Your language of choice

obfuscator

Personally, I like C++ for simple programs (Just basic programs for input, output, of that sort). For things with GUIs and more complicated matters, where I don't want to worry about memory, Java.

~Dan

overall-1.png: 1437 combat.png: 173
Lowest Combat to 1,000 Total in F2P (23 Combat)
2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, my language depends on what I'm up to. If I'm trying to move ~6,000 music files that have the extension .mp3 AND trying to use a converter to change them to Ogg Vorbis, Bash script is the way to go. If I'm working on something a bit more intense, such as a recursive algorithm or something that needs to be prototyped fairly quickly, then I'll use Python. I use Java a lot as well, but it isn't really the only language I use - some school projects are done in it, some personal projects are done in it. Also, C/C++ is a good choice for me when I do a touch of GTK+ interface programming.

I even use Lisp for a bit of fun with list manipulation, and I'm trying to learn how a neural network works. Best language for that would be Lisp, so here I am...

am i the only C# goon here?

Gotta ask - have all of you java heads done it because of runescape being java based?

Personally I don't like C# because I can't see the reason for another Java-esque language in my repertoire at the moment. Most businesses really like that you use .NET, and I really don't like using .NET...but yeah, I think it's a matter of personal preference.

I'll confess though, I *do* enjoy programming because of RuneScape. The language of choice depends totally what I'm doing at the moment.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Took half year C, half year C++ in university. Worked 16 months as C# programmer. My new job have nothing to do with programming. But I still use asp.net at home for fun.

Wow, three pages in and not one person has mentioned perl.

I know php, perl, bash, and javascript. But my favorite out of all of them is perl. There is very little that it can't do.

Most of my work is dealing with 2-5 gig files and processing them for various things. Perl makes difficult things easy. Ever try processing an 8 gig, extremly detailed xml file and put the data into a database? Not many languages can do that easily.

~M

Wow, three pages in and not one person has mentioned perl.

I know php, perl, bash, and javascript. But my favorite out of all of them is perl. There is very little that it can't do.

Most of my work is dealing with 2-5 gig files and processing them for various things. Perl makes difficult things easy. Ever try processing an 8 gig, extremly detailed xml file and put the data into a database? Not many languages can do that easily.

Yeah surprised no one said Perl.

I use Perl, Java and C. Depending on what I am doing.

SOS_100x100.png

Help drive change Canada

I've had 3 Years of Pawn Knowledge, Mainly from scripting GTA:SA-MP Servers. I know a very small amount of HTML aswell.. I'd love to learn C++ & Java to make games and such though. ;D

dzuz3d.jpg

Only know how to use CSS and HTML, Love HTML due to it being simple. Really my only favorites...If I learn more of them, it will likely change.

Meh I'd call SQL more of a scripting language if anything but it definitely applies. Done that as well, its interesting but not my thing,

SQL is classified as a query language.

Haskell. :P

More truthful terms - Java. I've tried quite a few languages but Java is the first that I've really stuck to. It's practical, largely cross-platform capable and has some fantastic documentation on the web.

We did a bit of Haskell in the first semester of our course at University this year, but although a functional language is certainly interesting, it hardly compares in uses and ease with a language like Java, even though it has some great features like list comprehension! Thankfully - we're learning Java this second semster, albeit at a basic level! :^_^:

Lately I have been looking at C#, but I'm finding it's quite a tricky language to get into, I certainly found that the documentation for example provided by Microsoft is nowhere near the simplicity that Java has, kinda threw me off the language. I'll probably take another look sometime soon though as perseverance is likely worthwhile!

Interesting. Conversely, I find MSDN documentation (C#/.NET) far superior, providing more detail and examples than Sun's (or rather, Oracle's, now) for Java.

For anyone having problems understanding C pointers, this is an excellent resource. I can't recommend it enough.

I understood pointers, until one day I was passed a pointer to a pointer. Talk about a headache.

In regards to that and the few memes following it: BNgosdbhgouisdhgiosdyh89ty89wyt 80y0 nyz08ghs80 gsd lSGLOSDLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111

I'm actually saving those pictures... and I NEVER save pictures.

Now for my own additions to the topic. I actually prefer Eclipse to NetBeans. Only reason I use either of them anyways is because I have to write Java for university projects...

As for my favorite language, C#. The most elegant and powerful there is, in my opinion. Regarding Java, I wish I could delete it from every computer in the world. There is no language I hate more, except probably Visual Basic. Its implementation of generics is complete junk, and doesn't even have properties yet. I don't care about backwards compatibility. I care about a language not being from the age of the dinosaurs.

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

I've only taken 2 classes for programming. Both of them used Visual Basic, so obviously it's the only language I know. The 1st was an Intro to Programming class. The 2nd was a follow-up course but I dropped that class because I didnt have the same teacher as last semester. tbf, I stayed in the class a few weeks, but I was too used to my old instructor.