World Record Held by Runescape Player

meister14

Why bother? I'm not going to get into a flame war. But

1. 9 hours a day by an ill person is far different then 15 hours a day for the normal person.

2. I was talking about 15 hours in a day being reasonable for a parent, under certain circumstances.

3. Creating an assumption and then arguing around that assumption is asinine.

4. Also, a parent who plays on the computer a lot isn't necessarily abusing their child.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet still, why is it your business?

Child abuse is everyone's business.

Too many people in the world are busybodies.

Too many people in the world are too self-absorbed to get involved when there's an obvious problem. And a parent who plays Runescape 15 hours a day every day is a problem.

Remeber, we aren't talking about 15 hours consistently, every day either.

Yes, actually, we were. That's what the thread is about, and what the post was that I replied to. I already said that I didn't think there was anything wrong with the occasional binge of Runescape (or anything else). The problem is addicts who go overboard.

Perhaps you should re-read the thread.

Also, I am really loving the insults you seem to throw around. You are quite handy at throwing insults, but terrible at constructing a logical argument. I mean, you based your whole insult against me on the (incorrect) assumption about my age.

Actually, I didn't insult you at all. Again, I suggest you re-read the thread and point out specifically where I "threw insults" -- you won't find any.

Most RS players are not adults with children. And they don't understand very much about parenting. If you actually do have children, well, that's even worse. I was actually trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.

How in the hell do you know if this person is a parent? Quit making assumptions without material to back it up. This thread is about the fact that someone made it into the GWR, not about how long they play a day. Can we please get back on subject or can a mod lock this.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Congratulations to her, and yes, I mean congratulations. Whether you clump 175,000 rubber bands together, or play Runescape for 700 days, getting into the Guinness Book of World Records is an achievement.

Leman.png

To all the people who think they are "wasting their time", no they are not.

They enjoy playing the game and are dedicated to it, let them do what they want.

If you go by this logic, then pretty much everything you do is "wasting your time".

Oh, and Guiness World Records will not even put a gaming version of the GWR, if they think gaming is "wasting their time".

Stop flaming the topic. You guys are just jealous because you cannot reach 700 days total play time. You guys are just like the "Runescape sucks" bandwagon.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

They enjoy playing the game and are dedicated to it, let them do what they want.

If you go by this logic, then pretty much everything you do is "wasting your time".

Oh, and Guiness World Records will not even put a gaming version of the GWR, if they think gaming is "wasting their time".

Stop flaming the topic. You guys are just jealous because you cannot reach 700 days total play time. You guys are just like the "Runescape sucks" bandwagon.

I don't think many people here are jealous that they can't reach 700 days total play time :rolleyes:

Some people smoke for fun, but when you smoke 3 packs a day, you are addicted. Some people drink for fun, but when you drink 1 bottle of vodka a day, you are addicted. Same goes for all other drugs. Same goes for runescape.

I don't think anyone is jealous. I would feel insanelybad if I find out I have spent 700 days on this game. Heck, somehow I even feel bad I've played 165 days.

Ya got me! I'm jealous because I can't spend five years sitting on my [wagon] playing a video game full time. LOL

I'm also insanely jealous of Ken Edwards. What an achievement!

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

I don't think many people here are jealous that they can't reach 700 days total play time :rolleyes:

Likely not, however..

It doesn't make any difference what it is; Building the biggest Lego city, the longest time eating only peanut butter sandwiches, ect.. You cannot deny that no matter what it is, doing the same activity for 700 hours requires commitment.

This thread isn't here to worship the person who completed it, nor do I think they feel ashamed for doing what they have done. If she got the goal and wasn't going for the record, perhaps she simply likes the game. We don't even know what aspect of the game she mostly does. You can flame, troll, and post what criticism you want, however its not right to judge what another person deems fun.

At the end of the day, there is no difference in you hanging out at the mall with your friends and her playing online with her friends. The only difference is what you perceive to be fun.

I think cherry coke tastes like [cabbage], but does that make it [cabbage], and should someone be ashamed for drinking it 700 days straight? No.

dawnsigblue-3.png

There *are* legitimate accomplishments even within Runescape.

