Skill Capes

Poopingman

Belittled yet again for being a "non-trimmed" n00b at level 127. Let me repeat that, level 127; I've decided to finally vent on the entire concept of skill capes. I feel that the entire concept has made us forget what really matters and is enjoyable in the game. Everything is a race to level 99 and anything less is inferior. This is hallmarked by a lack of motivating content with most skills past the 80s. After that all there is to really look forward to is the cape, a proverbial trophy of wasted time. It almost feels like everyone is doing it to validate themselves toward other players. And when said players consist of as immature a fanbase as ever, featuring a "look at me!" attitude that is perfectly satiated by the entire concept of skill capes, you will constantly be judged by what they see on your back, and little else.

I'm fresh off of another belittling attack because my cape isn't trimmed. Since when is having a skill at 99 -something that was once a rarity in its own right- not enough? Since now. What a joke this has become.

Metal fans, check out my band!

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Im only level 101, but still people ask why dont I have skill cape. I reply: "Because im a questing person and my skills are evenly trained." Which results me having a better total level than some higher leveld than me. But yeah, I hate it when people think that high leveled person automatically means lots of 99.

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

dead right, couldn't say it better myself

anyone who gets off on rs-bullying isn't even worth the time it takes to put them on your ignore list, shrug it off pal

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

I agree, skill capes have a bit too much hype attached to them - Jagex intended for them to be a motivation or an incentive to max out in a skill but have turned ugly. It's almost like the game could be described within a simple sentence; "Whoever has the most capes wins". And sadly, I don't think that there's much you can do about it, it's our competitive nature's own fault. :(

I agree, skill capes have a bit too much hype attached to them - Jagex intended for them to be a motivation or an incentive to max out in a skill but have turned ugly. It's almost like the game could be described within a simple sentence; "Whoever has the most capes wins". And sadly, I don't think that there's much you can do about it, it's our competitive nature's own fault. :(

heh, skillers

pkers have simpler ways of defining victory ;)

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

I have had the same happen to me quite often when I wore my skill cape. I don't wear it quite often anymore (except when I am skiling) as the stats suck during combat. But people need to learn to let people play the way they want to play. The game is not all about how many 99s one has or the number of skill capes one owns.

Yeah, happens to me pretty often if I'm skilling and decide to wear my untrimmed hp cape. I just get called soul wars noob, pest control noob, or any other insult, even by lvl 100s who only have fletching or cooking at 99. I just brush it off, because I know that my character is usually better than theirs overall. The funny thing is, higher levels or similar level players never comment on it, only the lower leveled ones. I'm gonna try to get up to 135 or 136 with untrimmed hp cape, just for the fun of it, and I like the look of it.

But really, just ignore them, they just can't realize that different people play for different reasons. Not everybody wants to get multiple 99s as quickly as possible.

C_ac_t_u_a_r.png

Yeah, happens to me pretty often if I'm skilling and decide to wear my untrimmed hp cape. I just get called soul wars noob, pest control noob, or any other insult, even by lvl 100s who only have fletching or cooking at 99. I just brush it off, because I know that my character is usually better than theirs overall. The funny thing is, higher levels or similar level players never comment on it, only the lower leveled ones. I'm gonna try to get up to 135 or 136 with untrimmed hp cape, just for the fun of it, and I like the look of it.

The only ones that care are the ones that are insecure about their own achievements then. Ignoring them is the right choice.

To be fully honest though, untrimmed attack at 127 is pretty awesome.

Im going to give my opinion about this. My first 99 was firemaking. Was the 4,412th person to do it way back in 2007. I did it mainly because I like the skill a lot and a little for a the cape. I was hammered with the same kind of comments you got for your 99 attack cape. At first I was at a lost. People if anything should say "Wow awesome job with 99 firemaking" Ect ect... but here I am getting made fun of. This just made me realize that your basiclly made fun of for everything you do in the game. So when people did make fun of any of my capes I just ignore it. Does not matter what I say or do...ill always be made fun of or attacked with my capes.

So in other words just ignore it and go on. People who make fun of others for their accomplishments are doing nothing but showing how stupid they are.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

I honestly hate anyone who asks me why I don't have any 99 skills. I simply don't like any skill that much to train it to 99. I'd rather have fun and train other skills in an enjoyble manner than just one for the sake of "showing off". I think if I got 99 cooking, firemaking, or fletching it would be more demeaning than anything else. It would just show that I give in to the little bullies on Runescape, and train a worthless skill to 99 just to try and show off. If I'd get any 99, it would be something useful, and for the sake of actually using it, not showing off the 99.

However, to be honest, many 99's aren't worth training when I have so many other skills to raise that are of use. Once I get high enough levels in all my skills, then things start slowing down, then I have no choice but to shoot for a 99.

If I wanted to raise, say, my 94 magic to 99, with the time and money it takes me to do that for a slight benefit (miasmic barrage, fire surge) and the show-off cape, I could have trained my 88 strength, 80 summoning, 79 ranged, or 82 prayer, for much more rewarding benefits.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Skills capes have become a sort of "standard". Like every standard, it has its flaws, but to be honest I think it works far more often then it fails. How many more times does a high level have a skillcape than a high level not? True, many high levels do not have a skillcape, but you can't blame anyone for assuming that a random high level has one.

Skills capes have become a sort of "standard". Like every standard, it has its flaws, but to be honest I think it works far more often then it fails. How many more times does a high level have a skillcape than a high level not? True, many high levels do not have a skillcape, but you can't blame anyone for assuming that a random high level has one.

Define high level. Its different for everyone. Your theory is far too vague for me too consider. Just re-read it out loud to yourself.

Anyway, we've focused more on the bashing due to "untrimmed" capes as compared to the presence of the cape at all. Read the thread before you post, it was just too blatantly obvious you didn't here for me to ignore.

