Familiarisation - Corrections/Comments

We are happy to announce the release of our Familiarisation Guide! Comments and corrections should be posted here.

http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?page=familiarisation.htm

~Cowman

SerpentEye Edit: If you are providing a Locations hint that is currently missing from the guide, we would appreciate it if you provided the exact wording of the hint as it appears in game -- while not necessary, screenshots would be greatly appreciated.

1.png
generic_signature.png

I don't see why the fishing guild is mentioned in the getting around quickly bit. As it in no ways helps you get anywhere faster.

Also in terms of it being a guide it some what lacks a guide of HOW to play the game. Sure it says how to get there, what you get on your screen and what the rewards are. But it doesn't give any info of actually playing the game tactics wise other than "there are raw shard piles scattered about"

It should atleast give an idea of try to stay x squares away from familiars tht recognise you. Rocks etc can be used to hide from familiars. Use run tactically to dodge familiars hu might lower your focus.

It also fails to mention the fact that u get booted out after 20 minutes (assuming u still have focus and havent got 60 shard piles) and that you can leave at any time via the central obelisk

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I don't see why the fishing guild is mentioned in the getting around quickly bit. As it in no ways helps you get anywhere faster.

Also in terms of it being a guide it some what lacks a guide of HOW to play the game. Sure it says how to get there, what you get on your screen and what the rewards are. But it doesn't give any info of actually playing the game tactics wise other than "there are raw shard piles scattered about"

It should atleast give an idea of try to stay x squares away from familiars tht recognise you. Rocks etc can be used to hide from familiars. Use run tactically to dodge familiars hu might lower your focus.

It also fails to mention the fact that u get booted out after 20 minutes (assuming u still have focus and havent got 60 shard piles) and that you can leave at any time via the central obelisk

Considering you can only play it once a week, I'm sure they weren't exactly sure of everything there, that's why you tell them what you know instead of, at least it seemed to me, sounding rude about it. You have to help out the crew if you want the best guide, so it probably would have sounded better if you didn't say "it lacks" and "it fails", and instead said it like "You could mention" "You should include" etc.

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

I said it lacks a guide of HOW to play it.

They listed some things it SHOULD mention.

And something it failed to mention.

It's only rude if you want to read it that way. It lacks a guide of how do the actual game part of it is perfectly polite and true. It failing to mention a fact is equally true and polite.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Paw_Claw,

Thank you for your input.

I am currently in the process of re-working the guide so it is more clear as how to actually play the game.

I have included several of your suggestions already, and reworded the Requirements section; if you have any more specific elements that you feel the guide is lacking, please post them or PM them to me and I would be happy to see what I can do about getting them added.

As far as exact numbers and data goes (in example, how many squares exactly does one need to say away?) -- if you have this information available, we're sure our users would appreciate you posting it. :)

As this minigame is a weekly one only, we lack the usual advantage of being able to replay and research it as quickly as we normally could do.

Thank you,

- SerpentEye

Edit: I forgot to mention that, while these changes are being implemented and worked on, they do not appear in the guide quite yet :) Thanks!

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

Hi

There's some locations that are missing of the list.

Sun, sand, freshly-picked fruit and pretty music. - This is Catherby, by the fruit tree patch.

I spoke to a tree within sight of people going over a log. - This is the Tree Gnome Stronghold, by the agility course and spirit tree.

With patch, castle, dock. - This is Etceteria

In the ground beneath the garden where creatures burrow - The Mole's lair, under Falador Garden

There might be some more though

Edited by SerpentEye
Please see my post below :) Thanks.

Jabawoki13.png

Jabawoki13.png

Achievement Diaries

Completed: Lumbridge, Falador, Seers, Varrock, Fremennik and Karamja

Finished Hard: Ardougne

Music Tracks - 703/704

Nomad killed at 114 combat Slayer drops: Black Mask x2 Clue scroll rewards: Guthix Platebody - 900k, Guthix F Helm 1mil, Bandos Kite - 2.3mil

Familiars spotting you wise:

It seems to be around 3 or 4 square range in which they can see you if you are to their side.