Like the guys who figure out how to solo "unsoloable" monsters... or people who find very efficient ways of doing things. Or people who set up and run large clans, find smart ways to make money, and so forth.

But this person is being "honored" for nothing more than spending gobs of time online. And that's *not* an accomplishment, any more than spending 16,000 hours at the mall is, or spending 16,000 hours drinking cherry coke.

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Well if this isn't anything special, then Guiness World Records won't even bother trying to find out who spent the most days playing Runescape.

Sure, getting 700 days isn't hard as in *HARD* (just leave your account online every day), but it is still something honor of mention (try doing that for the next few years).

Speaking of which, I always thought either the guys that started right from the start, the top ranked P2P/F2P, or the 200M exp people had the most time played. Who this Sara Lhadi is, if she isn't one of those she is simply a time waster (like, a player who just chats all day long), and she doesn't really sound like one. In that case, you are right to some extent.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

There *are* legitimate accomplishments even within Runescape.

Like the guys who figure out how to solo "unsoloable" monsters... or people who find very efficient ways of doing things. Or people who set up and run large clans, find smart ways to make money, and so forth.

But this person is being "honored" for nothing more than spending gobs of time online. And that's *not* an accomplishment, any more than spending 16,000 hours at the mall is, or spending 16,000 hours drinking cherry coke.

I'd argue that the only 'legitimate' accomplishments that exist within any activity are the ones that get you notoriety outside of the communities of that activity. Sure, having an accomplishment of 99 Hitpoints and 98 everything else is cool, but outside of the community, who would care?

From reading your posts in this thread, qeltar, it just seems that you're trying to belittle something that someone got into the Guiness Book of Records for. Why are you so against this person getting honored for spending that much time in an MMO, anyway? What do you care?

Just let her have her moment in the sunshine. Sheesh.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Likely not, however..

It doesn't make any difference what it is; Building the biggest Lego city, the longest time eating only peanut butter sandwiches, ect.. You cannot deny that no matter what it is, doing the same activity for 700 hours requires commitment.

This thread isn't here to worship the person who completed it, nor do I think they feel ashamed for doing what they have done. If she got the goal and wasn't going for the record, perhaps she simply likes the game. We don't even know what aspect of the game she mostly does. You can flame, troll, and post what criticism you want, however its not right to judge what another person deems fun.

At the end of the day, there is no difference in you hanging out at the mall with your friends and her playing online with her friends. The only difference is what you perceive to be fun.

I think cherry coke tastes like [cabbage], but does that make it [cabbage], and should someone be ashamed for drinking it 700 days straight? No.

Great posts Qeltar and Brianite. I agree that it's an achievement tainted by addiction. She deserves both title and criticism.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

I'd argue that the only 'legitimate' accomplishments that exist within any activity are the ones that get you notoriety outside of the communities of that activity.

You could try -- but you won't get very far.

First of all, notoriety and accomplishment are not equivalent, nor is one required for the other. Mark David Chapman is notorious, but would any sane person consider him "accomplished"? On the flip side, there are millions of excellent people all around the world racking up valuable accomplishments without getting much recognition for them.

So you could call this record notorious, but what really has been accomplished?

Second, this record isn't really "outside the community" anyway -- it's in a special "gamer's edition" of the Guinness records. Maybe some people missed that. It's a separate book that Guinness publishes.

Finally, do you REALLY think that non-gamers will be impressed with this so-called "record"? Good luck with that! I feel pretty confident that it will be viewed in about the same way as people view the record for world's fattest man -- with a combination of contempt and pity.

I doubt you'd find more than 1% of non-gamers, or even participants in other games, who think this is an "accomplishment" -- and you'd probably find WELL more than half who feel quite negatively about it. I looked through the comments in the thread referenced at the start of this thread, and if I reposted them here they'd be deleted. There was not one positive comment about this so-called "record".

What do you care?

It is wrong to deify someone over an "accomplishment" that is basically equivalent to spending 9 hours a day, every day, for five years, watching television.

I bear no personal ill will towards this individual -- I just think she is a very BAD role model. It sends the wrong message to a community largely composed of impressionable children and teens to have this person be considered some sort of a hero when she is not. Addiction is not something to be glorified, nor should young people be encouraged to go after "records" that involve simply wasting thousands of hours of time on meaninglessness.

