[2.1] RSC Membership

[2.2] RSC+ Membership

[2.3] Timecards

[2.4] Summary

[3.0] Change Log

[4.0] Supporters

[5.0] Haters

2.0 – The Proposal

With the reintroduction of RuneScape Classic to members' accounts, the current membership model is in need of an expansion. The current model is an all-inclusive plan providing full access to every RuneScape feature, which was fine when there was only one version of the game, but now that Jagex is serving two versions, it is time to expand the options. What I am proposing is the introduction of RSC only memberships and a timecard option allowing players to pay according to how much they play, rather than on a monthly basis.

It is important to note that in order to implement these proposed RSC membership plans two small changes would be made to the current RSC model; RSC would be open to new accounts at any time and, ads would be placed above the RSC game window.

2.1 RSC Membership

An RSC membership would cost $2.95 a month. An RSC member would have full access to the RuneScape Classic game and be able to post in the RSC section of the Official RuneScape Forums.

2.2 RSC+ Membership

An RSC+ membership would cost $3.95 a month. An RSC+ member would have full access to the RuneScape Classic game and the Official RuneScape Forums. They would also have the ads removed from the RSC servers and be able to bundle their membership with a FunOrb membership at a $1.00 discount.

2.3 Timecards

Available in 20, 40, and 80 hour durations, RuneScape Timecards would be similar to minutes on a cell phone. Costing $2.50, $4.00, and $7.00 respectively, these timecards could be purchased and assigned to an account. That account would then be able to play on members' servers, but not RSC servers, for the duration of the card. A countdown clock would be placed in the game window that would display the time remaining on the card. When the time assigned to an account runs out, the player would be automatically logged out and teleported to Lumbridge, if they were in a members' only area. Timecards don't provide Forum access.

2.4 – Summary

RSC membership: $2.95/month, full access to RSC, and access to the RSC Forums

RSC+ membership: $3.95/month, full access to RSC, full Forum access, ad removal, and FunOrb bundling

Timecards: 20/40/80 hours, $2.50/$4.00/$7.00, play on members' servers but not RSC servers, and no Forum access

3.0 – Change Log

[12/10/2009] – Original Post Date

[12/11/2009] – Updated Supporters & Haters Lists

[12/16/2009] – Updated Supporters & Haters Lists

4.0 – Supporters

0) Crimsonsmash

1) hawkxs

2) belfordrocks (timeacrds)

3) linkzelda30 (-timecards)

5.0 – Haters

1) Mercifull

2) Paw_Claw

3) romy

4) will_homes

5) gioandjack

No.

The reason why Runescape membership is so popular is because its simple. Either there is Runescape membership which also gives you access to RSC and there is Runescape+Funorb.

The different payment methods mean there is already a variation in prices for just those two methods. If you broke it down into what you have suggested then it would be too complex and Jagex would probably be giving more money to the payment processing companies than they get themselves.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I've always thought the easiest way to increase the member base is to introduce a system where you purchase a month of membership and it's per day you log in. A large portion of teenage - young adults don't want a membership because they can't play every day, so they feel it is a waste of money. This is a simple fix which will take little effort to introduce, will increase member numbers and won't drastically impact profit margins.

SoLawny.png

No.

Runescape membership works because it is simple.

RSC is an added perk for those who wish to be old school and pay for membership, its not like a dunorb game which is a game in its own right..

As for the timecard thing nah, runescape is ALOT cheaper than most other mmorpgs, and they all use the same system. I mean seriously? It's like £3.20 for a MONTH of membership, thats like 10p a day. Opposed to things lie wow whihc are what like £100 - £15 a month and work out to like 50p a day or something

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I've always thought the easiest way to increase the member base is to introduce a system where you purchase a month of membership and it's per day you log in. A large portion of teenage - young adults don't want a membership because they can't play every day, so they feel it is a waste of money. This is a simple fix which will take little effort to introduce, will increase member numbers and won't drastically impact profit margins.

Eight dollars is not that much. On a 28-day month You are paying 29 cents a day. That is a quarter and four pennies. That is equivalent to turning three aluminum cans into a recycling factory(We get 10 cents a can we turn in). Paying 29-cents a day and skipping a few days of membership is not that much of a waste. It is one less coke you will have to buy in a month's time.

OT:

This might work later on, but not now. A lot of people get confused with some of the current options available.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Eight dollars is not that much. On a 28-day month You are paying 29 cents a day. That is a quarter and four pennies. That is equivalent to turning three aluminum cans into a recycling factory(We get 10 cents a can we turn in). Paying 29-cents a day and skipping a few days of membership is not that much of a waste. It is one less coke you will have to buy in a month's time.

OT:

This might work later on, but not now. A lot of people get confused with some of the current options available.

I know it's not much, especially in my country. Hell, I spend twice that on coffee each day.

I've had membership since 2 days after it came out without lapse. Not everyone feels the same way, which is something the community as a whole doesn't seem to grasp. Some people think at roughly $8 a month its a bargain. Some people think it's a rip off, even if they play 5 hours a day. Some people who only play on weekends don't feel their money is justified. Most P2Pers call them fools. The system I propose benefits all parties for a minute effort.

SoLawny.png

I would definitely buy a $7.00 80 hours of 'members' card. I don't want to post on the forums, I just want access to members' stuff, and this is perfect for 'those teenagers' who don't want to buy membership otherwise.

And in the grand scheme of things, Jagex is making more money, as 80 hours is just a little under a week's (by 12 hour days - just over 3 days by 24 hours) worth of membership... when a month's worth is only a little more (but is timed).

Full support.

I would definitely buy a $7.00 80 hours of 'members' card. I don't want to post on the forums, I just want access to members' stuff, and this is perfect for 'those teenagers' who don't want to buy membership otherwise.

