runescape economy

tp0814

okay so i was wondering... how in the past year phats skyrocketed up... for example blue phat was around 12m, then a couple months later it went up to around dragon chains price which was around 30m, then after a year or so blue phat is now 80m... will it ever stop raising. i am assuming it will reach a point where the price will be so riducolous that no one would be able to afford it. like over 100+m which i know lots of people but yet less then 200 in rs could be able to afford it... so what there will have to be sometime where phats and all other discountinued items prices will drop madly... i am assuming one blue phats hit over 100+m which i know has happened be4, there will be mass complaints to jagex and someway the market will crash....i really see no point in have discountinued items if they only make you look rich... jagex should incloud more nontradable items that own to show stats not how much people can buy stuff for... like fire cape for example... its a lot more rare then how many phats are out there, once you see a fire cape it shows instant status about how they are so pro to be able to kill a lvl 702 instead of see some lvl 3 with a blue phat going like "no life merchanter"...

im hoping they will come out with more god like items that are non trabable, and start redroping discontiuned items annually but make them still tradable...

like drop phats for one year on christmas

then santas the next year

then masks after

and then stuff like that....

right now i think prices are effed up, considering i lost my red phat to a bug, thats why im so pissed @ the economy

None of the holiday items will ever stop rising. Poeple will keep merchanting them so they go up and the people merchanting them will have enough money to buy it not matter how high it is.

cyco_1.jpg

As long as inflation keeps up, and the demand keeps up, prices over the long run will keep going up.

im hoping they will come out with more god like items that are non trabable, and start redroping discontiuned items annually but make them still tradable...

Might as well give up your hopes on that one...not going to happen.

1 - Prices only go up becouse there are people who can afford it.

2 - Jagex will do nothing about this problem.

But i agree 100% with you, i was talking with a friend about it some minutes ago... we were talking about how merchanting is bad...

You can fish sharks

You can mine rune

You can make deaths

You can make rune plates

You can do what ever u want with ur lvl 99, but you will never be richer than a merchanter.

Thats the sad part about rs

You can fish sharks

You can mine rune

You can make deaths

You can make rune plates

You can do what ever u want with ur lvl 99, but you will never be richer than a merchanter.

but isnt that the way the world works? you may be the best computer anaylist in the world but youll never be richer than walmart, meijer, and other massive companies. in essence they are the merchanters of the world they buy low and sell higher. while i agree it would be real nice to buy a phat or 2 afterall a little over a year ago it was my goal to have an entire set. but now with the current rate of inflation something durastic would have to happen in order for me to manage that.

You can fish sharks

You can mine rune

You can make deaths

You can make rune plates

but isnt that the way the world works? you may be the best computer anaylist in the world but youll never be richer than walmart, meijer, and other massive companies. in essence they are the merchanters of the world they buy low and sell higher. while i agree it would be real nice to buy a phat or 2 afterall a little over a year ago it was my goal to have an entire set. but now with the current rate of inflation something durastic would have to happen in order for me to manage that.

Thats how it works... But... Isnt it (censored) idiot???... :wink: :roll:

PS: sorry mods =P

some people put their time into raising skills .... hence they have high skill lvls.

others put all their time into making gp ... hence they have high gp lvls.

if you raise all skills, you wont need a merchanter. (but you might still want to use them to save you some time)

sig5qf.gif

# 1101 to 99 range on 12-18-05

85 slayer on 12-18-05 with combat at 102;

retired from members since Feb 06.

Back since June 07. 2000+ total.

like over 100+m which i know lots of people but yet less then 200 in rs could be able to afford it...

Are you just pulling numbers out of your rear end here? Way, way more than 200 people have more than 100 million gold. If you count all of my items, I have more than 100 million gold.

so what there will have to be sometime where phats and all other discountinued items prices will drop madly...

This isn't true because there is a limitless amount of money entering the game. Every day fletchers introduce massive amounts of gold into the game, which the largely ineffective money sinks like the barrows repair costs can't begin to make up for. Think about how you see one or two people high alching at nearly any given bank at any time of day- heck, five or six at seers. They're all alching yew longs or mage longs. Think about all that new money coming into the game.

i really see no point in have discountinued items if they only make you look rich...

That is the point, champ. You don't have to like it; the marvelous thing about rares is that if you don't like them, you are entirely free not to buy, sell or trade them!

and start redroping discontiuned items annually but make them still tradable...

Haha, keep dreaming.

2 - Jagex will do nothing about this problem.

It's not a problem. Repeat after me: It's not a problem. Listen to me very closely: If you don't like party hats- if you have some irrational grudge against them like so, so many poor people seem to- you might want to pay close attention here, because I guess this is hard to understand since nobody seems to figure it out on their own-

You don't have to buy a party hat if you don't want to.