Metal fans, check out my band!

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

Define high level. Its different for everyone. Your theory is far too vague for me too consider. Just re-read it out loud to yourself.

Anyway, we've focused more on the bashing due to "untrimmed" capes as compared to the presence of the cape at all. Read the thread before you post, it was just too blatantly obvious you didn't here for me to ignore.

I read the thread don't worry about that :wink:

But those are just my thoughts, not exactly on COMPLETELY topic, but it's what came to mind when I read it. If you would like my opinion on your topic though, I feel as if those people have a logic basis for their assumption, but the naivety is completely ignorant. There is no point in assuming someone is inferior to you in any way due to any standards you set, such as lacking a trimmed cape, or a cape in general.

Sometimes, people base their assessment of someone off the little information they know, such as the cape they wear or the words they say. And from that small, most likely incorrect assessment, they base their behavior and speech toward that person. It really isn't fair for someone to give you a small glance and decide who you are and draw conclusions. People are just a lot more than that. It's really immortal to threat anyone different based on this first-sight judgment. This thread is a good example.

But perhaps it's not any fault of the person, since those mistakes are, perhaps, forgiveable. But as you say, they get extremely irritating and eventually get to the point where they are downright insulting.

I've been in that situation before, I know how it feels.

I fully agree.

I was the creator of a (now dead) thread in the debate club called "skillcapes - advantageous or disadvantageous". I advocated the fact that they were disadvantageous for the game since it not only encourages people to belittle others, but also widens the gap between raw materials and processed products.

Belittled yet again for being a "non-trimmed" n00b at level 127. Let me repeat that, level 127; I've decided to finally vent on the entire concept of skill capes. I feel that the entire concept has made us forget what really matters and is enjoyable in the game. Everything is a race to level 99 and anything less is inferior. This is hallmarked by a lack of motivating content with most skills past the 80s. After that all there is to really look forward to is the cape, a proverbial trophy of wasted time. It almost feels like everyone is doing it to validate themselves toward other players. And when said players consist of as immature a fanbase as ever, featuring a "look at me!" attitude that is perfectly satiated by the entire concept of skill capes, you will constantly be judged by what they see on your back, and little else.

I'm fresh off of another belittling attack because my cape isn't trimmed. Since when is having a skill at 99 -something that was once a rarity in its own right- not enough? Since now. What a joke this has become.

Solution is very very simple. Just don't wear one. You might have one. You might have 10. Just keep them in the bank and don't wear them. Problem solved.

IMO the capes look a little silly anyway. They remind me of when I was 8 and tied a bath towel around my neck and went running through house shouting SOOOPERMAN!

It reminds me of the book "The millionaire next door" -- which talks of people who have amassed at least a million in real wealth -- but live modestly, drive the 10 year old car (and in fact always buy used cars). They don't dump all their money into the Lexus, McMansion, and flashy jewelry. So why should we do the same in the game?

I agree with your point about lack of motivating content past skills in the 80s BTW.

I have a fishing skill cape. Getting 99 Fishing was a major challenge, and took a lot of hard work. I don't have another skill that's 99 my closest is 88 cooking. I could get 99 cooking, but I just don't really feel any pressure in getting another 99 like that. I had fun getting 99 fishing, and it was a grind, but I don't play the game for the grind. If you get a 99 in a skill it's a well done achievement, and in the end of the day if you had fun it's all that matters. Utilize that ignore list, and report abuse button, and stand tall and with pride with the well earned cape you have.

advent-children-cloud-honest1.jpg

99 Fishing 11/12/2006 790th fisher to 99

Former Tip.it Events team leader

Dunno about you, I am combat 125(about to be level 126) and my highest level is 94 hp because I really do not care for skill capes. Sometimes people ask me do you have any 99s, I say no because I do not want to spend time getting something that is useless and they respect that. I have never had any problem with this, sounds to me maybe is just because you met one person who is not so nice.

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

Dunno about you, I am combat 125(about to be level 126) and my highest level is 94 hp because I really do not care for skill capes. Sometimes people ask me do you have any 99s, I say no because I do not want to spend time getting something that is useless and they respect that. I have never had any problem with this, sounds to me maybe is just because you met one person who is not so nice.

Meh, thats the problem with runescape nowadays. Everything is a race, everything is "srs bsns"

What they need to learn from the people who have been playing since the beginning (or close to the beginning) is that in Runescape, yes there is a golden rule; and that rule is to have fun. It doesnt matter what you do, what you accomplish, granted it falls within the rules (although if you wanna break some thats fine with me, just dont get caught ;)) and as long as you enjoy doing it, then thats game.

Screenshot2011-08-18at14818PM-1.png

Typically, I get this:

Other person: Why don't you have any skillcapes?

Tvesh Szat: Because I have a life.

dont lie, you have 7 skillcapes worth of total exp

Rock_Hard.png

Both of my 99's are that level because they are my favorite skills and I plan to continue using them. Even if skillcapes didn't exist, I would still probably have these skills at 99. I have almost never heard any criticism of my 99's maybe because they aren't considered noob ones and I wasn't that high a level when I had untrimmed range (I got it trimmed at 112 combat). Actually, these days I wish people didn't respect the construction cape so much. Honestly, I think that range was harder than construction. Every time I log in wearing the construction cape I get people asking how much it cost and if they can see my house. Also the amount of people that want to be added to my friends list has gone up like crazy (I always lie and tell them it's full, that usually shuts them up).

elapid66.png

99 range 6.12.09 / quest cape 8.16.09 / 99 construction 2.17.10

1.) With your name, and untrimmed cape, I would make fun of you. For pete's sake, your have 63 PRAYER!

2.) I was untrimmed attack until 132. It looked cool. What i think is all that matters.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]