Help that is unwanted?

foursideking

Here's the scenario. I'm coming back from movario's base with a bag full of magic logs, and decide to follow a guy who looks pretty noobish (lv65 wearing full mith). I keep following him to the bank, asking him if he's doing ok gp-wise, secretly wanting to give him a bit to help'm out. The guy finally notices me when we hit ardy north bank, tells me to "go ---- myself", with that bleeped out word being blocked by the game. I slowly walk away confused, questioning what's gotten in with people of this 'newer runescape generation'. Is it just me, or are the newer generation of people to this game meaner than the older generation?

div>

Yes, they're all stupid and I [bleep]ing hate them all.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

You're sitting on the bus.

So you spot some randomer eye'ing up your dirty tshirt - he makes eye contact with you then swings over and sits next down to you. Looking pointedly at your mucky shirt he says: 'Sooo, how you doing for cash mate?' ...

What happens next?

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

So you spot some randomer eye'ing up your dirty tshirt - he makes eye contact with you then swings over and sits next down to you. Looking pointedly at your mucky shirt he says: 'Sooo, how you doing for cash mate?' ...

What happens next?

+1

If it had been me you were using as a free taxi because you're too damn lazy to click your mouse following, I'd have taken you on a looooooooooooooooong walk.

imevil.jpg

What happens next?

+1

If it had been me you were using as a free taxi because you're too damn lazy to click your mouse following, I'd have taken you on a looooooooooooooooong walk.

This.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I'm a new runescaper and indeed, online gamer. I've only been playing MMOs for 2 years. However, I'm of an older generation in age than the majority of the players.

I look at the way players around me interact (both on free and members), and compare those interactions to the real life interactions I see among the 16, 13 and 10 year olds in my household and their peers. These kids can be truly horrible to each other, not jut their siblings but within their groups of friends!

Each of them is acquiring (to my eyes) an unhealthy disrespect of any form of authority or communal values. I have been told, to my face in real life, "I refuse to give someone respect just because they are an adult. Adults can't say they know what is good for me." They do not accept the idea of compromise for the common good in a personal or societal setting.

Online, where the screen removes the immediacy of the communication and depersonalises it, the problems can only be magnified as was discussed in this week's tip.it Times. I have come to the conclusion that the younger players in game assume that because their avatar looks like that, that every other avatar represents a person just like themselves. As I receive the sort of disrespect you describe, I tell myself to put it into that context.

On the subject of charity though, I too, like to pass on the kind of charity that I have received in game. Good friends have given me some gifts that seemed pricelessly out of my reach, complete strangers have given me a leg up with a gift of what they perceive to be junk which has put welcome gp in a junior's account. In each and every case, I have been genuinely grateful and I'm sure my benefactor felt good about themselves as a result. Is making another human being feel good such a difficult and unnatural thing to do? To receive thanks isn't the reason I give of my time, experience or junk-in-my-bank though; I want to pass on the help and community spirit that I have enjoyed so much and indirectly honour my benefactors and mentors.

If you had asked me that question I would have first been like this :huh: and then like this :?

Maybe he took that question as offence.

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

Keep in mind that most of the "newer generation" consists of kids aged between 11-17, so hearing stuff like what you mentioned are to be expected.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Considering it happens a lot, the person might've assumed you were going to make fun of him for being in full Mithril and that's why you were asking him about how much money he had. Likewise, it could just be him being ungrateful, but still...

It was nice of you to want to help the guy, though, and it's a shame things like this happen.

[hide]sevestia.png[/hide]

I don't mean to be rude, but like others have said, if you had been the one following and implying I'm poor due to my level and my equipment, I'd be pissed off and I'd have reacted the same way.

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

Follower of Guthix

The quill is a miracle, for it drinks darkness and sheds light.

Oh right, by the way, I'm a girl. No more calling me a guy you lot~

Here's the scenario. I'm coming back from movario's base with a bag full of magic logs, and decide to follow a guy who looks pretty noobish (lv65 wearing full mith). I keep following him to the bank, asking him if he's doing ok gp-wise, secretly wanting to give him a bit to help'm out. The guy finally notices me when we hit ardy north bank, tells me to "go ---- myself", with that bleeped out word being blocked by the game. I slowly walk away confused, questioning what's gotten in with people of this 'newer runescape generation'. Is it just me, or are the newer generation of people to this game meaner than the older generation?

You're a condescending [wagon], and the worst kind: The kind that isn't even aware of how much you piss people off.

As said before, how would you like it if I followed you around making comments like, "How's your salary? Those shoes look pretty cheap and dirty. Is that your car? Where did you buy it, Playskool? Nice house, what'd that run you, ten box top codes?" By the way, your signature was removed. Do you need help with basic math?

It's not a problem with "this generation" as every generation hates getting condescended to by some self-righteous self-appointed bearer of standards. If you want to help the guy out, help him out. Don't follow him around making him confess to every GP he's misspent or never had, likely so you can make yourself feel better by saying "Well I would have loved to help him, aren't I generous?" on the Tip.It boards later on when he snaps, and you try to paint him as the bad guy.

If it'd been me you were following, I'd have a few more choice words than simply go [bleep] yourself. It would involve the surgical retrieval of your head from a particular enclosed orifice located south of the abdomen. I can draw you a diagram if you'd like. People don't want to be followed around and condescended to in a video game, because although your think you're doing a service to others, it's really just your inflated ego talking.

Each of them is acquiring (to my eyes) an unhealthy disrespect of any form of authority or communal values. I have been told, to my face in real life, "I refuse to give someone respect just because they are an adult. Adults can't say they know what is good for me." They do not accept the idea of compromise for the common good in a personal or societal setting.

I'm sure finally being able to call yourself an adult feels great, but it's time to come to terms with reality: Being an adult does not mean you automatically gain respect from those younger than you. Respect is earned, not granted. Truth be told, there are a lot of stupid adults out there, and a lot of irresponsible adults. Growing up brings with it wisdom and experience, and quite frankly there are too many adults that don't learn from those experiences to grant respect across the board.

When I was 18, a senior (and still looked like I was 13), I was yelled at by a neighbor out her window for walking too far into the middle of the driveway (apartment complex). Fair enough, I was a little bit in from the curb, I moved to the side and continued the discussion I was having with the boy from my school I was talking to. She slams on her brakes, pulls back and demands I apologize for talking about her behind her back, which I denied (because I wasn't). I refused, and she went ape[cabbage] about how she was the adult, I was the child, and apparently whatever she said was fact, and that I should apologize anyway. I looked her square in the eyes and told her to [bleep] off, and that if she kept harassing me that I would call up the landlord and have her [wagon] booted to the street. She drove off.

Kids are idiots, adults are idiots with a bigger age and more toys to play with.

Is making another human being feel good such a difficult and unnatural thing to do? To receive thanks isn't the reason I give of my time, experience or junk-in-my-bank though; I want to pass on the help and community spirit that I have enjoyed so much and indirectly honour my benefactors and mentors.

Nope, but the OP wasn't making the person he was berating "feel good." There is nothing wrong with making other people feel good without the need for thanks, which is why I give 9% of my paycheck to charity, but all of my donations are made anonymously.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

The "new generation" is made up more of immature idiots than mature people. It's probably because the average age has decreased, and IN GENERAL, teenagers and kids are more immature than adults. I am by no means saying all adults are mature nor all teenagers/kids are immature, but I'm just citing a general stereotype, a trend.

Anyway, looking at your post, you seem to be just as much at fault. Seriously, asking him if "you need help gp-wise?" is like saying "hi beggar, need any cash?" or something like that. Couldn't you just have asked "want some gp?" or something along those lines, or better still, just offer trade and give him some gp when he accepts the offer? There's absolutely no need to phrase it the way you did - it just makes the person think you're trying to insult him.

And on a side note, there's no need to take pity on people unless they request it. It is offensive to some people if you pity them since they feel belittled and that they have no power/money/whatever.

If you really want to help someone, dont try to forcibly offer to help. You will make yourself look like an elitist, as they will probably understand your saying as: "I am better than you so you need my help now." Real way of helping someone is to help when they ask for it. I assisted one guy to do the whole dig site quest and even thought it took me an hour to assist him, as he was rather stupid, I kept myself generally helpful and nice. In the end, he was very grateful and called me a nice person, which are few in Runescape. I got a good feeling and he got a good feeling. Everyone won in the end and lived happily for the rest of their lives. Or atleast almost.