And in the grand scheme of things, Jagex is making more money, as 80 hours is just a little under a week's (by 12 hour days - just over 3 days by 24 hours) worth of membership... when a month's worth is only a little more (but is timed).

Full support.

$7.00 for only 80 hours?

You do realize that a majority of runescape members pay $5.00 for 696 hours of play, $7.00 for 80 hours is a big rip off.

wingwinder.png

indifference.gif

Full support.

$7.00 for only 80 hours?

You do realize that a majority of runescape members pay $5.00 for 696 hours of play, $7.00 for 80 hours is a big rip off.

I doubt anyone would really play about 20 hours per week (i.e. 80 hours per month). That's almost 3 hours PER DAY. With this "time card", you get to play 80 hours through a period of a few months if you're a less intense gamer. If you play 3 hours or more per day then by all means get "normal" membership, which by the way costs $6 not $5. If you want to compare pricing you should compare it with the current pricing for new players not old ones.

So perhaps a player plays 1hour of RS per day, which is quite reasonable. He'll be able to play for 11 weeks and 3 days, which is close to 3 months. He doesn't get forum access, but who gives a [bleep] when you can already post for FREE on the TIF or other forums anyway.

A little bit of clarification.

Mercifull and Xx_Flare_xX seem to be a little confused about the proposal. I'm not suggesting that we split members into RS2 and RSC components; the proposed options would be available in addition to the current plan. Also, Mercifull, please note that not all current payment options need be available for these new membership models.

In response to Paw_Claw, I would bet anything that there are plenty of (ex)players that have no interest in playing the modern version of RuneScape but would gladly pay three dollars a month to be able to play RSC again.

wingwinder: I challenge you to find anyone who can survive playing RuneScape 24/7 for any significant length of time, as your 696 hours a month implies.

For those who are wondering, here is how I came up with the durations and prices for the timecards. Here it is.

(2 hours of play each weekday+10 hours over the weekend)*4 weeks in a month=80 hours a month

one month membership costs ~$6.00/month, add $1.00 and you get the price for an 80 hour card*

price of a 40 hour card=(price of a 80 hour card/2)+$0.50**

price of a 20 hour card=(price of a 40 hour card/2)+$0.50**

*I wanted the timecards to be slightly more profitable than a monthly subscription for this "average" play time.

**As with most similar systems, the less time you buy, the more profit is made.

To expand on what quelmotz said, I intended the timecards to be an easy way for people who want to moderate their playing time (or for parents who want to limit that of their children) to do so.

To depresins, if it's ok with you I would like to add your idea to the proposal (fully credited of course).

NO

it works because it is simple

holeinfate.png

Sig courtesy of sxssniffe(so i can remember to go to make a new one :-) )

thecoolistwaytolevel.jpg

If Jagex ever made a perfect update there would be players complaining about nothing to complain about.

Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.

Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.

Brian W. Kernighan

OT:

The real problem is those very teens who do pay for membership, then overcram themselves with game time. I understand people are trying to maximise their gains versus costs, but it encourages addiction. I love the idea of timecards as they are more casual-player-oriented. Currently it's either you play excessively or you lose out, and it shouldn't have to be that way.

OT:

The real problem is those very teens who do pay for membership, then overcram themselves with game time. I understand people are trying to maximise their gains versus costs, but it encourages addiction. I love the idea of timecards as they are more casual-player-oriented. Currently it's either you play excessively or you lose out, and it shouldn't have to be that way.

If the membership was expensive, I'd agree with you. But most people realise that £3.50 is an insignificant amount of money to pay per month. I'd also rather have the freedom to choose whether I play or not and it will make no difference money-wise. I don't want to feel pressured when playing, it's hardly casual.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

It speaks a lot about the OP that he finds the need to label anyone who disagrees as "haters" and that he needs to try and argue against peoples legitimate reasons for not liking it.

Just because there probably are ex players who would pay for jsut RSC DOES NOT change the fact RSC is no longer a game in its own right and is instead an added perk for members who remember the old skool. It's basic business they don't want people just lingering in old outdated games that don't show off their true skills at coding etc. So they don't off an old out-dated game as a primary product, its a secondary product or a perk to playing a main product.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

i support, other than time cards. firstly, because jagex said they wont do this, and second, why pay MORE for 80 hours of gameplay? that's what, 4 days? just buy the monthly membership if your going to play that much.

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

It was not at all my intention to label anyone; the title "Haters List" was simply meant as a friendly hyperbole. I am truly sorry if it offends anyone and will gladly change it if it does.

While I'm posting I'd also like to acknowledge that there have been legitimate points against my ideas and that, while I do respect them, I see no reason why I shouldn't offer my own counter points and explanations.

Lastly I'd like to present that RSC is a game in its own rite. Its code-base, game-play and overall experience are completely different from that of the modern iteration and treating it as such makes perfect business sense as it allows Jagex to regain the lost patronage of those who quit when RSC was discontinued.

I dont believe Jagex would support this because they may not enjoy owing players time. Say for instance, runescape were to shut down. Jagex would want to know when each membership would expire, so it would not get into trouble owing money/time. Dealing with people who would say "Your never said my time would expire!" would probably me a major turn off for jagex. IMO

It's a great idea in theory, but as some have mentioned it may be to complicated. I'm on the fence for this one. Are there really alot of runescape 2 players who will play classic indefinitely though?

Pgkhqob.jpg

Proud Tip.It Moderator December 07 - October 2009
Proud TETAU Member 2006 - 2007 <3
"I had a standing agreement with god. I'd agree to believe in him, barely, so long as he let me sleep in on Sundays." - Rose Hathaway
[ Posting & You ] [ Forum Rules ] [ Next Tetau Event ]