Isn't that just spiffy? See, it's cool because if you don't like party hats, you don't have to have anything to do with them! You can go your entire Runescape career without buying or selling a single rare! It's like buying things is entirely voluntary!

...why? You were never told that if you reach 99 in any given skill, you'll be able to make fame and wealth beyond your wildest dreams. You just seem to have assumed you should be able to.

(In fact, the majority of skills are downright useless for making money. I couldn't help but notice your sig says you're working to get level 99 smithing, and I couldn't help but appreciate the inherent irony here. Smithing, skill-wise, is like a giant hole. A hole that you throw gold into, and never see it come out of again. What I am saying here is that it is absolutely god-awful for making money.)

i like to raise my skills... i am not too concerned about the rare items in the game cause i can simply can't afford them lol.... the only reason i can't afford them is because i use my gp for what i thought i was supposed to be used for.... raising my skills....

RSN: drgnslyer15

Drgnslyer15.png

15 skills 90+ - 10 skills 99 - 200m+ total exp

I think You may be thinking about this all wrong. "To some price that nobody can afford, like maybe 200 ppl is all." Prices just don't rise because people say they do. Price rise because more GP is put into the game and the value of the rs gp goes down. P hat's won't be worth 200M if no one in the game could afford them...P hats won't be worth 200M if 20 ppl could afford them. And by afford i don't me that if they sell all their stuff they could just buy the Phat. I mean that once they buy that phat they'll still be comfortable with everything else they need to do that quick task, and other stuff.

I don't think P hats will Sky-rocket like they did over the last few months, but i'm sure they will rise slowly again.

If you look at the forums, their is a lot more selling post then their are buying. More people are trying to Merchant, and more people are failing.

I tried rare merchanting and sadly i started at the wrong time, Lost around 10M+ in that deal.

And about people hating merchants, sure they make lots of money, but its also hard work and they take big risk. Also merchants dont inflate prices, in fact they help the prices become more stable. Without merchants, their would be less competition, and prices would be jumping all over the place and no body would be able to predict them.

w4M8t.png

Essentially it all boils down to wether or not you want the status symbol of a phat. Thats all phats are, status symbols. The only reason for complaint is that they're getting harder to get. Which is the logical thing for status symbols to do, remain status symbols. I hope they never get rid of them.

about all this price increasing it mostly comes from the players in fally. ppl r thinking santas r gonna jump to 20m at x-mas??? why??? demand isnt gonna suddenly go up and the snatas arent going ne where... if rs actually worked like a normal economy the price of santas would crash at christmas. every` is buying thema nd hoarding them until x-mas waiting to sell them when the demand isnt gonna increase and they will have no1 to sell them to.

but as rares rise so does other things..

I started the game in late july the price of coal was 120 if you were lucky these days it goes for 200.. so yeh merchants are always making money but skilled involved people are also earning due to the deamnd of their products

seems to me ur hot cause u missed the bandwagon, i wonder if ud be so down on merchanting if u had collected a couple of phat sets and still had them now......

ne way,

merchanting is part and parcel of rs life. if it wasnt the stores would never have bought ur crafts

just like real life, there are ppl with differing talents, if anything, there should be a merchanting ability so that we could c just how good at money making these merchant are!

There IS a problem with them!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to discontinued items, people who duped in RS1, or simply merchant rares and market manipulate are making money too easily.

It's is NOT fair, because they can use that money to gain skills easily where others can't. For instance HERBLORE -- for any normal, working person it would take months and months to get 99 herblore. For a party hat merchant it would take days.

tifsbti6oi.gif

[Thanks to discontinued items, people who duped in RS1, or simply merchant rares and market manipulate are making money too easily.

The only ones I can possibly see your point for is the ones who got them from the drop or duping- in which case I reply well, sure it ain't fair, but life in general ain't fair. There's nothing that can be done about it now. Besides, most of the party hats are well out of the hands of the people who got them from drops by now. The guy above me is the exception, not the rule.

As for merchanters, I like how you just lump them right in with the dupers. You seem to have this impression that all you have to do to be a sucecssful merchanter is have a crapload of money for your initial investment, and then all of a sudden you'll make gold hand over fist by doing absolutely no work! Needless to say, that's not true- have you ever actually tried merchanting?

It's is NOT fair, because they can use that money to gain skills easily where others can't. For instance HERBLORE -- for any normal, working person it would take months and months to get 99 herblore.

That's just how herblore works. It's a buyable skill, just like prayer or smithing. Merchanters don't have much of an advantage when it comes to say, combat training or slayer. Also, nice job separating those mean ol' merchants from "normal, working people". Because merchanting isn't work, am I right? Moron.