Literature

Mr_Adam

EDIT: How could I forget His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman? I mean, I would never tell a kid to read them because they got so religious and became more a book with themes only an adult could understand. Great books, but I never understood why they were not marketed as adult books. I know very few people growing up who even read one of the books because they were complicated.

Is this the Golden Compass/Subtle Knife series? I read these when I was younger too, but I don't remember anything religious. These are excellent reads, and I would reccommend them to anyone who hasn't read them. I remember finishing the third (final?) book and just sitting there thinking, "When was the last time I actually felt emotional about a book?". They were very powerful.

They are extremely religious. But as previously stated, you probably wouldn't pick up on all those religious themes until you're older. But they are incredible books - probably my all time favourites :) And yeah, I definitely got emotional during the third one!

The third book basically turned out to be the Scientologists fighting the Christians.

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished Fantasy Lover. Lol, just lol.

I'll probably start Red Pyramid soon!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

My brother has The Red Pyramid and has read like, ten pages in two days. I FRIGGIN' WANT TO READ IT!

Until then, I am reading Covenant Of Genesis by Andy McDermott, the fourth and final book in the series released until end of this month when I turn in more money for average thrillers that only excite me because they are 500 pages of straight over-the-top violence. And when in Geometry class and bored to death, you do enjoy reading page after page of shooting and explosions.

(Finally) finished reading Journey to the Center of the Earth. Overall I enjoyed it.

I've started reading *gulp* Tolkien's The Hobbit; this is my second attempt to read it. Hopefully I'll get more than a few pages in this time.

Good luck! I hope you get through it because The Hobbit is a great book! I enjoy it more than LotR :P

I'm about half way through Red Pyramid!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

Good luck! I hope you get through it because The Hobbit is a great book! I enjoy it more than LotR :P

Well, my brother owned LotR and I managed to read the first two, plus the first half of Return of the King, and then I gave up. A while ago I forced myself to buy a copy of The Hobbit and it's just been sitting on my shelf, so I pick it up every once and a while and at least contemplate reading it. :P

Are you enjoying it so far? ^-^

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

Well, my brother owned LotR and I managed to read the first two, plus the first half of Return of the King, and then I gave up. A while ago I forced myself to buy a copy of The Hobbit and it's just been sitting on my shelf, so I pick it up every once and a while and at least contemplate reading it. :P

Are you enjoying it so far? ^-^

I found LotR to be a lot more wordy than The Hobbit. I prefer the style of writing in The Hobbit much more, so it was easier for me to get through it :)

And yes, I'm enjoying Red Pyramid! Tbh I usually do like to have a romantic side story in the books I read but despite this one lacking that, I'm liking the book a lot :) I'm an Ancient Egypt addict, as I think I covered in previous posts, so it appeals to me!

Posted Image

I found LotR to be a lot more wordy than The Hobbit. I prefer the style of writing in The Hobbit much more, so it was easier for me to get through it :)

And yes, I'm enjoying Red Pyramid! Tbh I usually do like to have a romantic side story in the books I read but despite this one lacking that, I'm liking the book a lot :) I'm an Ancient Egypt addict, as I think I covered in previous posts, so it appeals to me!

I agree; the Hobbit isn't quite as complicated and "over described" as LOTR was. That said, that's the brilliance of Tolkien...

I read the Hobbit when I was 11 or 12, LOTR when I was 13 or 14. Worked out fine that way.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I'm awaiting Speaker for the Dead and Ender's Shadow from my grandparents for my birthday. Both are part of the Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card.

I tried reading Hyperion, but I just couldn't get into it.

A Tale of Two Cities, 1984 (If you haven't read it yet), Lolita, Brave New World andDay of The Triffids are all good "classic" reads... my personal favorite being A Tale of Two Cities.

qs2X.png

"Only by going too far can one find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot

The Hobbit is definitely an easier read. Wasn't it intended for children at some point?

The Lord of the Rings can get a little dull at times (the lengthy descriptions are what make Tolkien Tolkien though), but Return of the King is my favorite of the three so it's something to look forward to.

It's nothing compared to The Simlarillion. That was a tough read, though I want to read it again just so I can understand Eä a little better.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

My 9-year-old brother read The Hobbit.

The books I was interested in had to be put on hold so I could read some stuff for school. So far, I've read:

Mountains Beyond Mountains - Kidder - It was decent, for a school-assigned book. I probably wouldn't have read it if I had a choice.

A Walk in the Woods - Bryson - This one was surprisingly good. Bryson writes well, and there seems to be a good joke every few pages, mixed in with the story and some RFS about conserving wildlife.

The Scarlet Letter - Still reading this one. It's not too bad, but it is quite wordy. I believe one sentence had over 80 words in it in the first chapter.

I finished Red Pyramid - I loved it :thumbsup: Now I'm reading Heat Wave haha.