In front of them seemed to be closer to 6 -7

Behind seemed to be a blind spot, so u can get literally next to them.

Obviously these need further research but it seems at least it does vary depending on where u are in relation to their face.

Also might be worth noting as a tactic that doing laps of the outer wall seems to be a good way to get shard piles. There's a lot of trees lakes etc to dodge behind and there's a good 15 or so piles around the edges.

Also piles do respawn eventually after you collect them (seemed to take around 5 minutes)

And piles are individual. Eg if another player collects a pile you're running for it disappears for them but not for you.

Edit also a point that I've seen cause alot of confusion is when you ask where he is and are told "He's been working hard so probably off relaxing somewhere" (think wording slighty off) ALOT of people think this is a clue, when it really means no Obelisk. Could be worth mentioning or even adding to the clue table.

Edited by SerpentEye
Please see my post below :) Thanks.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Paw_Claw and Jabawoki13,

Thank you both for your input and suggestions.

I reworked the guide, and I hope it is now clearer as to what's involved in the game.

I have clarified subjects as best as I could based on the information that we currently have at this time. In a few more days, I guarantee we'll all be back "out in the field" doing more research. :P

With Jabawoki13's input we were able to confirm several clues that we were unsure about.

You have both been credited for your help.

Thank you so much once again,

- SerpentEye

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

How to play: the shards you have (at least in my case) were systematically placed around the whole of the expansive area that is the game. going systematically in a mine-sweeping fashing, such as you would mow a lawn, up and down, up and down, I collected all 60 shards in 6 minutes, having recently dipped in the pools for infinate run.

I doubt you will find a faster, more efficient method. :)

I failed to see any systematic placing to them. The places seemed universal to all players and where somewhat randomly splattered about

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I think they were indeed placed in somewhat of a pattern. I found that going around the outside (keeping the "outer wall" in sight at all times) and then going into the middle area toward the end worked well. It almost seems counter-intuitive, but I only had four enemies of mine at the end of my run and I felt like I saw less of them in the middle (may have been a coincidence) than on the outer rim, since I saw at least one of each of those kinds on my first pass around the outside.

I have the feeling that trying to formulate a specific plan may not be helpful each week, but rather a general plan to make sure you cover the whole area without missing shard piles would be best. The tip about Oo'glog is great - that's what I did before entering the obelisk - but it might get adjusted, because while the dip does "revitalize" you in both body and mind, I'm not sure if Jagex realized the effect carried over. We'll see, I suppose. I also don't know if things like the Explorer's ring will work at recharging - perhaps someone tested it?

Finally, how about a "drop log" of sorts for the box? I got 12 polar kyatt furs and 15 earth talismans at level 68 summoning collecting all 60 shard piles...all noted (and I guess shards? I can't remember exactly). Why a log of these? Because people might want to compare whether it is worth doing the triple charm drops or the likelihood of getting something worth using their charms on.

I know that's a daunting task, but I think it's worth it.

[hide=My Stats]Attack:86/Hitpoints:88/Mining:74

Strength:86/Agility:76/Smithing:75

Defence:86/Herblore:74/Fishing:78

Ranged:86/Thieving:73/Cooking:92

Prayer:78/Crafting:82/Firemaking:86

Magic:85/Fletching:77/Woodcutting:88

Runecraft:71/Slayer:80/Farming:88

Construction:70/Hunter:70/Summoning:69

Dungeoneering:18

Total level: 1936

295/303 Quest Points

Combat Level: 117[/hide]

[hide=Interesting Links]My Blog

SportsGuy's Short Guide to Ghostly Warriors

Familiarisation Reward Research[/hide]

I think they were indeed placed in somewhat of a pattern. I found that going around the outside (keeping the "outer wall" in sight at all times) and then going into the middle area toward the end worked well. It almost seems counter-intuitive, but I only had four enemies of mine at the end of my run and I felt like I saw less of them in the middle (may have been a coincidence) than on the outer rim, since I saw at least one of each of those kinds on my first pass around the outside.

