If you value your security, don't buy Sony BMG cd's...

Necromagus

Click, it could save you a lot of headaches...

Short story: The latest version of Sony BMG's anti-piracy measures now installs a bit of software on your computer the moment it reads data from the cd. Even if you're just playing it from your cd-rom drive. The software installs itself as a root kit, meaning it's nearly undetectable. According to this article, the software will even disable your cd drive if you try to remove it.

More than a simple annoyance, this root kit also forms a potentially dangerous situation in the fact that it creates an easy to exploit vunlerability for hackers, a vulnerability that's potentially undetectable unless you run highly specialized software. HijackThis won't help you here. This is one reason why it's potentially illegal under the U.S. Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.

Of course piracy is a problem, but can companies like Sony BMG really fight it by using malicious software like this or sueing senior citizens over honest mistakes made by their grandchildren? Maybe if they stopped charging us as much as thirty times the actual production cost of a cd...

Funnily enough, the root kit has also been employed by enterprising hackers to cheat at WoW :P

Yeah it hardly encourages people to legitimately purchase the product.

If sony got their way they'd be selling air, taxing each breath, and sleeping with everyone's mothers.

Quote from Sony's director, Hessa:

Most people don't even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care?

For those of you who still haven't figured out what a rootkit is, one could compare it to saying:

Most people don't even know what AIDS is, so why should they care?

Source: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4989260

Audio source: http://www.npr.org/dmg/dmg.php?prgCode= ... rwriting=1

(may not work directly, if so visit the normal story source and click-thru from there)

omg ffs lets bomb sony =\ stopid [wagon]."

if i dont know what something is, i DO care about it. really, hearing that from someone like him is plain stupid.

i barely ever bought cd's anyway, but now soney can forget my money.

Quote from Sony's director, Hessa:
Most people don't even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care?
For those of you who still haven't figured out what a rootkit is, one could compare it to saying:
Most people don't even know what AIDS is, so why should they care?
Hahaha :lol:

I read this a couple of days back, ratehr worrying. I hope Sony get fined for it and have to apologise.

Viruses use Sony anti-piracy CDs

Its no suprise this has happened to be honest. *sigh*

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/form14.html

Fill out that form for uninstall instructions.

You might also be interested in this case http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4424254.stm

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Just to let you know that its not so easy as being emailed an ininstalled program...

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/1 ... to_09.html

And sony refuses to list the cd's affected ^_^

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

BMG is german actually.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

Theres an Ebay UK, doesnt mean its a British company.

BMG is Bertelsmann Music Group so don't use that laughing smilie with me when ure so wrong ;)

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

Sony BMG will be reciving a nasty phone call from me within the next couple of days.

I didnt get infected but a windows machines on my network did I might see if I can claim compensation for the time it took me to track the rootkits down and manually remove them from all 6 windows machines.

I have nothing on my agenda for the next few months so I may aswell try

~Dan64Au

Since 27 Aug 2002

How lame. This actually discourages me from buying CDs, seeing that I can't rip them and listen to them on my computer/mp3 player.

i bought a ipod

i will either download or buy from apple.. more then likely buy

also... sony does not realize by doing this they just KILLED there sales to ANY and all people

so they are gonna die off for record sales

mementh.jpeg

The following statement is true. The previous statement is false. 60% of all statistics are made up 90% of the time

andrew i love you & want you to have my babys!!! <3:

Finally, I get to save the Earth with deadly lasers instead of deadly slide shows!

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi