Best bolts for Jad?

pgmr185

So, I'm working on my 10th attempt at the fight caves, and I'm looking to shake things up a little. So far I've been using broad bolts for the caves, and diamond bolts for Jad. It's worked out pretty well, and I'm really only dying because of messing up prayers.

That said, I figure that better bolts couldn't hurt. My question is which bolts would help out the most? I've never used the higher level bolts before, so I don't know how effective they will be.

Dragon tipped bolts seem like they could do a lot of damage and they were my first choice. Onyx bolts on the other hand have a chance to heal and do "extra damage", whatever that means. I was a little surprised at first that the bolts are very similarly priced (I figured out why) so cost won't really be an issue in deciding between the two.

So for those who know these things, my question is which of the two will actually do the most damage. If it's not the onyx bolts, will the healing effect make up for the loss of damage?

Both of the bolts you mentioned are too expensive to even be considered using for jad, only other option I can think of would be karils cbow + bolt racks maybe. But really, you should be able to kill him with diamond (e)'s.

2dvjurb.png

Those are too much, really. You can do well enough with diamond (e), though I swear by using emerald (e) bolts -- they made that fight almost ridiculously easy. Anything above diamond is just unnecessary.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

MischlingsSH.png

Yeah, I know that I can get away with diamond bolts, but I think that I need to try something else just to keep me from going crazy.

I'll agree that they are both expensive, but with the accumulator I really don't use that many bolts per attempt. In my 10 attempts I think that I've gone through a total of about 150 diamond bolts. If a million or so gp will help me out, I've got enough cash laying around my bank that I'm not using that it really isn't an issue.

So with that in mind (I know that I don't really need them, and they are both very expensive) which is better?

edit...

Not sure if it was clear, but I meant to use the bolts only on Jad. I'll be using broad bolts for everything else in the caves.

I'm kind of curious as well. I always mess up at the healers. Some claim you can outshoot the healers, but I can't manage that with 97 range and diamond (e).

So it would be nice if i could weaken Jad first with broads and then use the high end bolts mentioned by the person in the opening post to finish him off, no matter what the healers do.

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

Well if your only dying because of the prayers you should check out the prayer switching guide here, if you already haven't.

http://forum.tip.it/topic/181159-prayer-switching-guide-for-tztok-jad/

With that said, using better bolts such as dragon or onyx will provide a faster kill, which means less times you have to prayer switch and less chances you'll mess up. Now with dragonstone and onyx bolts (e) being close in price I'd say use the onyx bolt (e) on Jad.

~ Captainkidd

You're going overkill with this.

I take jad down easily with just broad bolts (ignores 96 range :rolleyes:)

But honestly, the highest bolt you should even consider using is diamond.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

Yeah, I know that it's overkill. But, after all these attempts I'd take a nuclear bomb down with me if I could.

In truth, even the best bolts probably won't help with the problem that I'm having. I really don't have any trouble with "prayer switching" at all. What happens is that when the healers come out, I end up forgetting to switch prayers because I am too distracted with them.

Just finished attempt 11 a minute ago, with predictable results. Off to the GE!

Yeah, I know that it's overkill. But, after all these attempts I'd take a nuclear bomb down with me if I could.

In truth, even the best bolts probably won't help with the problem that I'm having. I really don't have any trouble with "prayer switching" at all. What happens is that when the healers come out, I end up forgetting to switch prayers because I am too distracted with them.

I have the same problem. All goes fine till the healers show up. then I mess up with prayers. I already got more than 600k ranging experience at the moment in fight caves alone. And I melee the first part.

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

I have the same problem. All goes fine till the healers show up. then I mess up with prayers. I already got more than 600k ranging experience at the moment in fight caves alone. And I melee the first part.

The whole thing with jad is focus, if you focus on prayer switching and pull the healers slowly even if Jad heals up it's not a big deal. Jad takes damage rather easily, if you never goof a prayer switch because you take your time you won't fail(easier said then done but doable).

To the OP, dragon e spec is said not to work on Jad. I'd say diamond e should hit him pretty much as well as anything, unless you wanna take a hand cannon.

chaosoffar.png

I think diamond would be the best because it has a chance to ignore the enemy's defence and armour. So the others may mean you'd hit a higher amount, diamond would mean they're the only bolt which helps you hit more often.

I used broad myself though.

imagangster.png

Really, here is another angle for you. Try bring vengance. I don't need the space, and if you end up getting hit something like a 68 or w/e, that hurts but doesn't kill, Jad takes a good bit of damage. Might be worth a try, if it doesn't distract you too much.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

It's a minor detail, but keep in mind your bolt special sound in your decision.

For example, Onyx bolt specials are very loud and very long. A special going off may block/distract you from hearing Jad's attack, and possibly mess up your prayer switching.

Jad has pretty low defense, so really there isn't of a need to go over the top with gem-tipped bolts. In my personal opinion rune bolts hit just fine, and can shell out plenty of 30+ hits.

Guess I could just stick with broad bolts. They hit 30+ as well. The special of diamond (e) doesn't hit that often and when it does it doesn't guarantee a high hit.

Tried once again yesterday. It went slightly better again then last time. I got hit luring the first healer, but I managed to brew. But it went wrong again with second and third healer.

Maybe next time.

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

Oh well, with your stats... you can just rush Jad with veng + claw special after 50% health.

Guess I could just stick with broad bolts. They hit 30+ as well. The special of diamond (e) doesn't hit that often and when it does it doesn't guarantee a high hit.

Tried once again yesterday. It went slightly better again then last time. I got hit luring the first healer, but I managed to brew. But it went wrong again with second and third healer.

Maybe next time.

Keep keep trying. It took my 14 attempts and pretty much my entire runescape time was: Go empty MTK, go to GE to buy supplies, go to oogloog for boosts, go to fight caves, die at fight caves. Rage quit for the next 2 days. Rinse + repeat.

You'll make it eventually.

Oh, and I don't actually know how much onyx bolts heal for but even if they get you an extra 50 hp, it's not going to make much difference when he can hit 98's

GOOD LUCK!

Schmuall.png

give F2P a penny and they want a dime; give P2P a quarter, they want 100,000 dollars, your car, house, boat, social security number, credit card numbers, drivers license, clothes on your back and everything you ever owned or interacted with ever

Oh well, with your stats... you can just rush Jad with veng + claw special after 50% health.

I have claws. I don't have vengeance.

Today's attempt went reasonably well. I managed to lure 3 healers. Unfortunately I messed up twice and unfortunately he hit 90+ twice. If he had just hit with 50+ i might have made it because I managed to brew in between a few times.

Maybe next time. ;)

I stopped counting the number of attempts on purpose. (closer to 20 than to 10).

I noticed that with each attempt there is less of a nervousness nowadays. I know now that I should be able to do it. If I can keep my act together. Maybe next time.

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

I'm on attempt 13 right now. Neither dragon or onyx bolts made much of a difference, so I'm back to diamond.

If I don't make it this time, I may try to rush him with claws once the healers come out. I figure that it's mathematically possible for 2 specs + vengeance to kill him when he's at 125hp.

I'm lasting longer each time, and can successfully manage to eat and engage the healers. But, as the battle wears on, sooner or later I always end up losing my concentration.

edit...

For anyone curious, the dragon bolt effect DID seem to work on Jad, it just didn't do enough damage to make a difference.

Diamond(e) hit higher and more often I'm sure, since the runecross bow has a higher range atk bonus, making it more accurate. It's also only one notch slower then the crystal bow, so I would lean more towards the cross bow.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png