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

Now, I'm still a minor at the ripe age of 15, and yet, I've been told I look/act like I'm older than 18. Mainly the reason for this was how I was raised. I was raised to believe that If you respect people, people will respect you back, and have believed this throughout my life.

For the fact that he told you to [bleep] off, I think he had every right to. I would personally take the fact that you asked if I needed help getting gp as an insult, and be a little aggravated. Just because he was wearing mithril, doesn't mean he needs help; for all you know, he has full 3rd age melee/ rares.

[hide]

99 Strength 99 Fletching 99 Range 99 Hitpoints 99 Attack

99 Dungeoneering <3 99 Magic 99 Smithing 99 Herblore

99 Theving

Slayer Drops: 14 whips, 22 D boots, 27 Granite Mauls, 42 Effigies, 5 Dark Bows.

What would be cool is if Drakan and his minions kill all the sig heroes in the quest except Raptor who is wrecking. You and him team up and cave in some vampyre heads. He becomes a total bro in future quests and in a GM quest he receives a fatal injury and his last dying words to you are "Brofist, mang"

[/hide]

On a side note, people wear costumes and such all the time. What's stopping someone from liking the look of mithril? Furthermore, mithril is a very light metal, so perhaps he could be wearing it so he still has some protection when training or running around.

So someone wearing a costume from some random event will automatically be classified as poor since costumes are essentially free?

What happens next?

This. You have to give him the benefit of the doubt. It might not have necessarily been reject aid as it was retaliation for mockery.

They most likely have a main.

Just wait for someone to ask for help, instead of assuming they need help.

Also giving someone the trade limit in coins doesn't really do much if they are truly poor.

Here's the scenario. I'm coming back from movario's base with a bag full of magic logs,

Oooh, a highish level player. I like what I see, do go on...

and decide to follow a guy who looks pretty noobish (lv65 wearing full mith).

So far so good, albeit creepy...

I keep following him to the bank, asking him if he's doing ok gp-wise, secretly wanting to give him a bit to help'm out.

How condescending of you! I like that in a highish leveled player.

The guy finally notices me when we hit ardy north bank,

"Whoah, where'd that cool highish level guy come from!?"

tells me to "go ---- myself",

What could possess the little guy to do such a thing?!

with that bleeped out word being blocked by the game.

Thanks for clarifying. Very condescending of you again!

I slowly walk away confused, questioning what's gotten in with people of this 'newer runescape generation'.

Even the good walk confused slowly, as they say.

Is it just me, or are the newer generation of people to this game meaner than the older generation?

They may have that advantage of meanerness, but the older generation has the benefits of obliviousness and down-talkery!

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

You're a condescending [wagon], and the worst kind: The kind that isn't even aware of how much you piss people off.

As said before, how would you like it if I followed you around making comments like, "How's your salary? Those shoes look pretty cheap and dirty. Is that your car? Where did you buy it, Playskool? Nice house, what'd that run you, ten box top codes?" By the way, your signature was removed. Do you need help with basic math?

LMAOOO!!!!!

Tbh, if I was the lvl 65, I woulda thought you were a sarcastic douchebag. And would have done the same as the lvl 65.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

They may have that advantage of meanerness, but the older generation has the benefits of obliviousness and down-talkery!

+1 to immature kids. This topic seems to be divided between "adults" and the immature kids. But, from the other comments, we can see that the OP was good-natured in their means, but presented it quite arrogantly.

"adults" and the immature kids.

Don't disregard the immature adults, such as myself.

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

I'm sure you meant it nice, but he just didn't get it. Occasionally, I help other players too. I see new pures starting out, so I just give them a pair of green d'hide chaps and vambs. Engaging in nice convo first, likes "hey your a pure?" "cool, i was a pure once, too!", "here, i think this might help you". Then give them something. They usually respond very nicely, and I'll feel happy and he'll feel happy. So next time, don't follow him around and stalk him, start small talk, and then help him.

Staurolite.png