General Premises - Known Facts about the New Skill
This section deals with three premises which should be taken into account by everyone who is trying to get an idea of what the new skill is
- The first premise is that the new skill is for both F2P and P2P (see evidence for second premise).
- The second premise is that the new skill is based on the key gameplay mechanic of the cancelled micro-transactional MMO ThirdScape, which means that whatever the new skill is it would have to work well as a gameplay dynamic behind an entire MMO.
To Mod MMG:
You a little while said this about Thirdscape:
“We are actually working on a whole new game mechanic. I can't give much away, but it could be an entire game in its own right, or just a skill, or both, who knows [laughs]. That will be for free and members. But, yeah, that should be this year hopefully, needs to be awesome though. I don't want to give it away though because it's really exciting and no one has done it so we're kind of keeping that one close to our chest.
“Basically, this was going to be our 2010 game -- we were going to create another game -- but we said, this just ties in so nicely with "RuneScape" and it's cool, the community would love this, so let's not make it another game, let's just put this in the game.”
Here are the questions:
1. What are the current plans about this?
This is still very much on track and looking really fun the last time I saw it.
2. When should we expect this?
3. Will we be told about it when it happens?
I suspect you won’t be able to miss it.
Mod MMG: Yes the new skill and game mechanic will be f2p
- The third premise is that it does not have to begin with "B" and is not sailing.
Does the new skill realy start with a "B" or was that just humor?
A) Hi Mason,
No it doesn't, it's just a rumor.
I can't say what the new skill is either expect that it's not sailing
- The fourth premise is that it is completely different to existing skills, current popular lines of thinking and nobody has done it before.
It is probably true that nobody has come close so far as to guessing the new skill, but that's probably because it just hasn't been done before.
(about ThirdScape) I don't want to give it away though because it's really exciting and no one has done it so we're kind of keeping that one close to our chest.
Specific Assumptions - Extrapolating from known information which might not be about the new skill
- The first assumption is that Jagex's trademarks for Never Ending, Infinite Dungeon and/or Dungeon Master relate to the new skill.
- The second assumption is that Jagex's plan from March 2004 for "Randomly generated scenarios, where a new adventure is generated for you and your friends each time you go on it. Form an adventuring party and go on your own personal quest" (source) relates to the new skill.
The Roleplay / Dungeon Master theory - My guess on how it all ties together
What could this mean? Well, possibly something to do with questing in instanced worlds which are generated dynamically. It would mean groups of players could go on custom dungeon quests, possibly with the skill being that needed for a game master to be able to control the adventure. As such the skill would be for the "dungeon master" or adventurer/roleplayer to be able to better control the adventure (maybe it'd allow more people in the adventure, higher level enemies, better loot, etc). This would also tie in with MMG's line that "the community would love this" as it is very community-focussed, but he could just have meant that players would like it.
...So, what are your thoughts on the premises, the assumptions and the resulting theory? I've tried to keep them separate so people can discuss the merits of the three separately and come up with their own ideas based on them.