Your language of choice

obfuscator

So with the new forum up and running I'm very curious to see what people's language of choice is. I know obviously there is a huge difference in the uses of the languages but what is it that you like to do with your favorite?

My personal favorite is Java - we've done so much with it in school I've just been more interested in it than anything else. I do occasionally use php and html/javascript when doing web stuff but I much prefer Java to any other language I've tried.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C# . I code with visual studio 2008 professional.

I've took classes in C, C++ and Java, i hated them until I got into C# with a kickass professor

Like ninane, i'm not too sure if if I should count MySQL/MSSQL either.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

I've taken about 2 1/2 years of Java and have more experience programming with it than with anything else.

Actually, I'm just finishing up a tic-tac-toe game for my Game Programming class. It's looking pretty good so far. I'm gonna try my first attempt at programming AI in the coming week.

sig2-1.png

Last.Fm

My Bloggy

Proud to have served on Tip.it Crew

I've taken about 2 1/2 years of Java and have more experience programming with it than with anything else.

Actually, I'm just finishing up a tic-tac-toe game for my Game Programming class. It's looking pretty good so far. I'm gonna try my first attempt at programming AI in the coming week.

AI is such a cool topic. I considered buying a textbook about it but honestly don't have the money at the moment, nor the time to learn.

polvCwJ.gif

AI is such a cool topic. I considered buying a textbook about it but honestly don't have the money at the moment, nor the time to learn.

My teacher was rather vague on how to do it. He was something like, "Just try it". Most likely because it isn't one of the main requirements of the program, but it's the part that I've been the most anxious about trying.

I'll probably just make a simple "next best choice" type of thing. At least, I hear it's fairly simple. Of course, it'll all be guess and check like usual, but fun.

sig2-1.png

Last.Fm

My Bloggy

Proud to have served on Tip.it Crew

I enjoy HTML, it's simple and easy to learn - my prefect cup of tea. But I am really inexperienced as I don't have any classes (not really sure if I plan to enroll myself in them either) for them. CSS is something I am really interested in learning, I made a website or two from tutorials on the internet and if I do say so - looked pretty good.

I would like to broaden my knowledge of languages, AI sounds so very interesting. I would love to learn more about it. :)

I don't know if I could say that I have a favourite.. All I know are HTML, CSS and Java, though I don't know any of them fully D: I guess my favourite is CSS or Java.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

PHP is by far my language of choice - I do of course know SQL as well.

I know/have messed with quite a few other languages (although I don't consider some of these to be languages, think markup - I'll list them anyway):

Bash

C(++)

CSS

HTML

Java

JavaScript

Scheme

VB6

VB.NET

am i the only C# goon here?

Gotta ask - have all of you java heads done it because of runescape being java based?

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

SQL; PHP; XHTML; XML; CSS

Javascript, ajax, etc. Not so much. Although I really need to start learning them again to build my portfolio...

I've used C, C++, Objective C and C#.. and Java.. I just don't application programming so I could never really get into it much.

Gotta ask - have all of you java heads done it because of runescape being java based?

I didn't choose java, actually. I wanted to take the AP Computer Science class at my high school and it was taught with java so.. I didn't exactly have a say in that. But I ended up liking it.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I ticker in a few at a time, but I don't really prefer one of the other, its more of a case which is best for the job.

I enjoy the openness and yet the ease of php, the speedy and quick coding of vb.net and then there's my pet hate/love C++. Every 3 steps forward I go 1 back, but I love the idea of making something large scale with C++.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

I didn't choose java, actually. I wanted to take the AP Computer Science class at my high school and it was taught with java so.. I didn't exactly have a say in that. But I ended up liking it.

Same here - almost all the classes I've taken so far have been java based (the non-web ones at least). My liking for java thus far has partly been built on the fact that I know it the most, giving me more possibilities with it than other languages.

polvCwJ.gif

PHP, JavaScript, Java, (X)HTML, CSS, SQL and bash scripting are the ones I know, I like PHP the most because it's so simple. I'm learning C/C++, in fact now I have to return "The C programming language second edition" to the library because there are 3 holds on it since a month ago. :( I'll miss you. I love technical writing.

C2b6gs7.png

I only really know mark-up languages, which I'm fairly fluent in - XHTML/HTML and CSS for the most part. Wouldn't mind learning JavaScript.

I am working on learning PHP/MySQL slowly and so far it seems fairly easy. I'm not so much interested in programming as I am in Web Design it seems.

1.png
generic_signature.png

Haskell. :P

More truthful terms - Java. I've tried quite a few languages but Java is the first that I've really stuck to. It's practical, largely cross-platform capable and has some fantastic documentation on the web.

We did a bit of Haskell in the first semester of our course at University this year, but although a functional language is certainly interesting, it hardly compares in uses and ease with a language like Java, even though it has some great features like list comprehension! Thankfully - we're learning Java this second semster, albeit at a basic level! :^_^:

Lately I have been looking at C#, but I'm finding it's quite a tricky language to get into, I certainly found that the documentation for example provided by Microsoft is nowhere near the simplicity that Java has, kinda threw me off the language. I'll probably take another look sometime soon though as perseverance is likely worthwhile!

First programming language I learned was BlitzBasic.

Then I learned C my Freshman year of High School. Soon after I learned Java.

Last year I learned MATLAB and Python.

This year I learned ABEL, which isn't a really programming language, because it's more logic than anything else (more hardware than software).

And although it isn't a "programming language", right now I'm starting to learn NI labview.

On my Co-Op, I've used C and Java, for programming some consumer devices. I'm most familiar with Java, and the immense amount of "standard" libraries over crazy amounts of platforms makes it ideal, even though its performance suffers a bit.

I'd recommend that you avoid basic at all costs, and that you take time to learn C for important concepts such as pointers and memory management which are lost in Java. I'd also recommend you'd learn Java for it's versatility, and the fact that netbeans is free. :P

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