No RuneScape utilities iPhone/iPod touch app?

atronic92

After getting an iPod touch for Christmas two years ago (2008 :P ) and then coming back to RuneScape a week ago, I wondered if there were any good RuneScape iPhone applications. I searched "runescape" in the app store, but the only one was a world map app (not made by Jagex) that cost $.99 and all the reviews pointed to it not being up-to-date.

But why is there no RuneScape utilities iPhone app yet? A really useful app could let you look at the map but also learn the Rules, browse the Knowledge Base, get prices from the Grand Exchange, look at the Hiscores, view your Adventurer's log, and even more. The one thing I would not want in the app is to be able to play RuneScape on my iPod. The screen is just too small to fit the game. Of course, free is everyone's favorite price, but a lot of people would be willing to pay from $.99 to $2.99 for a good app. Since a lot of people play RuneScape and a lot of people have an iPhone or iPod touch, there must be substantial overlap and a large market for a RuneScape iPhone app.

Now, there might be copyright issues involved. But, if one person was allowed to make a RuneScape map application and sell it, why would another person not be allowed to make a better application? If there are problems, Jagex could make the app! If Jagex makes the app, then we could log into our account with it and gain even more access to useful utilities! There are untapped markets here that Jagex should jump on.

I would love some feedback to my idea. Do you want a RuneScape utilities iPhone app? Would you buy one? What would you want in one? Should it be Jagex-made or fan-made? Free or cost money? Does it make sense for Jagex to make one? Do you think one will ever be made? Are YOU going to make one :cool: ? Should I learn programming and make one :razz: ?

mrE.png

"We will certainly not be gaining money or members with this update. Instead, we are doing this for the good of the game, which is as dear to our hearts as it is to you."

- JAGEX, December 13, 2007

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A G.E. app would be priceless.

Well...not true, it would have loads of prices, but I get your point =P

OT: Jagex has already made a few Iphone apps, just not of runescape. A few funorb games, I believe

TheDarkestLight2.jpg

[hide]

Come, be my light.

Mingle with my darkness

May we mix to create

Our own twilight sunset

The dusk breeze

Spreading clouds

On our murky horizon

~Darkpoet837~[/hide]

I have this RuneScape app that used to be up in the AppStore but I think not anymore. It just checks GE prices for me, not much, but it's pretty useful. I got it for free too.

I disagree with not being able to play Runescape on it, being able to check your GE offers from anywhere would be useful and some low click skills would be do able at a decent rate. A little offtopic but does anyone know of a MSN messenger app?

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

I disagree with not being able to play Runescape on it, being able to check your GE offers from anywhere would be useful and some low click skills would be do able at a decent rate. A little offtopic but does anyone know of a MSN messenger app?

I agree, I would want to be able to do simple things like check GE offers on my iPod. Now as for MSN messenger apps, I use Beejive, which is the est by far IMO. It costs 9.99 though, for a good free app, you should use Palringo.

I agree, I would want to be able to do simple things like check GE offers on my iPod. Now as for MSN messenger apps, I use Beejive, which is the est by far IMO. It costs 9.99 though, for a good free app, you should use Palringo.

Thanks, I'll try out palringo and if i don't like it I'll buy beejive

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

I am part of Apple's iPhone developer program and write basic application for the iPod Touch/iPhone. Jagex would have to completely rewrite Runescape in order for it to operate without Java to get it to play on either device. Then again, I'm not sure I would even want to play on a 380x240 display. There are ways to get Java to run on the iPod Touch/iPhone, but Runescape's limited size would make it impossible to play. But if you just wanted utilities, it wouldn't be that hard to write. I'm sure they would make a lot of money off of it as well. I wouldn't use it, though.

Thanks, I'll try out palringo and if i don't like it I'll buy beejive

Try Fring, if it's still up.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

You can use Mocha to VPN over to a main computer and play RS if you have access to the internet.

If Iphone/Ipod touch have java, couldn't someone write a simple ge interface java applet then you could simply visit the page with the applet on it with your ipod/iphone.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

You can use Mocha to VPN over to a main computer and play RS if you have access to the internet.

If Iphone/Ipod touch have java, couldn't someone write a simple ge interface java applet then you could simply visit the page with the applet on it with your ipod/iphone.

Mocha is VNC, not VPN. It works, but the framerate is terrible.

I don't need a RuneScape utilities app for my iPod. Everytime I need informations about RuneScape it's when I play RuneScape... So I'm on a PC and when I have a PC I have everything I need to get to my desired informations in no time. The things you said is very easy to handle. Just make a homepage with all these features and you can acces it in no time from your iPod or iPhone.

RuneScape for these devices is another thing. It would be possible to program it but as already said you would have to rewrite RuneScape for it. But with the limited space you would probably have to get rid of the chat box and the world map. And the inventory, spell book and all these things would be accessible by a small tab. It would still be hard to do some complex things and chatting would be impossible.