Posted Image

Glad you liked it! :) So, I went to Barnes and Nobles today, and guess what the first thing I saw was? :P

[hide]68242988.JPG[/hide]

Available for pre-order now, comes out October 12, 2010. :thumbup:

- - -

Also, I'm really, really enjoying The Hobbit! Like I said, I was hesitant to read it due to my dislike of the LotR books, (*yawn*), but that hesitation was misplaced; I've only just now got to the Riddles in the Dark chapter, and Bilbo has just escaped Gollum's clutches.

I'm quite excited to keep on reading! :)

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

Glad you liked it! :) So, I went to Barnes and Nobles today, and guess what the first thing I saw was? :P

[hide]68242988.JPG[/hide]

Available for pre-order now, comes out October 12, 2010. :thumbup:

- - -

Also, I'm really, really enjoying The Hobbit! Like I said, I was hesitant to read it due to my dislike of the LotR books, (*yawn*), but that hesitation was misplaced; I've only just now got to the Riddles in the Dark chapter, and Bilbo has just escaped Gollum's clutches.

I'm quite excited to keep on reading! :)

Yeah I stumbled across that a few weeks ago! :thumbsup: Already pre-ordered it, I'm definitely looking forward to it!

I'm glad that you're enjoying The Hobbit! :) It's definitely a fun read!

Posted Image

Hm, I'm reading The Old Man and The Sea. I bought yesterday and will probably finish today because it is such a small book. It is interesting but not as gripping as Hemingway's previous works.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

Now reading the third book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series, Memories of Ice. I love this series, and I can't stress enough how good it is. I typically hate fantasy, but this series is so fast paced and descriptive without being Tolkien-esque descriptive. The overabundance of characters and complicated plot can get annoying, I hate having to look through the books glossary all the time to see who someone is or what something is. But it's overall a great series so far.

I tried to read Red Pyramid but got really bored. I don't know why, I made it through the Percy Jackson books. Something just didn't click with me though. Oh well.

Finally got around to writing my sci-fi/cyberpunk/cop book The Neon Sea. I'm so happy to start on it, it's been quite a few months in the thinking process.

I just finished 'The Perks of being a Wallflower'. I enjoyed it a lot. Apparently it's somewhat similar to 'The Catcher in the Rye'?

We'll sneak out while they sleep

And sail off in the night.

We'll come clean and start over the rest of our lives.

When we're gone, we'll stay gone.

Out of sight, out of mind.

It's not too late,

We have the rest of our lives.

Well, about two days ago I finished reading The Hobbit. J. R. R. Tolkien is still far from being one of my favorite authors, but it certainly changed my views on his writing for the better.

I (shouldn't-be-spending-money-but-I-did-anyway) went to Barnes and Nobles the other day and bought a copy of The Fellowship of the Ring, and started reading it last night. Maybe I'll like it more than I did the first time I read it...?

I just finished 'The Perks of being a Wallflower'. I enjoyed it a lot. Apparently it's somewhat similar to 'The Catcher in the Rye'?

You've never read The Catcher in the Rye? :blink: Or am I misunderstanding you? Perhaps it's not the same in Australia, but it's pretty much required reading in the States.

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

Nope, I've never read it. I probably should..

By the way I live in New Zealand.

We'll sneak out while they sleep

And sail off in the night.

We'll come clean and start over the rest of our lives.

When we're gone, we'll stay gone.

Out of sight, out of mind.

It's not too late,

We have the rest of our lives.

Well, about two days ago I finished reading The Hobbit. J. R. R. Tolkien is still far from being one of my favorite authors, but it certainly changed my views on his writing for the better.

I (shouldn't-be-spending-money-but-I-did-anyway) went to Barnes and Nobles the other day and bought a copy of The Fellowship of the Ring, and started reading it last night. Maybe I'll like it more than I did the first time I read it...?

You've never read The Catcher in the Rye? :blink: Or am I misunderstanding you? Perhaps it's not the same in Australia, but it's pretty much required reading in the States.

I've read it, and I live in New Zealand. I thought it was alright, but didn't deserve the massive amount of praise lumped onto it...

Now, To Kill a Mockingbird on the other hand. Amazing.

lampost_sig_stark.png

What book comes after The Red Pyramid?...

Still haven't gotten to the newest book in the Nicholas Flamel/Alchemyst series. Don't remember what it's called.

Anybody read Mockingjay (last book in the Hunger Games trilogy) yet? Did you like it?

I has a book club meeting on Monday. We has a theme for the year, 'Classics'. I is quite excited.

For college I am reading two books for english literature, The Secret History - Donna Tartt. A Room With A View - E.M.Forster

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

What book comes after The Red Pyramid?...

The Red Pyramid only came out in May so as of right now, it is the only one in the series. From a Wikipedia Article:

Rick Riordan has announced that there will be a sequel coming out in May 2011, and the last book in the trilogy will be released in May 2012. The characters' adventures will not be continuous, but will go year-by-year. Riordan says Carter and Sadie will be one year older per book and become stronger.

Posted Image