Guinness has in the past removed categories of records from their books because they encouraged destructive behavior. This one is pretty close to being deserving of the same fate, IMO.

signew2.png

I bear no personal ill will towards this individual -- I just think she is a very BAD role model. It sends the wrong message to a community largely composed of impressionable children and teens to have this person be considered some sort of a hero when she is not. Addiction is not something to be glorified, nor should young people be encouraged to go after "records" that involve simply wasting thousands of hours of time on meaninglessness.

Just wondering, well how about all the players on the highscores, aren't they kinda similar to this person? I'm sure a lot of people look up to their accomplishments and try to imitate them, despite the fact it takes an enormous amount of playing time. And people try to break useless records all the time, just look at all the people who train past lvl 99 to get 200m xp or whatever.

Ok, I just lost major respect for Guinness. They said that only cockroaches would survive a nuclear holocaust, which is crap.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

Objectivisim- Refuse to accept blame or guilt which others put on you.

If she wants to, who are any of us to say no? She isn't breaking any laws or anything. Essentially, as long as what she is doing is legal, her life is hers to spend how and as she wishes. Lay off. It is a record. Doesn't mean its a mega-achievement, but it is still a record. I suppose gathering the most air sick bags is something to flame about too.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

I think some people here are looking too much into it. It's a meaningless record. She's spent an insane amount of time playing video games. So? I'm not condoning it and agree it must have had a serious impact but we know nothing of her personal circumstances and It's her time to spent how she sees fit.

Yes, it will have negative effects on other aspects of life but again, it's up to the individual to get their priorities straight. If she feels she can spend x hours every day online, so be it. If thats how she wants to spent her time, and she feels the negatives are worth it, then thats it. End of.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

One thing people have seemed to miss is the fact that this is an AVERAGE. Nowhere did it say that the person played 9 hours a day, every day.

It is absolutely possible to achieve this, while still maintaining a job. I work 9 hours a day, Monday through Thursday, and 8 hours on Friday. I also have every other Friday off.

I live 10 minutes from my job. I leave the house at 6:45 AM, and get home around 4 pm. If I played 5 hours at night, Monday through Thursday, that would be 20 of the 63 hours in the week. On every other Friday, I could play 15 hours, and still pull in over 8 hours of sleep. Same on Saturday and Sunday.

So, in two weeks, I would have played 115 hours, which is 8.21 hours per day. Oh, and that is with getting over 8 hours of sleep every night.

If you can function at 6 hours of sleep a night, you could do at least an extra 2 hours of RS a day. (I gave myself over 9 hours of sleep during the week). This would push the average to 10.21 hours per day.

EDIT: Also, due to the fact that I have a government job, my average (if I did this) would be even higher. We get 12 holidays, plus I get 4 hours PTO every two weeks. Also, we get to go home early a lot. For instance, we got sent home at noon last Wed and Thurs, since New Years was coming up. I am confidant I could average 11+ hours a day. Also, I am confidant I could average 9 hours while still "having a life".

"The greatest joy a man can know is to conquer his enemies and drive them before him. To ride their horses and take away their possessions. To see the faces of those who were dear to them bedewed with tears, and to clasp their wives and daughters in his arms."

-Genghis Khan

It's fairly clear that for whatever reason the person with the record doesn't possess a social life.

*points to above post*

It's possible to have a social life, while playing the game, albeit extremely hard.

"The greatest joy a man can know is to conquer his enemies and drive them before him. To ride their horses and take away their possessions. To see the faces of those who were dear to them bedewed with tears, and to clasp their wives and daughters in his arms."

-Genghis Khan

Of the 168 hours in a week, the average person has to spend roughly 50 of those on sleep, and 50 of them on work/school plus incidental time related to work (travel time, dealing with the car, shopping, projects, homework, the odd late night, etc.)

Tha leaves 68 or so hours for everything else. That includes: personal care, all forms of entertainment, cooking, cleaning, spending time with friends, helping out family, exercise -- and a lot more.

Anyone who is spending 63 of those remaining 68 hours of that time on a video game has life balance issues. Same applies to anyone who is skimping on either sleep or work/school in order to fit in ridiculous numbers of hours on a video game.

signew2.png