[404] Signature not found.

Try IM Lite.

On Topic: I've seen Videos of being with Jailbroken iPod Touches/ iPhone's, downloading Java, and playinig RuneScape that way. Cool, yes. Practical, no. Screen is too small.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

Wow, thanks for all the replies on this topic!

I still think that playing RuneScape on an iPhone or iPod touch is impossible, even if it was completely recoded or there was a way to get java on the device. The screen is just too small.

I also disagree that Safari is a good alternative. Navigating to all the different sections of the website is just too clunky. You end up loading lots of data that you don't need which wastes time. An ideal interface could have four or five tabs on the bottom, to switch the main window between a hiscores lookup, a GE lookup, a world map, an adventurer's log, and maybe some other features.

If Jagex has already made other iPhone apps, then perhaps there is a chance of a RuneScape utilities app coming out?

Or what about a tip.it RuneScape utilities app? Are there any iPhone developers here willing to make one? :razz:

mrE.png

"We will certainly not be gaining money or members with this update. Instead, we are doing this for the good of the game, which is as dear to our hearts as it is to you."

Or what about a tip.it RuneScape utilities app? Are there any iPhone developers here willing to make one?
You just want a application to view Tip.it without launching Safari? Or are you looking for a mobile version of Tip.it that's completely different from this one? The former would be pretty easy to create, as one would just have to tell Safari to scale the page.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

Or what about a tip.it RuneScape utilities app? Are there any iPhone developers here willing to make one?
You just want a application to view Tip.it without launching Safari? Or are you looking for a mobile version of Tip.it that's completely different from this one? The former would be pretty easy to create, as one would just have to tell Safari to scale the page.

Actually, you wouldn't even need an app for the first one. You could just press the + button at the bottom of Safari, and press Add to Home Screen, it adds said page to your homescreen.

Actually, you wouldn't even need an app for the first one. You could just press the + button at the bottom of Safari, and press Add to Home Screen, it adds said page to your homescreen.

Indeed, but that is just viewing Tip.it via the Safari browser.

It would be along the lines of the Wikipedia site, should you view it on your iPhone/iPod Touch. In which case Wikipedia automatically switches styles based on the device that is accessing it. However, to do so, one would need permission from the forum administrator because it interferes with how users can access the site. That and it wouldn't be possible for just any user to do it.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

i was wondering the same thing.. as we've seen, jagex realizes the market in the app store (bouncedown). Maybe jagex won't allow these types of apps? legal issues.

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

Oops. By a tip.it app, I meant a RuneScape utilities app like the one I described made by the team behind tip.it and tip.it branded, not an app that could access tip.it. Although, it could use some of the power of tip.it, like their skill calculators and atlas.

mrE.png

Isn't it possible to go online in a browser with iPhones? Just type in www.runescape.com, and do what's needed :o

Dragon drops: 82 (2 claws)

Dagannoth kings drops: 73

Barrows item count: 51

GWD drops: 54 (5 hilts: 1x bandos, 3x saradomin, 1x zamorak)

Whips: 4

Sigils: 1x spectral (FFA), 1x arcane (FFA)

After getting an iPod touch for Christmas two years ago (2008 :P ) and then coming back to RuneScape a week ago, I wondered if there were any good RuneScape iPhone applications. I searched "runescape" in the app store, but the only one was a world map app (not made by Jagex) that cost $.99 and all the reviews pointed to it not being up-to-date.

But why is there no RuneScape utilities iPhone app yet? A really useful app could let you look at the map but also learn the Rules, browse the Knowledge Base, get prices from the Grand Exchange, look at the Hiscores, view your Adventurer's log, and even more. The one thing I would not want in the app is to be able to play RuneScape on my iPod. The screen is just too small to fit the game. Of course, free is everyone's favorite price, but a lot of people would be willing to pay from $.99 to $2.99 for a good app. Since a lot of people play RuneScape and a lot of people have an iPhone or iPod touch, there must be substantial overlap and a large market for a RuneScape iPhone app.

Now, there might be copyright issues involved. But, if one person was allowed to make a RuneScape map application and sell it, why would another person not be allowed to make a better application? If there are problems, Jagex could make the app! If Jagex makes the app, then we could log into our account with it and gain even more access to useful utilities! There are untapped markets here that Jagex should jump on.

I would love some feedback to my idea. Do you want a RuneScape utilities iPhone app? Would you buy one? What would you want in one? Should it be Jagex-made or fan-made? Free or cost money? Does it make sense for Jagex to make one? Do you think one will ever be made? Are YOU going to make one :cool: ? Should I learn programming and make one :razz: ?

Comepletely hypothetically. If you were to jailbreak your phone. Get installo and search runescape, you can get a free rs app that allows you to access ge, wiki, tipit, Sal, runehq, rs updates and nearly everything you could ever want. But that is only if someone were to jailbreak their phone and get installous ;)