strive to join them.

As of now guilds are just IRC channels because anyone who has spend a serious amount of time in this game pretty much hates talking in game. People always get muted for the dumbest things taken out of context by some halfwit halfway across the planet getting paied minimum wage.

Fools_Taco.png

Runescape is not at all setup for 'raiding' due to it's combat system. There's no 'supporter' roles available (a few spells on lunar not those are useless in almost all circumstances).

There's already lootshare and coinshare for sharing loot out fairly, although lootshare could use a few improvements here and there it works perfectly fine at the moment in my opinion.

I would hate seeing guild tags in name - it's something I don't care about and to be honest the UI is already very cluttered at times, having JimmyBob1235 [i pwnz n00bz] is not something I want to see.

There's one update I am looking forward to, that from it's brief description sounds as 'raid' like as we'll ever get, Randomly Generated Scenarios. Been waiting for over 5 years and still waiting for those...

Randomly Generated Scenarios. Been waiting for over 5 years and still waiting for those...

I believe they fobbed that off as being Temple Trekking (and its sister minigame).

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Randomly Generated Scenarios. Been waiting for over 5 years and still waiting for those...

I believe they fobbed that off as being Temple Trekking (and its sister minigame).

Nope, that's not the case (it was confirmed a while back that it's not in the game yet)

"Randomly generated scenarios, where a new adventure is generated for you and your friends each time you go on it. Form an adventuring party and go on your own personal quest. "

Sounds like stealing creation to me.

"Randomly generated scenarios, where a new adventure is generated for you and your friends each time you go on it. Form an adventuring party and go on your own personal quest. "

Adventuring and Personal both don't apply to SC and this is from 2004 sounds like temple trekking through I've heard about something like that is coming that isn't TT.

And we also still haven't gotten mammoths. :mellow:

How is that anything like Stealing Creation?!?

Also, that is NOT temple trekking as has been confirmed by Jagex.

Nope, that's not the case (it was confirmed a while back that it's not in the game yet)

Yes I'm waiting for that Mammoths and Lizardmen still :\

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png