I have the feeling that trying to formulate a specific plan may not be helpful each week, but rather a general plan to make sure you cover the whole area without missing shard piles would be best. The tip about Oo'glog is great - that's what I did before entering the obelisk - but it might get adjusted, because while the dip does "revitalize" you in both body and mind, I'm not sure if Jagex realized the effect carried over. We'll see, I suppose. I also don't know if things like the Explorer's ring will work at recharging - perhaps someone tested it?

Finally, how about a "drop log" of sorts for the box? I got 12 polar kyatt furs and 15 earth talismans at level 68 summoning collecting all 60 shard piles...all noted (and I guess shards? I can't remember exactly). Why a log of these? Because people might want to compare whether it is worth doing the triple charm drops or the likelihood of getting something worth using their charms on.

I know that's a daunting task, but I think it's worth it.

Yes, I'm sure that the Oo'glog pool effect will get changed one of these days, however, at the current moment it works ;)

But also, I think that it would be far to difficult to include a drop log from the box. As far as I know, you can be given any two Summoning seconds (assuming you have the level for it to be used), which, last time I looked, was mentioned in the guide. However, it might be useful to mention the price range of the ingredients that are given out, which is commonly 50-150k. With a drop log, it would just be listing all of the seconds, and researching the number of items you can get, which would take a very long time to do so.

codguy.png

Codguy.png

But also, I think that it would be far to difficult to include a drop log from the box. As far as I know, you can be given any two Summoning seconds (assuming you have the level for it to be used), which, last time I looked, was mentioned in the guide. However, it might be useful to mention the price range of the ingredients that are given out, which is commonly 50-150k. With a drop log, it would just be listing all of the seconds, and researching the number of items you can get, which would take a very long time to do so.

My summoning seconds ended up being for something I don't have the level for and dreadfowls. Something I'm ridiculously high level for and am best not wasting the time making. (Why oh why couldn't I have gotten something useful like snakeskins? I currently need those.)

Silverfox30.png

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.
^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

My summoning seconds ended up being for something I don't have the level for and dreadfowls. Something I'm ridiculously high level for and am best not wasting the time making. (Why oh why couldn't I have gotten something useful like snakeskins? I currently need those.)

Oh hey, guess I read that somewhere. Sources can't always be correct ;)

codguy.png

Codguy.png

It does say it only gives one you can use.

What was this second? Odds are it has a lower use than you realised.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

It does say it only gives one you can use.

What was this second? Odds are it has a lower use than you realised.

Fire tally. When I skimmed the list to see what I could use it for, I found it was for Fire Titans, which are level 79. I'm level 65--was 64 at the time. I ended up using them to make and sell fire tiaras for the RC xp.

Silverfox30.png

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.
^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

I didn't see it mentioned in the guide; but Pikkupstix can also give you the reward for familiarisation. Just so people don't go round trying to find where Pikkenmix is :thumbup:

EAVnEYl.png

Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!

I didn't see it mentioned in the guide; but Pikkupstix can also give you the reward for familiarisation. Just so people don't go round trying to find where Pikkenmix is :thumbup:

Did you happen to get a screenie of this? Or can someone else confirm as well? That'd be very useful information for those who are saving up their 40 minutes for a specific slayer task, or even to go and gear up, then swing by Pikkupstix on the way!

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

I forgot to save teh screenie; but yeah, i went to check where pikkenmix was and he just said "You've been busy helping too" then mentions bout being able to give you the reward to (the triple charms or the summoning ingredients)

I'll get a screenie next time if no-one else gets one in the meantime

EAVnEYl.png

Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!

Dear noob Drazhar44,

Thank you for the submission!

This has been confirmed (thanks Diesel!) and added to the guide -- it should appear on the site shortly!

Once again, thanks for posting! :) Really appreciate it.

- SerpentEye

P.S., log in-game more.

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png